Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can you swap a motorcycle front fork and motorcycle rim/tire on an ebike? I have seen people installed motor tires to avoid flats.

No.*

* unless you own a welding machine, in which case it's just a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is it true that motorcycle steerers are just 1”?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

kimbo305 posted:

Is it true that motorcycle steerers are just 1”?

smaller than a bicycle? does that make sense lol? i googled it and it seems to be yes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

smaller than a bicycle? does that make sense lol? i googled it and it seems to be yes.

Obviously with less concern for weight, you can make it strong enough just using thicker tubing.
But you'd think bigger diameter bearings could be stronger / allow better tolerances.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The worst part of being dog sized out of a longtail is she isn't a super huge dog, just 60lbs, which exceeds the front rack load on every mainstream bike.

My ideal cargo bike would have the front rack of the omnium mini where I could put a big dog basket, and the rear rack of a Haul ST or other "Utility" bike where I could put a couple panniers and a milk crate.

At the moment I use a Lectric XP and a trailer, but it's awkward and having to hitch things together and wrangle the trailer makes me not want to use it.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 27, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok wow, the acceleration on the CGO600 Pro is pretty drat impressive. Much faster than the ZX. Caps at 25km/h though, but still.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

REI's got some rock bottom prices on their new small cargo bikes
https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike
https://www.rei.com/product/189967/co-op-cycles-generation-e11-electric-bike

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shouldn’t have opened this thread

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Are these batteries generally interchangeable with ones that look just like it? I have the second battery for my L885 (link here https://flyer.radioflyer.com/flight-speed-extended-range-battery.html) and I'm thinking that having a second bike around might be nice since I have the battery, already.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nah they all have different connectors.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I know those have been discussed in this thread before and my impression was they aren't great but I can't recall any specifics. But at that price...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's a good deal even for a 36v 10AH generic white label Bafang 350w hub bike. You can even pick good looking yellow and blue color. Probably has some warranty too.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I don’t even break a sweat riding the 2.2 miles to work until I get off the bike. It is 96 degrees today and I am a heavy sweater. E-bikes rule.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Barry posted:

I know those have been discussed in this thread before and my impression was they aren't great but I can't recall any specifics. But at that price...

yeah the motor power would be the biggest detriment to most people. if you live in a flat enough urban area that poo poo is just fine. some people also want that class 2 throttle action

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's a good deal even for a 36v 10AH generic white label Bafang 350w hub bike. You can even pick good looking yellow and blue color. Probably has some warranty too.

The 1.2 has the 48v with 14ah as well. I blame Kimbo for me knowing this as I just bought one to share with my wife.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Barry posted:

They are actually pretty great, I really like mine. I use mine in 1st / sometimes 2nd mode and it's plenty of power and makes it feel quite zippy. I do have years of cycling in my legs so perhaps for someone without that it might feel heavy and sluggish? Dunno I don't quite get the criticism of it not being powerful enough.

At that price you really can't go wrong, while you might get better specs on paper from somewhere like Lectric, having a store to take the bike back to is worth it I think. Comes with decent brakes and the 7 speed shimano shifts quite well.

I'm really happy with mine and the colours look rad! Don't pass this sale up if you're on the fence.

paberu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 28, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bennos seem to be on clearance sale 30% off as well wherever you can find them. Very happy with mine after about a year of regular use.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Does anyone here have or have experience with the CYC Photon motor yet? Looking to convert my Bullitt in the next couple months if a new job pans out and this one is at the top of my list.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just ordered the first gen and will pick it up this afternoon. Looking forward to it, the hills here in south san francisco are killers.

edit: what's the right way to lock something like this? the wheels are small so it seems like it'd be a challenge to use a U-lock. Back in Rochester I used a 5' length of proper chain from the hardware store + a hefty master lock, just threaded through both wheels and the frame...

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 29, 2023

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FireTora posted:

Does anyone here have or have experience with the CYC Photon motor yet? Looking to convert my Bullitt in the next couple months if a new job pans out and this one is at the top of my list.

I'm also very interested in the answer to this. My current BBS02 setup is starting to show its age and I'm eyeing the Photon as a replacement.

