Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
This not of course to say this will be any good. Star Wars: Destiny’s launch got fumbled badly and FFG have form for ditching games.

They’ve announced the game with powerful mid art, no details beyond “It’s coming out!” And zero gameplay details.

I presume they’ll do their big preview for Gencon.

But the CONCEPT of the CCG is still strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

HidaO-Win posted:

This not of course to say this will be any good. Star Wars: Destiny’s launch got fumbled badly and FFG have form for ditching games.

They’ve announced the game with powerful mid art, no details beyond “It’s coming out!” And zero gameplay details.

I presume they’ll do their big preview for Gencon.

But the CONCEPT of the CCG is still strong.

"Unlimited" is a we-ran-out-of-names name for a TCG. All the good names were already taken by failed two-player competitive Star Wars games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Flesh and Blood seems to do okay for itself.

I'm curious to see how Sorcery does. A Star Wars CCG will have enough fan support to keep it a float a while. It was interesting that the company basically acknowledged they hosed up every other game they had with terrible production and release schedules.

Polygon posted:

The most recent failure, however, was the mysterious technical mishap that derailed KeyForge, the popular procedurally-generated card game that launched in 2018. Early interest was high, but an unknown issue stopped production in its tracks.

The Mystery of "What Happens When You Fire the Digital Design Team".

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 10, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I dunno if I have the effort to do competitive card games again. It’s just been nice to chill with my friends and have fun while knocking a villain down.

I played Game of Thrones with my friend a lot and it got bad by the end. So many busted combos and we were just building decks with rear end in a top hat mechanics and we always got a bit salty at the end.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
The pandemic, the weird price surge in cards, the apps for Pokémon and magic, and also the kids who played the first waves now having kids of their own who want to play have been major drivers in the resurgence of card games. My kid likes Pokémon and I’ve found myself pulled back into that world with him.

and honestly it fuckin rocks. We need more licensed card games with lovely rules. It’s 1999 again. nu metal is back. Let’s fuckin go

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Angel/Archangel is next!

Very cool stuff. Double hero form fun, potential for voltron ally in Psylocke, the ability to play Hero action cards on the enemy turn with Warpath, a huge card draw for protection, and Warren himself looks like he just vomits damage and thwart.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 11, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, he looks really good and I’m glad they went back to the well with the multiple hero forms idea cause it’s a good one. I’m ultimately disappointed with Wasp but I think Angel looks great.

Good that they remembered they need more Aerial stuff as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Angel of Death is a crazy ability and will encourage cool deck building around big events. He will be able to pull off some huge turns when setup correctly.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

HidaO-Win posted:

Star Wars: Destiny’s launch got fumbled badly and FFG have form for ditching games.

My wife and I snagged a copy of Destiny awhile back for like 5 bucks, and had a good time with it, not realizing it was already a dead game.

Which didn't prevent the local game group from having it as a play and win at their Star Wars gaming event to sucker in someone else to watch eBay listings of booster boxes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

John Dyne posted:

My wife and I snagged a copy of Destiny awhile back for like 5 bucks, and had a good time with it, not realizing it was already a dead game.

Which didn't prevent the local game group from having it as a play and win at their Star Wars gaming event to sucker in someone else to watch eBay listings of booster boxes.

It's also very proxy-able since the cards all have their die faces right on them. Definitely a fun system but don't netdeck much as the game had some bonkers balance issues from the start.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bottom Liner posted:

It's also very proxy-able since the cards all have their die faces right on them. Definitely a fun system but don't netdeck much as the game had some bonkers balance issues from the start.

You know, this makes me realize how colossally stupid I am, since for some reason it never occurred to me to proxy the cards with normal rear end d6's.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Destiny’s Two Player Starter set was a surprise for the Star Wars Celebration so to keep it top secret, one guy designed it solo in the warehouse and sent it to print top secret so it just emerged fully formed shocking everyone. Of course because it was designed by one guy with no play testing a ton of cards were totally broken and had to get banned/errated but cool concept and a fun cheap starter set.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You would think with the name destiny, it would all go right

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How many infinite combos did the game end up having that completely broke the game? At least 3 right, with 2 in the first set?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

How many infinite combos did the game end up having that completely broke the game? At least 3 right, with 2 in the first set?

