Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

opengl posted:

This is dumb as all hell

it's cool actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
That whole blurb reads like something I’d expect from an April Fools press release.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

End of an era.

(Last Fiesta off the line signed by everyone who made it)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d love to see the nameplate brought back for a b segment electric car. Nobody in America would buy it, but I feel like it would have legs globally.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

yes, a big beautiful curvy one, but also lol they gave it fake DSG flappy paddles (I actually think that’s fun/arguably less contrived than Toyota’s simulated manual)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
No, they are gigantic SUVs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl posted:

This is dumb as all hell

As long as you can turn it off if you want it's not a bad idea

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

opengl posted:

This is dumb as all hell

prom candy posted:

it's cool actually
It's definitely dumb but as long as it's optional it's the good kind of dumb which is also cool. If it's good it should be fun to play with and the idea of trying to make EV driving more engaging is something we should be encouraging even if some of those ideas won't work out.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had the first visit to the local dealership, the cold side charge pipe for the intercooler popped off, so zero boost whatsoever. I was pretty sure that’s what it was, but since it’s under cpo warranty for two months to the dealership it went. They also replaced the right rearview mirror assembly, as there is a temp sensor in there that also went bad. That, at least, was covered under the warranty.

Then once I got home, I put on the logo insert stickers that arrived yesterday.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I just drove a loaded up with dealer options demo Integra Type-S with the wife. She loves it, the kids like it, I think it's coming home.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

trouser chili posted:

I just drove a loaded up with dealer options demo Integra Type-S with the wife. She loves it, the kids like it, I think it's coming home.

:hellyeah:

what color?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

They've loaded it with carbon fiber doodads, lighted doorsills, other wheels, alcantara steering wheel, lighted nose, other poo poo.... but are selling at MSRP, which is nice.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 14, 2023

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wolrah posted:

It's definitely dumb but as long as it's optional it's the good kind of dumb which is also cool. If it's good it should be fun to play with and the idea of trying to make EV driving more engaging is something we should be encouraging even if some of those ideas won't work out.
I like paddles on EVs to control regen level, and always wondered what it'd be like if they did more with it than just that. So while dumb and goofy I kinda welcome it.

But yeah as mentioned the Ioniq 5 is a big boy. I think there was a pic someone posted in here a while back showing how much it dwarfed their actual small hot hatch.

Speaking of questionable Hyundai hot hatch-like vehicles, finally got new wheels and tires for my Kona N :toot:

Went down to 18s with fatter rubber to help the ride a bit, still trashy but seems subtly better. Was a bit paranoid about brake clearance but there's plenty of room. Offset sticks out 15mm more but it's just about flush with the fenders luckily, at worst maybe slight poke.

trouser chili posted:

.... but are selling at MSRP, which is nice.
What's the price of all those doodads add up to on top of the MSRP?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

They've loaded it with carbon fiber doodads, lighted doorsills, other wheels, alcantara steering wheel, lighted nose, other poo poo.... but are selling at MSRP, which is nice.

drat dude that's fuckin sweet. You gonna trade in the TLX? I would in a heartbeat :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm old and the Integra Type-S just feels kinda cheap compared to the TLX, so the plan would be to have both. Benro's 91 wagon needs a motor, schwags needs a motor, and there is now another driver in the family. A daughter whom drives and does not "like cars", but wanted to and did first learn to drive on a manual transmission. So I think they'd split use of it and/or the TLX, and the odybus, and the Miata. Four drivers, four decent cars. I'm happy with that and maybe I'll hit schwags hard enough with a hammer that it'll be convinced to run again so no-one ever has to drive the Ody. The old ITR just sits, it scares me to drive it.

But there is another rub; The new Z is both cheaper and 80hp richer, and available.

japtor posted:

What's the price of all those doodads add up to on top of the MSRP?

They bring it to touch on $60K, they gave it everything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/PRoW6wWJ9Dw

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.facebook.com/reel/275882678358021

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

lmbo

in hatch news, taking the gr corolla to its first autox this weekend :getin:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thinking about getting a hitch installed on my gti to make hauling my bike around easier. Any reason not to?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I towed a HF trailer with one or two motorcycles for a few thousand miles when I had my 2016 GTI. No issues at all, I used the Curt setup.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Aesthetics and a slight hit to ground clearance are the biggest things. It also gets a little close to the exhaust, but I don’t think it’s much of an issue. I’ve got the roof rack setup, but a hitch setup has its benefits for sure.

Edit: That Golf is really living its best life. Props.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm short and my bike is heavy so unfortunately roof mounting is not for me. I had a roof rack setup on my Civic for my kayak and it was so annoying to use I just left my kayak at my inlaws place on the water and stopped going anywhere else with it haha

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The exhaust on my FiST clanks on my hitch occasionally but after I installed some aftermarket exhaust hangers it's mostly fine except on extremely bumpy surfaces. Ground clearance has never really been an issue, even coming out of an extremely steep driveway at a vacation rental. I am firmly pro-hitch since a small trailer can handle most of the things I might otherwise want to do with a truck.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
that feeling when you get the roundabout in second gear just right

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What are the best mud flaps for the FoST?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

devmd01 posted:

What are the best mud flaps for the FoST?

