Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carthag Tuek posted:

dwarves are just little people, theyre fine. its the finns who do weird troll magic
Oh, so that's what people mean when they think 3D Megadoodoo is trolling when he is just earnestly finnposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zedprime posted:

Oh, so that's what people mean when they think 3D Megadoodoo is trolling when he is just earnestly finnposting.

akkurat

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

zedprime posted:

Excessive Finnish cultural expression. User loses posting privileges for 1 week. Requested by: Governor-General Franz Albert Seyn. Approved by: Nikolai II Alexandrovich Romanov

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

canyoneer posted:

me and my friends would have killed gandalf with hammers I can tell you that much

Gandalf is an angel and no mortal man could possibly come close to killing him, with hammers or otherwise.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

Gandalf is an angel and no mortal man could possibly come close to killing him, with hammers or otherwise.

So was Saruman and he was murdered by Wormtongue

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His spirit survives and sort of fucks off being unable to return to valinor.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

thetoughestbean posted:

So was Saruman and he was murdered by Wormtongue

He gave up his sacred charge and lost the favor of God, and the Valar.

Wormtongue was able to murder Saruman only after he had been corrupted, defeated, had his staff broken by Gandalf, and then further lowered himself to go attack the Shire. That happened after the Ring was destroyed and Sauron had lost.

Saruman through his own actions gave up all his divine powers, and after he was killed Manwe sent a wind to deny his spirit from ever returning to Valinor. It's a tragedy really, one of many in Tolkien's writings.

*it was effectively suicide

doverhog has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Jul 29, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

verbal enema posted:

Oh DM not DOM my bad whoopsie

To be fair Dungeon Master can be ambiguous at the best of times.

thetoughestbean posted:

Wasn’t All The King’s Men based on the career of Huey Long?

He wasn’t a fascist per se (he kinda defies modern political labels) but definitely was an authoritarian willing to illegally use the force of the state to get his way

Not to get too much into the weeds but that can be a pretty decorum-poisoned way of putting 'actually willing to do things to help people', which is increasingly what 'authoritarian' gets used to mean.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not to get too much into the weeds but that can be a pretty decorum-poisoned way of putting 'actually willing to do things to help people', which is increasingly what 'authoritarian' gets used to mean.

Long had his bodyguards kidnap a man! He almost certainly committed election fraud!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Long had his bodyguards kidnap a man! He almost certainly committed election fraud!

King poo poo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Biplane posted:

King poo poo

Yes that’s the problem

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

He almost certainly committed election fraud!

The same applies to JFK. You gotta play the game, friend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What do you think police are even for?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair Dungeon Master can be ambiguous at the best of times.

this is why theres no english word meaning "risible; crazy guy; odd snail"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
LBJ blatantly cheated in the 1948 Senate primary, but because it’s a primary, nothing about it was illegal.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

LBJ blatantly cheated in the 1948 Senate primary, but because it’s a primary, nothing about it was illegal.

well also because it was politics. thats the greek word for "cheating is okay" or "its not cheating" (sources differ)

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah lot of battle scenes on the Hammar stones but no hangings that i can see

the top/bottom equals man/woman thing was the greeks & romans tho? there was tons of machismo, slavery, and rape in ancient scandinavia but making stuff up is counterproductive. im not trying to whitewash, i just prefer that its actually in the text or at least subtext

fwiw there are multiple examples of afab people being buried as "warrior kings" (ie swords, horse stuff, boats) and theres in i think norway (something -haug, google is worthless now) a burial of an xxy chromosome person who was clearly of high stature. so at least in the upper classes, having whatever biological sex wasnt necessarily your fate

also :actually: gandalf was a dwarf in norse mythology, tolkien got a lot of names and stuff from there and elsewhere

There is`nt necessarily a contradiction between hyper-violent machismo and accepting women leaders or even non-binary leaders.
On the other hand they would probably not follow a straigth cis-man if he tried to stop his warriors from raping and killing women and children after a battle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Societies are complicated and prejudice very often allows for individual exceptions as long as they are useful. People in the past weren't robots programmed by social attitutes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baudolino posted:

There is`nt necessarily a contradiction between hyper-violent machismo and accepting women leaders or even non-binary leaders.
On the other hand they would probably not follow a straigth cis-man if he tried to stop his warriors from raping and killing women and children after a battle.

true. i was just trying to say that you cant map their norms one-to-one to ours. both are poo poo, in overlapping ways

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rappaport posted:

The same applies to JFK. You gotta play the game, friend.

Yes and that was bad too. But Long kidnapped a guy.

He remade Louisiana into his own personal fiefdom, giving himself the power to call in the National Guard for any reason. He would reward sycophants and would go out of his way to destroy any critics. His response after an assassination plot was uncovered was to make criticizing him illegal! That’s the action of a demagogue.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So we all agree Huey Long was cool

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

thetoughestbean posted:

Yes and that was bad too. But Long kidnapped a guy.