If you're willing to wade through all the old man complaining and slap fights, there's a big thread on endless sphere about it: https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/cyc-photon.117290/

I skimmed through it the consensus seems to be:
- Solid hardware, good torque sensing system, no louder than a BBSHD. Noise is a major issue with the other CYC kits
- Straightforward install process for this type of DIY kit
- Has issues with continuous high load operation. In this case high load means people running it 100% throttle uphill for long stretches. If you're using it as intended at partial power in torque sensing mode, it seems to do just fine
- Its a gen 1 product, so...
- Mediocre controller and app which mostly seems to be teething issues. Some people have no issues and some are fighting it constantly. Its ES so alot of the controller "issues" are from people who are mad they don't get to look at the source code and can't reflash the firmware on a whim
- CYC is actively working to address the issues as users find them and is being pretty responsive

None of the gen 1 issues surprise me at all, this seems pretty normal for a high performance product from a small company. That combined with the long lead times for delivery (CYC official page says 4-7 weeks to receive it) makes me want to wait a couple more months.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, 1st gen issues are never fun to deal with. No interest in using a throttle, I'd just get a motorcycle/scooter again, gonna be running it torque sensing all the time. There is a Facebook group of people that convert Bullitts that apparently really like the Photon since It is apparently a direct fit with no issues, I guess the BBS kits need to finicking to make work on the Bullitt. But I'm not gonna join Facebook just to read the group though.

There's a chance I might be ordering one in the next month but my original plan is waiting until the winter probably and see how much I might actually need the motor after I get a bunch more riding on it. Would definitely love to see more feedback on it first before going for it though, the few newer YouTube videos I've seen of it make it look pretty great, we just don't have any good reliability data on them yet.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, the Seattle thread strongly suggested Rad Power bikes, as they're very easy to get parts for and get serviced up here. Anything wrong with them?

They've got two models that would support my fat rear end (other than the RadTrike, and while I generally don't give much of a poo poo what people think about me, even I have my limits): the RadRunner 3 Plus and the RadWagon 4. How big of a pain in the rear end would commuting on the RadWagon be? It'd be nice to have for Safeway runs, which is the other primary use I'd have for an e-bike.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just ordered the first gen and will pick it up this afternoon. Looking forward to it, the hills here in south san francisco are killers.

edit: what's the right way to lock something like this? the wheels are small so it seems like it'd be a challenge to use a U-lock. Back in Rochester I used a 5' length of proper chain from the hardware store + a hefty master lock, just threaded through both wheels and the frame...

I feel like something like this would be pretty secure in a similar way to your old solution: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/999492.html

Not sure it would have the length to thread through both wheels though

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

So, the Seattle thread strongly suggested Rad Power bikes, as they're very easy to get parts for and get serviced up here. Anything wrong with them?

The company is not on the stablest footing. Probably still better than other brands you haven't heard of, but they're closing their European operation at year's end
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2023/07/10/rad-power-bikes-will-close-european-operations-end-year

It's probably the fact that they're Seattle based that parts and service are still well attended.
Other people have complainedy they can't get access to the 22" tire some Rads use.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Ham Equity posted:

They've got two models that would support my fat rear end (other than the RadTrike, and while I generally don't give much of a poo poo what people think about me, even I have my limits): the RadRunner 3 Plus and the RadWagon 4. How big of a pain in the rear end would commuting on the RadWagon be? It'd be nice to have for Safeway runs, which is the other primary use I'd have for an e-bike.

the runner 3 is the best bike they have ever made imo. id go with that but its also one of the most expensive. the wagon has its issues especially the dumb tire size.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 30, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hackers film 1995 posted:

the runner 3 is the best bike they have ever made imo. id go with that but its also one of the most expensive. the wagon has its issues especially the dumb tire size.

What's the problem with the tire size?

I don't mind spending a bunch. I'm going to be using it for commuting, and the alternative is a walk-train-walk that takes an hour instead of a forty-five minute bike ride, or buying a car and spending $4,000 a year just for parking at work.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Related to tyre (or tube rather) size; I had a super hard time finding the correct tubes for my Super73 after they decided to stop shipping stuff to most of Europe. Had to go down a size (which made it unbalance and bouncy). I'd say check parts availability for stuff like that before buying an e-bike. Especially if it's a ton a proprietary stuff and a company that might not last.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Ham Equity posted:

What's the problem with the tire size?

I don't mind spending a bunch. I'm going to be using it for commuting, and the alternative is a walk-train-walk that takes an hour instead of a forty-five minute bike ride, or buying a car and spending $4,000 a year just for parking at work.

the tube/tire is 22” which makes it hard to buy replacements for. you would basically be stuck using rad parts. lots of people love their wagons but unless you are hauling kids, id go with the runner 3. it has enough cargo space for groceries.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Is the RadRover 6+ a good deal right now at $1400? I've only been looking semi seriously at ebikes for a few weeks now and don't feel comfortable with my level knowledge to buy anything right now but its on sale.

