Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sanctuary is good, actually. We deserve a chill place of our own to go relax after saving the world and not all of us can afford housing (either in gil or irl maintaining a subscription)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Oxyclean posted:

I am legit a bit tilted because I really don't get how saying "why do people want more <X> it's just <reductive criticism>" is not rear end in a top hat posting, and catches no flak, but pointing out that post is being shortsighted with an alternate example is somehow rear end in a top hat posting. It's very hard not to come to the conclusion that it's just because of some posters personal preferences, and respond to hostility with more snark.

I don't want to make this place a less pleasant place to post & read, so sorry for not dropping this sooner.

why do people want more dungeons? they're just identical hallways, and it's actually good that 3 dungeons a patch died so that new ones can be more cinematic experiences

(this is sincere, though actually i think the "i want new experts" crowd has greatly diminished in size since stormblood, just like the "i want a challenging and deadly open world" crowd has near vanished since their heights in ARR)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mister Olympus posted:

why do people want more dungeons? they're just identical hallways, and it's actually good that 3 dungeons a patch died so that new ones can be more cinematic experiences

(this is sincere, though actually i think the "i want new experts" crowd has greatly diminished in size since stormblood, just like the "i want a challenging and deadly open world" crowd has near vanished since their heights in ARR)

Not me, give me more fuckin dungeons and less literally anything else.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Give me more big fish and less of what other people want IMO.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ibblebibble posted:

Give me more big fish and less of what other people want IMO.

Things that make me happy, in order:

1 - Fish
2 - Triple Triad cards
3 - Variant Dungeons
4 - Island Sanctuary

Delete all other content from the game, starting with Savage/Extreme content.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

island sanctuary is good, it's got cute lil sheeps that you can name, crops you can grow, and nifty buildings to upgrade, and if you feel like putting in a bit of clicking effort each day you can get a pile of free doh/dol materia, mounts, minions, titles, etc. it's the main reason i log in each day! i'm glad there's a discord bot that solves the math for me because i hate math. even though there's not actually any math, it's more of a simple logic puzzle, but i hate those too.

and i got to decorate my yard and when i go there it makes me happy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I also like Savage/Extreme content so as a compromise I would like to propose that they add fishing pools to S/E raids/trials that also have their own big fish.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ibblebibble posted:

I also like Savage/Extreme content so as a compromise I would like to propose that they add fishing pools to S/E raids/trials that also have their own big fish.

Require a ninth man - dedicated fisher - in every raid/trial.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Fister Roboto posted:

has anyone said dawntrail the dolphin yet

I was thinking about it and laughing about it but didn't want to mention it because I didn't want to remind people about Lowtax but thank you for being the one to bring it up

Mister Olympus posted:

Dungeons are my favorite content in the game, legitimately. I like having content that consistently takes 20-30 minutes, and having 3 bosses in the dungeons gives nice variety. As a lore fan, it's nice having areas to look around and appreciate, despite the majority of them being gussied-up straight lines. For hard mode dungeons, it was really cool seeing how places evolve over time and seeing differing paths through the dungeons.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

World War Mammories posted:

koji didn't have the loving courage to name pixies quests after songs by the pixies but maybe kate will step up where he failed

e: actually was kate head of localization at that time. who do i blame for this shortcoming

Yes, Kate's been localization head since ShB. They didn't announce it then, waiting until the Endwalker buildup to do so, because Koji's name was too big and they didn't have another project to announce he was working on. Koji's still involved as a "supervisor" here and there, but Kate's been leading the team since ShB's development.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I've not really done Island Sanctuary or the Forays much yet. I'm just saying that because I'm making clear I have no stake in whatever this is.

That said: my biggest concern for Dawntrail is where the gently caress is Tataru. Mama needs a beach holiday and cocktails!

Do people think we're going to get a new housing area at all, and if so, where will it be?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

lines posted:

I've not really done Island Sanctuary or the Forays much yet. I'm just saying that because I'm making clear I have no stake in whatever this is.

That said: my biggest concern for Dawntrail is where the gently caress is Tataru. Mama needs a beach holiday and cocktails!

