Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sunk Dunk posted:

Allen and Ginter comes out next month. I'm such a sucker for that set. Will prolly buy a couple of hobby boxes

hell yea

I got an A&G Ohtani rookie that looks 9.5+

It's my baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
My current Ohtani collection:

Having a lot of fun buying the sub $5 Chromes on eBay. Lots of great choices. No more "high end" (to me) stuff. I got the Bowman RC in the mail yesterday. If I buy any more slabs they'll be 8s or 9s, no more 10s (just not worth it).

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Not an Ohtani guy myself, but that is an awesome collection. It's fun to find cheap cards that are really cool looking, so have fun with that! Do you have any plans on trying to get an autograph?

Also, I'm looking forward to A&G release, I haven't been buying much sealed product for the past couple months but I'll probably buy a box or two of it. As someone who collected during Junk Wax, A&G and Gypsy Queen perfectly hit the mark for me between dusty nostalgic design (Heritage is TOO oldschool looking) and the flashy bunch of new stuff (personally not a fan of chrome stock cards).

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 7, 2023

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
No plans for autos, unless I can grab one cheap (like $200 max). I've thought about owning a signed baseball or something, but I don't think it would be that cool. Owning something that he signed just to meet some contract requirement he has would be way different than him signing something for me specifically (even if it was a 5 second encounter, I'd never sell it).

If I got one while ripping cards I'd certainly keep that too.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The World's Finest Ohtani card in 2023 Topps Finest is pretty sick. It doesn't have a large print run either, only ~700 base cards. I got lucky and snagged the first BIN on Ebay at $40. The seller initially listed it at $8 but he pulled the listing before I jumped on it lol. A /50 gold diamond copy sold for $400 this morning. The 2023 Finest base design is a bit of a stinker but the World's Finest and Rookie Variant inserts are pretty neat.

link to an ebay listing with a good pic

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Rare doesn't always mean good. Here's a 1/1 that's pretty polarizing:

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone found the customer support at COMC to be either slow or non-existent? This week I received a small order of color variations for Topps 2023, but the packaged excluded one card from my order and included a duplicate of another. After locating their phone number, the recorded message states that COMC no longer has phone agents. Instead, I was instructed to use the help function through their website for instant support, but that seems to send a help ticket. So now I'm waiting for a callback. Granted, it is a $2 card, but I want my order to be correct and not short another seller.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve heard of them having issues for awhile

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I have been thinking about starting a collection of weird horizontal sets, such as a single refractor from every year of Topps Chrome baseball but of the shittiest player in the set that season (as in they had the worst year by WAR). Similarly, buying the cheapest card in various cool insert sets that I can find, IE the cheapest PMG, cheapest Flair Legacy collection, cheapest Mirror Gold. Would this type of collection interest people, you think? I just wanna have neat cardboard that I liked from my childhood.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve heard of them having issues for awhile

Maybe I groused too soon. This afternoon COMC contacted me stating they have mailed the correct card and that I was free to keep the one sent in error. For a sample size of one, I'm pleased with this outcome.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Do whatever you want is what I think. I've been buying a bunch of cheap rear end cards because I don't want to spend anymore money, but even though I'm only focused on Ohtani cards, he's got a shitload of them and I'm overwhelmed.

I have probably 25 of his cards at home along with some slabbed ones I posted up earlier.

I used to avoid Topps Chrome, but those cards are pretty nice and being able to get them non rookie year non slabbed, for a few bucks each feels good. One tip I'd share is to find listings on eBay from high volume sellers and just place a watch on the cards you want. Often times you'll get a notification for a 10-25% discount offer after a day or two (if you don't get one by then, you won't).

This is an example of such a card I like for the money:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Topps Chrome stuff is hitting ebay a bit early. The degen in me found an interesting opportunity if someone were to bet on the NL MVP race

Topps will buyback chrome refractors for the NL MVP, through your LCS, for $40 store credit. Here's the return estimate for betting with a Vegas sports book vs betting with baseball cards (2023 refractors purchased off ebay, shipping and tax included).

Vegas
Acuna -450
Freeman +600

Topps
Acuna -700
Freeman +1200

If you think Acuna is a lock, call your bookie. If you like Freddie's Vegas odds, hit up ebay.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Oh no I forgot they were doing the buybacks again. I bought so, so much Chrome last year chasing Goldy and Judge. My return was..... not good. AND now I don't have them for my base set!!!

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bought some 2022 Topps Chrome over the weekend from my local shop. The experience of opening the packs was fun and the cards themselves were slick, but the payoff was so underwhelming for the price point.

Looking at Ebay and COMC, I could have spent the same money and gotten some quality single from Topps Tribute. The authenticated game-used jersey swatches are super neat and tickle my collector itch very nicely.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sy Borg posted:

I bought some 2022 Topps Chrome over the weekend from my local shop. The experience of opening the packs was fun and the cards themselves were slick, but the payoff was so underwhelming for the price point.

Looking at Ebay and COMC, I could have spent the same money and gotten some quality single from Topps Tribute. The authenticated game-used jersey swatches are super neat and tickle my collector itch very nicely.

To be fair, the first two posts in this thread spell out very clearly that ripping packs is fun but definitely not financially wise!

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

camoseven posted:

To be fair, the first two posts in this thread spell out very clearly that ripping packs is fun but definitely not financially wise!