Tires seem to be available from other mfgs unlike the smaller tire bikes they sell and it meets my minimum requirements of having at least front suspension. Almost every ride I take would start with 1/2 mile of field or the gravel shoulder of a highway then on a gravel bike trail so suspension is important to me. No commuting on it, just a weekend thing and I'd probably pick up their trailer too for hauling the kayak. Good/Bad idea?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah pretty good price for a 48v 12?AH 750w bike.

Keep in mind 26x4 tire is larger in real life than you thought. Fully inflated they are 28x tires. If you are not too tall, get the step over version.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I took the REI bike on a 5 mile donut run this morning. It was great! It's surprisingly easy to hit 20mph, and with these little tires I don't know that I want to go much faster than that. I was still huffing and puffing climbing the hill back to the house but as least I made it up.

It's a compact little thing, so I rolled it into the donut shop and popped it up on the kickstand, which I also really like -- it's an odd little folding center stand that just works great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Given their financial situation I wouldn't get a Rad at any price.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I didn't already have an ebike I absolutely would have bought one of the rei ones at their current sale price

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was still huffing and puffing climbing the hill back to the house but as least I made it up.

A little disappointing that the motor had that little juice. Which gear were you in / what cadence were you at?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Pham Nuwen posted:

I took the REI bike on a 5 mile donut run this morning. It was great! It's surprisingly easy to hit 20mph, and with these little tires I don't know that I want to go much faster than that.

Great to hear that you like it, I just got one as well - somehow the seatpost goes up high enough that it fits much better than a bunch of much more expensive cargo bikes I've test rode. Excited to set it up with some panniers and start tooling around. I guess I'll see how I do on hills on it!

I do think I'll look into a suspension seat post, just since roads aren't great here, but the front suspension was already honestly pretty solid.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

Given their financial situation I wouldn't get a Rad at any price.

Especially given how many proprietary parts they have.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Have also gone in on the REI e-bike, with the 1.1. I figured I’d prefer the front suspension to the front rack all things considered. Especially given that I don’t have kids I think this will also let me do whatever cargo stuff I need and if I really get into it I can always stick on a trailer.

kimbo305 posted:

A little disappointing that the motor had that little juice. Which gear were you in / what cadence were you at?

Was going to say this seems like maybe a gear or assist thing, based on my test ride as a fairly heavy person when you’re in top assist it really sends you. Granted however I wasn’t going up anything crazy steep.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

foutre posted:

I do think I'll look into a suspension seat post, just since roads aren't great here, but the front suspension was already honestly pretty solid.

So caveat that I can't seem to find what the seatpost diameter on the e1.1/1.2 is, but it certainly looks like a 30+mm post.

The Cane Creek eeSilk and Silk+ come in 27.2 and 31.6. If the seattube ends up being 30.9, you'd need to run a shim from 30.9 to 27.2.

This is what I wrote about the eeSilk+ to the private Tern Quick Haul fb group:

quote:

Prior to the Quick Haul, I was towing my kid to and from daycare on a Tern Cargo Node, which uses 24" wheels and 2" tires. In terms of comfort going over bumps, it was a big step up from my first kid-carrying bike, which had 700c x 35mm tires.

I thought the 20 x 2.1" tires on the Quick Haul would be more or less the same in terms of comfort, but I was surprised at how much more I was feeling harshness in bumps [more through the bars than in the saddle, but I wanted compliance in both places]

I've been quite impressed with my Cane Creek eeSilk+. It advertises 30mm of travel, but it doesn't feel like it moves that much. Just that harsh bumps go away. My main concern now is that i run over stuff that no longer bothers me but might jolt my kid sitting right over the rear wheel. It's pricy, but might be the number one accessory I'd recommend for this bike. I have a suspension stem as well, but it doesn't do as much as the seat post manages to.
James Huang is really into this for his Urban Arrow, if his journo cred matters to you.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Oh, awesome, I'm sold, great info. What would a shim look like in this case?

E: I'm at the max insertion depth fwiw, but I'd imagine it's always important to get a solid fit with it anyway vOv

foutre fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

foutre posted:

Oh, awesome, I'm sold, great info. What would a shim look like in this case?

A metal sleeve of appropriately precise dimensions, ideally with a lip so it can’t sink in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202930180368