Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

MMF Freeway posted:

I kinda like the idea of a depreciated PoE1. The game already feels like its out of runway and by Chris' own admission things are getting silly.

I'm sorry, but the silliness of the game is why I play it.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

GOOD notablekeystone

my idea was "explosives get placed automatically and randomly" but thats just as good

I'm not sure that is entirely desirable so long as immunity nodes still exist, seems like a good way to brick expeditions because one or two immunity nodes are smack in the center.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

EVIL Gibson posted:

I'm sorry, but the silliness of the game is why I play it.

To quote Jonathan, "We still want you to break the game and do silly things, but in PoE1 you could fire like 500 loving projectiles a second"

They just want to tone it down a bit I think.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
...and?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm not sure that is entirely desirable so long as immunity nodes still exist, seems like a good way to brick expeditions because one or two immunity nodes are smack in the center.

What if you...don't put the explosive in range of the immunities that you can't do?

:2monocle::2monocle::2monocle::2monocle:

The explosive range is not gigantic that it is the whole map and there's a reason why the extended the placement range

Not a big deal

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Hearing they will keep poe 1 around is not going to assuage my fear of half baked leagues

Also splitting the userbase in a trade economy sounds terrible ngl.

Are they that afraid of people not like liking poe2 that much that they are keeping 1?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
why can't i fire 5000 projectiles a second

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

EVIL Gibson posted:

What if you...don't put the explosive in range of the immunities that you can't do?

:2monocle::2monocle::2monocle::2monocle:

The explosive range is not gigantic that it is the whole map and there's a reason why the extended the placement range

Not a big deal

He's referring to Flavah's idea to have it randomly blow up remnants. Single big explosive is fine because you get to choose what gets blown up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
is it this johnathan schmuck who is stopping me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

InventorOfTrees posted:

there is absolutely zero chance they charge money for poe2

I would only accept paying for PoE2 if it included a single player offline mode.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The league page “confirms” that the skill tree is literally your soul

That’s interesting

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

boredsatellite posted:

Hearing they will keep poe 1 around is not going to assuage my fear of half baked leagues

Also splitting the userbase in a trade economy sounds terrible ngl.

Are they that afraid of people not like liking poe2 that much that they are keeping 1?

POE1 has been on life support for the last year and a half with only eight people working on it.

They were trying to get PoE2 out before the end of the year, but they realized that wasn't going to happen, so they pushed it back. Since they know PoE1 isn't going to make it that long on life support, they are now back to a real staff for this coming league, and ostensibly all leagues going forward until PoE2.

https://clips.twitch.tv/LongShinySproutSpicyBoy-avuh_V64hIGH9D3d

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I hope they eventually stop repeating dumb things like champion's melee damage on the small nodes. Having dead travel nodes for an ignite build feels terrible.

InventorOfTrees posted:

POE1 has been on life support for the last year and a half with only eight people working on it.

No loving way.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Granstein posted:

(although like I said, they came right out and said most support gems have zero added dps)

You've said this twice, but I didn't catch it in what I watched. Which segment was this in and who said it? I should check the writeups folks have done to see if it's there too, I guess.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

pork never goes bad posted:

You've said this twice, but I didn't catch it in what I watched. Which segment was this in and who said it? I should check the writeups folks have done to see if it's there too, I guess.

iirc rory said it in the skill design segment

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

pork never goes bad posted:

Skill design segment. From what I recall what he said roughly was that most skill gems will change the functionality of skills but not their damage, and a smaller number will change the damage while adding a drawback (I think increased cast time was his example, but don't quote me on that as I'm half asleep).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So safe to assume once PoE2 is released PoE1 is going back to 8 person life support?

Probably more people were working on ruthless then PoE1 for awhile.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hey all. After doing nothing but following guides, I've decided that I want to try making my own build for once. Since I really like chain lightning effects, I decided to make an Elementalist that uses Arc (and secondly, Storm Brand). Could anyone with more knowledge than I do with PoE builds help me with this thing? I'm pretty sure this build could be leagues better, for instance, I only have 99% extra life.

https://pastebin.com/CDcSA3Ed is the Path of Building import code

Notes/Explanations for stuff:

