Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is there a mod loader like there was TWW2?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2845454582

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Spent fifteen minutes trying to pick a faction to play after wrapping norsca and chaos. Hovered over rats and orcs, something new you know maybe I'll I AM PRINCE AND EMPEROR.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Trying high elves for the first time and noticed their weird bonuses for 100 control. Is it worth building control buildings everywhere or do they have some other mechanic that helps you reach 100 control?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
At level 16, Handmaidens get a skill that gives +1 factionwide to public order.

Not sure if the Emollient trait for nobles still exists, but that gives you +1 factionwide.

You can get +2 from research, just need the level 3 wine building.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i don't care what the game says, there was NOTHING pyrrhic about this

get hosed rat losers

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
A couple of the big Warhammer youtubers are putting up videos about the new DLC, they seem incredibly confident and the images they have look like official art so I assume it's like, official materials they've gotten hold of from CA but quite a weird way to allow the info to come out if so. Maybe it's from promo stuff for that tournament where it's going to be playable for the first time or something. Apparently there is also some short story written by one of the Black Library writers that ties in with it in some way or at least has the characters in the DLC in the story.

Looks like the Cathay lord is another dragon sibling, with wind magic and the Tzeentch one is the Changeling. Unless they're truly spectacular they'll probably be the first DLC I skip entirely or wait for a deep discount on cause I don't think you could pick two factions I could be less interested in.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1685213616771911680?s=20

Weirdly quiet way to announce the DLC, especially as there's been some clamour to expand out Cathay.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Everybody is suspicious of Zhao Ming, whose long experiments with warp stone may have clouded his mind."

"Anyway, here's this guy made of warp stone gas in the joint Tzeentch DLC."

looks cool though but lol at a bit of possibly unintended coloring theming

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Doomykins posted:

"Everybody is suspicious of Zhao Ming, whose long experiments with warp stone may have clouded his mind."

"Anyway, here's this guy made of warp stone gas in the joint Tzeentch DLC."

looks cool though but lol at a bit of possibly unintended coloring theming

Yuan Bo is the Jade Dragon, unless jade is what the Cathayans call warpstone, yes-yes. :tinfoil:

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 29, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yuan Bo is the Jade Dragon, unless jade is what the Cathayans call warpstone, yes-yes. :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure it is heavily implied or stated outright that Jade in Cathay is warpstone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

more tzeentch and more cathay is a-ok in my books

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

thebardyspoon posted:

A couple of the big Warhammer youtubers are putting up videos about the new DLC, they seem incredibly confident and the images they have look like official art so I assume it's like, official materials they've gotten hold of from CA but quite a weird way to allow the info to come out if so. Maybe it's from promo stuff for that tournament where it's going to be playable for the first time or something. Apparently there is also some short story written by one of the Black Library writers that ties in with it in some way or at least has the characters in the DLC in the story.

Looks like the Cathay lord is another dragon sibling, with wind magic and the Tzeentch one is the Changeling. Unless they're truly spectacular they'll probably be the first DLC I skip entirely or wait for a deep discount on cause I don't think you could pick two factions I could be less interested in.

There's Kislev too, if I remember from the roadmap they released.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Panderfringe posted:

Yeah I just looked at the image and you're right. They're cool, still though usually with the other DLC the bit I'm less interested in I am still slightly interested in playing, like the Lizardmen I'm usually pretty meh on but I'll still play them and the new units are fun additions, Cathay and Tzeentch are just the two factions near the bottom of my personal list and it'll be coming out in the middle of a jam packed season for gaming. It's too early to rightly say of course cause they could absolutely sell me with some cool mechanics, units and a sick trailer but I think I'll be fine waiting too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

Yes, it's supposed to be one LL each from Tzeentch, kislev, and Cathay, plus iirc one LH, and...maybe 1 FLC LH or LL coming at the same time? I can't be sure on that last one. So, if that's right, Changeling, presumably Ostankya, Jade Dragon, and two LHs. Maybe one is the Monkey King for all Cathay as the FLC and the other is Aekold for Tzeentch?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Aekold is pretty much confirmed from the tease they did for it a bit ago, yeah. A frontliner champion of Tzeentch? That's pretty much Aekold and no one else.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm both surprised and not surprised by the Jade Dragon add - like yeah the factions whose marquee feature is leaders who are shapeshifting dragons gets another shapeshifting dragon. On the other hand some of the early speculation of this DLC leaning in on Kislev and Cathay's more fantastical elements was pretty appealing. Not that any of that is ruled out but Monkey King would have been a nice contrast to another spoiled dragon kiddo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yuan-Bo seems like he could be interesting, since based on his lore he's:
- Based in the Central Provinces
- The big Cathay Magic Guy, compared to Miao's ranged unit emphasis and Zhao's melee unit emphasis
- Loves astromancers, hates alchemists
- Canonically dies to a Bret lord on a grail quest (which could be an opportunity for them to inject a Bret minor into the region as his starting enemy and break up the monotony of rat/rat/vamp/vamp/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/lizard/druchii)

So that's exciting. On my wish list for the DLC/Cathay rebalance/rework when the DLC comes out:
- Do something about the Bastions/invasion mechanic in IE, it makes 0 sense for anyone but Miao to deal with it and if you want to model "there's chaos at the door constantly!" congrats you already have Vilitch, a vassal Norscan, and chorfs visible on screen up there and Kholek just off-screen ready to be a poo poo
- Severely limit the scope of the yin/yang balance mechanic, right now it dictates your buildings and your technology and your recruiting on the tac map and in combat basically means "your units stay in formation or they're just shittier now" which for cav and fliers means you either get weaker doing your job, babysit units that don't help it (which you gotta recruit somewhere too, good luck finding the space), or ignore it, which is always a mark of a GREAT mechanic
- Give the Cathay LLs quest battles for items. Literally even one per LL would make them feel more complete than the current state, which is, they've got a ton of mechanics hiding that they weren't ready for IE