She's driving the boat.

e: Half joking. You can make out a lalafell steering the boat for like half a frame, and can't make out any color or style

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kate: still a threat. Koji in the background, encouraging and reinforcing that behavior, shedding a tear whenever Kate drops a pun even Koji wouldn't dare.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

lines posted:

Do people think we're going to get a new housing area at all, and if so, where will it be?

I very much doubt we'll be getting a new housing location in Dawntrail. Every time it's come up, YoshiP has basically said, "Please stop asking, we just gave you Ishgard, please enjoy it," with a subtext of, "It's so much goddamn work getting our housing servers to not blow up and take the rest of the game with them whenever we change something." They're increasing the furnishing limit with DT, so with them having to deal with all of the complications from that I don't think they're going to have the bandwidth to also add a new housing zone.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There won’t be new housing but you will have an opportunity to get scammed into a bad timeshare

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Still waiting on that Crystarium housing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I want my own airship and a promotion in my GC to reflect all the hard work I did for them during the Endwalker role quest.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just never got the impression that there was going to be something as big as Eureka/Bozja each expansion. Like that’s an entire alternate game mode based on old school MMOs.

Exactly. Games I explicitly left behind. There's plenty of games emphasizing that gameplay lòop.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Exactly. Games I explicitly left behind. There's plenty of games emphasizing that gameplay lòop.

brøther I crave the lööps

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Runa posted:

brøther I crave the lööps

Be strong for mother.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The good news is, if the expansion does turn out to be bad (unlikely) we can all call it Yawntrail!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dawnfail? Dawnbail? Many options.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Something has been bugging me. The WoL job being corsair or similar seems fairly obvious, but the style of sword they're using in the fight does not seem very piratey at all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fishers say trans rights.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I'm thinking that because Thancred and Urianger were talking about archons being approached for something back in 6.4 the split among the scions is going to be between archons and non archons, so one side will be Krile, G'raha, Y'shtola, Thancred and Urianger while the other side will be us, Erenville, Estinien, the twins, Zero if she's still around, and Tataru if she comes along.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If the Island Sanctuary actually looked and felt like an island sanctuary I'd probably spend more time there. But 99% of it is ugly and muddy looking. And the actual sanctuary bit looks drab.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's player housing without the waiting list.

it isn't because you can't place down indoor furnishing.

pray for my aunt posted:

Yes, CLL must be the one. For the record I'm fine with discord-sicko content like BA, and part it is on me for not doing the research into it. I had a fine time playing around in southern front but a terrible time trying to understand the systems, and then hit a poorly explained wall and just soured on the whole thing. (And now it is just dead content on my current server)

with the advent of DC travel you can try fishing around for a more active instance, depending on what server cluster you're on. and yeah, for older content generally discords are the way to go to help find other people. there's also tons of people willing to teach and help others through the content, myself included, if you're on NA and want help progressing through Bozja, let me know!

Mordiceius posted:

Good for you and your hardcore friends.

The developers, on the other hand, feel like it is important to allow solo-focused activities - as evidenced by making almost the entire MSQ solo-able.

practically the entire game is already a solo-focused activity - then folks stomp their feet that they have the gall to include multiplayer content in the form of forays. you can't please everyone, but hear me out, eureka and bozja are still active to this day on primal, and criterion dungeons died within a month of release of the first one. i'd rather they focus on content that has any sort of longevity.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 29, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Frida Call Me posted:

it isn't because you can't place down indoor furnishing.

with the advent of DC travel you can try fishing around for a more active instance, depending on what server cluster you're on. and yeah, for older content generally discords are the way to go to help find other people. there's also tons of people willing to teach and help others through the content, myself included, if you're on NA and want help progressing through Bozja, let me know!

practically the entire game is already a solo-focused activity - then folks stomp their feet that they have the gall to include multiplayer content in the form of forays. you can't please everyone, but hear me out, eureka and bozja are still active to this day on primal, and criterion dungeons died within a month of release of the first one. i'd rather they focus on content that has any sort of longevity.

