Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Peanut President posted:

they do it in chicago

DC too. DC is also getting rid of right on red, but not until 2025. I'm hoping surrounding municipalities will harmonize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Peanut President posted:

they do it in chicago

and yet somehow every single car lurches forward thinking that the light will immediately change

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Hot Diggity! posted:

and yet somehow every single car lurches forward thinking that the light will immediately change

You're lucky if they actually stop at reds and behind the crosswalk/bike lane where I'm at. You also get to watch at greenlights sometimes how long it will take a line of drivers to look up from their phones to realize the light is green. Driving is a land of contrasts

Mauser fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 28, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

there are a few crosswalks near me with an interval for pedestrians but it is so rare that I assume some poor fucker purchased each one with their life :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know if this is the right thread for this or not. I'm considering getting a bike to start working out. There are several long trails in my area that I can ride. I know that bikes can be expensive and I'm tall (6'4" 280 lbs). Is there a bike in the $200 range that would be suitable for this?

Height: 6'4
Inseam: 31" to 32"
Budget: $200
Length of commute: This is more for exercise than commute, but if I do have to go back to the office it would be about a 9 mile commute
Terrain: Flat
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://kansascity.craigslist.org/

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 28, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you have pictures of the trail terrain?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I couldn't find any good pictures, but most are flat (a 9 mile trail has 375 ft of elevation). They are all well paved, flat, and well maintained.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I couldn't find any good pictures, but most are flat (a 9 mile trail has 375 ft of elevation). They are all well paved, flat, and well maintained.

That's gorgeous.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this or not. I'm considering getting a bike to start working out. There are several long trails in my area that I can ride. I know that bikes can be expensive and I'm tall (6'4" 280 lbs). Is there a bike in the $200 range that would be suitable for this?

Length of commute: This is more for exercise than commute, but if I do have to go back to the office it would be about a 9 mile commute
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://kansascity.craigslist.org/

add $300 to your budget

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

add $300 to your budget

I dunno. OP could probably ride a $200 walmart special once or twice before it started crapping out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

add $300 to your budget

That is a real bummer to hear :-/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Here are some big frames in that range:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/kansas-city-fuji-espree-64cm-road-bike/7640948883.html
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/kansas-city-schwinn-letour-bicycle/7644925207.html

Both have new tires at least not some rotten old things that would immediately leave you stranded.

Be aware these are very much vintage frames - no modern braking, gear shifting, or large comfortable tires here. But it'll move quickly down those smooth flat paths.

$200 is a budget for a walmart kids' toy or something 30 years old like those. New tires, new bar tape, throw out that weird gel seat cover thing, learn to change a flat tire and you can go pretty far.

At least up to say $1,500 you totally get what you pay for. Modern bikes are amazing.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 29, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

That is a real bummer to hear :-/

It's doable with a used bike at $200, but you're gonna need to know what you're doing as far as maintenance and repair and even just new tubes and a pump will cut into it. Do you have a co-op near you?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It looks like there are a few co-ops in my area

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Check the coops if they sell bikes or help/teach maintenance. Mine does all of that and they have bikes they sell for under $200 that have been fixed up by volunteers. Knowing how to do even basic stuff will help save you a lot of money.

Alternative would be to look on craigslist or Facebook and try to find a reputable brand like Trek, Cannondale, etc. If you go looking and post some links people can help

Mauser fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 29, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
that fuji doesn't look awful... but compared to spending the same amount again on like a used baseline domane or something similar, would be a complete night and day difference in the quality of bike you are getting. You would be so much happier on a nicer bike. If you did a gofundme I would kick you a few bucks to make it more affordable

I'm a fan of dropshipping bikes but in that case you have to be really good at working on bicycles

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
At the same time, the worse the bike, the better your workout!!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The used market around here is insane. It’s all walmart level pieces of poo poo with a few diamonds in the rough. I bought my kid a 24” rigid MTB for $250 with new tires, new chain, 8spd and hydro brakes, the guy even *drove it to us*.

Nettle Soup posted:

A friend did send me this the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhW1TrkFstQ
These are super common round these parts. I only bought a few because the sales support the trail crews.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 29, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Here are some big frames in that range:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/kansas-city-fuji-espree-64cm-road-bike/7640948883.html
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/kansas-city-schwinn-letour-bicycle/7644925207.html

Be aware these are very much vintage frames - no modern braking, gear shifting, or large comfortable tires here.

You’ll have a shot at finding an older frame that specs 32mm tires, which would be great for that kind of road surface. Unfortunately, bikes meant to be sporty back then had skinny tires, which coupled with 280lbs will have to be pumped sky high to not sag too much.

