Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A24 was a distribution company first and A24 is more about vibes anyway. There's lots of stuff distributed by, say NEON that I think qualifies as A24 horror even though they had nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it doesn't have the A24 ident, but it definitely feels like an A24 horror.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

]

The Thing--take your pick--the defibrillator or the blood test

I am always partial to the blood test. It’s the little shriek the blood makes as it forms into a tiny thing shape, and the fact that it happens while MacReady is midsentence that gives it extra jump scare goodness.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Influencer was...ok.

I expected Madison to survive, but I was also hoping for her to make it to the mainland and get some revenge, and that would be the third act. Not just a mild twist. Didn't hate it, but thought it ended with a bit of a whimper.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bought PG on vhs

https://witterentertainment.com/product/pg-psycho-goreman-vhs/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh my gosh they even cropped it to 4:3

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Phy posted:

Oh my gosh they even cropped it to 4:3

I love making aftermarket VHS tapes for friends and have bought a few and it's a shame how few of them go that extra mile. I know Pan & Scan is an objectively worse way of watching a film but if you're going to make an art project like this you might as well go whole hog with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope they pan and scan lmao

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Talk To Me was great, good god how refreshing it is for a movie to have a trim run time and absolutely stick the landing.

Anyway, Barbenheimer tomorrow to dull the senses.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/nemoasu/status/1684901009511096322?s=20

Awwwww hell yea

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My only problem with that PG VHS is that the art doesn't look 90s at all, it's super contemporary comic book style. Missed opportunity to really go all in on theme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s different ones. I got the one by Adam brooks

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

People have already named all my favorite jump scares, but a more recent one I’d add is that scene in The Night House.

I hadn’t heard about it and I happened to be watching the film with the volume way up, because I’d been having trouble understanding some of the dialogue earlier.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

finally caught up to watching Noroi after it was on my list for years and dang, that movie hosed. Loved the bit at the very end where the kid’s mutilated head looks like the kabutaba mask, but only for a couple frames.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I watched Unfriended last night and it was a blast to watch, just total schlock, not to mention a fun time capsule into the internet of a decade ago. Is the "Dark Web" sequel any good?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember it being a better film, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So while most people wouldn't exactly call it horror, I watched The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover last night and I would say there's enough horror elements in it (especially the last act and finale, holy poo poo) to appeal to this thread. It's a slow burn and deeply tragic but if you want some all-timer sleazebag performances and some gorgeous music and sets and a sharp triumphant ending (and plenty of sex and violence) do yourself a favor and check it out. I feel like if you liked The Menu you'll really like this, and if you're like me and found The Menu to be a little disappointing despite the premise this might scratch the itch.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Space Fish posted:

Talk To Me was great, good god how refreshing it is for a movie to have a trim run time and absolutely stick the landing.

Really loved this one. Cast was up to the task, great sound design, some very disturbing sequences, and hit all the points they aimed for.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

One detail I really loved about Talk To Me that I was worried they were gonna fall into and didn't is that they never uncover the actual origin of the hand. They tell the urban legend version of what they heard, but it's never even established if it's a real hand, let alone if the myth about it is true. Cuz sometimes a little mystery going unanswer is good!

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Shoutout to Dan Aykroyd asking if I wanna see something really scary and absolutely loving up my poo poo as a kid, top tier jump scare.

This and the grotesque rabbit in a hat from the kid story freaked me out so much as a kid. Large Marge from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So while most people wouldn't exactly call it horror, I watched The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover last night and I would say there's enough horror elements in it (especially the last act and finale, holy poo poo) to appeal to this thread. It's a slow burn and deeply tragic but if you want some all-timer sleazebag performances and some gorgeous music and sets and a sharp triumphant ending (and plenty of sex and violence) do yourself a favor and check it out. I feel like if you liked The Menu you'll really like this, and if you're like me and found The Menu to be a little disappointing despite the premise this might scratch the itch.

def an honorary horror movie. incredible film, really want to catch it in a theater (ideally on film) at some point, the colors.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Hard to believe that Saw has 10 movies now and hasn’t had a single one set in outer space

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It has 11. It just doesn’t count one of them because it goes the extra mile to be stupid.