Yep, first 2 infinite combos were in the second set.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/1/galactic-law-section-2278a/
Infinite hyperspace jump with the Millennium Falcon, enhanced by the 2 (or 4) automatic damage from Planetary Uprising. Or infinite resources with Outer Rim Smuggler, errata'd on release :v:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/7/sleight-of-hand/
Second set also had Fast Hands/Poe/Maz that allowed them to throw out handfuls of Thermal Detonators very quickly with no chance for the other player to modify dice. Also had the Second Chance revive that could recur with Ammo Belt, reviving a character up to 4 times.

I've had a Destiny revival. My kids saw the old 2 player starter set on my shelf and asked about it, so we cracked it open and played it. They love it. We're now working through opening up 2 Awakenings boxes 2 packs at a time and I've got a nearly complete 2x set of Legacies coming in the mail ($100 from a dude on facebook). To an 8 year old and 10 year old Star Wars nut game lovers, it's their perfect game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

canyoneer posted:

I've had a Destiny revival. My kids saw the old 2 player starter set on my shelf and asked about it, so we cracked it open and played it. They love it. We're now working through opening up 2 Awakenings boxes 2 packs at a time and I've got a nearly complete 2x set of Legacies coming in the mail ($100 from a dude on facebook). To an 8 year old and 10 year old Star Wars nut game lovers, it's their perfect game.

Thanks for the run down. Is there a cube draft format or something you can do with a bunch of cards?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Destiny really was a cool concept completely marred by the one two punch of not having nearly enough supply to meet demand on top of amateurish design mistakes for specific cards and mechanics. Overall the fundamentals were great though, and what I would describe as very "modern" and well thought out structure. The RNG of your hand and dice rolls per round was mitigated by the alternating actions and what was essentially a requirement to telegraph intentions with one action before actually executing with a subsequent action in a following turn, allowing for very reactive choices. I have very little hope that the new TCG they're doing will have any substance to it but maybe there's someone left in the husk of FFG who genuinely understands what gave Destiny so much potential and they're able to draw heavily from its DNA.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks for the run down. Is there a cube draft format or something you can do with a bunch of cards?

I can't find the site that generated it, but here is a link to a 360 card Destiny cube using the first 3 sets and starter kits. I put a copy of it together a few years ago and found it's a fantastic format for the game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j6k7KirbC25tDIwjNNON1DW77RsejkwW9sWZ82Z7Z3k/edit?usp=sharing

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Destiny really was a cool concept completely marred by the one two punch of not having nearly enough supply to meet demand on top of amateurish design mistakes for specific cards and mechanics. Overall the fundamentals were great though, and what I would describe as very "modern" and well thought out structure. The RNG of your hand and dice rolls per round was mitigated by the alternating actions and what was essentially a requirement to telegraph intentions with one action before actually executing with a subsequent action in a following turn, allowing for very reactive choices. I have very little hope that the new TCG they're doing will have any substance to it but maybe there's someone left in the husk of FFG who genuinely understands what gave Destiny so much potential and they're able to draw heavily from its DNA.

One of the chief designers of SWU is Jeremy Zwirn, who was the lead developer of Destiny when it was shuttered.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Richard Garfield once said, I think, and I'm paraphrasing heavily, that one of the first things you have to do when designing a game is to consider whether or not you have counterspells. Those kinds of reactive cards make for heaps of interactivity, but also an absolute mess of timing rules. Because of everything you mentioned about how Destiny worked, it had the most interaction of any card game I've played without counterspells.

I wish supply and terrible playtesting didn't kill it. I ended up throwing so much of it out in a move because screw trying to store a tub of large plastic dice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Destiny pack forced distribution of rare/legendary in boosters also felt a little weird. With a few notable exceptions, the chase cards were all ones with a die, and that was the one you were looking for when you cracked a pack.
There's always the whole booster pack/gacha ups and downs. Big thrill to open a pack and find something good, not as fun to open duds. It somehow felt worse to open a Destiny pack and to get a die that was a dupe or just a crappy card.

Didn't help that the secondary market got off to such a rough start with the initial shortages

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, Destiny was a sweet game that I enjoyed despite its flaws, but FFG seemed to continually drop the ball with it between various balance issues, distribution issues and dearth of real competitive support.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
X-23 announced.

Looks good! The built in stand ability looks great and there will be tons of ways to make combos happen.

I’m glad they didn’t just do a slight variation on Wolverine.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This cycle feels the best so far in terms of everyone being strong and also well rounded.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
This is a long shot, but would anybody here be able to snag a copy of the Mutant Genesis promo pack and be able to send it to me? My FLGS basically gets screwed by the Canadian distributor, who constantly screws up but because they’re literally the only distributor the store can’t do anything about it.

