Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be careful out there, friends :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's woody chicken breast and it's everywhere in the us. the stripes, i mean. i dunno wtf is up with the gray chicken.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's woody chicken breast and it's everywhere in the us. the stripes, i mean. i dunno wtf is up with the gray chicken.

they're probably just bad at cooking

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its funny that the store sells packs of either three regular chicken breasts or two giant hgh ones. whos buying them, they dont even look real

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Saraiguma posted:

they're probably just bad at cooking

That or food storage

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ekuNNN posted:

Be careful out there, friends :ohdear:

lmao

the only way to mostly avoid it is buy the expensive chicken

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Yeah for some stuff I don't mind it, but making whole breasts its got pretty weird textures. I've bought 40 lb bulk breasts a lot and they always look like this. Fine for stir fry or grinding up, or whatever tho.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lmao

the only way to mostly avoid it is buy the expensive chicken

Yeah chicken and seafood are probably best paying more for the butcher counter at your local Whole Foods or equivalent if you can afford it or just going without. The regular stuff is just poo poo. Lots of premium products are bullshit but meat really does seem to have a quality difference

Personally I’ve just started eating meat a lot less but when I do I pay the premium

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah chicken and seafood are probably best paying more for the butcher counter at your local Whole Foods or equivalent if you can afford it or just going without. The regular stuff is just poo poo. Lots of premium products are bullshit but meat really does seem to have a quality difference

Personally I’ve just started eating meat a lot less but when I do I pay the premium

yeah same, I eat a lot less chicken than I used to as well for a number of reasons, including paying more for the fancy stuff.

you can also buy the cheapest chicken tenderloins to avoid it since it's usually only the thickest part of the breast that's affected, not the tender. or get on the dark meat train

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Boneless frozen thighs cost a dollar more than breasts. It used to be the opposite I feel?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

skooma512 posted:

Boneless frozen thighs cost a dollar more than breasts. It used to be the opposite I feel?

really? weird. that's not the case around here. they've all gone up in price, but thighs and legs are still generally cheaper than breasts

maybe that's like when flank steak got more expensive than tenderloin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skooma512 posted:

uhh yeah thighs have been cheaper than breasts as long as i've been alive

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

uhh yeah thighs have been cheaper than breasts as long as i've been alive

Could be that the store had regular breasts next to organic thighs or something like that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This was at a Trader Joe's in the San Fernando Valley. They don't offer organic chicken afaik

IIRC this is how chicken is priced in China because they prefer dark meat and think white meat is trash poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I feel like I'm going crazy. All the chicken at my grocery is like $3.50-6.50/lb, I used to be able to get everything below $2/lb. Pork is almost always cheaper now

e: thighs are no longer significantly cheaper than breasts here on the East Coast either. About even.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not a Children posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy. All the chicken at my grocery is like $3.50-6.50/lb, I used to be able to get everything below $2/lb. Pork is almost always cheaper now
yeah here in the Netherlands too. I always considered chicken as the cheap meat but pork is way, way cheaper now

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

whole chickens priced well in the hella expensive Bay Area and you can make stock with the carcass and any skin you don't want to eat.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Yeah whole chicken is the way to go, butch it up if you want the pieces

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

all that bird flu

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AxGrap posted:

Yeah whole chicken is the way to go, butch it up if you want the pieces

seasoned it with a bunch of flannel over the skin and i gave it an undercut. what now

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i made some lazy char siu for the first time, with delicious discount pork, and it was good :3:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
drat, looks sick

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

i made some lazy char siu for the first time, with delicious discount pork, and it was good :3:

i'm going to do a pork dish next time. thanks

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
just picked up some nice peaches at the farmers market, gonna do the new chef john recipe with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch

idk how to embed youtube I guess

edit: I did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4Jjn7OJsA

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lmao review on a chicken adobo recipe page

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My wife threw out a chicken carcass tonight bc "we have enough stock" (18 qts in the freezer atm) and she's right but I hate waste. When it's soup season she'll be singing a different tune!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lmao review on a chicken adobo recipe page

A minimal pantry is entry level cooking. I'm not being condescending, this is advice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I could see not having whole peppercorns but not the other two things.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm making a big pile of hash browns and some white gravy to dump over it. i need ozempic

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

when the party redraws the lines of suburbia there will be a bay tree on every block

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's just a crazy idiot, but it's gonna suck when the magical endless supply of cheap mexican produce dries up. i don't think i'd want to live in a world with expensive onions.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Tbf, I was only able to build up my pantry when I moved out of a 1 bedroom in Brooklyn. But like yeah if your cooking you need a pantry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a friend of mine is a cook in yenagoa, nigeria. figured y'all may enjoy this pic she posted

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i bought some buttermilk last week to make cornbread for my friends and I had about half left that was about to go bad so clearly I had to use it to make more cornbread, my hand was forced I had no choice.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

a friend of mine is a cook in yenagoa, nigeria. figured y'all may enjoy this pic she posted

I'd eat one type of sea bug, but probably not the other.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

i bought some buttermilk last week to make cornbread for my friends and I had about half left that was about to go bad so clearly I had to use it to make more cornbread, my hand was forced I had no choice.

been so long since I had cornbread. Just looking at that makes me nostalgic for it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

that's a good looking crumb. getting inspired to make some cornbread..

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I love eating strange things when I'm traveling, like jellyfish and scorpion and things, but I think grubs like that would be a bridge too far for me

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Aug 1, 2023

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Cooked 10 lbs of cabbage for the block party.

I've posted the recipe in here before but it's miso, wine, cabbage and onions basically

Before the braise

And after

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if one person ate that whole thing their farts would cause them to either explode or reach orbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is that a dare