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So do all these Cathay characters have any pre-existing lore, or is this just GW and CA making this up as they go along?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yuan-Bo seems like he could be interesting, since based on his lore he's:
- Based in the Central Provinces
- The big Cathay Magic Guy, compared to Miao's ranged unit emphasis and Zhao's melee unit emphasis
- Loves astromancers, hates alchemists
- Canonically dies to a Bret lord on a grail quest (which could be an opportunity for them to inject a Bret minor into the region as his starting enemy and break up the monotony of rat/rat/vamp/vamp/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/cath/lizard/druchii)

So that's exciting. On my wish list for the DLC/Cathay rebalance/rework when the DLC comes out:
- Do something about the Bastions/invasion mechanic in IE, it makes 0 sense for anyone but Miao to deal with it and if you want to model "there's chaos at the door constantly!" congrats you already have Vilitch, a vassal Norscan, and chorfs visible on screen up there and Kholek just off-screen ready to be a poo poo
- Severely limit the scope of the yin/yang balance mechanic, right now it dictates your buildings and your technology and your recruiting on the tac map and in combat basically means "your units stay in formation or they're just shittier now" which for cav and fliers means you either get weaker doing your job, babysit units that don't help it (which you gotta recruit somewhere too, good luck finding the space), or ignore it, which is always a mark of a GREAT mechanic
- Give the Cathay LLs quest battles for items. Literally even one per LL would make them feel more complete than the current state, which is, they've got a ton of mechanics hiding that they weren't ready for IE

Wait he dies? Where is that from?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yuan Bo does seem like a good pick to expand on Cathay’s core faction identity rather than trying to bolt a Monkey Warrior subfaction to it right at the get-go

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

orangelex44 posted:

Wait he dies? Where is that from?

According to his wiki page, a novel from 2005 I guess? https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Yuan_Bo

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Chemtrailologist posted:

So do all these Cathay characters have any pre-existing lore, or is this just GW and CA making this up as they go along?

lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tzeentch is fun as hell and cathay... Well I like their spell mastery access and the way their troops look in formation

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
So that is definitely some out of date lore, since they revised Cathy and basically discarded 90% of what came before. Still like you said, it would be a nice nod and excuse to have a minor questing bret faction in the region.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
put him in Brettonia, right next to the Red Duke.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

More weird dragon morons is good imo, especially if they look like Ma Chao in dynasty warriors

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah assume any pre-WH3 Cathay lore doesn't exist lol even the great maw event plays a bit different given the dragon emperor back then was just A Dude

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
having him die to some random French idiot makes his self important attitude very funny so that should remain canon

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

JBP posted:

Spent fifteen minutes trying to pick a faction to play after wrapping norsca and chaos. Hovered over rats and orcs, something new you know maybe I'll I AM PRINCE AND EMPEROR.

*Nods approvingly*

Also I'll buy the new DLC anyway but I wish it was the monkey king :(

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Tiler Kiwi posted:

having him die to some random French idiot makes his self important attitude very funny so that should remain canon

Colisse! Tabarnak!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

SteelMentor posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1685213616771911680?s=20

Weirdly quiet way to announce the DLC, especially as there's been some clamour to expand out Cathay.

Has the most detailed look yet at Onyx Crowmen.

They’re constructs made directly from the winds of magic by the Moon Empress. I think they were described in the Tamurkhan book as statues, but here they’re hosed up little guys who have a magical aura that makes people ignore them. There’s even an illustration of one. Fun!

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
So for potential new units for Cathay we have from the ebook:

Wu-xing Monks
Crowmen things
Gate Master Lord/Hero
Wardrum of Shang-wu
Jade Warriors with Spears

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Crow guys sound cool

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Onyx crowmen as a low model count, flying unit with stalk and maybe armor piercing and magical attacks?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I can never log in to the CA account at that link, just constantly authorising... not a great loss I'm sure!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i differ from that above poster cuz i think ying yang is good but they really should have provided both yin and yang for every unit type. no horse archers means cathay land cav is just bad forex

prolly will get a fix this dlc

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i differ from that above poster cuz i think ying yang is good but they really should have provided both yin and yang for every unit type. no horse archers means cathay land cav is just bad forex

prolly will get a fix this dlc
Yeah that would go a long way towards making it better, if the deal is "these units act in harmony with one another" then if the way one unit type plays means it's not near anything else, that is not great! Unless they intend you to have your sky junks hover over your cav moving at roughly 2mph. Towards the artillery and ranged troops that your cav was supposed to flank.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I’m much more interested in what they do to the campaign mechanics for tzeetch, Cathay, and kislev than the lords. They all deserve some serious tweaks and added depth. They likely won’t come back around on those 3 after this for a long time, if ever (before the end of active development).

I probably will skip this dlc too. I’ll take the free 4.0 changes and wait for winter sale, where I will likely pay full price for the 5.0 dlc bc empire and dwarfs cmon. Also would be nice to see nurgle get some fun new units and a serious upgrade for their campaign mechanics.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmm, definitely sounds like this DLC isn't gonna be the "outlaw" subfactions like everyone assumed, so maybe no Baba Yaga after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

We only know like 5% of what the dlc includes and I've already decided I'm going to buy this as soon as the preorder goes up