Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Jack B Nimble posted:

Like Ster, Jerma, and other folks I'm back playing TF2. What are the community servers that will eat me alive? I saw someone mentioned something called Uncletopia?

https://uncletopia.com/servers . Trends towards higher skilled players, though there are still unskilled players here and there. No random crits, class limit of 3, fixed shotgun spread. Loves payload maps for some reason. I play there pretty much exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, if you want decent competition definitely go to Uncletopia. Casual valve is in an okay state but has the same issues it always had i.e. teams are often unbalanced, huge differences in skill etc

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Uncletopia might have a crazy high skill ceiling but in my experience most of the time it's a bunch of folks wandering around not knowing what to do just like any other TF2 server. The ruleset is a bit stricter but if you're a returning player you've probably seen enough crits and all-class rushes for the novelty of those to have long since worn off.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Geight posted:

Uncletopia might have a crazy high skill ceiling but in my experience most of the time it's a bunch of folks wandering around not knowing what to do just like any other TF2 server. The ruleset is a bit stricter but if you're a returning player you've probably seen enough crits and all-class rushes for the novelty of those to have long since worn off.

I just played a few rounds and that seemed about right; the game flow was your usual disorganized grabassery (and I'm not complaining about that, it's so refreshing after spending years trying to like Over Watch), but the top 5 players on a team always knew how to be about their business.

Edit - is there any way I can get TF2 to try to auto-join several full servers at once?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 28, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I dont get class limits, tbh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xakura posted:

having more than a third of your team be the same class is always going to be pure suffering for either you or the other team depending on the situation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

cock hero flux posted:

having more than a third of your team be the same class is always going to be pure suffering for either you or the other team depending on the situation.

It's like Christmas Mornin'!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Xakura posted:

you will get it once you play against a normal team while youre all spies.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ArfJason posted:

you will get it once you play against a normal team while youre all spies.

I've played this game since before pyro got airblast. I've been in, and played against plenty of dumb and/or funny team compositions. I don't think it should be restricted by server rules.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Xakura posted:

At a limit of 3, you really don't run into it very much unless you're the sort of weirdo who races to be a spy or sniper when joining a server.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The most fun games I've ever been involved with:
12 soldiers vs 12 demomen
12 soldiers vs 12 soldiers
12 demomen vs 12 demomen
11 medics + 1 heavy vs 11 medics + 1 heavy

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Xakura posted:

I've played this game since before pyro got airblast. I've been in, and played against plenty of dumb and/or funny team compositions. I don't think it should be restricted by server rules.

Earnestly asking but: do you play with any sort of stake in possibly winning the match or is the game about the joy of the moment for you? Class limits exist so both groups can find a reasonable gameplay experience, and so the latter group doesn't wash out any hope of the former group finding what they're looking for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xakura posted:

Good news! You can just join servers where that's not the case.

Otacon posted:

The most fun games I've ever been involved with:
12 soldiers vs 12 demomen
12 soldiers vs 12 soldiers
12 demomen vs 12 demomen
There are servers specifically for that kind of gameplay. It's called Class Wars.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Otacon posted:

Ah, yes, the Octopus.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I like spending the setup time as BLU as a sniper to discourage folks who casually want to try Sniper for the round, see we already have 3, and decide to try something else

Then I switch to pyro and contribute less than I would have as sniper

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
hello I did not subscribe to this thread, why is it on my control panel? I'd like to be removed immediately. Is this some sort of a game thing on the xbox?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
did point-C sewer grate sticky-camping finally get nerfed in cp_steel?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Paul MaudDib posted:

did point-C sewer grate sticky-camping finally get nerfed in cp_steel?

If I'm remembering the correct spot it did in fact get fixed

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Reiley posted:

Earnestly asking but: do you play with any sort of stake in possibly winning the match or is the game about the joy of the moment for you? Class limits exist so both groups can find a reasonable gameplay experience, and so the latter group doesn't wash out any hope of the former group finding what they're looking for.

Yeah, I always play to win, thats part of why i main medic, but I don't really mind losing as long as it's not a stomp.

I guess my view is that sometimes 4 demos is the play, and someone joining as the 5th sniper on offence is actively sabotaging the team, forcing them to play something else isn't going to fix them. Maybe I'm underestimating how easy it is to herd players.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're roof that the person who wants to be fourth sniper on offense probably isn't going to contribute no matter if they're forced to play another class, but if they can't be sniper then there's a good chance they'll go to another server.