Do you pronounce it "Foust" (o as in boat) or "Fost" (as in frost without the r)?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you pronounce it "fo" as in "Focus" what the hell

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

devmd01 posted:

that feeling when you get the roundabout in second gear just right

Depends on how flappy you like them. Rokbloks are a good stiff one that I used on my FoST for several years, Rally Armor are a great softer one that I'm currently using.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have rokblocks on the fist

they work

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i have rokblocks on the fist

they work

I like the splash guards they have with the lower profile, definitely going to put that on my list.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Do you pronounce it "Foust" (o as in boat) or "Fost" (as in frost without the r)?

you pronounce it “Faust” as in the sort of bargain you made when you purchased it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

you pronounce it “Faust” as in the sort of bargain you made when you purchased it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ok Comboomer posted:

you pronounce it “Faust” as in the sort of bargain you made with your SO when you purchased it

:mad:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you pronounce it "fo" as in "Focus" what the hell

Ok, but do you call it the Fist or the Feast by that logic?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

But fist is a real word

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

But fist is a real word

As opposed to feast, which is just nonsense.

I say “fist” when I’m not calling it “the party car”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My car is named FiST of the North Star (do not steal)

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

no lube so what posted:

lmbo

in hatch news, taking the gr corolla to its first autox this weekend :getin:

Post how it goes, I’m getting my GTI ready for auto cross but won’t go until November because of scheduling

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Arcella posted:

Post how it goes, I’m getting my GTI ready for auto cross but won’t go until November because of scheduling

The event was yesterday. Usually this league runs on the Saturday/Sunday but this was a late afternoon affair starting at 3pm and going to 9pm. I really like this organization, because it is not a sanctioned scca solo event. It's a lot more akin to a rec league than a rigid competition. There are some things that make these events unique. For starters it's held at a local track, Evergreen Speedway. Since it is an oval track we use the oval track's transponder system. This is cool, because it creates a situation where the first gate has a really long rolling start and the finish is always a straight onto the outer oval. Another cool thing is that there are only three divisions. FWD, AWD, RWD. So, yeah, it is hard to be competitive, but the lack of tight classes leads to more runs and less rules lawyers. I really enjoy the program they put on there. The dude who runs it is very chill, his staff are chill. The only thing they give a gently caress about is safety and fun. Every drivers meeting he really drives this in by his standard joke, "this is an open track day with competition sprinkled in." A big bonus is because of the fact it's at a track and has staff, as a participant, you don't need to shag cones and get a lot of time to hang out with everyone. It's a cool community.

The general flow is you get 3 sessions with 4 runs per session for a total of 12 runs per event. This dude put out a pretty good video of the track for anyone interested in the event, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z_G-CPWgs. He's also super fast and takes home the top time often in a bunch of different cars.

I've been going for the last couple of years. My autocross car is a mr2 Spyder that I've souped-up to get somewhat competitive, with 11th overall being my best (4th RWD). Often in the mid teens. 2zz engine, 200tw tires, very stiff springs, and a fair amount of wheel time. RWD is the most stacked division and will often include carts, modern 911, people running hoosier a7, stuff like that.

AWD usually has the least number of competitors but has the current heavy weight dumping on everyone, a Tesla model 3 dual motor running a7. He takes the overall win quite often. Along with the Tesla, you'll see Subarus, Focus RS, TTRS, M240, Evo, etc

FWD will have the a mix of Gti, civics, mini and Hyundai shooting it out. lately, a dude in is $300 95 civic has been eating everyone's lunch. It's cool because he has been chipping at it of a couple of years and now it's all coming together.

Yesterday was a little weird since it was a Friday. The field was thin at ~70 participants, and missing some of the regulars. There was still plenty of competition. The course layout will vary. Sometimes it's slow with barrel obstacles and tight slaloms. Sometimes it's set up fast with more sweepy turns and lines to set up long accelerations. This course was set up fast.

The gr corolla was great. The car is bone stock including the Michelin 4s tires. I've changed out the fluids but that's it. Overall I was putting down 1:18-1:13s when the tip of the spear had there best times in the 1:03/1:04 range. Ended up ~40th overall. The first session out there I ran with cold tire pressure at 30psi all around. Took off all the traction control, had it in sport mode (throttle response & max boost), and 50:50 torque split. I was slow. the car loved to push, I couldn't maintain boost, was modulating the throttle like an NA, and I just couldn't string anything together. This was my first time really trying to drive the car, so I would like to chalk it up to that, but I am also not that good in general.

Second session, I added some more air to my rear tires, 34 psi, and moved the torque split to 30:70. This helped with pushing, but compared to the mr2 on sticky tires it feels like a hog. I got better about getting on the accelerator early to spool the turbo and accommodate for the lag. All of these factors helped me chip the time down from 1:18-1:16 first session times to 1:15-1:14 times.

The last session went similar to the second, but the seat time and cooler track helped me find another second.

The car felt very planted until it go pushy, when the turbo spooled it has the go, the shifter is nice and having a solid AC on the hot day was crucial. Oil temps stayed under 220f, water temps under 190f. To get the car competitive it would take a lot. More tire, more spring, appropriate dampener, better driver to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
In the market for a GTI, probably new. I just cannot decide if I'd want the DSG or a manual. I've driven manual all my life, and don't drive much in slow traffic areas. I at least think I have my ideal color decided.