But it makes sense they haven’t gotten to space since it’s still obsessed with the terminally ill guy from the first one.

I hate that I’ll watch the new one eventually just to silence the voice in my head that it’s not complete.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Space station AI learns about Jigsaw and emulates him by rigging up space station traps against the crew to teach them a lesson about, iunno, climate change or some poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

shoeberto posted:

Space station AI learns about Jigsaw and emulates him by rigging up space station traps against the crew to teach them a lesson about, iunno, climate change or some poo poo.

Big reveal at the end that the station is "S.A.W. Station", Hoffman is the captain, and it all took place around saw 4 or 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What are the best horror movies that went to space that are not Jason X

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Now we're talking, space horror is great.

Event Horizon
Sunshine
Europa Report

Oh you mean series that ended up in space? Oh.

Uh Leprechaun I guess. I remember thinking Hellraiser in space was better than it should've been, but that was like 20 years ago

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What are the best horror movies that went to space that are not Jason X

Hellraiser: Bloodline is sick as hell, I don't care what anyone says

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I need a quick opinion, horror thread. Does this look better with the blood or without? I always like to add blood to these but I feel like I go to that well too often.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Deadite posted:

I need a quick opinion, horror thread. Does this look better with the blood or without? I always like to add blood to these but I feel like I go to that well too often.

In general definitely the top one with the blood. But I can see why you’d ask that because I’m not 100% happy with how that specific blood works.

Is this still planning and you can mess with it? A revamp on the bloody bit might make it perfect.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Xiahou Dun posted:

In general definitely the top one with the blood. But I can see why you’d ask that because I’m not 100% happy with how that specific blood works.

Is this still planning and you can mess with it? A revamp on the bloody bit might make it perfect.

This is just the blueprint so anything can change. I agree about the blood, it should be more splattered or something since it’s a chainsaw.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deadite posted:

This is just the blueprint so anything can change. I agree about the blood, it should be more splattered or something since it’s a chainsaw.

I think the teeth disappearing when the blood starts jumps out a bit, but I like the concept!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Deadite posted:

the blood. the blood!

this is sick, is it gonna be a neon sign or something

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The best jumpscares are when you hear at least one person yell "OH! gently caress OFF!" in the theatre because it means that they know that the jumpscare got them and they are embarrassed. I think that happened in a theatre that I went to but can't remember the movie. It may have even been something I was watching with my brother, I can't recall. Just that it's funny when it happens.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Medullah posted:

I think the teeth disappearing when the blood starts jumps out a bit, but I like the concept!

I was hoping I could use the blood to get away with removing 5 of the teeth because each one is extra work. One long piece of blood is easier than five small teeth. I agree it does look odd though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah. I think the missing teeth in the bloody one give it a kind of uncanny look. The bloody part ends up not looking like part of the blade and makes the whole image look a bit weird and not as instantly identifiable as the bloodless one. I suspect a version that looked like one single blade in size with all the teeth but bloody would be the winner. But of the two that exist I'd pick the bloodless one.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the blood. the blood!

this is sick, is it gonna be a neon sign or something

Fake neon, it’s made from LED lights but looks close enough for what I want. Here’s the barbenheimer sign I made last weekend, it’s almost as good as real neon but it doesn’t have that back glow from the round tube.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. I think the missing teeth in the bloody one give it a kind of uncanny look. The bloody part ends up not looking like part of the blade and makes the whole image look a bit weird and not as instantly identifiable as the bloodless one. I suspect a version that looked like one single blade in size with all the teeth but bloody would be the winner. But of the two that exist I'd pick the bloodless one.

Yeah could you (not you, STAC Goat, I’m building off you) mostly keep the blade and tooth shape but the end is red and with some drippy bits?

Right now like I get it, but it looks a little like you just dipped it in a big blob of jam instead of it being a bloody chainsaw.

Great instincts on the blood though. This is just workshopping specifics of the blood.

I kind of want one, but neon does not work with any parts of my esthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If its possible, my suggestion is to make the blood drops flick on and off.