I kinda hate class limits too because it restricts your ability to gently caress around collectively. Maybe just intense social pressure plus a votekick.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Returning to tf2, what I see as the biggest problem os RTV. People start it as soon as they lose!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Traditionally my experience with class limits is that it ensures a more consistent game experience and prevents the server from emptying out after particularly frustrating games. This sort of thing is more important for the community servers, which need to keep a critical mass of players if they want to stay active.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

It's wild that scramble got taken away from Casual, it's probably my no.1 gripe and desire when playing. I can't even change team to even the odds if steamrolling. :<

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

You're roof that the person who wants to be fourth sniper on offense probably isn't going to contribute no matter if they're forced to play another class, but if they can't be sniper then there's a good chance they'll go to another server.

that's good because I'm not on that server and the Uncletopia servers are popular

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xakura posted:

Yeah, I always play to win, thats part of why i main medic, but I don't really mind losing as long as it's not a stomp.

I guess my view is that sometimes 4 demos is the play, and someone joining as the 5th sniper on offence is actively sabotaging the team, forcing them to play something else isn't going to fix them. Maybe I'm underestimating how easy it is to herd players.

you're thinking of this as a one way street where the only problem is when playing too many of one class is going to make you lose, like having 5 snipers or whatever. The problem is that the flipside is just as bad for the quality of the game. From the perspective of someone purely wanting to win, yeah, sometimes 4 demos is the play. Sometimes 6 engineers is the play. The problem is that while yes, that play makes you win the game, it also makes the game boring and makes the other team miserable. And if you can do it to them, they can do it to you, which means that if the server allows for it then you're just as likely to be the one getting spawn-camped by 8 demomen as anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want the game to enforce class limits by default, but it's absolutely a fair thing for a community server to be doing since it generally improves the quality of matches.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can't win with just 2 demos? Skill issue. :smug:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

about the only time I get frustrated with class limits is when there's one of those irritating kunai dead ringer spies being fed an infinite meal of back by a team running at 45 FOV and no sound, and there's no way to kill him except with the raw power of backburner crits or at least airblast to knock them away, and I can't swap to pyro for a few lives to sit on them

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I understand that there'd be technical limitations preventing this from working correctly but it would be cool if one team was steamrolling and the other team was shedding players like crazy would be:
1) offer some players on the dominant team the opportunity to switch
2) grant anyone that switches x seconds of guaranteed minicrits

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Tf2 needs to introduce maxi-crits

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They don't just not have falloff, they have negative falloff

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

I understand that there'd be technical limitations preventing this from working correctly but it would be cool if one team was steamrolling and the other team was shedding players like crazy would be:
1) offer some players on the dominant team the opportunity to switch
2) grant anyone that switches x seconds of guaranteed minicrits

Would there be technical limitations to prevent it from working correctly? Cuz that seems pretty simple.

Or do you mean technical limitations in terms of accurately gauging if the situation is a steamroll?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It would be pretty easy to take the existing "yo, the round just ended super quick" prompts and instead ask the top player on the winning team if they wanna switch with the worst player on the losing team.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I miss playing Medic, but with every Demo being a Demoknight and every Soldier being a Market Gardener, there isn't much reason to play the class.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

the holy poopacy posted:

Would there be technical limitations to prevent it from working correctly? Cuz that seems pretty simple.

Or do you mean technical limitations in terms of accurately gauging if the situation is a steamroll?

Yeah, I meant more in terms of it assessing what is a steamroll.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sankara posted:

I miss playing Medic, but with every Demo being a Demoknight and every Soldier being a Market Gardener, there isn't much reason to play the class.

Use the quick fix and join them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Keep me topped off when I'm playing hybrid knight and I can put in work.

Hybrid knight is pretty much the only form of the Demonstration Man I'll play, other than sticky jumper. I love being able to stay in fights way past the point where I have any reason to be, then just light out of there when I see something dangerous. Trimping can be fun too but that mostly gets me killed.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I realized recently that the way I want to play pyro and pyro's actual job are extremely different so I've been branching out a bit and I think scout might be more geared towards the "get in there and annoy the hell out of people" playstyle I am looking for. Sucks having so little health though, but I guess that's the price you pay.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!

Thumbtacks posted:

I realized recently that the way I want to play pyro and pyro's actual job are extremely different so I've been branching out a bit and I think scout might be more geared towards the "get in there and annoy the hell out of people" playstyle I am looking for. Sucks having so little health though, but I guess that's the price you pay.

FWIW, I've had a lot of success with Backburner / Thermal Thruster / Back Scratcher for harassing the other team. Make peace with the fact that you're gonna die a lot, and hope that you can take out at least two enemies while doing so. Bonus if you're Blue and the Red respawn timer is way longer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

wait you made cp_steel? drat. good memories playing that one

if you look in the background of cp_steel, there's "travel posters" for visiting the lost continents, and knifeback mountain plastered on the walls in several different areas, they're pretty good sized, uh, proportionally XL movie poster sized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh lol, since I started TF2 post-Steel and came to this thread after the LCs were already fading away, I always assumed the server names were inspired by those posters and not the other way around. That's great.

(I also didn't notice that the posters were only in Steel, I just vaguely knew I'd seen that decoration on "some TF2 maps".)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 31, 2023