Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Struensee posted:

Sounds like a pain in the rear end, useless "look, we're doing all we can" bullshit

On the other hand, maybe it could cause some soccer dad to think about how he's acting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Homeless Friend posted:

person letting your kid out of daycare: runnnnnn, gooooooooo.... get to the papaaa

Lol

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
lol sure

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sullat posted:

Sounds like someone is learning that their actions have consequences

lol

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Struensee posted:

Sounds like a pain in the rear end, useless "look, we're doing all we can" bullshit

It was better than I expected, you learn how they work and how to spot abusers etc. Although I already knew a lot of the "surprising" statistics.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
kid went to bed an hour late last night... and slept in an hour too :kiss:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

holy poo poo

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
We're transitioning kid 2 out of the crib and haven't had a good stretch of sleep in a week. I think we're getting over the hump tho.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

rare moment

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Oh yeah, did you tell your Canadian girlfriend about it too?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
they're melting down pretty hard right now so you win some you lose some

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

they're melting down pretty hard right now so you win some you lose some

Tell them "mad?" for me.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

AxGrap posted:

Tell them "mad?" for me.

good plan I'll try it out

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter is currently loopier than I have ever seen her and we're wondering whether she's been sneaking awake time at night since she started insisting on having her light on all night

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

loquacius posted:

My daughter is currently loopier than I have ever seen her and we're wondering whether she's been sneaking awake time at night since she started insisting on having her light on all night

lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm actually flabbergasted now

At bedtime (early bedtime bc she's a mess) she said, with no coaching whatsoever, "if my light is on maybe I won't sleep so turn the light off." I guess we were talking about it in front of her enough that she took it in??? Anyway I expect to be awoken in the middle of the night by a screaming toddler because her room is too dark

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We compromised by leaving her closet light on with the doors closed

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
We put string lights in his bunk bed for a space theme and now he can't sleep without them on. We played ourselves.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
glow in the dark stars and stuff are cool for that reason, even if I do have to use a fancy flashlight to glow them up each night at bedtime

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

loquacius posted:

I'm actually flabbergasted now

At bedtime (early bedtime bc she's a mess) she said, with no coaching whatsoever, "if my light is on maybe I won't sleep so turn the light off." I guess we were talking about it in front of her enough that she took it in??? Anyway I expect to be awoken in the middle of the night by a screaming toddler because her room is too dark

My son loves the word maybe in this same way.

"Are you going to eat your vegetables"
"Maybe I am"

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

glow in the dark stars and stuff are cool for that reason, even if I do have to use a fancy flashlight to glow them up each night at bedtime

Lasers on glow in the dark paint is incredible, maybe not for bedtime but I have to share that info

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

We compromised by leaving her closet light on with the doors closed

I put a pink bulb in the bedside lamp and we leave that on all night as a compromise.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
youre all absolutely hosed if you ever go to a hotel or grandmas house or whatever though, unless you bring The Equipment

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Hero Quest is kind of too-basic-for-its-own-good but it's such a perfect tool kit for any version of d&d rules you want to play with for young kids.

my kid and his cousin have been playing out their own campaign for like 8 hours now. sometimes I drop in and give input but they're basically autonomous right now and it's amazing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Hero Quest is kind of too-basic-for-its-own-good but it's such a perfect tool kit for any version of d&d rules you want to play with for young kids.

my kid and his cousin have been playing out their own campaign for like 8 hours now. sometimes I drop in and give input but they're basically autonomous right now and it's amazing.

I need to try it again now that my kid is nearing 7. it’s basic enough imo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fosborb posted:

youre all absolutely hosed if you ever go to a hotel or grandmas house or whatever though, unless you bring The Equipment

Grandma has a closet, hotels have bathrooms you can leave slightly ajar

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Winning: Kid slept for most of her first two flights. No crying at all, either her or us.

Losing: Having her sleep in our rooms at both grandparents' house has basically prompted a regression where she's waking up 3-4 times a night and won't go back to sleep unless you feed her, even though she's not really hungry.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fosborb posted:

We've been in a pandemic for 3 years so it hasn't come up. Lucky break.

Edit: The kids have little dinosaur lights or something that are ungodly bright and do the job when camping.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Going to the park to gather sticks and coming back to use them to cook lunch. Easy 2 1/2 project if you stretch it out.

Def becoming one of my fave kid activities

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

Grandma has a closet, hotels have bathrooms you can leave slightly ajar

just some night light is lucky!

we're friends with a family whose kid needs this mechanical fishtank thing that lights up and moves and plays music and chews through like 6 C cell batteries a week, and they have to lug that thing around wherever they go. just a nightmare

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

we use a Hue Go and it’s pretty cool, although pricy, for a nightlight. but when she grows out of it we can use it for something else since we have other hue bulbs.

another option are those bulbs that remove blue light. we used them when ours was a baby and if it was like 3am for feeding or what we we wouldn’t be blinded.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter's trolling prowess grows. she's interested in feeding babies right now, usually baby dolls at the playgroup centre, but now she'll find kids 1-2 years older than her, and try giving them a baby bottle and just keep saying "baby! milk!" when they refuse or insist they aren't a baby.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dreylad posted:

my daughter's trolling prowess grows. she's interested in feeding babies right now, usually baby dolls at the playgroup centre, but now she'll find kids 1-2 years older than her, and try giving them a baby bottle and just keep saying "baby! milk!" when they refuse or insist they aren't a baby.

buy her an account

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

fosborb posted:

just some night light is lucky!

we're friends with a family whose kid needs this mechanical fishtank thing that lights up and moves and plays music and chews through like 6 C cell batteries a week, and they have to lug that thing around wherever they go. just a nightmare

Lmao someone bought that for us and my baby hates it. its way too bright and loud. Blue light was a dumbass idea for a nightlight too

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 4yo has begun contemplating his own death

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Armacham posted:

Lmao someone bought that for us and my baby hates it. its way too bright and loud. Blue light was a dumbass idea for a nightlight too

as soon as it turns off, your baby will be plunged into absolute silent darkness with no night vision at all and only the ghostly after images of fish to keep them company

that's why we put this big button on it so they can start it again immediately, every 20 minutes, until they're in kindergarten

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol it comes with a remote control now

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is currently obsessed with the concept of yardwork. we got him a toy lawn mower a while ago and it has recently become his new favorite toy, he makes me push it around the house while he walks behind me with a toy he's decided is a leafblower, making vrooming and woshing noises. a related game he likes to play is to make me and my wife pretend to be sleeping so he can wake us up with loud mowing or leaf blowing. glad hes having fun.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
remembering when our youngest was really into yardwork and got her older brother across the face with a metal rake, a week before school pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Weeding, while a mostly pointless endeavour in general, is great for kids. In the right mood, you can get an hour of fun at a time just picking up stuff from the yard.