Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i think the smart thing for the cubs to do objectively is to accept they are absolutely not making the playoffs this year and sell, but as a person who watches or listens to all or part of like 85% of cubs games i will chain myself to wrigley field if they break up this extremely mediocre team with perfect vibes and like a 10% chance of making the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I learned from today's Baseball Bits that in Sean Doolittle's first career save, the 4 batters he faced combined for 1,784 career home runs between them. (ARod, Cano, Teixeira, Andruw Jones). He gave up a single to ARod and struck out the next three. :stare:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

i think the smart thing for the cubs to do objectively is to accept they are absolutely not making the playoffs this year and sell, but as a person who watches or listens to all or part of like 85% of cubs games i will chain myself to wrigley field if they break up this extremely mediocre team with perfect vibes and like a 10% chance of making the playoffs.

As a non-Cubs fan, I think they actually have a really good chance. They're only 3.5 games out, have the second best xW-L in the Wild Card race (behind the Padres, who are only technically in it) and I think you can only really feel confident about the Phillies among teams ahead of them. So cheer up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

There's no chance it's the Astros if it's an offer they can't refuse, the Astros cupboard is bare

Plus Crane wasn't willing to pay JV when all it would cost is money

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

There's no chance it's the Astros if it's an offer they can't refuse, the Astros cupboard is bare

Plus Crane wasn't willing to pay JV when all it would cost is money

yeah, either the Mets would eat a ton of his contract in which case they'd want a haul that doesn't exist
or the Astros would eat a ton of it in which case they would have just paid him in the offseason

so..... :confused:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
As a Cubs fan who absolutely despises this roster, but thinks they have a decent shot of sneaking in considering how dogshit the rest of the division is and the expanded playoffs, I'm pretty much guaranteed to not like whatever happens the rest of the way. Cool catch last night, though.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Verlander feels like a lock to the Rangers. They need a SP, they have a multi-year window, and they have the prospects.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Verlander feels like a lock to the Rangers. They need a SP, they have a multi-year window, and they have the prospects.

Wrong ex-Tiger ace.

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1685393606578757632

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the Mets can get out of that Scherzer contract they should loving rejoice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

As a Cubs fan who absolutely despises this roster, but thinks they have a decent shot of sneaking in considering how dogshit the rest of the division is and the expanded playoffs, I'm pretty much guaranteed to not like whatever happens the rest of the way. Cool catch last night, though.

Enjoy the ride my fellow poster.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
MLB Network straight up saying "Rangers acquire Scherzer."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I know it's just a typo but I'm laughing at "wavies"

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1685403077078093825

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
let's go mets!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Bye Max.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yikes Angels' Taylor Ward carted off field after taking a pitch to the head. That’s scary.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

RIP Mets, Cardinals and White Sox 2023 seasons. You tried and you failed. The point is to never try.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yikes Angels' Taylor Ward carted off field after taking a pitch to the head. That’s scary.

I'm so tired of this franchise being snake-bit

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Angels very likely dropping their 2nd straight to the Jays. Here's the status of their starting position players

Taylor Ward - caught a Manoah fastball to the face, out indefinitely
Mike Trout - swung so hard he broke his wrist
Shohei Ohtani - healthy?
Anthony Rendon - lol
Hunter Renfroe - healthy
Zach Neto - day to day with a back strain
Brandon Drury - freakish injury on a diving stop, hasn't played in a month
Gio Urshela - broke his hip falling down, out for the season
Logan O'Hoppe - swung so hard he tore his shoulder, maybe back in September

That's 112 OPS+ on the IL.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 29, 2023

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Max and Verlander are 4th slot starters at best. absolutely insane for these teams to be bailing the Mets out like this

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gorman Thomas posted:

Angels very likely dropping their 2nd straight to the Jays. Here's the status of their starting position players

Taylor Ward - caught a Manoah fastball to the face, out indefinitely
Mike Trout - swung so hard he broke his wrist
Shohei Ohtani - healthy?
Anthony Rendon - lol
Hunter Renfroe - healthy
Zach Neto - day to day with a back strain
Brandon Drury - freakish injury on a diving stop, hasn't played in a month
Gio Urshela - broke his hip falling down, out for the season
Logan O'Hoppe - swung so hard he tore his shoulder, maybe back in September

where the gently caress is Anthony Rendon? I've been told he's been on the team these last couple seasons but you could have loving fooled me

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

^^^^Rendon is Ozzie Smith

Literally the Springfield power plant softball team with Ohtani playing the role of Strawberry

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MrMidnight posted:

Literally the Springfield power plant softball team with Ohtani playing the role of Strawberry

and people wanted to trade him because.....what? what the gently caress are you going to do to make that whole thing better?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Scherzer really uno reversed right off the Mets lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MrMidnight posted:

Phil Nevin wishes he had the charisma & morality of Mr. Burns.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1685412895566319617

I would have thought they had all the other stuff worked out before asking him if he'd go but if he's said yes it's probably going to get done

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MrMidnight posted:

Okay I had to check this because I needed to know

Rendon has made $75M over the 2022 and 2023 seasons. In that time he's played 90 games and batted .232 with 7 HR.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mdemone posted:

Okay I had to check this because I needed to know

Rendon has made $75M over the 2022 and 2023 seasons. In that time he's played 90 games and batted .232 with 7 HR.

Now look at Strasburgs deal with the Nationals and how much he has pitched

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

Max and Verlander are 4th slot starters at best. absolutely insane for these teams to be bailing the Mets out like this

Verlander's been extremely good since the start of June

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How did the Rangers' FO build a good team? They are clearly incredible morons.....

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

How did the Rangers' FO build a good team? They are clearly incredible morons.....

I feel like half their team is high dollar free agents that mostly worked out

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nodoze posted:

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1685412895566319617

I would have thought they had all the other stuff worked out before asking him if he'd go but if he's said yes it's probably going to get done

Probably talking to Scherzer about his option for next year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I feel like Max going to Arlington should make JV to Houston more likely but what the hell do we even have to offer the Mets?

Myers? Whitley? The farm is completely empty.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Now look at Strasburgs deal with the Nationals and how much he has pitched

high level money stealers

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel like Max going to Arlington should make JV to Houston more likely but what the hell do we even have to offer the Mets?

Myers? Whitley? The farm is completely empty.

No idea but apparently the Reds are involved (part of 3 team trade) as well. It can't be that serious though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/cespedesbbq/status/1685406154510233600?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Guess this means they told Max: "We are full blown rebuild mode baby"

https://twitter.com/SteveGelbs/status/1685113656567029761?s=20

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Verlander to Houston is strange because if both sides want that, why'd he leave in the first place?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Verlander left Houston because of money/years.

Presumably if the Mets are trading him Cohen’s footing a big part of the remaining balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Verlander to Houston is strange because if both sides want that, why'd he leave in the first place?

The only argument could have been that the Astros FO didn't think he would be worth it since we had seemingly good (if not great) starting options coming into 2023.

But then LMJ, Urquidy, and Garcia are all on the 60-day IL now with no planned return for any of them that I'm aware of, leaving only Framber, Javier, and Hunter Brown. France is a good enough 4th starter but Bielak/Blanco is not great. And Javier and Brown have not been super great either.