Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A vertical monitor is just a normal monitor that's been rotated 90 degrees (with one notable exception). The main thing to care about is the vertical viewing angle, since it's very easy to be off axis to the left or right of a vertical monitor. If you really want something that will look good no matter how it's positioned, this Asus ProArt display has some of the best viewing angles measured by Rtings and it's reasonably well calibrated out of the box. That said, most basic 1440p or 4K 27" IPS will do just fine if you want to save a little money and get something for $200 or under instead.

The one exception I mentioned is the LG DualUp, a very unusual 16:18 monitor by LG: https://www.amazon.com/LG-28MQ780-B-DualUp-Monitor-DCI-P3/dp/B09XTD5C7H

It's a bit too expensive to casually recommend, but I believe a few goons have bought one and like it.

yeah that asus sounds good to me. my job is giving me $500, so I think I want to buy a monitor and some bluetooth headphones for the gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm still technically using my DualUp as a horizontal monitor, rotated to 18:16. I find it better for dev work with IDEs with sidebars and such. I find even 3:4 too narrow for general use but apparently some people don't mind 9:16, so YMMV. I can't think of many reasons to want a screen that narrow unless you're I dunno editing vertical phone videos (ugh) or doing dev work for phones.

Out of curiosity I checked the landscape (heh) for squarer monitors and besides that there's:

Dell U3023E - of the surprisingly long list of 2560 x 1600, 30" monitors on pcpartpicker, this was the only one with a price. Why the hell is it $600+, though? Yeah it's 30", but it's 60hz with mediocre PPI. 16:10 isn't worth paying a premium for.
Portable monitors - Amazon lists many dozens of dodgy brands, some of them going up to 16", 2520x1680 (3:2).
Huawei Mateview - 28", 3840 x 2560, 60hz. It's been available on amazon.ca for quite a while now - maybe overstock they couldn't sell elsewhere for some reason? It's held steady at 900 CAD (~680 USD).

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

eXXon posted:

Dell U3023E - of the surprisingly long list of 2560 x 1600, 30" monitors on pcpartpicker, this was the only one with a price. Why the hell is it $600+, though? Yeah it's 30", but it's 60hz with mediocre PPI. 16:10 isn't worth paying a premium for.

Are the dell ultrasharps not intended as design monitors, as in you're paying for the color accuracy? They tend to have stupidly accurate color, and always thought it was a "business" monitor. Are there even other 16:10 1600p monitors out there? Dell does tend to have sales, and I personally have been stupidly happy with the advanced exchange warranty for 3 years that comes built by default, assuming it hasn't gone to rear end recently. keep an eye out for a sale?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

The one exception I mentioned is the LG DualUp, a very unusual 16:18 monitor by LG: https://www.amazon.com/LG-28MQ780-B-DualUp-Monitor-DCI-P3/dp/B09XTD5C7H

It's a bit too expensive to casually recommend, but I believe a few goons have bought one and like it.

I'm so tempted but $600 is a bit much for an offside monitor I mostly use for PDFs. Right now I've got a 1440p to my left rotated 90° but 16:9 is way too narrow to display a page fullscreen. Paper is either 13:10 (US) or 14:10 (EU) and 16:9 so around 1/4 of the monitor is unused. Worse because all PDF viewers use sidebars instead of topbars for table of contents, etc so it squashes the page even smaller.

I'd have to buy another GPU to drive it too, I doubt this old rx 580 can deal with another massive display. 3x1440p is already pushing it.

eXXon posted:

I'm still technically using my DualUp as a horizontal monitor, rotated to 18:16. I find it better for dev work with IDEs with sidebars and such. I find even 3:4 too narrow for general use but apparently some people don't mind 9:16, so YMMV. I can't think of many reasons to want a screen that narrow unless you're I dunno editing vertical phone videos (ugh) or doing dev work for phones.

Agreed. I've got a 9:16 in my setup and it's absolutely not for general use, it's off to the left and exists only for PDFs. I've got a pair of 27" 1440p 16:9 that are my daily drivers, with some messaging apps hanging out on the upper left monitor to not distract me.

The other problem for me is the PPI is all wrong. dual 27" monitors stacked would be 36", not 28. so anything moved to the dualup would be a lot smaller.

e: don't mind me talking myself out of buying a $600 monitor as a gimmick.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 28, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Harik posted:

I'm so tempted but $600 is a bit much for an offside monitor I mostly use for PDFs. Right now I've got a 1440p to my left rotated 90° but 16:9 is way too narrow to display a page fullscreen. Paper is either 13:10 (US) or 14:10 (EU) and 16:9 so around 1/4 of the monitor is unused. Worse because all PDF viewers use sidebars instead of topbars for table of contents, etc so it squashes the page even smaller.

