Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It could all be true but because the person who decided to put it out not only works for a direct competitor but also did their level best to obscure that fact, anything they said or which they published on another's behalf is tainted and cannot be judged independently.

I don't really know what to think either, in that a lot of what they were accused of doing is basic slimy poo poo that generations of creatives have had to deal with from studios and power players for generations, so it definitely has a ring of truth to it, or at least it's all very plausible.

But on the other side, everything in it screams bad faith hit piece. The anonymous quotes especially, which wouldn't be a problem coming from an independent journalist, need to be discarded completely as they have less than zero weight as they come from a direct competitor who tried to feign impartiality.

Pretty much all that did was also make me 10x more skeptical of the motives of the people behind the piece and left my opinions of RQ basically unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much my thoughts exactly yep.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
So Terry Miles has a newish podcast out on audible called Wildflowers about a high schooler investigating the death of their Instagram star friend. No mention of Nick Silver at all which might be a first (can’t recall if he put himself in Faerie or not). It’s pretty much what you’d expect just written from the POV of a sullen, snarky high schooler.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
The fact that original article started out by quoting an average wage for audio creatives in $ and compared it to Rusty Quill's wages in £ made me stop reading after the first section - not converting currencies because the difference looks bigger when you don't do so is tabloid-tier journalism.

(and it says something sad about my life that I looked at the hourly RQ wage and went "Actually that's pretty decent")

Rusty Quill's response was typical corporate-speak, I fully believe whoever wrote that could write a big old NDA for all their staff.

Then the editors of the original piece (but not the secret marketing director for the competitor) wrote a response to the response, which battled the accusations of bias by claiming that trying to write an objective article perpetuates white supremist and oppressive structures... I stopped reading after getting through that claim.

Maybe they were actually incredible pieces of investigative journalism... but I'd rather have at least a veneer of integrity and objectivity if I'm supposed to read that much text.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Sekenr posted:

Tales from the Low City - must listen, calm description of various species and societies who dwell in underground city when the surface is poisoned
I'm caught up on this and I love it so much. Can't wait for the next episode.

This is also fantastic! I'm about halfway through (I've found my way to the Gardens on the Estate). The episodes are about 10 minutes long which is perfect for quick breaks. And I love that it's not all "ooh spooky supernatural" but has plenty of really touching pieces too.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
and instead of mumbling on about podcaster drama let me make a rec

Has anyone listened to This Thing of Darkness? It's a crime drama produced by BBC Scotland about the psychological impact of a murder.

Season 1: a young man is killed in the family home and his father is arrested for his murder, though he maintains his innocence. Three subplots happen here: Alex the forensic psychologist/narrator interviewing the father on behalf of the defence team, a subplot following how the mother and sister of the dead man desperately try/fail to cope with the loss and the false accusation, and Alex's group therapy sessions helping serious criminals come to terms with why they committed their crimes.

Given it's a professional radio show it's fantastically acted/soundscaped, but it's also completely compelling. I whacked it on, intending to listen to the first 15 minutes while doing my dishes, and ended staying up until dawn listening to the entire first season, the murder mystery was that gripping. It's based on the work of real forensic psychologists and it's a bit queasy how well it made me empathise with the criminals even as they admitted the details of their violent crimes.

And that's a content warning: it does involve graphic descriptions of stalking, psychological abuse, and murders by the people who committed them, as well a description of the psychological impact of child sexual abuse in one monologue (though no details of the act itself)

Season 2 is about a woman being released from prison on remand after serving ten years for arson. Another three subplots are going on here: Alex acting in an official capacity as the psychologist assessing how the woman is reintegrating into society, the domestic struggles of the woman's ex-boyfriend, who was badly injured in the arson attack, and Alex's community group therapy session for people with post-injury PTSD. Once again, I binged this season for an entire day straight.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Is it bad I feel a little wistfully sad for what felt like the golden age for audio drama? my podcatcher updated recently and a lot of old stuff I'd listened to apparently was never archived so they got marked as unread, so I spent a lot of my lunch cleaning it up but it led me to be sorting through old audio dramas from like. 2015-2019. and it just kinda struck me how different the scene feels these days compared to back then, and how it feels like there's not as much of a public-facing community anymore. just, stuff like archive 81, bright sessions, dreamboy, ars paradoxica, king falls am, the bridge, return home, station blue, and so on and so on and so on. idk, it just kinda feels like... like the community's a bit more splintered now, and we don't really have as much discussion about audio drama here or on twitter or whatever. even pods like tuned in dialed up aren't a thing anymore. not even getting into podcasts that seem to be abandoned that probably dont have many subs anymore like jisko, lucyd, the infinite now, childish, the glass appeal, the beacon, etc - it feels weird to look at a podcast i never listened to the season 2 of and wonder if i should even bother when the social media hasn't updated since 2019 even though a season 3 was supposedly in production.

