Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oof they just blindsided my wife with a “Congratulations! We recognize your hard work and dedication and see how you step up and all your value. We are pleased to announce you’ll be salary!” The way it was framed was super condescending like hourly workers are pieces of poo poo and she isn’t one now.

She doesn’t work a lot of overtime but does have a semi erratic schedule since she’s an event manager for the city. A position that kinda requires you to be flexible and work overtime and after hours occasionally. This also kneecaps her ability to get comp time which was probably the biggest benefit since the city kinda sucks with PTO.

She’s loving pissed.

I am guessing her managers suck. But salary can cut both ways. If she is required to work after hours some days, then she just comes in late the next day to make up for it. Or leaves early the following day. Clearly not as nice as getting comp time to use at your discretion, but there are ways to keep your weekly hours at (or under) 40 while salaried.

Or just call their bluff and have her thank them for never having to work weekends or after 5pm (or whatever regular quitting time is) again. But only use that option if she is ready to be shown the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Orvin posted:

I am guessing her managers suck. But salary can cut both ways. If she is required to work after hours some days, then she just comes in late the next day to make up for it. Or leaves early the following day. Clearly not as nice as getting comp time to use at your discretion, but there are ways to keep your weekly hours at (or under) 40 while salaried.

Or just call their bluff and have her thank them for never having to work weekends or after 5pm (or whatever regular quitting time is) again. But only use that option if she is ready to be shown the door.

Lol

Lmao

Rofl

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Orvin posted:

Lol yes, because city events notoriously never occur on weekends or after 5pm

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Orvin posted:

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstand.

Salary means no more overtime. But if you come in late or leave early you'll have to use PTO.

I don't care if you stayed 4 hours late for an event, you need to burn PTO to leave 30 minutes early. This isn't just a job, it's a CAREER.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

At my first career job we went hourly->salaried->back to hourly

Let me tell you, switching back to hourly was fuckin DOPE, especially when I was training all the new autopsy techs and got to get our flat rate for autopsies on top of OT and a weekend differential :yum:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Orvin posted:

This does not reflect reality.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I probably should have been more explicit.

“I am guessing her managers suck, and none of this will directly apply without promptly being shown the door. …”

Might as well push the limits while spreading the resume around.

Find a 24/7 utility company that realizes no one wants to work shift work anymore, and I will show you a company that pays salaried dispatchers (and field supervisors) overtime. Granted it was just OT paid out at 1.25x the calculated hourly conversion of salary/2080. But it was better than when I started and OT was paid out at straight time. But they were hemorrhaging people so bad they had to put up some money to attempt to keep people around and attract some new people with $$ for eyes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Even ATT, an absolute Dilbert of a company, pays its field techs 1.5 OT and 2x for holidays. Lots of people didn't know they also did 1.5 all day Sundays so I would always take Monday and Tuesday as my 'weekend'.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Another fun fact, in at least California, there's a salary cutoff where you stop being eligible for overtime. It's usually mid- to high-five figures. OP's wife might still be eligible for overtime.

If she is, cue up a raise to $1/yr over that line, but bank it until then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just found out a friends company gets rid of people by offering them positions in Singapore then as soon as they touch ground there after signing for the job fire them since the laws for firing employees are more favorable there.

Don't even have to ship any of there work stuff their, cause all you're waiting for is their work phone to say its location is Singapore. And since they told everyone they are leaving market and getting a promotion less noise comes back about the burn.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's loving vile.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do they make them pay their own relocation coss?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds like the kind of trick that should only work once

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's terrible but also kind of hilarious

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m assuming that’s in Europe? Cause the US definitely doesn’t give a poo poo about how you fire someone.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
As a reminder, just because your work says you’re “exempt/salary/1099” doesn’t make it so under the FLSA. Generally courts default to assuming you’re entitled to overtime (ie hourly) unless you very crystal clearly fall into one of the FLSA exemptions.

Class action FLSAs can also get money owed to your similarly misclassified coworkers as well so standing up for yourself can mean you stand up for them. It’s like a union you didn’t even know you had!

IANAL, this is not legal advice.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m assuming that’s in Europe? Cause the US definitely doesn’t give a poo poo about how you fire someone.

I can't say I want to fire this employee for being gay... I know, I'll just give no reason at all, you're fired, also there's no severance, good luck.

America.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Or even better: Sign this paperwork for your severance, just kidding, we filed bankruptcy so we don’t have to actually honor it because we’re broke!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

At my first career job we went hourly->salaried->back to hourly

Let me tell you, switching back to hourly was fuckin DOPE, especially when I was training all the new autopsy techs and got to get our flat rate for autopsies on top of OT and a weekend differential :yum:

I'm on paternity leave (which is nice) but yeah I didn't like working all those OT hours but I sure was making some bank lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

He's in the Yakuza.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sounds like the kind of trick that should only work once

Right. Why would anyone accept a job in Singapore if this is a known thing?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
"They're being transferred to Singapore" being used as a euphemism for being fired is darkly funny

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chaotic Flame posted:

Right. Why would anyone accept a job in Singapore if this is a known thing?
In Japan I imagine if you're getting the transfer to Singapore you colossally stupid and or willing to risk it because you've spent the last 5 years working in a closet with no raises.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

I just found out a friends company gets rid of people by offering them positions in Singapore then as soon as they touch ground there after signing for the job fire them since the laws for firing employees are more favorable there.

