Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

euphronius posted:

Ah yea retirement

That’s where I sell my house and give all the money to a health care facility

this poo poo is fuckin terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I wanna live in the same unincorporated Menlo Park neighborhood I grew up in during the 90s, complete with neighbors who did things for a living like teach kids and fix shitters. That’s my real home, not the east bay, and especially not places we only visited back in the day to stop for gas on the way to Tahoe. :colbert:

I want to live in a Beverly Hills mansion, but hey good luck to you on that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

indigi posted:

this poo poo is fuckin terrifying

Medicaid nursing facility clawbacks are going to completely gently caress future generations lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ammanas posted:

fwiw id take anything a real estate agent or mortgage broker/loan officer says with a huge grain of salt. they are absolutely feeling the squeeze and are highly motivated to maintain the status quo of high prices.

always

I was lucky and had a guy who I had a connection with. his advice was always ‘we have no idea what rates are very going to do, if you’re comfortable with the rate now, lock it in. if you can afford to gamble, wait.’

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

euphronius posted:

Ah yea retirement

That’s where I sell my house and give all the money to a health care facility

yeah

poo poo

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

always

I was lucky and had a guy who I had a connection with. his advice was always ‘we have no idea what rates are very going to do, if you’re comfortable with the rate now, lock it in. if you can afford to gamble, wait.’

that’s what mine said. I told him lock it in right now.

I don’t think refinancing is going to be on the table for a very long time.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Wonder if cities converting commercial real estate into residential will shock the housing market by increasing supply? But that could also be years away to do the conversions.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

Wonder if cities converting commercial real estate into residential will shock the housing market by increasing supply? But that could also be years away to do the conversions.

probably not. labor costs, materials, etc would gouge away at any possible savings from increased supply is my guess. and conversions are exclusively done for the wealthier buyers.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Thoguh posted:

lmao going to a 99 year loan doesn't even make a difference at 7% with a $500k loan. It's $2,919.58 a month that's still almost 90% of what you're paying for a 30 year loan

The interest payment on the first month of any mortgage is rate*(loan amount)/12. In your case about $2920. A 99 year loan is just renting by another name except for price appreciation. Now you’re really gambling with leverage.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Like how? Oakland, San Pablo, Vallejo are all cities that touch the bay area water.

i have coworkers who were priced outta oakland before the pandemic

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have coworkers who were priced outta oakland before the pandemic

How loving stupid are you? Why would average price matter? We weren't talking averages. There are houses for <$500,000 in Oakland, but as I said, you will have black and brown neighbors, and I know your white liberal rear end would never be able to live there.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I think there were even a few houses <$400k, but they were on E 14th St, and since I wouldn't live there, I didn't include it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol defending the honor of the oakland housing market by posting $550/sqft shacks

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How loving stupid are you? Why would average price matter? We weren't talking averages. There are houses for <$500,000 in Oakland, but as I said, you will have black and brown neighbors, and I know your white liberal rear end would never be able to live there.

Why are you so hellbent on smearing the entire thread, née forum, as white liberals who don't want diverse neighbors? Like, every single one of us? You know all of us and our address?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
actually you're racist if you pass on this $640/sqft 2bd 1ba

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

anonumos posted:

Why are you so hellbent on smearing the entire thread, née forum, as white liberals who don't want diverse neighbors? Like, every single one of us? You know all of us and our address?

I'm just talking about the bay area posters who insist that the only houses worth living in are a $million. I've grown up here, I know their type. I'm sure there is a huge overlap who also post on nextdoor complaining about a strange person in a hoody who walked by.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually you're racist if you pass on this $640/sqft 2bd 1ba

You don't even know what average means

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i wonder what that $400k earthquake shack in sf is up to now

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You don't even know what average means

4.4 inches *starts sweating* right? *tugs necktie* RIGHT??

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

post the median and IQR instead smh

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
talking to some mortgage lenders they said they aren't expecting rates to go up soon and that it's shouldn't be a problem getting 6% or even a bit lower.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I found a property that's dropped 50% off the asking price since 2021!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4625-Highway-46n-Cumberland-City-TN-37050/329738769_zpid/

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fozzy The Bear posted:

500k for a 1000sqft house in gunshot Oakland is a tough sell.

I'm black btw, trying to find a house to buy out here. Probably gonna say gently caress it and move back east to MD where it's less of a dystopia and there are less depressing black communities

MLKQUOTEMACHINE has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Jul 28, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

talking to some mortgage lenders they said they aren't expecting rates to go up soon and that it's shouldn't be a problem getting 6% or even a bit lower.

my spouse and I have excellent credit and we locked in at 7.125 this week. maybe should have shopped around for 6 I dunno.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sonatinas posted:

my spouse and I have excellent credit and we locked in at 7.125 this week. maybe should have shopped around for 6 I dunno.

:pusheen:

Seven and a basis point. eek. Powell is a bastard.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

sonatinas posted:

do it! might as well. :shrug:

im looking at either Rocket Mortgage or Better Mortgage.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jul 28, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My understanding is that Rocket Mortgage isn't really competitive rate-wise, maybe that's changed. I went through my bank back in June and locked in 5.9%.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Failson posted:

I found a property that's dropped 50% off the asking price since 2021!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4625-Highway-46n-Cumberland-City-TN-37050/329738769_zpid/

looks like a gas station.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Some banks will let you lock in your rate for up to 180 days for a fee. It's a good option, knowing this market's inventory and the effort required to find a place.

It took us a bit over two years to find our current place. It's not really improving out there in many markets.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

500k for a 1000sqft house in gunshot Oakland is a tough sell.

I'm black btw, trying to find a house to buy out here. Probably gonna say gently caress it and move back east to MD where it's less of a dystopia and there are less depressing black communities

I spent the 00's renting a room in a 900sqft house near 98th, working at Bayfair Mall. It wasn't that bad. There weren't many homeless encampments, but crime wasn't any better. If I didn't already own a house, that's where I would buy.

Housing prices are just out of control.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

RadiRoot posted:

gimme gimme gimme

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

do it! might as well. :shrug:

im looking at either Rocket Mortgage or Better Mortgage.

I’m using a local lender that I used on my previous purchase.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i lost the offer for house #2. tried going all out, going 25% over asking price, waiving inspection, radon, and to pay commission in place of buyer. house also had lead service line (though most here still do).

lost to a full cash offer. :mildpanic:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

lost to a full cash offer. :mildpanic:

what why what’s the difference to the seller don’t they just get it all in cash from your bank and then it’s between you and your mortgage lender :confused:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
cash is faster to process, no risk of lender rejecting house or whatever. yeah it sucks poo poo. guess i just have to save up more.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

i am harry posted:

what why what’s the difference to the seller don’t they just get it all in cash from your bank and then it’s between you and your mortgage lender :confused:

If you finance you'll need to have an appraisal done. If you submit an offer above list without offering to cover the spread between contract price and appraised value it's a risk for the seller. Cash doesn't have that so it's more of a sure thing for them.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

thinking this is probably the worst time to buy. maybe next year is the year. yeah...

9 years ago that house was 116% less.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Jul 29, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

that sucks. at least you didn't pay $700+ for an inspector to take a look at a house you didn't get.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I always like to think of cash buyers showing up with a briefcase full of twenties. I know I know but that’s how I like to picture it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I always like to think of cash buyers showing up with a briefcase full of twenties. I know I know but that’s how I like to picture it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp29Mx4-4dg