i dunno. it feels like something uniquely audio drama/podcast tied because with stuff like video games, most of them are released and thats it, the game exists. webcomics update at such a slow continuous pace that a break or hiatus doesn't really register as much because it's the kind of story you just expect to have gaps like that (and some places like webtoon usually have a bulk of updates pre-prepared specifically to ensure the story finishes), but it feels a lot more common for a lot of audio dramas to just peter out or never return because a lot of them are uploaded as they're made lol.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mix. posted:

Is it bad I feel a little wistfully sad for what felt like the golden age for audio drama? my podcatcher updated recently and a lot of old stuff I'd listened to apparently was never archived so they got marked as unread, so I spent a lot of my lunch cleaning it up but it led me to be sorting through old audio dramas from like. 2015-2019. and it just kinda struck me how different the scene feels these days compared to back then, and how it feels like there's not as much of a public-facing community anymore. just, stuff like archive 81, bright sessions, dreamboy, ars paradoxica, king falls am, the bridge, return home, station blue, and so on and so on and so on. idk, it just kinda feels like... like the community's a bit more splintered now, and we don't really have as much discussion about audio drama here or on twitter or whatever. even pods like tuned in dialed up aren't a thing anymore. not even getting into podcasts that seem to be abandoned that probably dont have many subs anymore like jisko, lucyd, the infinite now, childish, the glass appeal, the beacon, etc - it feels weird to look at a podcast i never listened to the season 2 of and wonder if i should even bother when the social media hasn't updated since 2019 even though a season 3 was supposedly in production.

i dunno. it feels like something uniquely audio drama/podcast tied because with stuff like video games, most of them are released and thats it, the game exists. webcomics update at such a slow continuous pace that a break or hiatus doesn't really register as much because it's the kind of story you just expect to have gaps like that (and some places like webtoon usually have a bulk of updates pre-prepared specifically to ensure the story finishes), but it feels a lot more common for a lot of audio dramas to just peter out or never return because a lot of them are uploaded as they're made lol.

I'm gonna guess lake clarity?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Len posted:

I'm gonna guess lake clarity?

actually it was one called red rhino that i have just remembered actually stopped MID SEASON TWO and has not updated for three years now lmao :psyduck: (edit: apparently the lead creator got hired to write for DC comics like young justice and tim drake so like. grats on the great job but like. maybe an announcement the podcast's done or something? lol)

but oh no lake clarity is one i hadn't started period so thats good to know I guess :v:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I have the same feeling. The way that I've interpreted it is that the audio drama explosion from 2015 to 2019 was a lot of creatives jumping in with passion projects and side hustles and basically trying to figure out how make a living at it as they went.

There was a ton of audience enthusiasm around the medium but it eventually became clear that the economic reality is that unless they could get big enough to tour, they couldn't make enough money on online donations and merch to make it economically viable. So most of those podcasts died away as the projects failed to get that kind of audience and the writers and actors were forced to move on.

COVID hosed up the community real bad and a lot of projects died just because cast and crew couldn't get together physically but I think the reality was also that a lot of projects that were started during that initial flurry of creative activity were flaming out because folks were pouring their heart and soul and time and money into their podcasts and not only not getting back a return but also not seeing a future path to getting back a return.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basically for a few years there there was, to start with, a crowdfunding boom through which small teams could get a little bit of seed money and use it to get a season off the ground (or abscond with it).

That subsided right about the time investment capital firms got it in their heads that there could be substantial returns to be made from throwing real money into podcasts — Gimlet media was at the forefront of that, stacking the aggressively marketed (and very mid) Homecoming with prominent Hollywood character actors. Then Spotify and Audible started getting into it with their own (mid) productions.