I'd have to buy another GPU to drive it too, I doubt this old rx 580 can deal with another massive display. 3x1440p is already pushing it.

Agreed. I've got a 9:16 in my setup and it's absolutely not for general use, it's off to the left and exists only for PDFs. I've got a pair of 27" 1440p 16:9 that are my daily drivers, with some messaging apps hanging out on the upper left monitor to not distract me.

The other problem for me is the PPI is all wrong. dual 27" monitors stacked would be 36", not 28. so anything moved to the dualup would be a lot smaller.

e: don't mind me talking myself out of buying a $600 monitor as a gimmick.

I bought one last year for primarily work stuff and it is insanely pleasant to have a bunch of stuff open on at the same time. It's got basically the same DPI as a 32" 4K monitor, with about 90% of the pixels of one. But it's got a KVM switch, and USB-C with 90W power delivery so I can just plug my work laptop in with a single cable and have everything I need which is pretty awesome.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Hey thread, i'm looking to buy a >30" gaming monitor, probably an ultrawide 21:9 curved thing, but i have no idea what to look for other then "does it have 144+ Hz refreshrate and a 1ms or lower response time". Any tips? What are the important metrics?

Killstick fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 30, 2023

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Killstick posted:

Hey thread, i'm looking to buy a >30" gaming monitor, probably an ultrawide 21:9 curved thing, but i have no idea what to look for other then "does it have 144+ Hz refreshrate and a 1ms or lower response time". Any tips? What are the important metrics?

What's your price range? There are solid pics around $400-$500 and then the "step up" ones are like $900+.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Killstick posted:

I really like my dell S3422DWG but I got it on sale for $350

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

DrDork posted:

What's your price range? There are solid pics around $400-$500 and then the "step up" ones are like $900+.

I'd be stretching it if i went over 5-600$ but i could be convinced if the performance was worth it. Hard line at 1000$ probably. I don't really know what the substantial difference is is the problem.

Koirhor posted:

I really like my dell S3422DWG but I got it on sale for $350

How big of a difference does the VA vs IPS panel make? I've been trying to read up on the IPS vs OLED vs the rest and i don't really know if it's a substantial difference or not (for gaming only). Also i would want a G-Sync monitor rather then Free-Sync.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Killstick posted:

I'd be stretching it if i went over 5-600$ but i could be convinced if the performance was worth it. Hard line at 1000$ probably. I don't really know what the substantial difference is is the problem.

The top of the line is QD-OLED. These are self-emissive displays with perfect blacks (when there's no ambient light...) and punchy highlights and a vibrant color gamut, making for a top-tier HDR display. It also has basically instant response times for excellent motion clarity. You should disregard all response times you see in official marketing materials because that's basically all bullshit, but OLED panels are legitimately lightning fast, and there's never any kind of blurring that comes from slow pixel transitions. Here's a review from Hardware Unboxed.

The AW3423DWF is $900 after using the coupon code ALIENWARE10, so it's very expensive, but basically everyone I know who has gotten one has fallen in love with it. That said, you have to be really committed to having the absolute best picture quality to want to spend over twice as much on one over a basic LCD ultrawide. QD-OLED is also susceptible to burn-in if you frequently have lots of static imagery on screen (e.g. UI elements), which makes them not an ideal choice for people looking to use the monitor for work in addition to gaming/media consumption (though at least Dell's monitors come with burn-in protection in their 3-year warranty).

The less expensive LCD ultrawides almost all use VA panels, which means they have good picture quality with decent contrast, but they also have dark-level smearing (dark colors may appear to smear when moving). How much this bothers you depends on the person. There are a handful of IPS ultrawides that lack this smearing but have crappy contrast—though the affordable ones are all flat, which is weird and awkward with an ultrawide in my opinion. The Dell S3422DWG is one of the decent VA ultrawides, while the Gigabyte M34WQ is one of the cheap IPS flat panels. The LG 34GN850 is one of the curved IPS ultrawides, and it's currently on sale for around $600 on amazon it looks like. That's an okay price—LG's IPS panels have good motion clarity and nice color vibrancy, but their contrast is rear end. I think it's a better panel than the VA ultrawides, but at $600 you're starting to get to the point where you may be better off just dropping a fat stack on a QD-OLED monitor instead.

edit: re: g-sync vs freesync: this doesn't really matter. nvidia and amd cards each work with both, and there's no clear advantage for nvidia users when it comes to using the g-sync equipped AW3423DW as opposed to the freesync AW3423DWF. The general advice is to just get the cheaper DWF model. The same goes for any other monitor type, in my opinion. Native g-sync support is not worth paying extra for, trust me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 30, 2023

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I thought this article was interesting about upcoming OLED tech:
https://displaydaily.com/the-moving-puck-of-oled/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

g-sync equipped AW3423DW as opposed to the freesync AW3423DWF. The general advice is to just get the cheaper DWF model.

