Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, turns out the Maquis are a bunch of dumbasses. Remember the time when some of the Maquis were sneering at Starfleet discipline, so Chakotay says "oh you wanna do things the Maquis way, huh?" and just hauls off and knocks him on his rear end? Sounds like a real effective organization there.

I just watched that episode last night and that bit got a lol out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Eh, there's gas giants near by you can just grab a bunch of water from and get as much oxygen as you need pretty much.

It's barely anything on a planetary scale, scoop it from Earth, it's fine.

Earth loses about a hundred thousand tons of air a year to solar wind and simple evaporation into space.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 28, 2023

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The Icarus Factor: A potentially bland, but mildly enjoyable space station stopover with some soapy drama about Riker's dad, who is MANLY MANS, just like his lad. It's all very low stakes, Riker given the option to captain his own ship or not. I mean, we know how that pans out, right? Anyway, the episode offers up two fantastic absurdities; Worf's ridiculous ascension ritual thingy and Riker and his old man having some utterly daft Gladiators stick fight, complete with plastic looking suits of armour, ending in some very cheesy dialogue that would have worked much better in that Royale hotel a few episodes ago. But y'know, when the old man finally offers up "I love ya son!" and they hug? AAWWWW.

Pen Pals: A fine one, nothing exceptional, just nicely acted "what will we do about the Prime Directive?" type stuff. I liked all the stuff with Wesley having his first taste of command, that was all very well done, him lacking confidence, expecting conflict when there wasn't any, etc. When the TOS looking little alien girl waddled in, I did smirk a bit, but it was fine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

It's barely anything on a planetary scale, scoop it from Earth, it's fine.

Earth loses about a hundred thousand tons of air a year to solar wind and simple evaporation into space.

We must find and take vengeance on all these "solar winds" for stealing all our precious air. :argh:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

dr_rat posted:

We must find and take vengeance on all these "solar winds" for stealing all our precious air. :colbert:

Solar wind mills give you space cancer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

I wonder if there's still Flat Earthers in the 2300s. "NO ANDORIANS ARE JUST PAID ACTORS"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Arivia posted:

I wonder if there's still Flat Earthers in the 2300s. "NO ANDORIANS ARE JUST PAID ACTORS"

"That one's real name is Jeffrey Combs!!!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

The solar wind kills all your birds of prey.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fighting Trousers posted:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"And this Mr. Combs is also a Vorta, a Tellarite, and a... Re-animator, is that correct?" says the psychiatrist.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

"And this Mr. Combs is also a Vorta, a Tellarite, and a... Re-animator, is that correct?" says the psychiatrist.

No, no there was this alien race called the Progenitors you see, and along time ago they seeded planets all around the galaxy with their DNA and um the Progenitors were an alien race that looked a lot like Jeffery combs I guess? So that's why all these aliens look like Jeffery Combs. I'm not crazy i tell you, I'm not crazy!!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pulaski owns because she boned Riker's dad and then didn't care to tell Riker about it because it's none of his business

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pulaski just owned in general.

Other than with treating infectious diseases. God that episode had some dumb medicine in it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Needs to be said by a character played by Tracy Morgan.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

CPColin posted:

Pulaski owns because she boned Riker's dad and then didn't care to tell Riker about it because it's none of his business

It almost, ALMOST redeems her for all the smirking shittiness towards Data.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
She busted him up

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ate there any good Trek Discord servers?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Ate there any good Trek Discord servers?

I’m sure there are a lot of them out there, dunno how many are good.

I’ve been in this one for a while. Which I guess is maybe the biggest one?

https://discord.gg/startrek

I’d kind of like to find a smaller one.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Q Who: WELL. No surprises for who guest stars here. The big surprise (for me) is the introduction of the Borg, in an episode that starts off with Ensign Cutesy McFlibertygibbets dousing Picard with hot chocolate no less. It is a pretty fantastic intro, even if honestly, I've always been of the opinion that their whole vibe in ship and costuming was "whatever scraps we've got knocking about in the effects department bins" or, to annoy my hardcore Trek loving IRL mates, "poo poo Cybermen". I have seen BoBW and First Contact (also, Picard S3, which finally convinced me I needed to try this show) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar, I just didn't realise they came in this early. That big pull out on the massive matte painting is wondrous stuff. Great sense of oncoming doom to it in that ending. Lastly, Ron Jones' score: :tviv:

The Samaritan Snare: Somebody a while back mentioned an episode where Troi is conveniently off the bridge just long enough for them to dump Geordie in the poo poo. Well, that's this one! While it has small problems (I know the Enterprise is suddenly on a time limit, but the whole Pakled thing resolves without them at least getting a "Ha, gently caress you" or any kind of rebuke), I enjoyed the quiet stuff with Picard and Wesley in the shuttle. The Pakleds themselves are so DORKY, I can't help but love them. Ensign Chococidal McManiac is back too, weirdly? Is she a low key constant recurring character like O'Brien or more a Janice Rand "just in this handful of episodes, gone and forgotten soon after"?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sonya Gomez is, uh, both? I don't think she's in too many TNG episodes, but she does come back later in Lower Decks. As do the Pakleds.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, those are the only two TNG episodes Gomez appears in. She got a bigger role in the novels and then came back for a Lower Decks spot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sonya Gomez got her hair cut and that was enough to get her cut from the show

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sonya Gomez is from Mars and has three boobs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

8one6 posted:

Sonya Gomez is from Mars and has three boobs.