If podcasts seem like they’re on the wane, it’s because they are, because like any other streaming media there is in fact a saturation point with major production (and the tacit idea that audio drama specifically could be an incubator / minor league for cross-platform hits died with the TV adaptations of the aforementioned Homecoming and also Archive 81, which people seemed to actually like). Even the true crime rubbernecker pods aren’t quite the phenomenon they used to be.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 8, 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*through barely concealed tears* I suppose there's always actual play dnd podcasts

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mix. posted:

I think besides what's been said:

Some of the most successful indie creators from that time are still very much around, but they've been effectively dispersed by their own success. So Lauren Shippen of the Bright Sessions has worked on the Stranger Things spin-off show, Gabriel Urbina consulted on Spotify's Case 63, Mac Rogers did Quiet Part Loud - you've got some very talented independent artists who've gotten mainstream work off the back of their creations, which is fantastic, but given that this mainstream work has often been huge companies nervously dipping their toes into the water of audiodrama and then hurriedly backing away (and shows that get a huge amount of press at the time but not necessarily a ton of staying power and discussion beyond that), you wonder if the long-term effect is going to be to tie these creators up in cancelled opportunities and dropped season 2s.

When it comes to community, it's an odd situation. I don't think you can firmly declare the medium on the wane (WTNV and Old Gods are doing packed-out national tours; if you want to look online, the big vocal audience share is probably on tumblr these days, where you've got daily Magnus Archive fanart churning out years after the show ended) but it's definitely become more saturated and scattered.

New shows frequently take time to improve, and these days they're competing against the big-budget productions and an increasingly huge backlog of 'classics' alike, so I suspect it's become much harder to try and push through the initial invisibility and build an audience. (And then we end up with more reliance on upfront crowdfunding even from established audiodrama-makers, which has the knock-on effect of encouraging shorter seasons and one-and-done creations like Unseen rather than sustainable productions that can go on for years at a time and really develop a groundswell.)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

codswallop posted:

and instead of mumbling on about podcaster drama let me make a rec

Has anyone listened to This Thing of Darkness? It's a crime drama produced by BBC Scotland about the psychological impact of a murder.

Season 1: a young man is killed in the family home and his father is arrested for his murder, though he maintains his innocence. Three subplots happen here: Alex the forensic psychologist/narrator interviewing the father on behalf of the defence team, a subplot following how the mother and sister of the dead man desperately try/fail to cope with the loss and the false accusation, and Alex's group therapy sessions helping serious criminals come to terms with why they committed their crimes.

Given it's a professional radio show it's fantastically acted/soundscaped, but it's also completely compelling. I whacked it on, intending to listen to the first 15 minutes while doing my dishes, and ended staying up until dawn listening to the entire first season, the murder mystery was that gripping. It's based on the work of real forensic psychologists and it's a bit queasy how well it made me empathise with the criminals even as they admitted the details of their violent crimes.

And that's a content warning: it does involve graphic descriptions of stalking, psychological abuse, and murders by the people who committed them, as well a description of the psychological impact of child sexual abuse in one monologue (though no details of the act itself)

Season 2 is about a woman being released from prison on remand after serving ten years for arson. Another three subplots are going on here: Alex acting in an official capacity as the psychologist assessing how the woman is reintegrating into society, the domestic struggles of the woman's ex-boyfriend, who was badly injured in the arson attack, and Alex's community group therapy session for people with post-injury PTSD. Once again, I binged this season for an entire day straight.

okay yeah i'm about halfway through the first season right now and this is riveting

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

neongrey posted:

okay yeah i'm about halfway through the first season right now and this is riveting

I’d love to hear your opinion once you finish it!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Speak of the devil*

*dying podcast business

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Meanwhile on the indie side the black-owned vampire horror audio drama Afflicted is passing the collection plate around for a second season; they need some help if they’re going to get it.

Apparently there was some deal with a network but were left high and dry. Raw deal.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 13, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just finished a relisten of Wolf 359. I always forget what happens at the end and how disappointing it is. It just didn't feel like it stuck the landing at all

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

I just finished a relisten of Wolf 359. I always forget what happens at the end and how disappointing it is. It just didn't feel like it stuck the landing at all

Completely the opposite opinion here.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

Completely the opposite opinion here.

Yeah, I thought they did a really good job with the end. Not perfect, but I thought they finished a lot stronger than they started.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wolf 359 was ruined when someone pointed out that almost every conflict was:

Tension
Tension increases
More Tension
Two characters laugh at each other
Tension gone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I thought they did a really good job with the end. Not perfect, but I thought they finished a lot stronger than they started.

