Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My favorite geographical pearl is that continental South America is entirely east of Florida.

My internal map makes this an endlessly fascinating fact whenever I remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Ok it may be Charlie Weis wide but is it Mark Mangino wide?

trick question nothing is as wide as Mark

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

My favorite geographical pearl is that continental South America is entirely east of Florida.

My internal map makes this an endlessly fascinating fact whenever I remember it.

Agreed also that Maine is closer to Africa than Florida and betting people on whether Atlanta is east of Detroit

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Hed posted:

betting people on whether Atlanta is east of Detroit

what the hell

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:catdrugs:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LeeMajors posted:

Reno is west of Los Angeles

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Seaniqua posted:

what the hell

america slanty on both sides

tulane in the pacX would be funny lets do it

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

in detroit canada is to the south

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Greenland is north south east and west of iceland

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Seaniqua posted:

what the hell

Hey at least it’s really close.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I endlessly grapple with the strangeness that the north-south land imbalance creates. There's no permanent population center of any real size (1000+ people) south of 55 South. There's only something like a million permanent residents south of 45 South. Meanwhile, Europe north of Venice is north of 45 North.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Going solely by longitude, Alaska is the easternmost and westernmost state.

Also, I know that most of Europe is north of the US, but it's hard to grasp that concept sometimes. The Mediterranean is even with the cold northern cities in the US.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Hed posted:

Agreed also that Maine is closer to Africa than Florida and betting people on whether Atlanta is east of Detroit

We really need another time zone in the US. Eastern Time zone is too wide

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when i was driving to Miami across I 10, i was stunned that I didn't enter the eastern time zone until i was well into the state of florida.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hed posted:

Agreed also that Maine is closer to Africa than Florida

I’m assuming this is wholly a function of flat maps, but drat

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I’m assuming this is wholly a function of flat maps, but drat

not really lol, Maine is almost 1,000 kms closer to Africa than Florida is

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Alaois posted:

Well I meant the way flat maps have skewed our mental picture.

*also the north/south skew. I think I at least mentally tend to parallel Africa and South America, when it’s far further north in reality. Much like Spain’s latitude is on par with New England.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 29, 2023

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

kayakyakr posted:

We really need another time zone in the US. Eastern Time zone is too wide

What? No we don't. Eastern is fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

I definitely read the first fact as Maine being closer to Africa than Maine is to Florida, which can’t be right.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Four weeks to go to week 0. Is it just me or does it look bleaker than usual this year? It looks like that every year.

Maybe Navy will pull off some crazy poo poo because they’re playing on an island and ND might start slow again.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 29, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Week zero for me is mostly for watching FCS teams just because it's football and it's been a while. Weird things happen sometimes and it's maybe sort of fun.

We've got North Alabama/Mercer straight up on ESPN in the afternoon. Jackson State/SC State is actually on ABC in prime time?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sorry to last page necro but

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Does the PAC scramble and add a bunch of teams to survive? Based on what they've done so far(absolutely nothing), I would be surprised. Especially with Cal and Stanford unwilling to look past academics for years. If a couple more teams ditch I think it's really dead. loving sad.

The biggest thing the Pac-12 has going for it is the auto-playoff spot once it expands to 12 next year. That alone is motivation enough to keep the conference alive and add in San Diego State/SMU/Colorado School of Mines/whomever. Even if the Arizonas jump the Pac will plug in two more and keep going along.

Meanwhile Boise will be forever standing on the sidelines throwing their panties at whichever major conference has an opening.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Four weeks to go to week 0. Is it just me or does it look bleaker than usual this year? It looks like that every year.

Maybe Navy will pull off some crazy poo poo because they’re playing on an island and ND might start slow again.

Ireland games = chaos

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/SSN_Hokies/status/1685265739660263424?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sounds like absolute hokum

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Just based on who is not listed, it gives credence to rumblings that the SEC might go after UNC and UVA if they expand again. Would they go after two more to get to 20?

Also if that happens the Big 12 should scoop up Duke and Louisville and just go all in on being the best at basketball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
ASU in the Big 10 would be pretty funny.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know if I believe 24. From what I've seen the networks have been telling the Big 12 to not go higher than 16 and some are even saying 14.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The tweet doesn’t seem credible enough to even merit discussion.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Big Ten ain't collapsing the ACC if ND isn't 100% coming

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ACC has the media rights for their schools for the next decade, even if they jump ACC gets that money. No one from the ACC is going anywhere until the deal either expires or ESPN tears it up for something new.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Sorry to last page necro but

The biggest thing the Pac-12 has going for it is the auto-playoff spot once it expands to 12 next year. That alone is motivation enough to keep the conference alive and add in San Diego State/SMU/Colorado School of Mines/whomever. Even if the Arizonas jump the Pac will plug in two more and keep going along.

Meanwhile Boise will be forever standing on the sidelines throwing their panties at whichever major conference has an opening.

Reminder to everyone that no conference champions have auto bids. The 6 conf champ bids go to the 6 highest ranked conf champs. So yes the P5 will likely send their champ every year, but it's not guarenteed. In the models from past seasons the P12 hasn't sent their champ at least once if this system was used.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Also, I know that most of Europe is north of the US, but it's hard to grasp that concept sometimes. The Mediterranean is even with the cold northern cities in the US.

I hadn't fully appreciated the actual impact of how far north it is until seeing the sun set after 10 pm in Switzerland.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sash! posted:

I hadn't fully appreciated the actual impact of how far north it is until seeing the sun set after 10 pm in Switzerland.

Yeah. The Dublin game kickoff is 7:30 pm local, so 2:30 US east coast, and is likely to be played entirely in sunlight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Grittybeard posted:

ASU in the Big 10 would be pretty funny.

It makes sense in the sense that there are a ton of Ohio State fans in Arizona. Also it's a huge media market. It's a funny contrast to the phoenix paper lamenting that ASU is getting left in the cold and only Arizona is "moving up" to the Big 12.

Then at the very end they add a correction tweet from the reporter they're sourcing saying "the Arizona board of regents will not likely approve the schools going to different conferences." Which lol no poo poo.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

For many years I've thought that the funniest thing to do with a 20-24 team megaconference is for the divisions to play round robin in exactly the same manner as conferences used to, so that nothing ends up changing except for the teams that make it to the conference title game.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

drunk leprechaun posted:

What? No we don't. Eastern is fine.

The sun should never set before 5:00 PM. 4:30 in the winter is ridiculous, and maine is even worse off.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Living in B1G country has hardened me to live without sunshine for six months out of the year. Daylight just accentuates how grey it is all day.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

The sun should never set before 5:00 PM. 4:30 in the winter is ridiculous, and maine is even worse off.

Dude you've just got issues with living closer to a pole. Early sunsets like that are totally common in places further north. Your fight is with the earth's tilt, not timezones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got tickets to Washington-Boise State to open the season. Should be a good one!