Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Mailer posted:

I think the disconnect is you believe that's the season, and everyone playing the season is telling you that "new content" is the most technically correct answer possible. You're not missing anything.

Sure, maybe at season 1 there's a dearth of content, but surely after a few seasons they'd have a decent game to login too?

Isn't that how POE works? After the season ends that poo poo goes to the non-seasonal stuff? That would be an ok compromise if its a revenue issue, I'd be fine with waiting 3 months for the season content to get transferred over to eternal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It sounds like you don't like this kind of game and you're just posting through it

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If you are playing an eternal realm character that has already fully optimized their gear, it is virtually impossible to create "new and interesting" seasonal mechanics to meaningfully engage that character.

What is your motivation to go out and farm dungeons or do anything when you already are "done" with the power growth part of the game? Historically, the game industry's answer to that question is "because we increased the level cap and your previous progress is worthless", at which point we have accomplished a seasonal reset by another name.

Rock Puncher posted:

Isn't that how POE works? After the season ends that poo poo goes to the non-seasonal stuff? That would be an ok compromise if its a revenue issue, I'd be fine with waiting 3 months for the season content to get transferred over to eternal

In PoE, it takes a variable amount of time for some pared down version of seasonal stuff to make its way into the "core" version of the game, generally ~2 seasons later. I think D4 will eventually start incorporating things from past seasons into the core game as well, which would include both seasons and eternal.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 29, 2023

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Scoss posted:

If you are playing an eternal realm character that has already fully optimized their gear, it is virtually impossible to create "new and interesting" seasonal mechanics to meaningfully engage that character.

What is your motivation to go out and farm dungeons or do anything when you already are "done" with the power growth part of the game? Historically, the game industry's answer to that question is "because we increase the level cap and your previous progress is worthless", at which point we have accomplished a seasonal reset by another name.

don't the new items change your characters power? I doubt most people in my position are fully optimised, I know I was far from it, but I also don't care about being fully optimised. I just play for fun.

having said that, the argument is also fail because, again, there's literally no harm in giving that content to players who don't want to level up from 1 again. If they're making it anyway, may as well let everyone access it, even if some people are done.

Rock Puncher fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 29, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s an arpg

You are not supposed to play one character for months

Edit

Remember this genre started by being HC, Ironman only. The SC leagues were already a compromise (that became necessary when the games went to online only )

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

It’s an arpg

You are not supposed to play one character for months

I disagree with that fundamentally because most ARPGs I've played I don't play for months in general and also I haven't even hit level cap, sure if you're playing hundreds of hours it makes sense to level up multiple times, when you play this game casually it's just annoying, because you aren't playing a character for months, you're playing a character for a few days /played.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rock Puncher posted:

I disagree with that fundamentally

There is nothing to disagree with . That’s like disagreeing with the statement “the Nile is a river in Egypt”

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Scoss posted:

In PoE, it takes a variable amount of time for some pared down version of seasonal stuff to make its way into the "core" version of the game, generally ~2 seasons later. I think D4 will eventually start incorporating things from past seasons into the core game as well, which would include both seasons and eternal.

Yea, this sounds fine then, there's no rush, I just think it's pretty stupid in context of this being a full priced game and poe being a free game and thus needing to do more poo poo like that to keep the lights on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s like if you played an mmo and started a new character every 2 weeks.

Sure you could do that, but that’s not the way the game is designed

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

There is nothing to disagree with . That’s like disagreeing with the statement “the Nile is a river in Egypt”

The disagreement is the assumption that ARPGs are what you say they are. It's a very narrow definition of ARPG and one that a lot of players of ARPGs might not actually experience, due to not playing the game for thousands of hours.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The seasonal content sucks rear end. It is boring, tedious, and super loving random. I'm playing my S1 character because Necro is fun, not because I want anything to do with this lovely malignant heart nonsense.

I dunno if that will help you feel any better about it Rock Puncher.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

It’s like if you played an mmo and started a new character every 2 weeks.

Sure you could do that, but that’s not the way the game is designed

I played 1 character in D1
1 character in grim dawn
1 character in torchlight 1/2

the only arpg where I've done the heaps of new characters is d2, and that's only because I played that game an unhealthy amount. Even back then the ladder reset like twice in 4 years.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Rock Puncher posted:

there's literally no harm in giving that content to players who don't want to level up from 1 again.

This is actually a huge compounding QA burden to have to design seasonal mechanics in the context of knowing that there is a hosed up eternal realm where items and features permanently coexist with the full-fat leftovers of every previous season they've ever made. Right now, they have strong controls over what gets into the eternal realm by essentially bleaching the seasonal stuff off characters when they migrate to eternal at the end of the season. New seasons will only have the current seasonal content plus whatever trimmed-down version of past seasonal stuff they have decided to test and make permanent.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Scoss posted:

This is actually a huge compounding QA burden to have to design seasonal mechanics in the context of knowing that there is a hosed up eternal realm where items and features permanently coexist with the full-fat leftovers of every previous season they've ever made. Right now, they have strong controls over what gets into the eternal realm by essentially bleaching the seasonal stuff characters when they migrate to eternal at the end of the season. New seasons will only have the current seasonal content plus whatever trimmed-down version of past seasonal stuff they have decided to test and make permanent.

bro they can't even code the stash, just let them have fun, no one cares about balance except the worst people you know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rock Puncher posted:

I played 1 character in D1
1 character in grim dawn
1 character in torchlight 1/2

the only arpg where I've done the heaps of new characters is d2, and that's only because I played that game an unhealthy amount. Even back then the ladder reset like twice in 4 years.