6’4” means far fewer bikes that’ll fit you, so will take longer to see something come up. I’d expand my search to 60cm and 62cm frames, just so you can feel out a bigger range of sizes. Is 32” your pants or true inseam? Measure it like this:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No clue about banning right turn on red, but some rear end in a top hat nearly sideswiped me in the bus/bike lane the other day. They got the finger for that one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

No clue about banning right turn on red...
Here to help, OP: right turn on red is bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ham Equity posted:

Here to help, OP: right turn on red is bad.

Oh I'm well aware, but I don't know if Milwaukee has taken steps to blanket ban it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Measure it like this:

When I measured it that way it was 31.5 inches so that's why I said 31 - 32.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

iospace posted:

No clue about banning right turn on red, but some rear end in a top hat nearly sideswiped me in the bus/bike lane the other day. They got the finger for that one.

Welcome home https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975882

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

When I measured it that way it was 31.5 inches so that's why I said 31 - 32.

Ok, and have you had people remark on your El Greco torso?

The leg vs torso proportions are significant to bike fit, especially for older horizontal top tube bikes that are you in your price range because you don't want to get a bike whose standover is too tall for you, but you also don't want to get squashed front-back (saddle to handlebars) too much. It'll feel like your hands are too close to your hips.

I'm fairly confident you couldn't stand over the top tube of those two road bikes sweatpoteto linked, even though those are probably a little short lengthwise for you.
That can be fixed with swapping on a longer stem, but adds cost and makes finding a bike that works for you another step of challenging.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is there a bike on Amazon in the $400 to $500 range that you might recommend?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

No

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

SalTheBard posted:

I found one, but you'd have to commit to paying a pro at least $100 to build it

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Lightweight-Aluminum-7-Speed-Foldable/dp/B0897KJ43V

edit: I know many have had bad dahon experiences but the ones I've had to assemble and ride have been great

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SalTheBard posted:

I recommend never buying any bike or bike component from Amazon.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

wooger posted:

I got hosed on bike chains from Amazon, Amazon will bin all parts with the same SKU regardless of vendor or source so counterfeits get binned with good items from reputable vendors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SalTheBard posted:

On Bikesdirect.com? yes.

on Amazon? No.

Edit:

Actually here’s a Poseidon that you can get for $500 with a sign up coupon

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/flatbar-x

Also Dicks seems to have bottom-spec GT bikes of various ilks around/below that price. Can’t speak to their quality but I’ve liked their more expensive bikes fine, even the ones from the “bad” years.

Random Specialized hybrid, Idk anything about it but it fits the budget:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roll-2-0/p/216876

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 30, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

This for sure. Parts binning fucks everyone over but the scammers.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/shawnee-raleigh-technium-tri-lite/7641613393.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/shawnee-1987-schwinn-tempo-with-shimano/7638490616.html

Both of these might be on the small side. I'm also 6'4" but can ride some 58cm bikes. Depends if it has enough seatpost and reach. Since you're heavy, avoid spoke counts below 32.

You'll get way more bang for your buck buying used under $500. There are basically no worthwhile new bikes at the price imo. Do not buy any bike stuff from amazon

That Raleigh honestly looks pretty sick.

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 30, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You'll get way more bang for your buck buying used under $500. There are basically no worthwhile new bikes at the price imo. Do not buy any bike stuff from amazon

I think you’d have to get to maybe 800 before there’s enough value in warranty to make up for the lower spec.

But 500 is a promising budget for craiglist.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
a Jamis S3 is a steel commuter bike that is like $570 new. They are pretty OK even though it's a threaded headset and shimano tourney. 3x7 drivetrain gets it done and can easily be upgraded. also it's got eyelets for daysss

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got hosed on bike chains from Amazon, Amazon will bin all parts with the same SKU regardless of vendor or source so counterfeits get binned with good items from reputable vendors.

I bought a KMC chain and some missing links from Amazon not knowing about this issue but haven't used them yet. They look legit, but I'm not an expert. Is it best to just not use them and order them from the LBS instead?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Monoclinic posted:

I bought a KMC chain and some missing links from Amazon not knowing about this issue but haven't used them yet. They look legit, but I'm not an expert. Is it best to just not use them and order them from the LBS instead?

My KMC chain from Amazon had the missing links stolen from the package because you can do that without tearing the seal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

3x7 drivetrain gets it done and can easily be upgraded.

If you aren't experienced, it'll take a couple hours' shop time to swap. Not to mention the cost of the replacement minigroup. Though that could be as low as 30-50 for a mid tier 9spd set.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Monoclinic posted:

It was fake KMC chains that I got screwed on, they looked legit but wore out fast. LBS thought one of these counterfeit chains with ~200 miles on it was > 1,400 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now, gold Connex, surely no one would counterfeit those…

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 1, 2023