Arc: Main skill. In order of importance the supports are: Lightning Penetration > Spell Echo > Archmage > Chain > Added Lightning Damage
Storm Brand: I It looked cool and looked like I could throw it on for bosses for extra damage? Supports in order of importance: Lightning Penetration > Concentrated Effect (this should work I think) > Swiftbrand > Archmage > Added Lightning Damage
Wrath: If I'm parsing this right, Eternal Blessing makes this entirely free for reservation, so I just have extra damage. I'm not really planning on having other auras, so this should be fine, right?
Lightning Warp: Main escape skill. Faster Casting/Less Duration/Swift Affliction should make this much faster, I think. I could always just replace this with Frostblink or Flame Dash.
Sigil of Power: Cool buff I found. Increased Area of Effect gives me more room to fool around in? This is a mana heavy build since I do want Archmage on my two attack skills.
Wave of Conviction: For Lightning Exposure.
Immortal Call: Defense.
Conductivity: Curse stuff that I want to die harder.

Jewel Sockets: I don't grab these immediately, the normal ones I grab whenever I find/buy a good jewel during gameplay, and the large ones I pick up at the very end of my tree, since it looks like that's where they're best used? And it gives me time to find a good Large Cluster Jewel.

The tree in general: I immediately head to Breath of Lightning (grabbing Deep Thoughts, Heart and Soul, and Practical Application on the way), then head immediately to Iron Will, grabbing Crackling Speed and Mental Rapidity as I go past them. After I get Iron Will, I start grabbing the defensive masteries I passed along the way, saving the southern defensive masteries for later on (and Cannibalistic Rites for dead last before I head into the Cluster Jewels setup, if I even want Cannibalistic Rites at all). I might grab Lightning Mastery again to take the extra crit vs Lightning Exposed enemies bonus on account of Elemental Overload.

Ascendencies: Mastermind of Discord > Bastion of Elements > Shaper of Storms > Heart of Destruction.

And lastly, I'd specify Superior/Divergent/Whatever for the support gems, but they seem pretty straightforward, and I don't think I'll ever find them myself, so I'll just make snap judgments whenever I get them. I don't strictly play SSF, but I don't interact with trading a whole lot.

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 29, 2023

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

They were trying to get PoE2 out before the end of the year, but they realized that wasn't going to happen, so they pushed it back. Since they know PoE1 isn't going to make it that long on life support, they are now back to a real staff for this coming league, and ostensibly all leagues going forward until PoE2.

I have big doubts of how poe 1 leagues will be done along with poe 2 leagues. If you think they won't have undermanned teams doing poe1 things because the focus is on poe2 leagues, that's naive.

But it was wild hearing how small the team working on poe 1 was. Explains a lot

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

InventorOfTrees posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope those 8 people are very well paid.

Even with mediocre leagues here and there they've put out some great changes and improvements.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I saw someone in a town earlier who looked like a ~30 foot tall statue. What MTX is that? Definitely made me laugh.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

boredsatellite posted:

I have big doubts of how poe 1 leagues will be done along with poe 2 leagues. If you think they won't have undermanned teams doing poe1 things because the focus is on poe2 leagues, that's naive.

They'll focus on whichever one makes the most money

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

whypick1 posted:

He's referring to Flavah's idea to have it randomly blow up remnants. Single big explosive is fine because you get to choose what gets blown up.

Oh! Then Rasputin is correct that random explosions would suck utterly.

Sorry Ras!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

I saw someone in a town earlier who looked like a ~30 foot tall statue. What MTX is that? Definitely made me laugh.

legacy character size gear, not mtx

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

InventorOfTrees posted:

With a bias toward 2 at first because they'll want that one to be the future, but yeah in the long run supporter packs are king and if one of them is significantly underperforming it's going to get a lot fewer dev resources.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

InventorOfTrees posted:

Oh def but I will laugh if poe 1 was the most profitable

Also guy on stream talking about how revisiting harbinger is not completly off table but would have be different in terms of league mechanics.

I have always been curious what they were harbingers for

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frank Frank posted:

There are some item rewards from old races and competitions that give +% character size. Not a purchasable micro transaction

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
They really want to slow down the game, but they have specifically cited that slowing down the game killed Marvel Heroes and that they want to avoid that fate. I think this is their way of keeping an insurance policy in case somehow POE2 blows up in their face.

J
Jun 10, 2001

InventorOfTrees posted:

The animation talk had an entire segment on how every animation has 4-5 different animation tiers that fire depending on what cast/attack speed theshhold you're at so it always looks natural. He specifically said he expects things to get ludicrously fast because "that's just how this game works".

