Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Saw the above by Andy Clark and wanted to do a slightly more stylized take on nighttime Headhunters:

Now I just have to figure out how to base them to match the rest of my Martian based Alpha Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Those look great, especially the eyes!

I'm trying to get back to painting. Turns out you can finish projects instead of letting them linger for literal decades!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I would love to hear some suggestions for colour scheme ideas for these space fleets:

Udoxian

K’shellik

I was thinking fiery orange with navy accents on the udoxian, and light blue gradient to white on the other?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Loden Taylor posted:

Now I just have to figure out how to base them to match the rest of my Martian based Alpha Legion.

Those are sweet as heck. This thread is always inspiring.

I am having trouble with fine detail work on my minis. Take the Ork in progress below.

As you can see I plan to have his goggles black rimmed with orange eyes. Several of his Kommando friends have similar face mask situations I plan to do with black rim around orange. But with my detail brush I just can't get the black paint right where I want it, and then when I correct I can't get the orange paint only where I want it, and I'm a couple iterations of covering smudges into this and stopping before I glom on too much. Skill issue or should I try, like, using a toothpick or bent staple to apply the itty bits?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What fine detail brush are you using?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Skill issue and/or tool issue. Maybe your paintbrush sucks and doesn't have a sharp enough tip. Maybe your paint needs to be a bit thinner on the black to more easily flow so you're not having to press the brush as hard which ends up making the bristles spring onto the orange area. Maybe you've just got shakey hands and need to work on finding positions and angles that work for you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm betting the tip isn't sharp enough, or the black paint sucks. The latter can be fixed by mixing black ink into black paint

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

how are the rims delineated on the model or is this detail you're adding? A thinned black that flows around a raised goggle rim or into a recessed rim would work if this is a detail present on the model.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Finally tried some NMM and followed the Warcom guide on painting your own Titan insignia.

Quite rough round the edges but I keep telling myself it'll look good from 3 feet.

Now the hard part is working up the courage to paint the actual totem over the top of it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Z the IVth posted:

Finally tried some NMM and followed the Warcom guide on painting your own Titan insignia.

Quite rough round the edges but I keep telling myself it'll look good from 3 feet.

Now the hard part is working up the courage to paint the actual totem over the top of it.

Looks great, especially as a first try.

Now I need to do the same thing x3 and make a Nurgle machine with that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Z the IVth posted:

where's the ring

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Silhouette posted:

where's the ring

It's the gold thing in the middle of the picture

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

You should be really happy with these. They certainly are a tad rough in spots, but it really comes together in the timg, which is a scale that more accurately represents seeing it on the table.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bit of a cheeky crosspost from the Miniature Wargaming thread but I really like how these figures have turned out on the table : nice and vibrant and readable from a distance:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wow, that looks amazing! I need to get some pics of my games, I don't think they'll look this nice though.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have an Army Painter "Hobby Brush: Small Detail." With a brown handle, from a three-brush starter set. I'll thin the paints more and accept that practice will have to make perfect on this.

edit and it's Abaddon Black paint

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SuperKlaus posted:

I have an Army Painter "Hobby Brush: Small Detail." With a brown handle, from a three-brush starter set. I'll thin the paints more and accept that practice will have to make perfect on this.

If you're not, try painting the brush towards you, like a lower case letter L. Turn the model so that works for the part of the rim you're on.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SuperKlaus posted:

In addition to the other advice, Abaddon Black is one of GW's 'bad' paints and that's probably contributing to the issues you're having. You might find something like Black Legion (which is from the Contrast paint range) might work better since it has amazing coverage combined with the contrast medium which makes it flow really nicely off the brush. You can also thin down Black Legion with more contrast medium or water to make it into something similar to Nuln Oil or a black glaze depending on what you want to do with it.

I'm also personally a big fan of Vallejo Model Colour Black (70.950) as your base for this sort of stuff but that'll need a fair bit of thinning just like Abaddon Black does.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vallejo Model Air black straight from the bottle is king.

Vallejo Premium Black is also super amazing but needs thinning.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/premium-rc-color/black-62020/
this stuff

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lamuella posted:

It's the gold thing in the middle of the picture

the rare inverse goatse

the estoag

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Got caught up on painting some more Smurfs Ultramarines over the last couple of days.

