Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

all american passenger vehicles are fat and huge now like the fat ferrari

http://images.buyyourcar.co.uk/photos/caaa3b15-7c60-4997-8baf-2c1b5935b1a0/2546/2546_1_m.jpg

and they're all in an arms race to be as huge as possible, thus negating the safety advantage of being huge in a collision and making them all into pedestrian terminators

I've got some bad news, it's not limited to american cars...the fat ferrari exists and looks like an angry shoe

all cars are poo poo now and precision engineered to make life worse for people outside of them, and more expensive for those in them

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Let’s all take a minute to appreciate how things are now, because after the next election it’s all gonna suck for years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

Let’s all take a minute to appreciate how things are now, because after the next election it’s all gonna suck for years.

Mate, the LDP winning another consecutive election is not gonna change a goddamn thing for me.

naem
May 29, 2011

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Starting to sound like the climate change thread in here.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

http://images.buyyourcar.co.uk/photos/caaa3b15-7c60-4997-8baf-2c1b5935b1a0/2546/2546_1_m.jpg

and they're all in an arms race to be as huge as possible, thus negating the safety advantage of being huge in a collision and making them all into pedestrian terminators

IIRC big car collision safety is a lie, since small cars are much less likely to be in a collision in the first place (as they are much more maneuverable, have shorter stopping distances, etc)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

And negating a sizable percentage of the real fuel economy gains we've realized in the process. It's not enough that they're huge, lumbering, ugly, and dangerous - they're more expensive to run than a smaller car would be.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

IIRC big car collision safety is a lie, since small cars are much less likely to be in a collision in the first place (as they are much more maneuverable, have shorter stopping distances, etc)

Those benefits of small cars are negated by the fact that driver training and licensing is considered a cost center for the state. Let's just let people drive without knowing what the hell they're doing and up-armor the cars to compensate.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So there's a whole bunch of horses out of work since we start employing them to be ridden everywhere right?

Couldn't we just train them to drive everyone about? Don't see them running into each other all the time, so they should be perfect drivers.

Problem solved. :colbert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

naem posted:

years ago at my first type-numbers-into-a-spreadsheet job, we used a piece of software that takes numbers and turns them into useful things like making payments etc.

most similar software subscriptions focus on the people that use them (the people entering the beans) and have a simple user portal that is somewhat automated, including this one

they changed, and decided to focus on the backend (the people counting the beans afterward).

it went from what looked like an excel spreadsheet that populated with data and you selected one or two things and were done, to, a nightmare of brightly colored squares and rectangles that would change size and float around when you mouse past them:

for reference, only much worse looking. Each little box would have buttons you could press, and also words might or might not be links when you clicked. It looked like a bad html website.

ALSO there was the word “edit” where you could customize each box, and sometimes clicking “edit” did something, sometimes not. Sometimes “edit” became a pencil you clicked on when you hover over it, and sometimes you hover over the pencil and the word “edit” would pop into existence in another corner of the box only to vanish when you move your cursor off the pencil. So you had to remember to go click the invisible “edit” pencil.

It was a master class in bad user interface design. And it wasn’t consistent, it would change regularly so don’t bother remembering what worked last time. As a failed artist and over educated graphic design major it particularly bothered me.

they also DELIBERATELY made it really easy to make a particular mistake, and charged money for an online class to figure out how to fix it, and the class was a 5 minute video where the voice guy couldn’t help but laugh as he described “select this hidden button over here you could never find without paying for this video”

that company then started offering a paid service to replace in house Bean Enter-ers, knowing that a lot of their users had made mistakes with the changes they made.

we started getting a lot of ads like “Hey bean counters! Are you noticing that your bean enter-ers are messing up a lot? Look at our automated service that blah blah money something.”