Ok fair enough

Sorry if I was too aggro 🙏

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm not talking about balance, I'm talking about making the game client explode because some stuff they made in season 2 interacts catastrophically with something they made in season 6.

Making all that content play nicely together is not trivial, becomes a bigger burden over time, and ultimately serves an incredibly tiny number of players.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Ok fair enough

Sorry if I was too aggro 🙏

all good, you're awesome. so I'm fine with our disagreement

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Scoss posted:

I'm not talking about balance, I'm talking about making the game client explode because some stuff they made in season 2 interacts catastrophically with something they made in season 6.

Making all that content play nicely together is not trivial, becomes a bigger burden over time, and ultimately serves an incredibly tiny number of players.

That's a fair excuse, but if season 1 is any indication, I don't think they have to worry too much about new systems clashing.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
please don't assume anything about the technical debt of any game, ever.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rock Puncher posted:

Sure, maybe at season 1 there's a dearth of content, but surely after a few seasons they'd have a decent game to login too?

I have no idea how PoE works, but I know how D3 works, and while they've let some things bleed through the bulk of them are designed to be one-and-done gimmicks. Not changing anything really, just providing a new chase object for players during that season. You're seriously, seriously overestimating the content involved.

For reference, you left more content on the floor by not hitting 100 than you'll get in any season.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Season 1’s problem is how close it was to launch, not its content. The hearts are cool and the game should probably have just launched with this in a season, or waited a few months and gone with more content.

The devs correctly believe that learning the characters and rare items and aspects and maps and dungeons is enough for now. Like prior games, build-revolutionizing uniques and poo poo will be added to make the game fresh again once the base mechanics aren’t enough to scratch the itch.

D2 and D3 actually prove blizzard is good at optimizing over time, and the recent dev communications give me a lot of faith. Game is good and future is bright.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rock Puncher posted:

too much like a job and not enough new and interesting things happen. I have already played all the classes except druid and they all suck compared to sorc anyway, having said that I didn't get them all to level 70 and I really don't care to

What is your idea of fun and interesting things happening? And lol about everyone saying S1 has only one hour of content but you'll find you can easily spend much more than one hour posting about S1

Rock Puncher posted:

having said that, the argument is also fail because

Jesus Christ

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Mailer posted:

I have no idea how PoE works, but I know how D3 works, and while they've let some things bleed through the bulk of them are designed to be one-and-done gimmicks. Not changing anything really, just providing a new chase object for players during that season. You're seriously, seriously overestimating the content involved.

For reference, you left more content on the floor by not hitting 100 than you'll get in any season.

that's brutal. I assumed it would be more like POE where the new content is pretty significant, but I haven't played a lot of that game so maybe i'm just overestimating again.

Fair enough. I assume the reason to hit 100 is to fight uber lilith but getting to 100 right now doesn't seem like a worthy time investment for that.

Thanks for your posts everyone, sorry again for being on the wrong side and being vocal about it. I'll get out of here for a while again.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

What is your idea of fun and interesting things happening? And lol about everyone saying S1 has only one hour of content but you'll find you can easily spend much more than one hour posting about S1

Jesus Christ

Not the same 7 dungeons over and over again mainly

some of the side quests are good, but it's hard to know which ones are good and which ones are boar rear end collection

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
game plz give me a wrathful invoker

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gotcha. Make sure you hit the Heretic series in Hawezar. Excellent storyline!

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Gotcha. Make sure you hit the Heretic series in Hawezar. Excellent storyline!

noting this for when i reinstall, thank you

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Tokubetsu posted:

game plz give me a wrathful invoker

seems like 1/20 or so odds from mystery invoker cache that is crazy expensive. Would not recommend unless you’re out of other things to do with the mats and want to grind a lvl5 wrathful.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rock Puncher posted:

noting this for when i reinstall, thank you

It's a good one, and it hits a bunch of dungeons so it's great for renown

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Every time I come back to lurk itt, it's 5 pages of dudes arguing about whether this game is good. It's certainly something...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh yeah and Kehjistan has the most camel related quests so it's S tier

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

coelomate posted:

seems like 1/20 or so odds from mystery invoker cache that is crazy expensive. Would not recommend unless you’re out of other things to do with the mats and want to grind a lvl5 wrathful.

yeah i've opened about 40-50 and haven't seen one yet

remain unconvinced of their existence

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

kaxman posted:

Maybe they'll drop more in WT4? Hopefully the patch buffs the drop rate from the cache

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kaxman posted:

I’m never gonna complete that stupid season journey item lol

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I played ARPG's long, long before seasons were invented. I remember when seasons were introduced as part of the microtransaction revolution that took over gaming.

There is quite a bit of arrogance around defining 'ARPG' in this thread that feels less like a fun examination of gaming philosophy and more like corporate stoogery

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shuka posted:

I played ARPG's long, long before seasons were invented. I remember when seasons were introduced as part of the microtransaction revolution that took over gaming.

Seasonal (ladder) characters have been in Diablo games since 2003.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I really hope that Walking Arsenal buff Barb is getting makes a big difference because god drat this poo poo is fun

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ehud posted:

But that’s only… oh god.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ehud posted:

I always saw D2 ladder as being an optional way to play so the die-hards have something extra to do and actually compete with other players.

Today, seasons are the mandatory way of playing any new content. And there isn't even a leaderboard yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Angband had ladders and tournaments all the time prior to D1

Iirc