Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ahh. Rent is another one, I know at least one person who still pays rent in cash.

I paid rent in cash for a few years in New York. Left $3k in an envelope in the kitchen and the landlord would drop by and pick it up. I think he just let himself in and grabbed it? That seems crazy now but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

smackfu posted:

Curios how much cash do people have on hand. What do you need actual cash (beyond the ATM limit) for in TYOOL 2023?

Here’s my list:
* bail bonds

Telling the internet you have cash in your house and how much is always a winning strategy.

I keep some just in the event of like... I don't know, a big power outage or something from a storm. Mostly I wind up grabbing it bit by bit to like... tip the lady who watches our cat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Telling the internet you have cash in your house and how much is always a winning strategy.

I kinda figured the answer was somewhere between “I don’t think about it” and $1000 so not really grand larceny territory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking the first post was talking about paper money, dolla dolla bills y'all :homebrew:

yeah that's how I interpreted it but I sure hope the people replying "housing downpayment" aren't parking a few bands in their sock drawer for this purpose

Anyway to answer the original question I try to always keep some physical cash on hand but never more than like 2-300 bucks between money in a drawer, money in my wallet, and money in my wife's wallet. The exception was after we got married and people gave cash at our wedding, we were drawing that down for like a year. It was probably $4K or something.

Only other reason I would have a lot of cash is if I were buying or selling something like a car at the low end of the used market, but that's predictable and so you just take out cash as needed.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Learning a lot of people don't play poker.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I was any good at poker I wouldn’t be posting in the long term investment thread.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Uh, bass lessons, garage sales, and occasionally I buy stuff in cash from the grocery store just because. People still tip in cash in restaurants too.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

MrLogan posted:

Learning a lot of people don't play poker.
This isn't the BWM thread :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think a lot of the weirdness goes away when you replace "they made a movie about X" with "someone was willing to pay to produce a movie about X". If it's some finance bullshit then of course there are people willing to pay for that.
This is true, but I would not have expected that someone to have deep enough pockets that I'd see a trailer for it before Barbie. Like, direct to internet streaming, sure. But what.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
So is there a compelling reason to go with a 5.25% CD over just leaving cash in VMFXX? The CD is FDIC insured and VMFXX is not, and VMFXX return can fluctuate is the best I can tell right now. I'm looking at a 4 month CD since I'm looking to potentially buy a house at the beginning of next year.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

GordonComstock posted:

So is there a compelling reason to go with a 5.25% CD over just leaving cash in VMFXX? The CD is FDIC insured and VMFXX is not, and VMFXX return can fluctuate is the best I can tell right now. I'm looking at a 4 month CD since I'm looking to potentially buy a house at the beginning of next year.

Basically to lock in the rate if you think it might fall.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Also worth noting that a lot of the time for close-to and in-retirement funds, the distribution of stocks is more heavily weighted with dividend/value stocks for obvious reasons which aren't really "stocks" stocks to the average internet person who thinks stocks are BBBY and TSLA only.

Stonks!

Fun fact, my wife worked for BBBY at their corporate office. She started her job hunt a few months before bankruptcy was announced. She gave her notice, did her two weeks, said her very tearful farewells. Her first day at her new job was literally the day after BBBY announced their bankruptcy.

Apparently one of the stonks folks was not 100% there - some form of schizophrenia or other personality disorder. This guy would hang around the entrance to the offices, walk on the walking paths they had between the buildings, try to get "the real info" and in a way that was way, way uncomfortable for the people he interacted with. Security was very much beefed up from the stonks craze to the very end.

Anyway, they're liquidating their poo poo, if anyone wants a monitor, desktop, Surface Pro 5, desks, chairs, or other stuff, ping me and I can head over and take photos. They'll probably be liquidating until September. Or you could take a field trip to lovely Union, NJ.

Anyway, I wasn't really trying to be all "social security will be dead how will I retire" or otherwise, I'm just looking for a bit more detail. The 30x expenses figure is a pretty good one, I can work with that. I'm not entirely FIRE but I like the idea of either barista FIRE so I have something to keep me occupied, but my wife would likely be working for a few more years if I retire at 55 and I can always leech off her health insurance and spend my time volunteering. We'd likely be able to live off of her income - by the time I hit 55, the mortgage will be paid off.

Tangentially related - when does the feeling of guilt about even thinking about this scenario go away? I think we're probably the most successful and well-off of our friends and peer group, or at least I hope we're not. We made our choices and are happy with them but goddamn do I feel like some privileged jerk who is kept in check by paranoia and rigid fiscal self-discipline.

smackfu posted:

Curios how much cash do people have on hand. What do you need actual cash (beyond the ATM limit) for in TYOOL 2023?