They even sent some sales people to stop by unprompted at the tiny nonprofit to offer to replace what would have been several people including my then boss (who’d hired me to be the fall guy in their place if needed) and gave the sales pitch TO the person they’d be replacing

:capitalism:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Those dumb fuckin Dyson combo faucet/dryer thingys that airports are putting in their restrooms. They don't loving work right and when you combine it with the stupid soap dispenser you have to wave your hand under I just walk right out and use hand sanitizer. WTF faucets and soap pumps and normal rear end paper towel dispensers are a solved problem idk why we need electricity and sensors and "engineering" just so I can wash my loving hands.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Those hand dryers also sound like a loving jet engine and freak out my kid to the point where it's hard to find a public toilet he'll use. And they don't even work as well as the actual warm slow ones did for decades before all being replaced. I don't need a fuckin ram air turbine to dry my hands by spraying all the water off them onto my shoes and the floor with 8000 pounds of thrust. I can shake it onto the floor myself if that's what we're supposed to do now

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Arson Daily posted:

Those dumb fuckin Dyson combo faucet/dryer thingys that airports are putting in their restrooms. They don't loving work right and when you combine it with the stupid soap dispenser you have to wave your hand under I just walk right out and use hand sanitizer. WTF faucets and soap pumps and normal rear end paper towel dispensers are a solved problem idk why we need electricity and sensors and "engineering" just so I can wash my loving hands.

I suspect that trying to integrate all of that into the sink is an attempt to limit/reallocate cleaning costs - no puddles of soap to wipe up, no paper towels littered everywhere.

If people didn’t become feral animals whenever they traveled (speaking of things that seem to have got shittier for no good reason), airports probably wouldn’t pursue it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

And yet most bathrooms I walk in to are still just as gross as they've ever been. You're not going to engineer your way out of that problem, it'll still just be a person with a rag, a mop, and a spray bottle

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Arson Daily posted:

And yet most bathrooms I walk in to are still just as gross as they've ever been. You're not going to engineer your way out of that problem, it'll still just be a person with a rag, a mop, and a spray bottle

And they are paid per floor as a contractor. Enjoy your water fountain.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Those hand dryers also sound like a loving jet engine and freak out my kid to the point where it's hard to find a public toilet he'll use. And they don't even work as well as the actual warm slow ones did for decades before all being replaced. I don't need a fuckin ram air turbine to dry my hands by spraying all the water off them onto my shoes and the floor with 8000 pounds of thrust. I can shake it onto the floor myself if that's what we're supposed to do now

Can't seem to pull it up now, but I once read a CDC report which outlined the way that the high pressure dryers perfectly aerosolize and spread any remaining debris through the room. Eugh.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah they shut all those airdryers down during lockdown here, one of the few good moves. Of course they immediately opened them up and doubled down on them once we beat covid permanently in 2022. I swear there are more of those loving dryers than actual toilets at the mall here.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Im gonna grab the low hanging fruit.

Movies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Im gonna grab the low hanging fruit.

Movies.

Eh movies always go in ebbs and flows of better and worse. Looks like finally comic book movies are dying off a bit, so possibly getting better soon.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
No!

Its all terrible forever!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Still waiting for Harry Potter... In spaaaaace.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

dr_rat posted:

Eh movies always go in ebbs and flows of better and worse. Looks like finally comic book movies are dying off a bit, so possibly getting better soon.

The next wave is already upon us. Toy/product movies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Good, maybe we'll get a proper Garbage pail kids movie this time. :colbert:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
" Can't take screenshot because of security policy."

gently caress you.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Waiting on a dark fantasy Guillermo del Toro reboot of The Smurfs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
grocery store in my town has these fancy new automatic sink faucets and they're kinda good. you can do the whole process without touching anything. also the hand dryer projects a little DRY text onto your hand for aiming which I find hilarious for some reason.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My local independent supermarket got four of those self service lanes recently.

They are slow
Don't work on some barcodes
There's always a free human service lane because they are just not that busy.

Business!

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

My local independent supermarket got four of those self service lanes recently.

They are slow
Don't work on some barcodes
There's always a free human service lane because they are just not that busy.

Business!

Here's my "old man yells at clouds" moment. Now that I have a family of 4, I generally have enough groceries to warrant the lanes with actual checkers. But the last few months, the people working the checkout can't even muster a single word while I'm in their line. No "hello," "did you find everything okay?" etc. etc. Just nothing. I mean I get it. You work for Kroger and they're rear end, but I try to sort my poo poo out a logical way for bagging and will do my own bagging if enough baggers aren't available.