The 2 models also have different ports, the cheaper one has 2x DP 1x HDMI, the gsync one has the other way round. Is it still true that g-sync only does variable refresh rate over DP? The only real thing that annoys me about my OG Alienware ultrawide is the small number of ports and only being able to get 60hz through the HDMI.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mofabio posted:

I thought this article was interesting about upcoming OLED tech:
https://displaydaily.com/the-moving-puck-of-oled/

Yeah, there are a lot of incremental improvements that can really add up to some big efficiency and lifespan improvements over the coming years. It's really disappointing to hear that phosphorescent blue oled could slip another year though.

knox_harrington posted:

The 2 models also have different ports, the cheaper one has 2x DP 1x HDMI, the gsync one has the other way round. Is it still true that g-sync only does variable refresh rate over DP? The only real thing that annoys me about my OG Alienware ultrawide is the small number of ports and only being able to get 60hz through the HDMI.

AW3423DW can support g-sync over HDMI, but it only supports HDMI 2.0, and it's limited to just 100Hz over that connection. You're expected to hook your gaming PC up to it via DP, and any secondary devices will have to be 100hz or lower.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

The LG 34GN850 is one of the curved IPS ultrawides, and it's currently on sale for around $600 on amazon it looks like. That's an okay price—LG's IPS panels have good motion clarity and nice color vibrancy, but their contrast is rear end. I think it's a better panel than the VA ultrawides, but at $600 you're starting to get to the point where you may be better off just dropping a fat stack on a QD-OLED monitor instead.

Thanks for all the information. I'm in Sweden and the LG 34GN850 is available for the low price of 1200 USD here, so that's a no-go. From looking around it doesn't seem like any 21:9 ultrawide IPS (and certainly no OLED) monitors are available under 1000 USD, so i'm probably going to go with a standard VA monitor for now. Given those constraints, i'll take your advice and get a Dell 34" S3422DWG 21:9 Curved 144 Hz HDR. Thanks again.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
And yes I can personally confirm that GSync works just fine with my monitor, people say you need to stay above 60fps but honestly I’ve never noticed an issue it works perfectly fine

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rawrbomb posted:

Are the dell ultrasharps not intended as design monitors, as in you're paying for the color accuracy? They tend to have stupidly accurate color, and always thought it was a "business" monitor. Are there even other 16:10 1600p monitors out there? Dell does tend to have sales, and I personally have been stupidly happy with the advanced exchange warranty for 3 years that comes built by default, assuming it hasn't gone to rear end recently. keep an eye out for a sale?

I dunno, that particular model seems to be advertised as a productivity/office monitor. I'm not sure what the use case is for high color accuracy but middling resolution and every reviewer said they couldn't understand the pricing. Oh well.

Harik posted:

That's why you get two DualUps. I actually briefly considered this but could not justify it in any way; three monitors takes up way too much space and you can't really focus on more than one at once anyway unless you're I dunno playing flight sims or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo thread, so I'm looking for a new work monitor. They sent me an M2 Macbook Pro, so I can't use my normal dual monitor setup w/o buying a display link driver dock. Last time I had that it was a huge hassle, so I was thinking this time I just go single monitor ultrawide. My work will pay $250 against a monitor of my choice. No PC gaming, and I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible. My criteria:

• Ultrawide, 34"
  • No gaming, except sometimes there's a Switch connected to it.
  • USB hub built in
  • speakers (this isn't a hard requirement, but it'd be nice
  • VESA compatibility
  • PIP or Picture by Picture Support

I trolled the thread, I see S3422DWG, maybe that's something to consider. Amazon has an Open box for 320, maybe that's something to check out? S3422DW is also $400 and it has speakers too.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 31, 2023

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Killstick posted:

How big of a difference does the VA vs IPS panel make? I've been trying to read up on the IPS vs OLED vs the rest and i don't really know if it's a substantial difference or not (for gaming only). Also i would want a G-Sync monitor rather then Free-Sync.