I’ll be willing to pay for it, shipping, and even more on top for time and effort. I just would like those promos without spending EBay money but I feel like I’m screwed at this point. Thanks FFG, for your awesome distribution in Canada.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Crosspost because I forgot about this thread.

I picked up Marvel Champions to play solo and like it quite a bit. I got Captain America and Scarlet Witch as well. Any other packs I should get sooner rather than later? Probably one of the scenario packs? Any hero packs with really good cards for general deck-building?

Edit - looking back a couple pages it looks like recommendations are already out there!

Picked up Ironheart, Thor, Wolverine, and Mojo Mania. My FLGS was out of my sleeves so can't play yet.

Seems like Dr. Strange is relatively hard to get.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 20, 2023

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Kaddish posted:

Crosspost because I forgot about this thread.

I picked up Marvel Champions to play solo and like it quite a bit. I got Captain America and Scarlet Witch as well. Any other packs I should get sooner rather than later? Probably one of the scenario packs? Any hero packs with really good cards for general deck-building?

Edit - looking back a couple pages it looks like recommendations are already out there!

Picked up Ironheart, Thor, Wolverine, and Mojo Mania. My FLGS was out of my sleeves so can't play yet.

Seems like Dr. Strange is relatively hard to get.

I started asking for recommendations and then I just fell into buying it all. Beware of this game and it's addictive collection growing alure.

I love the game, but I really need to make an effort to actually play everything I bought.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CommaToes posted:

I started asking for recommendations and then I just fell into buying it all. Beware of this game and it's addictive collection growing alure.

I love the game, but I really need to make an effort to actually play everything I bought.

I knew what I was getting into after having dropped hundreds on the lotr lcg.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Expect expansion and Angel spoilers to get posted within the next couple of days because the set is already being sold in the EU. Apparently some stores in Finland already sold it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Captain America is quite the stud playing true solo. Wolverine is really good as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Captain America is quite the stud playing true solo. Wolverine is really good as well.

We had a new guy come to our group and I dusted off Cap and am now completing a playthrough of him in every aspect. I kept wanting to try and make bad heroes like Hulk/Groot/Rocket/Wasp good and realized that life is too short to keep bothering with them. I'm on Justice with him next and I'm probably going to proxy some of the new player side schemes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Whoah Whoah. All the others I agree, but Rocket isn’t bad. Rocket isn’t in the top tier, but he’s got some great combos.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

People made really fun custom versions of wasp and hulk. I don’t know is still floating around but her gimmick is switching between tiny and normal, with tiny wanting to play super cheap events, and normal wanting to attack and defend. You really feel like you’re flitting around and it’s distinct from Ant-man, because almost every card that changes your form readies you.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Whoah Whoah. All the others I agree, but Rocket isn’t bad. Rocket isn’t in the top tier, but he’s got some great combos.

He's not terrible I'll give you that. I was just tinkering around with Repurpose and him and trying to figure poo poo now between the now and the next release. Overall though, he's just not in my favored list of people to play. I'd say he's probably in the Vision tier for me, in that he's solid and is like 10% away from being great but they just didn't quite figure out the design completely.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Now you lost me because Vision I’d put in the high tier. His kit is insane. I stomp with a Vision/defence deck.

Rocket I think works best with Leadership. I throw in some welcome aboards and I can pay for high cost allies no problem especially when I have his dual resource cards. I threw the dog in there too (can’t remember the name) that you can pay from your discard so I can easily get a blocker if needed. Then I have a mini voltron with Yondu working.

I think it’d be interesting for me to do another ranking before next expansion. The X-men run went relatively okay, I think the biggest clunkers were colossus and Phoenix. They can be good, but it takes a lot of work to get them going. At least they aren’t downright terrible like Valkyrie or Hulk.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Now you lost me because Vision I’d put in the high tier. His kit is insane. I stomp with a Vision/defence deck.

Rocket I think works best with Leadership. I throw in some welcome aboards and I can pay for high cost allies no problem especially when I have his dual resource cards. I threw the dog in there too (can’t remember the name) that you can pay from your discard so I can easily get a blocker if needed. Then I have a mini voltron with Yondu working.

I think it’d be interesting for me to do another ranking before next expansion. The X-men run went relatively okay, I think the biggest clunkers were colossus and Phoenix. They can be good, but it takes a lot of work to get them going. At least they aren’t downright terrible like Valkyrie or Hulk.