People enjoy poo poo you don't and it's not going anywhere. It's arrogant and stupid to say content a lot of people enjoy "has no business" in the game. Sorry :shrug:

I don't touch savage,ult,bozja or eureka but I would never say remove them because I don't play them, or insult the content people enjoy. Island sanctuary is a relaxing vibe activity with nice rewards on a pretty map with your minions and animals and I'm sorry you don't see the value in it but Jesus, chill.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 29, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think they should focus on every type of content at once, thereby pleasing all gamers.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

what the gently caress happened itt i just want to post about baby mamool ja and the imminent alpaca mount

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Island Sanctuary is an affront to the MMO genre you see, a slap in the face if you will

E: The baby Mamool Ja were super adorable, absolutely

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

TheWorldsaStage posted:

People enjoy poo poo you don't and it's not going anywhere. It's arrogant and stupid to say content a lot of people enjoy "has no business" in the game. Sorry :shrug:

I don't touch savage,ult,bozja or eureka but I would never say remove them because I don't play them, or insult the content people enjoy. Island sanctuary is a relaxing vibe activity with nice rewards on a pretty map with your minions and animals and I'm sorry you don't see the value in it but Jesus, chill.

i don't find it relaxing at all, the content itself is shallow as gently caress and they've already put far too much dev time into it. at absolute best it's a solved harvest moon clone that the vast majority of people engage with purely for the passive gil-generation opportunities it offers.

you wouldn't insult savage,ultimates or bozja or eureka but you have no problem insulting me. i never asked for the content to be removed, so take your strawman and gently caress right off.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Frida Call Me posted:

i don't find it relaxing at all, the content itself is shallow as gently caress and they've already put far too much dev time into it. at absolute best it's a solved harvest moon clone that the vast majority of people engage with purely for the passive gil-generation opportunities it offers.

you wouldn't insult savage,ultimates or bozja or eureka but you have no problem insulting me. i never asked for the content to be removed, so take your strawman and gently caress right off.

First, again, sorry the content isn't for you. You aren't the only person to play the game. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean others don't enjoy it.

Also, no, you didn't call for it to be removed, I never said you did. What I put in quotation marks is what you said

Frida Call Me posted:

at least forays offer collaborative opportunities among multiple players, you know, the second M in "MMO". island sanctuary is distinctly single-player and the majority of people that i know that interact with it just do it to make cowries go up. i don't think it honestly has a place in a subscription-based MMO.

gently caress off? But my you very angry about nothing at all aren't you. I'm giving my opinion like you are, if you don't like it you can kindly do so as well

E: I wasn't going to edit but gently caress it. As for insulting you, I'm not insulting Frida, the person behind the keyboard. I'm saying that asserting something you don't like but others do doesn't have a place in the game is an arrogant and stupid thing to say, which I think we all can agree is just a factual statement.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 29, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"All content that isn't specifically what I wanted is wasted dev time" is some old school cursed MMO fan logic. I guess the Eureka/Bozja was inside us all along.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I like the Island for what it is but I do kind of wish there was more variety of stuff to do in it. Now that I've developed it, it feels like it's pretty much running itself. I go there once a week to plug a bunch of stuff into a spreadsheet, burn a bunch of scrips to restock on Hi-Cordials and Materia, and maybe go harvest something (Laver :argh: ) occasionally

But also, I don't see any reason why the new island can't have a different minigame that's a little more involved, so I'm gonna hope for that

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
As someone who started the sanctuary stuff and then promptly never touched it again, I'm fine with it.

I'm not the dev team, nor am I the arbiter of what does or does not belong in an MMO that has a lot more people playing it than me.

The absence of blitzball is, however, unacceptable for the following reasons:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All we know is that it's lifestyle content. It might be completely different to the Island in every way.

It might be a Blitzball team management sim.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Every new feature I, personally, don't like is another copy/paste, down+b counter JRPG McSwordsguy holding us back from a glorious Scrimblo world."
:goonsay:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 29, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

blitzball manager 2024 will be acceptable if they borrow a track from Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB1xI74hl-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
An entire International SuperStar Soccer soundtrack remixed by Soken would be... Intresting.