Generally speaking IPS panels are a bit sharper and usually have better color, but VA panels usually have fairly better contrast ratios (still not amazing), I for one don't like the poor contrast on IPS so I've always stuck to VA, but VA black level smearing can be a thing on certain panels, and unfortunately the dell s3422dwg does have it, I really only ever noticed it while playing diablo 4 and scrolling the map while in a dungeon, the brown diagonal lines accent around the map will disappear into the black background when you scroll, that's black level smearing, other than that, I loved that monitor, solid colors, good text clarity, rgb sub pixel layout, powered usb hub, you can use dell display manager and never have to touch the buttons on the back of the thing again, which is good because it uses the 4 buttons and the analog stick on the right side which isn't exactly ideal, also it's black uniformity wasn't great either, but was only noticeable when the screen was mostly black, and that could just be my particular unit.

also check it out, aw3423dwf on the left s3422dwg on the right for a laugh:

I also find it somewhat ironic that the cheaper dell has a smaller bezel than the much more expensive alienware qd-oled.

edit: here is a list of all the gsync and gsync compatible monitors. gsync and gsync ultimate are, at least afaik, the ones with the gsync hardware, they support the full range of VRR and gsync ultimate supports the full range of VRR while also having HDR (used to mean anything with HDR1000 or greater but they relaxed that apparently) g-sync compatible is more or less the same as freesync, and afaik has the same more limited vrr range as freesync vs the g-sync chip (but you can edit your vrr range with custom resolution utility) and even if your monitor isn't on that list, as long as it isn't older than say maybe 4 or 5 years, if it has freesync, it probably supports g-sync compatible, some monitors are branded by nvidia as compatible meaning you can just turn it on in nvidia control panel, some aren't meaning you might have to take a second step of checking the option below the g-sync options that reads "enable settings for the selected display model".

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 31, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvqcPyZ6ges

Basically, monitors using the 32-inch 4K 240hz OLED panels from Samsung and LG are expected to arrive at Q2/Q3 next year. Simon also hints at a possible official announcement related to this in the near future. There's also a 45-inch 5120x2160 165hz panel coming in 2025. 27-inch 4K is still planned, but there doesn't seem to be any real development on that front. The pixel density may be too much until some major changes in the manufacturing process occurs. We keep hearing about new deposition techniques like eLeap or the "VIP" technique described in the article Mofabio posted above that could enable higher densities, but so far there's no indication of which direction Samsung and LG will take their large-panel manufacturing in the future. So probably don't expect that for at least a couple more years.

There's a new generation of 21:9 1440p panels coming too, as well as 16:9 1440p 360hz qd-oled in the first half of next year and 1440p 480hz woled in late 2024 or maybe early 2025.

Also, I respect Simon Baker, but dude needs to up his production values if he wants to switch to video-only content. He's just awkwardly reading a script in a dark cave somewhere with lovely lighting while the camera is zoomed in uncomfortably close. His written articles are much easier to read through and glean information from without coming off as so amateurish.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 2, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My Costco has a shocking number of curved monitors.

49inch Samsung, 35 inch LG. 27s

They had them out on display too so you can see the curves.

Those of you that don’t have a Micro Center might have a Costco.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

aw poo poo, quote != edit. Sorry.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

spunkshui posted:

My Costco has a shocking number of curved monitors.

49inch Samsung, 35 inch LG. 27s

They had them out on display too so you can see the curves.

Those of you that don’t have a Micro Center might have a Costco.
I've yet to see a single monitor at my Costco that I would consider a gaming monitor.

I'm sure they are all great for office work or casual stuff, but I look a few times a year and don't recall even seeing 90+ fps capable ones.

Good price, good warranty but most I've seen are 60hz specials, unless I'm just crazy.

Most of them are 1080 as well.

Edit: The employee I talked with was a gamer and seemed pretty apologetic about it and said either get a tv or go with the OLED Alienware I mentioned.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 2, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've yet to see a single monitor at my Costco that I would consider a gaming monitor.

I'm sure they are all great for office work or casual stuff, but I look a few times a year and don't recall even seeing 90+ fps capable ones.

Good price, good warranty but most I've seen are 60hz specials, unless I'm just crazy.

Most of them are 1080 as well.

Edit: The employee I talked with was a gamer and seemed pretty apologetic about it and said either get a tv or go with the OLED Alienware I mentioned.

Same, but things have changed.

All of these are over 100 FPS.

https://www.costco.com/monitors.html?features=gaming&refine=%7C%7CFeatures_attr-Gaming

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Good to know, sorry for my year old info then!

