Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Crawford TKO 10-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Spence Crawford baby!! Let’s go!!!!!!!!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Is anyone planning a big fancy OP for this fight or should I just honor this request

Mr. F! posted:

This is the Spence Crawford thread now. Mods please change the name.

from the Davis vs Garcia thread?

Or I guess a small not-fancy OP would do too. I dunno, just feels weird mixing the stuff from months apart.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm at the arena so it won't be me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah let’s reuse that old thread, waste not want not

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm at the arena so it won't be me

I’m also at the arena :)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh I dunno if I can post threads from the awful app either.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038129

Made a thread!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Oh I dunno if I can post threads from the awful app either.

pm the text to me and i'll post it

brut got it, pm him the OP and he'll edit it in

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Yeah I can edit one in whenever if someone ends up producing an effortpost

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Marching Powder posted:

just caught up. if bud blows spence out i'll hear an argument for him since he's also come up in weight but whoever said inoue is manny pacquiao now pretty much summed it up for me.

inoue is easily the scariest dude in boxing.

I will hear arguments

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Marching Powder posted:

I will hear arguments

bud's pretty good ngl

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The SituAsian posted:

He's the easy pound for pound number 1 no matter what happens on Saturday between Crawford and Spence

I was wrong. I think it's a 1a, 1b type situation, but that type of total domination of Spence makes Crawford 1a and Inoue 1b for now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

I will hear arguments

kimbo305 posted:

What was the last time Crawford fought a southpaw? He looked like he does it all the time.
For that matter, when was the last high profile southpaw fight?

I can't remember an all southpaw fight where the positioning and capitalizing on that positioning was as great as what Crawford did.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MF_DAZNXSeries/status/1685696761141334016?s=20

Boxing will not let great fights get in the way of being boxing

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
154 is pretty wide open with Jermell moving up to 168, if the Crawford/Spence rematch has to happen, hopefully it’s at 154.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm more interested in a Crawford-Ennis match at 147 to be honest. After last night I think Crawford handles business there.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm more interested in a Crawford-Ennis match at 147 to be honest. After last night I think Crawford handles business there.

Agreed but I’d be shocked if Crawford/Ennis is next.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cigar Aficionado posted:

154 is pretty wide open with Jermell moving up to 168, if the Crawford/Spence rematch has to happen, hopefully it’s at 154.

why would bud do this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Much bigger payday?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I can't remember an all southpaw fight where the positioning and capitalizing on that positioning was as great as what Crawford did.

Using these as a source of all-southpaw fights:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/4h1w1r/best_southpaw_vs_southpaw_fight/
https://boxing-social.com/features/memorable-southpaw-vs-southpaw-battles/

I looked at:
- Loma vs Russell Jr
- Hagler vs Minter
- Martinez vs Williams 1
- Judah vs Spinks 1
- Whitaker vs Ramirez 1
- Lara vs Trout

There was a variety of adjustment for fighting another southpaw on display.
I noticed that footwork tended to be done the same way as fighting against orthodox -- circling to the right into the power hand. Really hard to override those habits.

Sweet Pea actually fully committed to this, though his distancing was on point and kept him out of trouble.
Loma was the most disciplined about circling to the left and did pretty solid slipping and weaving out of it, but looked much more average with the fluidity and positioning of his combos. He was dominating toward the end and looked like a brawler with how he was landing hooks.

Judah had some flashes of tactical brilliance in there, and to be fair that's what I'd say about most of his fights, but didn't look particularly at home fighting a southpaw.

I'd say Hagler had the most complete looking game against a southpaw. He did still circle to the right but was great at slipping the jab and was very balanced (left/right) on defense and attack. He was the most fluid in the pocket in getting out of trouble or moving in to land punches.

This cursory look bolsters what I was thinking, which is that Crawford vs Spence was one of the best displays of skill in conventional boxing tactics in a southpaw vs southpaw fight. In a sport where you spend a majority of your rounds working a southpaw gameplan and tactical set, Crawford looked absolutely brilliant in conventional positioning and punch combos, where I would expect him to have spent far less time working in the gym.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

why would bud do this?

He wants to move up also.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

KidDynamite posted:

why would bud do this?

Bud wants to move up, also it would be exceedingly difficult to sell the rematch at 147, and I’d honestly be surprised if Spence could even make 147 properly anymore. He clearly wasn’t able to do so for the first fight, which is a big reason to why he looked so bad physically in there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Dillian Whyte pissed hot and is out of the AJ fight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/66416584

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Fucks sake

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i hope something good happens at heavyweight soon but honestly i've seen some really sick boxing recently so i'm struggling to find the self respect required to be disappointed.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

i hope something good happens at heavyweight soon but honestly i've seen some really sick boxing recently so i'm struggling to find the self respect required to be disappointed.

Of all the fights left for the rest of the year, this is the one that I care the least about. So it getting cancelled isn’t the end of the world

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Allegedly they’re tip toeing around because there’s a Wilder-Joshua fight in the works for December which has kind of killed the momentum for all involved

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Allegedly they’re tip toeing around because there’s a Wilder-Joshua fight in the works for December which has kind of killed the momentum for all involved

God drat it. I need wilder back in the ring. He’s going to finally get his body when he murders Anthony Joshua in the ring.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Five biggest fights that can be made in boxing now IMO:

1. Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk
2. Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua
3. Dmitry Bivol vs Artur Beterbiev
4. Canelo Alvarez vs David Benavidez (or Demetrius Andrade if he fights and beats Benavidez)
5. Gervonta Davis vs Shakur Stevenson

HON: Teofimo Lopez vs Devin Haney/Regis Prograis winner (assuming this is really happening)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Robert Helenius steps in to fight Anthony Joshua

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2023/0808/1398676-veteran-helenius-steps-in-to-fight-joshua/

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Any chance AJ loses?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Quizzlefish posted:

Any chance AJ loses?

1 in 150 probably

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

Any chance AJ loses?

I mean there's always a chance, but imo he doesn't lose to Helenius. Helenius is pretty basic, which is good fodder for a guy like AJ who is also kind of basic but much better.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
AJ has also been in ultra-safe fighting mode for years now, he’ll take a wide decision in an incredibly boring fight and afterwards claim that he was going for the KO, no really

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the jab will get to helenius

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1690496110354173953?s=20

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think this guy could very well be my least favourite fighter of all time. He makes a meal out of every fight he's in, his under-confidence and timidity sap any entertainment value or sense of investment I might have.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Not impressive obviously but it gets the job done. It's now or never for the Wilder fight so might as well.

EDIT:

Marching Powder posted:

youtube just recommended me this video and i really like this dude. he's an olympic silver medallist and seems to be a seriously complete fighter. mostly tho, i like him on the mic. he's got a really powerful charisma. i don't know. i just really like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVQ4K5lCu2c

Keyshawn Davis is fighting at 135 right now and is signed to Top Rank. Me, Mr. F! and ninthlayer caught him about a year and half ago when Shakur Stevenson beat Oscar Valdez when he throughly crushed his opponent and he's been looking great ever since. Lightweight is stacked and he's on the right side of the promotional divides so he'll probably get a decent shot sooner rather than later.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wilder will loving kill him and i'd pay to see it.

youtube just recommended me this video and i really like this dude. he's an olympic silver medallist and seems to be a seriously complete fighter. mostly tho, i like him on the mic. he's got a really powerful charisma. i don't know. i just really like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVQ4K5lCu2c