Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I think World of Horror is worth it just for the art and music alone. Play it on easy until you get bored of winning all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

And here my early horror game experiences that shouldn't really be all that scary came from, like, Last Half of Darkness and Hugo's House of Horrors, haha. Granted, I was also way too young for those at the time.

as a kid I wasnt able to grok typing in the meat thing so that dog in Hugo's freaked me out

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Almost through RE Revelations, which is very, like.... fine. It passes the time and it's fun enough, I suppose. Think I'm gonna take a break from Biohazard before picking up again with RE6. Maybe I'll jump back to Fatal Frame and dust off that FF3 disc that's been sitting on my shelf for years, see what they got monks sacrificing young girls for this go around.

RE really doesn't give two shits for keeping the same voice actors for the same characters between games, do they

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 29, 2023

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I think World of Horror is worth it just for the art and music alone. Play it on easy until you get bored of winning all the time.

I'm planning on buying it when it gets out of early access. Unless it's mostly polished/finished at this point? I made a leap of faith with The Long Dark and that turned out to be a good bet with lots of support and updates to this day but I've heard so many...horror stories* about EA-status games getting dumped and by all accounts unfinished by their devs, even reputable houses like Double Fine.

*it was unavoidable

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

World of horror has been essentially done for like 3 years now...He just adds more alternate crap to it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Instant Grat posted:

RE really doesn't give two shits for keeping the same voice actors for the same characters between games, do they

I remember hearing we would have gotten the original RE2 actors for the remake but there was a strike going on during development

Ibram Gaunt posted:

World of horror has been essentially done for like 3 years now...He just adds more alternate crap to it.

I didn't know this! I was waiting until it was done done. Welp!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

well, to be clear, the creator basically went offline for like a year and some change and only in the past year did they resurface, went 'sorry bout that, real life poo poo got real, time to update' and went back to updating it as if nothing had ever changed lol. i think they've said at this point its mostly just extra content and graphical/mechanical qol stuff

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
The introductory tutorial case in World of Horror that's supposed to represent the rest of the game is also... not really representative of the rest of the game.

It really is mostly single player Arkham Horror with cool retro graphics. If that sounds good to you, consider it complete.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I remember hearing we would have gotten the original RE2 actors for the remake but there was a strike going on during development

I didn't know this! I was waiting until it was done done. Welp!

I've played 8 different Resident Evil games in the past couple of months, and I think the only instance of a character having the same voice actor in more than one of them is Chris being played by the same guy in both RE5 and Revelations

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Instant Grat posted:

I've played 8 different Resident Evil games in the past couple of months, and I think the only instance of a character having the same voice actor in more than one of them is Chris being played by the same guy in both RE5 and Revelations

I'm not surprised. The only exception I know of is Claire in Re2 original and Code Veronica. She also did Yoko in Outbreak!

Orb Crabmelt posted:

The introductory tutorial case in World of Horror that's supposed to represent the rest of the game is also... not really representative of the rest of the game.

It really is mostly single player Arkham Horror with cool retro graphics. If that sounds good to you, consider it complete.

I love the idea of Arkham Horror. No one I know likes board games, so I tried to play it solo once and it was just too much. I'm def checking out World of Horror, thank you!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 29, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Instant Grat posted:

Almost through RE Revelations, which is very, like.... fine. It passes the time and it's fun enough, I suppose. Think I'm gonna take a break from Biohazard before picking up again with RE6. Maybe I'll jump back to Fatal Frame and dust off that FF3 disc that's been sitting on my shelf for years, see what they got monks sacrificing young girls for this go around.

Revelations 2 is an improvement imo

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
So I'm way behind the curve on everything. I just played Man of Medan for the first time, and it's my first experience with anything Supermassive-related. I never played Until Dawn or the Quarry or anything. I decided to go all in on my guess at the gimmick from the outset and the quicktime events weren't that hard, so I got everyone out alive with suspiciously little drama. Are these games intended to be replayed to see about different outcomes? Because if so, all the plodding around samey ship corridors and stuff feels like a huge deterrent to that.

I enjoyed it enough to play more Supermassive stuff, I just wonder if I'm missing something. The ending especially felt rushed and abrupt. I figured the pretentious narrator would have something to say, but he seemed kind of miffed that everyone was alive and no big mistakes were made. Are these games better enjoyed with a cheesier mindset? Should I be trying zany things and trying to get people killed? Because playing conservatively was seriously anticlimactic. I did like that (at least on the surface) the mechanics seemed a bit nuanced, giving you some options like "Confront, but then don't attack," which allowed me to do exactly what I wanted to do, unlike games like Telltale's Walking Dead, which only offered me things that I *didn't* want to do. Is that pretty superficial? Or is there a fair amount of meaningful variation in these Supermassive games?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Man of Median is the worse of the supermassive games so definitely don't judge them all by that. There are some variations, you can get completely different scenes and outcomes, but it does try it's damnest to get you through the same plot beats. It's generally better if you do this game with friends where you all choose different characters to play as (the shared stories function I believe it's called).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It is possible to kill a character late-game in Man of Medan by giving her a beer when you think the choices don't matter that much, which is something I wish they did more lol