Here’s my list:
* bail bonds

Tree fell through roof. Homeowner's insurance will cover it but the roofers don't take credit cards. I pay them out of the checking account we have on hand assuming there's enough, or make an agreement to pay X upfront, Y in 4 days once it transfers in from online savings account.

(Yeah, this is bougie as hell, but still) Landscapers charge $1700/year for leaves and lawnmowing/fertilizing. If I put it on my card they have to charge tax and add on the fee (yeah, the card issuers don't allow that, but they do it). If I give them cash, that's $182 I save.

I love this one tile for the bathroom. The local distributor also does the same thing as the landscaper with cash vs. cards.

Sometimes you need to be able to access cash on a few days' notice and don't want to sell stocks to cover it. Cash emergency fund in an HYSA for 4-6 months existence on $0 salary, replenish over time if drawn from. I-series bonds if you have extra and want to just let it sit until they lower the interest rate in a few years.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 31, 2023

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have not used this tool, but Rob Bergher mentioned it as something he's currently reviewing on his show might be worth a look
Rob Berger is by far the best financial education guy out there. I cannot recommend his podcast (and now Youtube channel) highly enough.

smackfu posted:

Here’s my list:
* bail bonds
I keep an emergency $20 in my wallet and care. About $200 cash, in various denominations of bills, in my safe at home. I keep ~2 months worth of expenses (rent, car, and credit card) in HYSAs at Ally. My emergency fund is also in HYSAs. I keep a baseline of $1000 in each of my checking accounts as well. Normally, everything beyond that goes straight into an index fund. For now I'm saving up cash to pay off my car loan, so I've been building that up in VMFXX. I like the feeling of building up a larger-and-larger cash reserve until I can pay the car off completely, it helps me sleep a little easier at night.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

literally this big posted:

Rob Berger is by far the best financial education guy out there. I cannot recommend his podcast (and now Youtube channel) highly enough.
He's very nice in person, too!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

MJP posted:

If I put it on my card they have to charge tax and add on the fee (yeah, the card issuers don't allow that, but they do it)

Through a combination of lawsuit settlements and state laws, adding on credit card fees is allowed in (almost) every state.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Always wondered how those companies keep their books when they just don’t pay sales tax on the cash transactions.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

Always wondered how those companies keep their books when they just don’t pay sales tax on the cash transactions.

The lawn/fertilizer guy we used this year had an old notebook that I'm sure would make a great exhibit #1 in any trial.

:v:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 31, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

smackfu posted:

Here’s my list:
* bail bonds

I'm transitioning my 6 months of emergency expenses into I-bonds so they'll better keep track with inflation over time, and I'm keeping that money in an AMEX HYSA while that's in process. After that's done I play to keep a few thousand on hand in the HYSA for immediate emergencies but everything else will be invested.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

smackfu posted:

They just don’t report them. They commit a lot of fraud.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pollyanna posted:

If I was any good at poker I wouldn’t be posting in the long term investment thread.

you don't have to be good at poker. just have to be better than the people you're playing against.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

smackfu posted:

There are only 4 states that have sales tax on services. Most likely the taxes they are referring to are income/payroll taxes that they are not paying on work they do for cash.

Not paying state sales tax is a bad idea, but not paying the IRS is a very bad idea.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

How hard is it to set up a SEP IRA? My accountant told me he can set me up with a financial planner to do it, but if it’s just a couple forms then I might as well do it myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drk posted:

There are only 4 states that have sales tax on services. Most likely the taxes they are referring to are income/payroll taxes that they are not paying on work they do for cash.

Not paying state sales tax is a bad idea, but not paying the IRS is a very bad idea.

As you said, small businesses have owners or sole proprietors that are paying themselves income from the businesses' revenue. A small business/sole proprietor can put cash in their pocket, underreport their personal income, and offset their official on paper income with their expenses. This also affects self-employment tax (FICA - medicare and social security). If they never deposit the cash, there's no paper trail to be audited. However, as you said it's a very bad idea for a few reasons. There's the fraud part, of course. But also your retirement income from SS is based on your earnings and how much you paid into the system so if you habitually underpay into SS you are also going to have lower SS payout in retirement.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Leperflesh posted:

As you said, small businesses have owners or sole proprietors that are paying themselves income from the businesses' revenue. A small business/sole proprietor can put cash in their pocket, underreport their personal income, and offset their official on paper income with their expenses. This also affects self-employment tax (FICA - medicare and social security). If they never deposit the cash, there's no paper trail to be audited. However, as you said it's a very bad idea for a few reasons. There's the fraud part, of course. But also your retirement income from SS is based on your earnings and how much you paid into the system so if you habitually underpay into SS you are also going to have lower SS payout in retirement.

