Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

my rules for the musk thread is to probe bloodlust and posting tweets from nobodies just to get angry them at because i think both make threads more toxic i think after the recent controversy involving musk unbanning an account for posting csam its more important than ever to probe for posting twitter nobodies because those are the accounts that will post that poo poo in the first place

when i first started someone posted a tweet from some rear end in a top hat and when you clicked on that tweet and scrolled down it led to a beheading video they didnt link to the beheading video directly but they through their negliance exposed another poster to it which is why i crack down on it. i think its a good idea for threads in gbs that involve lots of twitter traffic to crack down on that more and encourage common sense when handling twitter to prevent that since twitter embdeds arent going anywhere even if i wish they would go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

my rules for the musk thread is to probe bloodlust and posting tweets from nobodies just to get angry them at because i think both make threads more toxic i think after the recent controversy involving musk unbanning an account for posting csam its more important than ever to probe for posting twitter nobodies because those are the accounts that will post that poo poo in the first place

when i first started someone posted a tweet from some rear end in a top hat and when you clicked on that tweet and scrolled down it led to a beheading video they didnt link to the beheading video directly but they through their negliance exposed another poster to it which is why i crack down on it. i think its a good idea for threads in gbs that involve lots of twitter traffic to crack down on that more and encourage common sense when handling twitter to prevent that since twitter embdeds arent going anywhere even if i wish they would go away

In conclusion, ban twitter embeds

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It could definitely use an ik or more mod presence in general, it's getting that megathread-as-mini-subforum thing going on a bit. I almost made a post asking for an ik the other day when the thread was slapfighting over goon's lovely takes on wealth and immigration.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

surc posted:

It could definitely use an ik or more mod presence in general, it's getting that megathread-as-mini-subforum thing going on a bit. I almost made a post asking for an ik the other day when the thread was slapfighting over goon's lovely takes on wealth and immigration.

Agreed. I read the thread though I don't really post in it. An IK at this point would alleviate megathread disease.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Someone buy me a 12 pack of bud light with lime and I'll do it

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Or a sixer of strawbeeritas

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

I'd like to see some opinions from people actually active in the thread, but I'm not against the IK idea if they're also active and keep it mostly where it is currently.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'll serious post for a second and agree and say that one of the dumbest and worst things that happen in threads is tweets or random things being posted by nobodies, because it tends to just rile people up and cause a lovely derail.

It doesn't really matter if it's Trump, Musk, Bill Gates, submarines, whatever. It just usually creates a shitshow for a half page to a couple pages when someone posts a random nobody tweet almost designed to say nothing but also piss people off. It's always indignant "how dare this random person say a thing!" stuff and it's dumb.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Twitter sucks but it seems weird to me to punish someone if something poo poo pops up later in a linked twitter thread, especially if it's in the replies. A link to a tweet can be posted and like, someone can post something awful in the replies to it twelve hours later without the goon who linked it having any way of knowing.

I'd love less of Twitter in general though.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
If it's the Musk thread maybe only embed tweets that are from or directly related to him. It may be a bigger issue in the Trump thread because we usually drift to making fun of other random chuds while we wait for more indictments, and embedding random chuds brings you in much closer proximity to genuinely traumatizing poo poo than someone making fun of the X sign.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

emSparkly posted:

If it's the Musk thread maybe only embed tweets that are from or directly related to him. It may be a bigger issue in the Trump thread because we usually drift to making fun of other random chuds while we wait for more indictments, and embedding random chuds brings you in much closer proximity to genuinely traumatizing poo poo than someone making fun of the X sign.