For those curious, here's the recipe I used for their power armor (E: forgot to add the shading wash step)

1. Prime black
2. Basecoat VGC Extra Opaque Heavy Blue (I believe this is going to be retired now the new VGC line has launched. Supposedly VMC Prussian Blue is an equivalent color; I ordered a bottle along with another bottle of the Heavy Blue so hopefully I'll be able to find out here before long)
3. Apply a dark blue wash for shading (I used Army Painter Blue Quickshade on some, and a 10:1 mix of Pledge Floor Care/Daler-Rowney indigo ink on others)
4. Drybrush Army Painter Gorgon Hide (I used a smaller drybrush for this; if you want to try for a smoother color transition, you could use a larger drybrush and drybrush an "intermediate" blue first, like AP's Electric Blue or something similar)
5. Clean up any splotches and overly drybrushed areas with the basecoat color, painting in such a way that you're basically "faking" the edge highlight on the armor
6. Apply a glaze of 4 parts Vallejo Glaze Medium to 1 part GW Talassar Blue Contrast paint all over. Let that dry and then apply a second glaze of the same mixture
7. Step back and marvel at how blue your rinse water has gotten

Along with the power armor on these dudes, I also did the gold parts of their armor, painted the two heads of the non-helmeted guys and the "skull" parts of the Reiver troops, along with the "soft" ribbed armor parts (painted a medium grey and then washed with Pro Acryl Black Wash). Still got some more to do (weapons, purity seals, etc.), but so far I'm pretty pleased with how they're coming along.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 29, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

Wow, that looks amazing! I need to get some pics of my games, I don't think they'll look this nice though.

That’s really kind, thank you. The one thousandth point game used almost all of a Miniatures I have cash and to expand further really requires many more troopers. I think I’m going to sit on my hands until I have a game against my brother before I do any more!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I'm also personally a big fan of Vallejo Model Colour Black (70.950) as your base for this sort of stuff but that'll need a fair bit of thinning just like Abaddon Black does.

This is a great flat black. Reaper Master Series black is also great and a little thinner.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

the rare inverse goatse

the estoag

A skullse now

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

A skullse now

oh that's fantastic.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

A skullse now

Great work

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Z the IVth posted:

A skullse now

Hell yeah

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Just got in the Mordhiem with some friends. I've really enjoyed painting up these models but I've just knocked this guy after dealing with a sad sick kid.

And that's the three I've painted so far. What a blast this has been!

tehsid fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 29, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
airbrush painters, how are preparing your paints?

i got a couple dropper bottles that i mix up what i need in, but i find that i cant really tell how well mixed it is until it goes through the air brush and so far ive had more misses than hits.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I pretty much just mix in the airbrush now.

To test how thin it is, just take a drop on a paint brush and let it run down the side of the paint pot. You'll get a good idea of what's right pretty quickly

edit: transferring paint is yet another reason to keep a bunch of cheap-rear end brushes on your painting desk

edit edit: Before Justin made them illegal, I had a bunch of plastic drinking straws I would pipette thinners with. Just cut them short

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 29, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Jonny Nox posted:

I pretty much just mix in the brush now.

To test how thin it is, just take a drop on a paint brush and let it run down the side of the paint pot. You'll get a good idea of what's right pretty quickly

edit: transferring paint is yet another reason to keep a bunch of cheap-rear end brushes on your painting desk

I haven't used an airbrush in months, but one tip I read and always followed was to make sure you put the thinner in first before adding the paint, so that way unthinned paint isn't the first thing hitting your needle and nozzle when you go to mix it up.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, yeah.

That's important.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Jonny Nox posted:

I pretty much just mix in the airbrush now.

edit edit: Before Justin made them illegal, I had a bunch of plastic drinking straws I would pipette thinners with. Just cut them short

i tried mixing in the airbrush once or twice, but i felt like the majority of the paint just went down into the feed and i couldnt mix it properly, even with the help of a poo poo brush.

i dont know if you have a decent artists store near you, but you can get little plastic pipettes for like 30 cents a piece. the same style ones that came in the covid test kits.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I've seen a few people use those little dishlike metal mixing palettes so that the paint and thinner are properly mixed before it goes in the airbrush. Apparently this is a decent method for stopping the airbrush clogging.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
plastic shot glasses work pretty well for me. i was mixing in the cup with an old paint brush but for primer especially (at least vallejo primer anyway) i found that as the primer got older there'd be some chunks in the primer that I would want to filter out in the cup first.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bashed two kits together, thinking I might get into Horus Heresy.

Turns out I'm such a slow painter I might be done by the time fourth edition rolls around. :v:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Is that a wolf helmet or a rat helmet? Love it either way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Your mind was like "Space Wolves exist, so why not Space Rats? Is that one of the Space Rats?" :allears:

They refer to themselves as the Rattus Astra, btw.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lamuella posted:

This is a great flat black. Reaper Master Series black is also great and a little thinner.

Oh, if you want a flat, flat black, go with their NATO Black. I mean, the one is very much not glossy, but the NATO Black is on another level. It's an Air color, so no need to thin.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/model-air-en/nato-black-71251/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Your mind was like "Space Wolves exist, so why not Space Rats? Is that one of the Space Rats?" :allears:

They refer to themselves as the Rattus Astra, btw.

This led me to the belated discovery that two years ago ThatEvilOne did a kickstarter for a space rats minis collection and called them Vile Rattus.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thatevilone/cult-of-vile-rattus-a-cheese-stealer-cult/description