SS has a couple "bend points" beyond which marginal contributions don't increase your collection very much. It's an interesting exercise to go through and check what expected payouts might look like given a few different working scenarios, even at a younger age.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

True, but also if you're decades from retirement, you should assume some of those payout calculations could and likely will change in the future... while the general principle of "pay in more, get more out" probably will still hold.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm transitioning my 6 months of emergency expenses into I-bonds so they'll better keep track with inflation over time, and I'm keeping that money in an AMEX HYSA while that's in process. After that's done I play to keep a few thousand on hand in the HYSA for immediate emergencies but everything else will be invested.

Are you laddering them?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Awkward Davies posted:

Are you laddering them?
Sort of I think? You can only buy $10K of I-bonds a year, so it will take 3 years to get my emergency funds completely into I-bonds. Once they're there though I will probably just let them sit for the full 30 years, unless I need them before then. At the 30 year mark I will be retired hopefully so I can just take the money out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’m not sure I understand what the point of laddering I-bonds would be

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m not sure I understand what the point of laddering I-bonds would be

If you’re using them as an emergency fund you might want one periods worth of expenses to mature each period.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

If you’re using them as an emergency fund you might want one periods worth of expenses to mature each period.

Are we talking about the same product? I-Bonds are 30 year variable+fixed interest rate bonds that earn interest every month. The variable rate resets every six months to track inflation. If you sell the bond within five years you forfeit the last three months interest.

What about this structure lends itself to laddering, other than the fact you can only buy in annual tranches of $10k?*

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are we talking about the same product? I-Bonds are 30 year variable+fixed interest rate bonds that earn interest every month. The variable rate resets every six months to track inflation. If you sell the bond within five years you forfeit the last three months interest.

What about this structure lends itself to laddering, other than the fact you can only buy in annual tranches of $10k?*
It's also worth pointing out for anyone unaware that you have to wait 12 months before cashing them in as well. So my 3 year plan to move my emergency fund over has to account for not being able to access the last years bonds for a full year after I buy them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I Bonds are nice as an extra emergency fund, I have a bit myself, but I def view it as a “in case of emergency break glass” type emergency funds.

I think they’re good for diversifying and a bit of peace of mind, but I would not bank on them for the majority of emergency funds to say the least.

I Bonds are about 30-40% of my current emergency funds, but i A. Am budgeting a higher emergency fund ever since covid and B. Had to dip into my general emergency fund a few months ago, so it will hopefully go back to about 25% of my emergency fund.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
New York's 529 setup has changed. I used to have an "age aggressive" portfolio for my child, but they replaced that with target date portfolios that are tweaked for the year of expected college enrollment. The NY site says you can go for a later target date if you want to get more aggressive or an earlier target date if you want to be more conservative.

All the funds shift from 95% stocks to more "short term reserves" and bonds with a 11-12% allocated stocks once the kid hits school age.

I really wanted this to be a "set it and forget it" type of option with lessening volatility the closer my kid gets to college enrollment age so we know the money is there. Is it bad to just set the target to my child's real age? Am I overthinking this?

https://www.nysaves.org/home/which-investments/target-enrollment-portfolios.html

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 1, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nothing. I’m just explaining what I assume is the reasoning of the poster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Nothing. I’m just explaining what I assume is the reasoning of the poster.

I bonds mature in 30 years. I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Duckman2008 posted:

I Bonds are nice as an extra emergency fund, I have a bit myself, but I def view it as a “in case of emergency break glass” type emergency funds.

I think they’re good for diversifying and a bit of peace of mind, but I would not bank on them for the majority of emergency funds to say the least.

I Bonds are about 30-40% of my current emergency funds, but i A. Am budgeting a higher emergency fund ever since covid and B. Had to dip into my general emergency fund a few months ago, so it will hopefully go back to about 25% of my emergency fund.

Would you mind sharing how you keep your emergency funds and more of your logic behind it? I'm curious why you wouldn't bank on I bonds for the majority of your emergency fund. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, I'm just curious about your thinking.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
FWIW I keep my emergency fund separate from my I-series bonds, and I only bought the I-bonds back in late 2021/early 2022, I think - we had some surplus that had built up. I've since redone how much we invest in our post-tax (after maxing 401ks, Roth contributions, HSA, charity, and all the other lower-my-taxable-and-grow-it-lower-tax stuff) so we don't have surpluses of that scale; they're just gonna sit there until inflation is defeated this time.

Most of that is because it's insanely awful to log on to treasurydirect, I don't want to risk "poo poo, I need this in four days" with some weird crap that was never properly migrated from ActiveX and thus causes weird government IT things to happen.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Emergency Fund. I keep 10,000 in I-bonds (I just started buying them) and 90,000 in SPAXX (7 day yield fo 4.91%). Am I doing this wrong?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
oops. ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I-bonds in an emergency fund isn't a great idea because you can't immediately access them for a year, and will incur a penalty to do so for a while after. SPAXX isn't FDIC insured.

Still, I-bonds in an emergency fund isn't a terrible idea-- there are way worse ones!