So I just said "gently caress it. I'll just do the self check out." Except it is such a pain in the rear end. Every 10 or so items it magically decides I didn't bag something that I just bagged. Or just says that I need assistance for no discernible reason whatsoever. Like, the only winning move is not to play.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Out of all the stores I shop at with self-checkout lanes, Fry’s (Kroger in AZ) has the assholiest and most frustrating checkout lanes imaginable. This is the only store out of all of them that seems to have a weight detector in the bagging area, so if the thing you just scanned isn’t put in the bag in 1/1,000,000,000th of a second, it actually yells at you condescendingly, “PLEASE PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!!!!

Like holy loving poo poo, I just scanned this thing and couldn’t have been quicker to toss it in the bag, and the machine still yells at me with an uncalled for smugness. And you can’t do a loving thing until it detects the item is in the bagging area, which is almost never and an associate has to come over and get involved and UGH.

I’m told most, if not all stores have the weight detector in the bagging area of self-checkout lanes for anti-theft purposes, but most stores decide to disable it because if you already scanned the item, you’re obviously gonna pay for it so where’s the theft? Fry’s is the only store that has it enabled and it sucks poo poo.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

You Are A Elf posted:

Out of all the stores I shop at with self-checkout lanes, Fry’s (Kroger in AZ) has the assholiest and most frustrating checkout lanes imaginable. This is the only store out of all of them that seems to have a weight detector in the bagging area, so if the thing you just scanned isn’t put in the bag in 1/1,000,000,000th of a second, it actually yells at you condescendingly, “PLEASE PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!!!!

Like holy loving poo poo, I just scanned this thing and couldn’t have been quicker to toss it in the bag, and the machine still yells at me with an uncalled for smugness. And you can’t do a loving thing until it detects the item is in the bagging area, which is almost never and an associate has to come over and get involved and UGH.

I’m told most, if not all stores have the weight detector in the bagging area of self-checkout lanes for anti-theft purposes, but most stores decide to disable it because if you already scanned the item, you’re obviously gonna pay for it so where’s the theft? Fry’s is the only store that has it enabled and it sucks poo poo.

I think the point is more to detect if extra stuff is bagged without being scanned which it can’t do unless you actually bag everything you scan, but yes it’s all dumb as hell.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Most self checkouts used to have an option to tare the weight of your reusable shopping bags so that you can bag your stuff as you scan it, but I've noticed lately they've either removed the option or you need to wait for an employee to come authorize it.

Love having to scan everything and jenga-pile it onto the bagging area, pay, and then struggle to bag everything properly on the floor while the checkout nags me to take my items every two seconds.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Got no idea where else to post.

Tried reporting animated/drawn CSAM both locally and federally on at least six occasions to the FBI. I talk like a hick; I say "poo poo" and "gently caress" for emphasis when riled up. They hang up on me because :decorum:

I tried to report the issue, but me not supplying my name despite the operator refusing to give his was grounds for termination.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I don’t bother with self check out unless it’s like 2 items

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I've never used a self check out without stealing something and if a cop is reading this they can straight gently caress off. They're a cost saving measure, but who said it should only apply to the store?!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Fruity Pebbles are still the artificially flavored sugar bullshit I loved as a kid but now an inexcusable number of the pebbles are stale, dense, inedible bits that ruin every bite. The QC on these are negligent

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Yay, self checkout chat! I use them for 10 items or less. When I have a full cart, it goes to the professional.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It's me.

I was the one who was really mad when Albertsons got rid of the self checkout

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Self checkout: sixteen available spots, all taken, but line moves fast.

Regular checkout: sixteen empty checkout lanes, one checkout person, it will take an hour to purchase groceries.

I know this is kind of well tread material by now, but why have so many checkout lanes? Is it for the one day a year they have a Big Sale? I've never seen more than two used at a time*, and that's only in absolute emergencies.

*since the advent of the self-checkout, I guess is what I mean. I was born in the 80s, I remember How Things Usta Be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There's a special place in hell for people who take a cart full of groceries thru the self checkout.