I'm not saying they're bad(I was more referring to the deck I was trying to play with Rocket) so much as they're solid to good heroes with designs I don't enjoy. If you're going back actual rankings I'd probably put Vision in A or high B tier. He's not an S and like you said his kit is good, but the just general design for me is where he loses me. It's somehow both generic and fiddly. Shadowcat is fiddly as hell but she's also complex and rewarding and I don't feel like Vision is.

Agreed on Phoenix, I think they kind of thought that 3 thwart and 3 free resources was too good and then made every card afterward gimmick-y to compensate. Not bad by any means but I felt like they went a little too into the weeds with the design of her. Probably put her in the same tier as Vision since Psionic stuff is just bonkers and she has a similarly unique effect with the mind control.

Same with Colossus, spending tough status sounds like a great idea until you look at how hard it is to keep those around, then they hosed him with the rules change.

Ratings:

S Tier - Shadowcat, Storm
A Tier - Phoenix, Rogue
B Tier - Cyclops
C Tier - Gambit
D Tier - Colossus

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
To be fair you did literally say they were bad in the post people were quoting.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

To be fair you did literally say they were bad in the post people were quoting.

I was trying clear this up, I don't think Rocket is bad. He got grouped with the others because I was trying to make a bad deck using him work. I think he's high-mid, objectively. Subjectively, he's in high C tier based on how much I enjoy playing him.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

Same with Colossus, spending tough status sounds like a great idea until you look at how hard it is to keep those around, then they hosed him with the rules change.

Ratings:

S Tier - Shadowcat, Storm
A Tier - Phoenix, Rogue
B Tier - Cyclops
C Tier - Gambit
D Tier - Colossus

Interesting. My tier ranking would be more like this:

S: Storm, Wolverine
A: Shadowcat, Gambit
B: Rogue, Cyclops
C: Phoenix
D: Colossus

Shadowcat I like but her kit has some cards I think are kinda meh and don’t really do anything for me. Which brings her down a bit in my eyes. Gambit is amazing. I love him in Justice with the new cards because he can be super impactful thwarting even in alter ego, and his ability to toss cards is amazing. Went up against Sandman and being able to toss Rhino minion from the encounter and then thwart 3? (4 if you have the guild) Yes please. He’s so fun.

Cyclops is good, but kinda boring. Rogue I don’t like that much. Her kit is okay and her ability can cause some awesome combos. I’ve seen my friends pull off standing her back up because she’s now an android, or having her touch my Champion ally so she benefits from Go for Champions, but she’s kinda fiddly and takes a bit too long to get going. It’s work to setup the combos.

Phoenix is C tier for me because while she has some insanely powerful stuff, her drawbacks are just too much. She’s a glass cannon. Heaven help you if you get her Nemesis as well because you’ve turned on hard mode. I don’t hate her, but she squarely falls into the “why put in the effort to have fun with her, when I can pick so many other heroes and have fun instantly?

Colossus I agree. Solid D. Oh cool I got all this stuff that relies on tough? Oh, what’s that. An enemy has piercing, which tons of them do? Okay well I’m screwed, lol. I don’t think the scenario designer for Sabertooth and the person who made Colossus ever spoke to each other. “Hey, I made a hero all about tough” “Oh cool, the very first villain of this expansion can easily destroy it” “…”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Phoenix is really great in the X-Men campaign, turning minions like the eight health sentinels into the best allies in the game. It’s also fun to mind control people like Hydra Guards, which blanks their “draw an encounter card on defeat” ability.

In leadership, psychic kicker is a zero cost 3 thw or 3 damage. But she does have some clunkers, like her suit.
The thing about Phoenix is most games are about the timing where you switch from restrainted to unrestrained. Her team ups like soul sister and psychic rapport are also great, and with mutant education, you can cycle her really good defense card (block up to four, then block up to infinite damage).

Someone posted a big money Rogue leadership deck that was really interesting, relying on strength in numbers, Kailou, stinger, and cheap allies, while Rogue does the defending. She has a super expensive kit, but her sustain is big.

Got to try out Domino and Cable last night. We are going to run them through with Cable in justice, because he wants to defeat schemes himself. Domino wants to summon the posse so leadership makes a lot of sense. Between Pip and weapon X, she can summon any card she wants from the discard pile, so I feel like Outlaw is gonna get a lot of play.