Don't even have to ship any of there work stuff their, cause all you're waiting for is their work phone to say its location is Singapore. And since they told everyone they are leaving market and getting a promotion less noise comes back about the burn.

If a company did that to me I'd probably end up in jail. Jesus Christ.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Orvin posted:

Her manager just left and the guy that was likely slotted to replace her is putting in his notice on Tuesday. There's possibly the opportunity to be promoted and this not matter but it's a long shot. The whole department is gonna be a poo poo show for the next few months. Morale is super low and the city is broke (the real reason this change is happening)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ravus Ursus posted:

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstand.

Salary means no more overtime. But if you come in late or leave early you'll have to use PTO.

I don't care if you stayed 4 hours late for an event, you need to burn PTO to leave 30 minutes early. This isn't just a job, it's a CAREER.
Do you guys really not have TOIL there? It's been a line item on timesheets in every place I've worked bar, like, call centres where there's shifts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

Surely you can only pull something of that magnitude so many times before someone stops by with a molotov.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
They'd have to get back from Singapore first.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Splicer posted:

Do you guys really not have TOIL there? It's been a line item on timesheets in every place I've worked bar, like, call centres where there's shifts.
If you don't want your employees to burn out and quit you have time off in lieu or compensation time off for salary plus overtime or utilization bonuses as a cherry on top.

However most American employers want their salaried employees to burn out and quit so they can make the position redundant or hire cheaper salaries.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

In Japan I imagine if you're getting the transfer to Singapore you colossally stupid and or willing to risk it because you've spent the last 5 years working in a closet with no raises.

Singapore is a major business and finance hub so it can be a good career move but obviously depends on your managers not being a bunch psychos like that

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
E: not just in the wring thread but the wrong website

Anchor Wanker fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 31, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Anchor Wanker posted:

E: not just in the wring thread but the wrong website

Impressive

Dumb poo poo my work did: scheduled a meeting for us to hear a guest speaker then cancelled it because they couldn't actually find a guest speaker

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I hate hourly stuff bc it's usually an attempt to cheap me out of money - a lot of my job is being available and waiting patiently so that when X comes my way I can shuffle it along ASAP. I'm kinda always coiled like a spring ready to jump into action, which I can only maintain and mentally afford to do bc every moment of my day isn't booked up solid. If I don't get rest in those in-between moments, it gets fatiguing VERY fast and I can't keep up the same level of attentiveness. Thats when things start falling through the cracks. So all my best managers have known not to overburden me if they want to keep me whip-fast.

Some places try to do the 'only bill when you've done work you can bill to a job' and gently caress yoooou availability is an asset, pay for my time waiting for you, you fucks!!

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

worked the weekend because a guy didn’t do his job

asked him to send an email after I was done

he instantly brought out ‘I’m having a mental break down’ and signed off

Unbelievable power move

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

VileLL posted:

worked the weekend because a guy didn’t do his job

asked him to send an email after I was done

he instantly brought out ‘I’m having a mental break down’ and signed off

Unbelievable power move

A good trash manager would tell him to have it on his own time and assign the lost time to unpaid time off.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
We had a big team meeting last night. Everyone is salty.

Highlights:

We now have to have a staff member on the floor at all times, you can’t even pop in and out of a room. Normally our morning tasks are done and dusted by 10:30 at the latest. It’s current 11:00 and we are about 2/3 done.

We now have to attend the morning meetings (because apparently we feel not part of the overall group which is news to us). Absolutely nothing related to us in anyway and it puts us 20 minutes behind at the start of the day.

On night shifts I have been doing a few small jobs that makes life easier for the oncoming morning people. These tasks are not part of my job but I have quiet periods at night. I was slapped on the wrist for not folding the washing (which also isn’t part of the night shift job) and told that a list of overnight jobs is being created for everyone on night shift to do. Nobody seemed to care I was the only one putting in extra effort,

One of my patients always gets up stupidly early, (heavy late stage dementia) management was asking why she wasn’t being showered and prepared for the day to make things quicker in the morning. Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough on my feet to point out this would leave the floor empty, which we were told we could no do under any circumstances.

We now HAVE to fill in the paperwork as well as the online end of shift report. Doubling the paperwork for something no one ever sees because they would have to work across campus to read it and instead they look up the shift report they can access from anywhere.

The lesson here is: Never try.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Extra row of tits posted:

The lesson here is: Never try.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker had another rant about taxes today. Ya know, this is the only country that punishes people who work hard and rewards people who don't. Back in his day, people used to help each other out. Not like today. Hmm.
I'm trying to convince him that getting another pension will push him to the next tax bracket.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker had another rant about taxes today. Ya know, this is the only country that punishes people who work hard and rewards people who don't. Back in his day, people used to help each other out. Not like today. Hmm.
I'm trying to convince him that getting another pension will push him to the next tax bracket.

Wasn’t the tax rate even higher “back in his day”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Dumb poo poo your work does: The lesson here is: Never try.