Oh it for sure ended better than it started, but as soon as the finale ended I remembered that I disliked it the last two times I hit the end. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't work, but something about it doesn't click for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Archive 81 patreon posted an update for the first time in years so I gave them a dollar to see it.

quote:

Hey everyone,

We've had to temporarily pause production on Wavelength due to some factors beyond our control, but we're hoping to resume soon. Stay tuned to this page and our socials for updates.

In the meantime, we've both been hard at work on some of our own independent projects that we'll hopefully be able to share with you at some point as well.

Thanks for your continued support of Dead Signals during this quiet period. We hope to have more for you in the near future!

-Dan and Marc

Not entirely sure why that had to be behind a paywall, but hey it's not a bad time to go through all their stuff again

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i've started listening to an audio drama called woe.begone and man. this is what rabbits should've been

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mix. posted:

i've started listening to an audio drama called woe.begone and man. this is what rabbits should've been

"Rabbits but better" is an insta-listen pitch for me.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

The Archive 81 patreon posted an update for the first time in years so I gave them a dollar to see it.

Not entirely sure why that had to be behind a paywall, but hey it's not a bad time to go through all their stuff again

Thanks for sharing this. I'm so glad to hear that they're still working on that. They had announced that on Twitter a while back but then there wasn't any updates and I figured that the whole Netflix fiasco had killed that as well somehow. As much as I want more Archive 81, I'll settle for anything by that team.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Okay, hold on, why does woe.begone have two different RSS feeds and which one do I want to listen to.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I didn't know there were two feeds to begin with so I couldn't tell you, is there a notable difference between them? :shrug:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
One has 166 episodes. The other has 18 and they're more uh, directly horror with episode descriptions like "lovely podcaster saws his arm off"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Okay, hold on, why does woe.begone have two different RSS feeds and which one do I want to listen to.

If it helps there’s only one in Overcast.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Arrhythmia posted:

One has 166 episodes. The other has 18 and they're more uh, directly horror with episode descriptions like "lovely podcaster saws his arm off"

It's the one with 166.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm working my way through woe.begone. It reminds me a lot of Done Disappeared, which I sorely miss.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mix. posted:

It starts strong but faces the problem of all mystery box things, how to lead the audience on for 166 episodes when you don't know what's going on either. :lost:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Following up on this, they don't have any of their shows ad free for patrons and their patreon exclusive show is two episodes long

Edit: I just have the cheap tier. It's $10 to get the exclusive show

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hughlander posted:

It starts strong but faces the problem of all mystery box things, how to lead the audience on for 166 episodes when you don't know what's going on either. :lost:

Honestly at this point I really enjoy the tv show FROM bc it is an unreconstructed LOST homage that looks you full in the face while it turns the dial up on chaos and bullshit, daring you to complain about any of it. That’s how you do puzzle box right.

Problem with audio drama is that voice and sound design alone cannot sustain that sort of bugfuck pacing. It never goes for pure camp.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Honestly at this point I really enjoy the tv show FROM bc it is an unreconstructed LOST homage that looks you full in the face while it turns the dial up on chaos and bullshit, daring you to complain about any of it. That’s how you do puzzle box right.

Problem with audio drama is that voice and sound design alone cannot sustain that sort of bugfuck pacing. It never goes for pure camp.

I don't think From is going for camp.

The thing I find annoying is how often these serialized podcasts go for romance when its not needed and is completely extraneous even more so than forced romance subplots in other media. There will just a random tangent about somebody making out with their boyfriend/girlfriend but their significant other will never play any role in the plot except maybe to get dramatically killed, but even that is rare. They are just a nothing character.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't think From is going for camp.
That’s the beauty of camp! It is metatextual, it arrives from outside the design of the thing. FROM isn’t trying for camp — if it did, it would fail — it commits way more than it should to something that doesn’t work, and that’s what clicks it into place.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any well-produced audio dramas or other serialized fiction that takes place in a Star Wars kinda world? Space fantasy kinda stuff. I've listened to some that go more hard sci-fi and their worlds just don't hook me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any well-produced audio dramas or other serialized fiction that takes place in a Star Wars kinda world? Space fantasy kinda stuff. I've listened to some that go more hard sci-fi and their worlds just don't hook me.

Eos 10 maybe. Sci-fi medical comedy in a Babylon 5 like space station. Now complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

feedmyleg posted:

There's a bunch of older audio dramas but I don't think there's anything new

[https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_audio_dramas#External_links