Yeah absolutely I don't need to be reminded 100 times a day that the right wing hates me. A lot of the threads I used to read just got gradually taken over by posting the worst stuff someone else found while doomscrolling on twitter all day.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

emSparkly posted:

Agreed. It's this and why tweet embeds ultimately have to go imo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Does twitter still have the thing where you need to be logged in to see embeds? Because if so it seems like the easy fix is just log out then you never have to see it or have them do psychic damage to you or whatever

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

emSparkly posted:

this... you arent going to see anything tramautizing from an elon musk post or hell even a shapiro or peterson tweet just really stupid poo poo but when you link every single tweet from some republican nobody then eventually you are going to end up reposting some rear end in a top hat that posts beheading videos so just stick to posting about elon musk replacing teh twitter logo with an x and flashing a giant strobe light at the apartment across the street from twitter hq

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hey can someone edit the giant unmarked flashing strobe gif in the musk thread to be behind spoiler tags or something the epileptics will thank you. i reported it but sometimes it gets faster results here so why not

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Great feedback as always, Wendigee

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It becomes extra bad in the tankie and libertarian threads that become literally just posting the same twitter nobodies every day that no one else cares about.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

HonorableTB posted:

hey can someone edit the giant unmarked flashing strobe gif in the musk thread to be behind spoiler tags or something the epileptics will thank you. i reported it but sometimes it gets faster results here so why not

CaptainSarcastic has edited it out.
Sorry, I was in Jefferey Mode :tootzzz:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is what I imagine Smugworth would've done.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Solefald posted:

CaptainSarcastic has edited it out.
Sorry, I was in Jefferey Mode :tootzzz:

Awesome :cheers:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Back to the topic derailed recently, I'd like to put forward a suggestion made in SAD just now:

Endorph posted:

i think its totally fine if gbs or wherever wants to have a rule going 'don't call people retards/fags/whatever, even jokingly.' i get why you'd want that rule. even with some people reclaiming the word some people just dont want to see it.

So taking that arguendo as a reasonable basis, can we adopt that as a baseline? Obviously I think calling things or people "aids" should be included, but maybe I'm just misjudging the feeling on the issue. The rule would include the hard-r term as well, but I don't think creating specific word lists is either feasible or advisable, as it will inevitably lead to rules-lawyering. Context is *obviously* critical. I suggest adopting a general guideline and leaving it to the IK/mods to use their judgement.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Back to the topic derailed recently, I'd like to put forward a suggestion made in SAD just now:

So taking that arguendo as a reasonable basis, can we adopt that as a baseline? Obviously I think calling things or people "aids" should be included, but maybe I'm just misjudging the feeling on the issue. The rule would include the hard-r term as well, but I don't think creating specific word lists is either feasible or advisable, as it will inevitably lead to rules-lawyering. Context is *obviously* critical. I suggest adopting a general guideline and leaving it to the IK/mods to use their judgement.

my input as ik, someone who doesn't read reports:

i personally do not probate based on specific word usage, but instead context and my interpretation of intent, in pursuit of a certain culture and spirit of this subforum. it requires me to actively read the post (and often preceding and subsequent posts) but that is okay with me. i will continue to do so

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

chainprobe nom epique :cheers:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm neurodivergent and I really hate the word retard and there's no reason to use it in 2023 (nor was there before) as an insult. There's no way to use that word and not intend it as an insult. Nobody is reclaiming retard or retarded. It's time for it to go, this isn't 2004 anymore.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

chainprobe nom epique :cheers:

nom epique has been banned. ticket easily closed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

I really hate the word retard and there's no reason to use it in 2023 (nor was there before) as an insult. There's no way to use that word and not intend it as an insult. Nobody is reclaiming retard or retarded. It's time for it to go

plenty of neurodivergent people use it as a term of endearment you may not like and thats fair i actually dont like the word either but its also lovely to make sweeping generalizations like this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

nom epique has been banned. ticket easily closed.

chainprobe MuadDib Atreides :unsmigghh:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What finally got nom epique over the limit? I checked the Lepers Colony but it's a bit... busy at the moment.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

plenty of neurodivergent people use it as a term of endearment you may not like and thats fair i actually dont like the word either but its also lovely to make sweeping generalizations like this

as one of the people who hates it for very legitimate and very personal reasons I wish I could just have one or two spaces where it's not ok without the people who love it constantly pushing and fighting to be allowed to use it there too. I got called that word a lot growing up because of stuff outside of my control and I really hate seeing people fling it around. there's already plenty of spaces on this site where it's totally fine and I don't bother those spaces, I don't go around trying to make it so they can't do their thing. I just avoid those spaces. why can't the pro slur crowd just do the same? why does it have to be this constant encroachment?