This is only something Arnold Schwarzenegger day dreamed about because he was bored at his construction worker gig before be became an actor.

Turns out he never actually went to mars at all. The lies he told himself in the 80's!!!!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

Q Who: WELL. No surprises for who guest stars here. The big surprise (for me) is the introduction of the Borg, in an episode that starts off with Ensign Cutesy McFlibertygibbets dousing Picard with hot chocolate no less. It is a pretty fantastic intro, even if honestly, I've always been of the opinion that their whole vibe in ship and costuming was "whatever scraps we've got knocking about in the effects department bins" or, to annoy my hardcore Trek loving IRL mates, "poo poo Cybermen". I have seen BoBW and First Contact (also, Picard S3, which finally convinced me I needed to try this show) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar, I just didn't realise they came in this early. That big pull out on the massive matte painting is wondrous stuff. Great sense of oncoming doom to it in that ending. Lastly, Ron Jones' score: :tviv:

The Samaritan Snare: Somebody a while back mentioned an episode where Troi is conveniently off the bridge just long enough for them to dump Geordie in the poo poo. Well, that's this one! While it has small problems (I know the Enterprise is suddenly on a time limit, but the whole Pakled thing resolves without them at least getting a "Ha, gently caress you" or any kind of rebuke), I enjoyed the quiet stuff with Picard and Wesley in the shuttle. The Pakleds themselves are so DORKY, I can't help but love them. Ensign Chococidal McManiac is back too, weirdly? Is she a low key constant recurring character like O'Brien or more a Janice Rand "just in this handful of episodes, gone and forgotten soon after"?

The Pakleds make a return in several episodes of Lower Decks, where they've stolen and scavenged so much stuff that their ships are a legitimate threat.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Roadie posted:

The Pakleds make a return in several episodes of Lower Decks, where they've stolen and scavenged so much stuff that their ships are a legitimate threat.

That scene where they rip the Solvang to pieces still takes my breath away

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i lost my poo poo when they appeared and i will do so again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MuddyFunster posted:

A small part I like about Samaritan Snare is the lighting in the shuttlecraft. It probably didn't turn out as well on TVs with poor reception back then but I like that there were options for lighting besides the bland office lighting that every set took on in late TNG.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MuddyFunster posted:

Ensign Chococidal McManiac is back too, weirdly? Is she a low key constant recurring character like O'Brien or more a Janice Rand "just in this handful of episodes, gone and forgotten soon after"?

I believe the plan was to have her and Geordi to become an item. Not great to have him date a subordinate, but I really liked her and was sad not to see more of her.

The actress, Lycia Naff, had to get a short haircut for a different movie or show, and asked someone higher up at Star Trek if that was okay, and got a greenlight. When she'd had the cut, they were suddenly all "what did you dooooo" and cut her from the show.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm surprised they didn't just put her in one of Gates's wigs and pretend like nothing happened.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CPColin posted:

That scene where they rip the Solvang to pieces still takes my breath away

That's an amazing scene. I love the tonal shift from joking about that new starship smell to... that. poo poo just got real and there are real stakes in this episode. It helps that the slow pan over the aftermath is so eerily beautiful. Once of the best pieces of art direction in all of Star Trek, it has a deep impact on the viewer and gives them time to be emotionally ready for what happens afterwards.

I'm putting that episode on, it's good y'all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.io/hwe9ktg.mp4

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Sisko saying, "Fortune favors the bold," lands a lot different hearing it for the first time in 2023.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chilling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

That's an amazing scene. I love the tonal shift from joking about that new starship smell to... that. poo poo just got real and there are real stakes in this episode. It helps that the slow pan over the aftermath is so eerily beautiful. Once of the best pieces of art direction in all of Star Trek, it has a deep impact on the viewer and gives them time to be emotionally ready for what happens afterwards.

I'm putting that episode on, it's good y'all.

you're coming dangerously close to suggesting star trek is a good show. on the internet. in 2023. do you want to retract this obviously wrong opinion before youtubers eat you alive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

you're coming dangerously close to suggesting star trek is a good show. on the internet. in 2023. do you want to retract this obviously wrong opinion before youtubers eat you alive

gently caress them, star trek owns

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

davidspackage posted:

The actress, Lycia Naff, had to get a short haircut for a different movie or show, and asked someone higher up at Star Trek if that was okay, and got a greenlight. When she'd had the cut, they were suddenly all "what did you dooooo" and cut her from the show.

That is unbelievably lovely.

Well, that's unsettling. "Hahaha, comedy claw arm got the ship, how sill-JESUS CHRIST". I imagine that crew went into the situation like "Oh, it's those jackasses, this'll be a cinch."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The reason it explodes in a line like that is that the arm grabs the nacelle just before they try to jump to warp and escape, and the nacelle is crushed/ripped off right as they make the warp jump and it smears them across space.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

It's time for everyone's favourite game: Trek Showrunner or Internet Nazi!

You have three guesses to pick who in that picture is the actual for real Star Trek showrunner, the rest are avowed white supremacist YouTubers. Choose wisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

That is unbelievably lovely.

That's was actually more common occurrence than many would guess, and its not unusual for the actors to have a clause in their contract saying that they aren't allowed to do major changes to their looks without getting OK'd by the studio because this happened: https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2440169/keri-russell-was-responsible-for-felicitys-infamous-haircut