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ineffiable posted:

Man of Median is the worse of the supermassive games so definitely don't judge them all by that. There are some variations, you can get completely different scenes and outcomes, but it does try it's damnest to get you through the same plot beats. It's generally better if you do this game with friends where you all choose different characters to play as (the shared stories function I believe it's called).
You felt Little Hope was better?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Darthemed posted:

Little Hope was better in terms of story structure, though the story itself wasn't as good, if that makes sense. Man of Medan was just a bunch of jumping around from weird thing to weird thing before it suddenly ends and then something you did a while ago determines the ending.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The beasties in Little Hope were definitely cooler than Man of Medan, although (vague MoM spoiler) creepy sailor lady totally kicked rear end.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My experience has been that the Dark Pictures games all blow massive chunks, while Until Dawn and The Quarry were at least goofy fun (as long as you're into splatter B-flicks)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Until Dawn and the Quarry are just way better than any of the Dark Pictures I've played. House of Ashes was decent but the pacing got really boring at times. Man of Medan Starts out great but just gets worse and worse. Haven't played the other two.

Also the Dark Pictures VR game blows, which is disappointing when the Until Dawn one was awesome. Also cost twice as much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Quarry even had Grace Zabriskie being full on late-stage Sarah Palmer in it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Darthemed posted:

Yes but not by that much. I liked the setting and the lore pieces they tried in that game better at least.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Little Hope was better in terms of story structure, though the story itself wasn't as good, if that makes sense. Man of Medan was just a bunch of jumping around from weird thing to weird thing before it suddenly ends and then something you did a while ago determines the ending.

The flipside of Little Hope is that if the story doesn't grab you immediately it probably never will, and you can probably guess where it's going from the start if you're a fan of horror games. I agree the story was better in an objective sense than Man of Medan but the group I was playing collectively found it so boring that most of them kind of stopped paying attention well before the end, and as one of the people who didn't, I can't blame them

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

House of Asses is definitively the strongest of the Dark Pictures so far but they’re all varying degrees of mid. I like em though. Devil had some neat new stuff I didn’t think got capitalized on very well but it’s for better or worse a very straightforward cheesy slasher.

Until Dawn and The Quarry are definitely stronger efforts.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

man nurse posted:

House of Asses

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
south park did it

dare you enter the chamber of farts?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The Dark Pictures present

Man of rear end
Little rear end
House of Asses

And concludes with the final episode:

The rear end in Me

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

House of Asses is way better than a horror game where the characters are mostly Marines in post-9/11 Iraq should be. Like genuinely that game was real good played with friends

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Watching my friend furiously mash that quicktime event while trying to keep the soldier alive while i'm going "NO, STOP" down the mic was so good.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The climax was very fun couch co-op, can only imagine how intense it is with more than two people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What's wild in House of Ashes is how much you can miss if you don't keep the guy alive at the beginning who's holding the rope. Like there's an entire subplot about how the creatures infect others, and they infect the main character, and she needs to be cocooned to save her (which is a risky ask), and there's a whole thing if she isn't and needs to be fought/killed, etc. My friends and I missed that whole thing when we played it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1686392068242055169?s=20

For anyone that still plays DBD.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Morpheus posted:

What's wild in House of Ashes is how much you can miss if you don't keep the guy alive at the beginning who's holding the rope. Like there's an entire subplot about how the creatures infect others, and they infect the main character, and she needs to be cocooned to save her (which is a risky ask), and there's a whole thing if she isn't and needs to be fought/killed, etc. My friends and I missed that whole thing when we played it.

Haha, I cut the rope and my friend gave me so much poo poo over it

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Where the gently caress is the Kona sequel? :argh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You fuckers.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reality heard we wanted another Alien horror game, and another finger curled closed on the monkey’s paw.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
At first it seems weird, but you know mechanically DBD is actually perfect for Alien, just replace the hooks with goopy cocoons. If you really want to get spicy, instead of the big ol' spiderleg that comes for you while you're on the hook, replace it with a facehugger.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DBDs worst maps are all the interior ones, and considering this will be on the Nostromo I don't see it being good. They'll also have to make the interiors less claustrophobic in order to accommodate the camera, and you can already see how high the ceilings are.

I'm curious as to what the walking/running animations for the Xeno are going look like.

They better give us all of the interior areas of the Nostromo as well. I can't believe I'm going to play DBD again.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Bussamove posted:

Reality heard we wanted another Alien horror game, and another finger curled closed on the monkey’s paw.

I really want an Alien edutainment game

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

And I just reinstalled "Isolation!"

e: Also Dark Descent is on sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Plan R posted:

And I just reinstalled "Isolation!"