I get uninterruptible power supplies, routers and modems from Costco for better warranty and exchange because everywhere I live tends to blow stuff up due to brownouts and I'm sick of needing new routers every 2 years or so.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Looking to upgrade to an ultrawide, and all signs point toward the alienware DWF but If I have a tendency to pass out with the game running and my monitor on, I'm assuming that would accelerate the burn-in on an OLED? I also don't like the idea of using a black wallpaper and hiding my task bar, maybe an OLED isnt for me? or am I overthinking things.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How did we end up in a world where the hottest new monitor tech gives us all these great improvements but breaks if you use fundamental interfaces that have been around for forty years?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tipme posted:

Looking to upgrade to an ultrawide, and all signs point toward the alienware DWF but If I have a tendency to pass out with the game running and my monitor on, I'm assuming that would accelerate the burn-in on an OLED? I also don't like the idea of using a black wallpaper and hiding my task bar, maybe an OLED isnt for me? or am I overthinking things.

Sounds like OLED is not for you.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

How did we end up in a world where the hottest new monitor tech gives us all these great improvements but breaks if you use fundamental interfaces that have been around for forty years?

I still don't have any OLEDs other then phones and watch. I feel like we are really really close to zero issue bright OLEDs but I also didnt want to scold my family for what their did on a screen in the Livingroom.

My TV is a QN90A which just gets bright AF, but its VA panel

OLED computer monitors have to do fancy things to protect themselves like play with how bring things are and idk how I would feel about that.

I went with a 240hz 1440p ips for now because My house is all 27 inch screens and I love a screen that sticks arround.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are there general settings I should switch on for 1440p gaming? I didn't do anything with this acer I got and I've been wondering.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In spite of my recent whining I'm still considering the 27GR95QE and ASUS equivalent. What features does HDMI 2.1 give me in the former, and do they beat out the better brightness on the latter? I'm thinking of keeping two of my old IPS screens to do a two-over-one setup with arms, where I can throw my static elements up to the high monitors and game / watch / single-window on the OLED.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

In spite of my recent whining I'm still considering the 27GR95QE and ASUS equivalent. What features does HDMI 2.1 give me in the former, and do they beat out the better brightness on the latter? I'm thinking of keeping two of my old IPS screens to do a two-over-one setup with arms, where I can throw my static elements up to the high monitors and game / watch / single-window on the OLED.

Let's you run 4k120 over hdmi instead of having to use displayport. That's it. Though you still need to use displayport if you want to go past 120hz at 4k.

e: misread what you were asking. Dr Video Games has a better answer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 4, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The entire point is basically to let you downscale from 4K120 sources (which is really just consoles) to 1440p. It's probably just better to use the PS5's new 1440p mode now though, isn't it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

because monitors aren't monitors anymore, they're re-badged TV screens

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The entire point is basically to let you downscale from 4K120 sources (which is really just consoles) to 1440p. It's probably just better to use the PS5's new 1440p mode now though, isn't it?

caveat: the PS5 only supports VRR over HDMI 2.1, not the older freesync-over-HDMI

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

Re Alienware OLED flickering: Mine looks fine? I think? Is this a panel lottery deal? Maybe I don’t notice it.

The only time I notice flickering is in like, Steam Overlay.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The ASUS and LG are both in stock near me with BestBuy’s extended warranty to cover poo poo the manufacturer doesn’t.

What are the Windows / Nvidia quirks I need to be aware of to run a modern VRR OLED alongside a pair of 60Hz IPS displays from the mid 2010’s?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just looking at this thing in store I know I’ll want at least one VRR companion monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

The ASUS and LG are both in stock near me with BestBuy’s extended warranty to cover poo poo the manufacturer doesn’t.

What are the Windows / Nvidia quirks I need to be aware of to run a modern VRR OLED alongside a pair of 60Hz IPS displays from the mid 2010’s?

I think most quirks have been ironed out by this point. I have no problem running high-refresh VRR monitors next to 60hz ones.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah this is pretty loving great overall, but I can see the text fringing as I type this post. Maybe it's not as bad in dark mode but it will be something to tweak / get used to. Everything else is about as good as you would expect going from ~13yr old 60Hz IPS to 240Hz OLED. BestBuy even gave me half-off a five year warranty.

E: fixed-ish for straight characters like L and E after a single pass through the ClearType wizard, but O is still kinda noticeable.

e2: does f.lux normally gently caress with forum colours this much in HDR, or am I missing something? The green hues are overpowering. At least text looks normal in this state; this reminds me of when I went off my last shadow mask CRT to my first LCD and the Outlook icon went from a bright orange to a dull muck, but good.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's also unreal how much less power this display uses than what it replaced despite doing so much more. Maxed-out everything is drawing about 20W vs the old monitor's 60 (which was at ~50% backlight), though I guess bright scenes or putting my FPS cap above 180 might close that gap.