He remade Louisiana into his own personal fiefdom, giving himself the power to call in the National Guard for any reason. He would reward sycophants and would go out of his way to destroy any critics. His response after an assassination plot was uncovered was to make criticizing him illegal! That’s the action of a demagogue.

Everybody wanna be a leftist till it's time to do leftist poo poo smh

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
The Marxist-Blanquist-Boulangerist-Longist faction has logged on

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

iwentdoodie posted:

Everybody wanna be a leftist till it's time to do leftist poo poo smh

I really don’t think wrapping the institutions of the state around your specific personality is particularly leftist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeffrey hasn’t updated the rules with the true definition yet, so it’s pretty much open season

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The Kingfish ends up feeling weird politically because he is one of the very rare examples of an authoritarian populist who actually did make things better for the people under him and wasn't using the rhetoric just to enrich himself or start killing minorities.

And yeah, I hate that Kaiserreich lumps him in with Big Business and the loving Klan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baudolino posted:

It should also be said being rich and powerful will make you an exception to the rules a lot of times.

Like the emperor Hardrian was openly gay and people didn’t like it but ultimately what are you gonna do about it

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

Oh please, they would definitely follow a straight cis-man trying to stop them from raping and killing women and children after a battle. They would follow because the guy most likely still has the command of a bigger bunch of their warrior friends; friends that really do not want their dumb rampaging friends to destroy the most precious loot for the warband!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Huey Long is such a morally grey figure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

The ancient Norse warrior elite did not have any concept of "homosexuality", much of what we consider gay is stuff they would disapprove of, but to them it would be "argr", which is betraying the Bro Code by letting oneself be penetrated--so tops are OK, war rape of dudes is badass, but bottoms are reprehensible and equivalent to wizards, who are also unmanly and evil.

Gandalf? They would have murdered the gently caress out of Gandalf.

We don't really know what concept the ancient norse warrior elite had about homosexuality. Aside from a few rune stones we don't have any contemporary written records. Anything we know about that period is based on archaeology and texts written several centuries after the viking age ended.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Alf in Gandalf is "álfr" or elf in the original text because to the Norse Elf probably meant something more akin to minor diety or powerful supernatural being instead of being a separate race as we would understand it today.

Due to this there are some dwarves who are elves and also some venerated ancestors who are elves and so on and so forth.

Troll works similarly but was usually used to describe malignant supernatural powers like wizards, ghosts, and monsters. Like with elves it didn't become a word for one specific type of creature until the 18th century when people got really into categorization and Trolls became just giants/ogres. In the Scandinavian languages this older still survives as magic is Trolldom and a wizard is a trollmand. Which is why in Nordic translations of Lord of the Rings Gand-Elf is a Troll-Man.

The wand in Gandalf means "wand" or "staff". Gandalf was a mythological dwarf, but wand-elves are also a type of being in Beowulf. It's interesting to read Beowulf and see references to orcs and to Middle Earth. Tolkien was a huge fan.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was the foremost scholar on it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zudgemud posted:

Oh please, they would definitely follow a straight cis-man trying to stop them from raping and killing women and children after a battle. They would follow because the guy most likely still has the command of a bigger bunch of their warrior friends; friends that really do not want their dumb rampaging friends to destroy the most precious loot for the warband!

I mean trying to do that is how the usurper Emperor Postumus died.

And the city they wanted to sack was his capital

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Platystemon posted:

Huey Long is such a morally grey figure.

Long wasn’t opposed to the Nazis though. He was an isolationist who opposed foreign intervention. He didn’t approve of them, but he wouldn’t have taken actions against them

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean trying to do that is how the usurper Emperor Postumus died.

And the city they wanted to sack was his capital

Yes, and his warriors would have let him live if he had simply offered them the citizens of his capital as slaves, just as a fair slaver lord would. :colbert:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Don't liken me to that son of a bitch Hitler. Anybody that lets his public policies be mixed up with religious prejudice is a plain goddamn fool.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

We don't really know what concept the ancient norse warrior elite had about homosexuality. Aside from a few rune stones we don't have any contemporary written records. Anything we know about that period is based on archaeology and texts written several centuries after the viking age ended.

Amusingly enough, we do know their opinion on white nationalism/racism. Or at least we can infer that they didn't care for it since they were perfectly fine with raiding the British Isles for slaves to be sold to the Caliphate. In fact, this venture was so profitable and so much more sustainable than regular plundering that different Viking groups fought each other over who would get to raid for slaves in parts of Ireland several times. IIRC, Dublin was actually founded as a viking slave market.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean that’s most people. A white identity is rather new all things considered.

You were identified by where you came from (or your family at large) by basically all groups for most of history

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah it one hundred percent has nothing to do with nationalism, whiteness or race. Slaves were just a thing that was viked along with like cookware, good metal and livestock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Whiteness is an early modern invention created to justify slavery and colonialism and would be entirely alien to anyone before that.