Animation guy: "I'll do what I can with the 3 frames I have"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

InventorOfTrees posted:

They really want to slow down the game, but they have specifically cited that slowing down the game killed Marvel Heroes and that they want to avoid that fate. I think this is their way of keeping an insurance policy in case somehow POE2 blows up in their face.

I feel like they're all over the place when they talk about it, like they've repeatedly said it's harder but then also said it shouldn't be much slower for the median player, while being slower for top players, and I just don't see how that all comes together. 100% agree on the ongoing support for 1 being an insurance policy though.

Actually I saw an interview they did where they talked about the Diablo 4 issues and I feel like one thing they might be doing now is starting things off in a place where they won't have to nerf anything early on and can just buff things for a bit until they find a level that makes people happy, so they can avoid the buzzsaw D4 just ran into.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Both seemed like bad options to me honestly, having to squeeze a giant circle between a few immunities and just not being able to snake around the bad nodes means you absolutely will end up with maps where you can't do the expedition or get any good nodes because you got to plop it on a corner away from everything or not at all.

The upside is sometimes you can just plop it down and detonate immediately with a 1 second glance at the stat box with minimal downtime, but you just gotta accept that sometimes there will be a perfect triangle of immunity mods around that the fat circle will always cover no matter where you move it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
actually seeing the game they're developing i get the somewhat slowed down vision a lot more, but man i think they're just developing two very different games. the slowed down stuff applied to poe 1 just didn't work wrt what people actually want out of the game

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Both seemed like bad options to me honestly, having to squeeze a giant circle between a few immunities and just not being able to snake around the bad nodes means you absolutely will end up with maps where you can't do the expedition or get any good nodes because you got to plop it on a corner away from everything or not at all.

The upside is sometimes you can just plop it down and detonate immediately with a 1 second glance at the stat box with minimal downtime, but you just gotta accept that sometimes there will be a perfect triangle of immunity mods around that the fat circle will always cover no matter where you move it.

Honestly ngl I love expedition runs but the moment I lose focus and go on autopilot I'll accidentally blow up bits I shouldn't and mentally slap myself for being stupid

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I can sort of see why PoE1 and 2 aren't merging into compatible games anymore, but it also means they spent years beta testing PoE2 on PoE1 with stuff like archnemesis and using PoE2 assets as PoE1 hand-me-downs with a plan that changed at some point during development, just hope more QoL will be backported to 1.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Crucible was my first go at PoE and I enjoyed it until the third(?) labyrinth. I think I died a few times then took a break for Diablo 4 beta. Every time I thought about logging back in to PoE I remembered that I was on labyrinth and decided to do anything else.

Despite that I'm now kind of burned out on D4 and watching the exilecon stream has me both excited for POE2 especially the new gem system and thinking of giving poe another try next league. Hopefully there's a build out there that lets you ignore or cheese those loving lever and trap rooms

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

One thing that kind of sucks about them not being able to merge the games is that poe1 won't get the atlas maps from 2 now (and vice versa assuming 2's still going to get an atlas), but I guess that's supposed to be part of the selling point for playing both.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Crucible was my first go at PoE and I enjoyed it until the third(?) labyrinth. I think I died a few times then took a break for Diablo 4 beta. Every time I thought about logging back in to PoE I remembered that I was on labyrinth and decided to do anything else.

Despite that I'm now kind of burned out on D4 and watching the exilecon stream has me both excited for POE2 especially the new gem system and thinking of giving poe another try next league. Hopefully there's a build out there that lets you ignore or cheese those loving lever and trap rooms

Just overlevel them significantly and you can mostly ignore the traps, but do it before Kitava.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Boy, the colors on whatever Preach is playing right now is terrible. In that there aren't any. This is the brownest/grayest screen I've seen since Quake launched, lol.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wonder why ggg thinks it's a good idea to showcase gameplay with undergeared characters against these mobs

People say it's to show off animations and such but you can do that easily with other showcases.

But this looks dull. Like if I were in act 6 and 7 or something with 2 links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

M. Night Skymall posted:

Just overlevel them significantly and you can mostly ignore the traps, but do it before Kitava.

Oh poo poo really? I could have sworn I saw a video where someone said they did damage as a percentage of your life