I don't feel safe talking openly about how I feel about that word in the spaces where it gets debates because I feel certain I will be dogpiled, attacked, made fun of, etc. I know I am not the only one who feels this way about it, because there are other people I have spoken to who say the same thing. i don't mean to pull a 'silent majority' argument here, I don't know if we're the majority but I do know that it's not safe for us to say what we think about it.

as it is, e/n, gbs, and byob are the only places where it actually feels like it's against the rules to call people those words in that way. I wish the people who are obsessed with being able to say those words would just leave those places alone. they have their spaces. please just leave some of them for those of us who aren't cool with that stuff.

I feel like I shouldn't even say what I said here because it will put a target on my back but oh well.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

projecthalaxy posted:

What finally got nom epique over the limit? I checked the Lepers Colony but it's a bit... busy at the moment.

The cspam probes living up to the spam name.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

teemolover42069 posted:

as it is, e/n, gbs, and byob are the only places where it actually feels like it's against the rules to call people those words in that way. I wish the people who are obsessed with being able to say those words would just leave those places alone. they have their spaces. please just leave some of them for those of us who aren't cool with that stuff.

this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

he started posting about politics which is a step too far even for gbs

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

that specific account? he was complaining about his xbox iirc (which he is now trying to sell in sa-mart lmao)

his current account hasn;t been banned yet. muaddib atreides is his current handle

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if people want to use it for reclamation among likeminded people why not give them a thread to do that in or whatever, that way people can participate if they want to and otherwise not go around the forums calling posters retards under the banner of "Reclaiming this slur"

We have no idea whether or not the person who is using it is neurodivergent, whether the person it's directed at is a neurodivergent, or if the person its directed at would be okay with the endearment. And it shouldn't really matter because retard/retarded is based on mental disability and neuro divergence is not mental disability, nor should mental disabilities be used as insults in the first place. There's just no need to continue allowing it imo

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 31, 2023

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

[citation needed]

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

teemolover42069 posted:

as one of the people who hates it for very legitimate and very personal reasons I wish I could just have one or two spaces where it's not ok without the people who love it constantly pushing and fighting to be allowed to use it there too. I got called that word a lot growing up because of stuff outside of my control and I really hate seeing people fling it around. there's already plenty of spaces on this site where it's totally fine and I don't bother those spaces, I don't go around trying to make it so they can't do their thing. I just avoid those spaces. why can't the pro slur crowd just do the same? why does it have to be this constant encroachment?

I don't feel safe talking openly about how I feel about that word in the spaces where it gets debates because I feel certain I will be dogpiled, attacked, made fun of, etc. I know I am not the only one who feels this way about it, because there are other people I have spoken to who say the same thing. i don't mean to pull a 'silent majority' argument here, I don't know if we're the majority but I do know that it's not safe for us to say what we think about it.

I had mentioned some stuff like this, I don't recall where on the forum, but I had mentioned my family would call me that a bunch even after learning I was autistic. I would think most neuro's would agree it's not something people are using as "endearing" and even if they were these are random people on the internet, not mostly people you hang out with. I'd agreed that there's just places on the forum I don't go because it's not my business to be a whiner but there's really no reason to change the very very select forums that ban that sorta thing to change it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

teemolover42069 posted:

this

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

oval office should be allowed in GBS imho. it's not a slur it's just a naughty word and it's only americans that overreact to it. i can be like loving poo poo bitch whore rear end in a top hat wanker and it's fine but calling ricky gervais or elon musk a oval office isn't allowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

"it's not a slur where I live therefor it's not a slur anywhere"
Alright