Yeah, I know, but sometimes toddlers need to learn not to touch a stove (like me). It felt good to complain, though.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Is anyone going to the National this week in Chicago/ Rosemount?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
fyi

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

"TacoFractor"? lol

I guess it's as dumb as it sounds.

https://ballcardgenius.com/blog/what-is-a-tacofractor/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What is it with Topps these days and having like two years of RCs for players now

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

There are so many variants within this set!

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2023_Topps_Chrome

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
IIRC there's a really early debut deadline, and if you make your first appearance after that, your RCs get held over to the next year. Which is why none of Rutschman's 2022 cards have the rookie logo, even though he appeared in 113 games last year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

joebuddah posted:

Is anyone going to the National this week in Chicago/ Rosemount?

I got into Chicago today and will attend tomorrow. Don’t expect too much since I’m primarily a hockey guy who buys midrange stuff but it’s fun to visit anyway.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I thought the new TacoFractors and FrozenFractors were both /5 but it doesn't show that on that link.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I thought the new TacoFractors and FrozenFractors were both /5 but it doesn't show that on that link.

quote:

Each TacoFractor is serial-numbered to five.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The FrozenFractors have negative serial numbers /0 and I want one very badly.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

camoseven posted:

The FrozenFractors have negative serial numbers /0 and I want one very badly.

I saw an example on Reddit, and they look really cool.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

IIRC there's a really early debut deadline, and if you make your first appearance after that, your RCs get held over to the next year. Which is why none of Rutschman's 2022 cards have the rookie logo, even though he appeared in 113 games last year.

Yeah this is one reason why the brands used to do the series 1/series 2 thing

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I pulled a case hit from my jumbo box. No idea how to do photos through the app, so imagine there’s a Bo Jackson ultra Violet all-stars /99 in here. I also pulled a Nolan Gorman orange wave /25 and Josh Jung purple speckle /299.

Autos were Jeter Downs, Brice Turang, and Jonathan Aranda.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I should have bought a jumbo yesterday when they were 315 on Fanatics. Instead I bought a Riley Greene ssp. Well, that is until the seller cancelled the order 10 minutes after telling me he would ship it same day. Zero response when I asked him why he cancelled it. Very cool.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Gorman Thomas posted:

I should have bought a jumbo yesterday when they were 315 on Fanatics. Instead I bought a Riley Greene ssp. Well, that is until the seller cancelled the order 10 minutes after telling me he would ship it same day. Zero response when I asked him why he cancelled it. Very cool.

I can hook you up with the 35th anniversary refractor parallel and future stars insert of Riley Greene if you pc him

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

lloyol posted:

I can hook you up with the 35th anniversary refractor parallel and future stars insert of Riley Greene if you pc him

That's really cool of you to offer but im good, I don't pc Riley but I really like the Chrome SSPs. I'm gonna try and pick one up eventually once there's a healthy amount on ebay.

Right now I'm feeding the gambler in me by buying up Freddie Freeman buybacks at +800 to +1000 payouts lol.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
National was cool but holy god there were so many actual children all trying to sell stuff and be YouTube influencers. And the worst part is they all have more money than me :argh:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Schremp Howard posted:

National was cool but holy god there were so many actual children all trying to sell stuff and be YouTube influencers. And the worst part is they all have more money than me :argh:

My LCS is in a pretty wealthy part of town, and it's not uncommon to see children and teens come in and drop more money in an hour than I can afford to spend on cards in a year. Crazy poo poo.

Oh well, at least that means the shop will be around for a while. It's a pretty great spot.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone have recommendations on a card storage box? I have a two row one from BCW but I can't stand that it's cardboard. I almost spilled a drink on it earlier and it would have permanently stained it. Otherwise it's perfect as it holds PSA slabs along with my top loaders (that are also in sleeves because I'm a nut).

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Bank posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a card storage box? I have a two row one from BCW but I can't stand that it's cardboard. I almost spilled a drink on it earlier and it would have permanently stained it. Otherwise it's perfect as it holds PSA slabs along with my top loaders (that are also in sleeves because I'm a nut).

I use the BCW 3200 bin for my cards in toploaders https://www.bcwsupplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bin

They have a bin for graded cards on that page, too, but I don't have experience with it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

We are clearing space in our apartment and are looking to offload several binders full of hockey cards from the early 80s-mid 90s. Would just taking them to Goodwill and letting them sort the chaff from value be my best bet or do actual card shops offer pennies on the pound?

(I will sort my 70s era baseball cards a bit more carefully but not interested in investing a ton of time into this. How many dup Topps Vida Blues does anyone really need?)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
If hockey is prevalent in your area, consider finding a Boys and Girls club (or equivalent) to donate for kids to have instead of goodwill. Could get some kids into the hobby.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

savesthedayrocks posted:

If hockey is prevalent in your area, consider finding a Boys and Girls club (or equivalent) to donate for kids to have instead of goodwill. Could get some kids into the hobby.

That's a good idea. Being in Calgary I'm sure the kids would love to get those Flames from the past even if they don't have much an idea for who Mike Vernon or Joel Otto are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

That's a good idea. Being in Calgary I'm sure the kids would love to get those Flames from the past even if they don't have much an idea for who Mike Vernon or Joel Otto are.

The best part about collecting hockey cards for the flames is you have a new team every year or so!