Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bent Fork is driving me mad trying to find a use case. "x1 to the pips of all sides" What does that even do?!

I mean...it multiplies the pips of all sides by 1. Pretty self explanatory, and completely useless.

A lot of them do literally nothing, but yeah some of them can be occasionally useful. Fly adds Growth and Decay to the left side, which can actually help if your hero has innate Decay on that side. Paper adds the nothing keyword to the left (Nothing: this keyword has no effect) but presumably it would buff Rainbow if you could get them on the same side.

It's cool that you can occasionally make something out of a dud item but enough of them are just bad that it's not worth going for level 0 items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Cyanide Pill is a powerful high risk/high reward buff if you have good right sides and Determination or Pentagram. You have a time limit of 2/4 turns, but until then you're a beast.

There are a few +HP/add penalty keyword items that synergize with Bowl, and it does negate a lot of curses. It's definitely super niche though, mostly you only see items that specialized at levels 1-2.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

the best level 0 is obviously Extra Pocket

i was so excited when i first got that

tbh though it's actually useful if you get a mirror

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bowl seems god-awful, but if I squint at it, it seems like a thing that's designed for curse runs (which might explain its surprisingly high level). Is that the main use case? You can take a curse that weakens you, and if you have the Bowl, the bowl hero is full strength? Otherwise it seems to do literally nothing beneficial.

Bowl specifically will revert arl Rusty Armor or Statuette, allowing you to keep the HP bonus without blanking your sides. There's other combos like that, but it doesn't do nothing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
My problem with bowl is that it's great at solving problems in Cursed mode and then goes away when you start a new loop but the curse sticks around.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

t0 items are intended to be around "-0.1 to +0.4" in strength compared to a t1 item. Though mostly they're just jokes because the UI creates itself if I can code the idea. The idea that the game is diligently multiply all these values by 1 is funny to me also!

Here's some more devlog-

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Other mobile games are never going to catch up at this rate

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Honestly one of the best games (mobile or otherwise). I think I've sold six copies now haha

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Oh how I long to play you. I might be more excited for this update than any other game this year.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tann posted:

t0 items are intended to be around "-0.1 to +0.4" in strength compared to a t1 item. Though mostly they're just jokes because the UI creates itself if I can code the idea. The idea that the game is diligently multiply all these values by 1 is funny to me also!

Gonna accidentally revolutionize mathematics by thinking too hard about the Bent Fork in a cell phone game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It multiplies all values... by fun! :)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We're just going to be stuck in an infinite loop of unlocking the same material with new stuff every time there's an update huh

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Imaginary bent fork, multiples all values by i

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hey Tann, I found a strange and possibly buggy interaction that is a bit too complex to report through the game.

You will need:

Dancer
Lich's Tome
Either the Shrink blessing or a way to get +2 on Dancer's left side.
An enemy that will not die to the Dancer's left side and no other enemies that will.

If you have this combination and use the Dancer die, no Bones will appear and the die will not be refreshed by rampage. So either the Bones is appearing and being instantly killed but this isn't triggering rampage, or Lich's Tome isn't summoning Bones in this one instance.

Note also that with the Shrink blessing if you have a 1HP Bones and a 2HP bones next to each other at the bottom of the lineup and you kill the 2HP Bones with a character equipped with the Tome, this will also not cause a new 2HP Bones to appear. Presumably the death triggers erase it, but it doesn't appear on screen at any point.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think what's happening there is that the new Bones appears before damage resolves, then gets instantly vaporized by the two existing Bones exploding. I've had that happen before too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think what's happening there is that the new Bones appears before damage resolves, then gets instantly vaporized by the two existing Bones exploding. I've had that happen before too.

In the latter case, yes. But in the former it's getting destroyed by the rampage die before it appears and then being treated as if it never existed.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Is it intentional that the Tw1n unit stays in the party after ending a loop during the Blursed game mode? I'm guessing not, because when the loop reset me back to stage 1, he was given a new starting grey class and for the rest of that game I just had 6 units at all times. Couldn't unequip items from the blue character because he was pushed off the edge of the UI.

I can't remember what I did to trigger this.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I can't remember what I did to trigger this.
It's pretty rare, you need to reroll the bonus hero with an event.

Jedit posted:

Lich's Tome
Paste is good for this sort of thing. I think it doesn't notice the dead enemy because it's created and destroyed as part of the action.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013
Ok, so I only just realized that there was actually a thread for this game here, and I only just got started with setting this up. Is there any particular things that I should be doing as a compete beginner?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Kaliedoscope posted:

Ok, so I only just realized that there was actually a thread for this game here, and I only just got started with setting this up. Is there any particular things that I should be doing as a compete beginner?

Have fun! Blue is overpowered. Lose a few games. Step up in difficulty as you win.

Floating mana is good. Doing damage is generally better than preventing damage.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The best advice I can give, and something I still occasionally struggle with is: Know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. I have lost more runs because my first and second rolls were boring and I ended up rolling 3 null side on my last reroll than anything else. Also, order of operations is so, so, so important. There are so many effects that interact with each other that can mean the same 5 dice and 3 spells can result in everything from a total party wipe to a complete victory. You have unlimited undos, use them. When you start out this can be as simple as "Apply damage dice first, then apply healing and shields". If you kill the enemy targeting your red hero after you saved them with shields, than those shields are wasted.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Arbetor posted:

The best advice I can give, and something I still occasionally struggle with is: Know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. I have lost more runs because my first and second rolls were boring and I ended up rolling 3 null side on my last reroll than anything else. Also, order of operations is so, so, so important. There are so many effects that interact with each other that can mean the same 5 dice and 3 spells can result in everything from a total party wipe to a complete victory. You have unlimited undos, use them. When you start out this can be as simple as "Apply damage dice first, then apply healing and shields". If you kill the enemy targeting your red hero after you saved them with shields, than those shields are wasted.

This is by far the most important advice anyone can offer for this game, and I will never follow it.

That one Cleave Charged Rampage side will come up next roll, I know it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) don't get so caught up in lunatic synergies that you forget the value of smacking someone for 3 damage
2) poison good, cleanse also good
3) order of operations is important, including what order you equip items in.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is by far the most important advice anyone can offer for this game, and I will never follow it.

That one Cleave Charged Rampage side will come up next roll, I know it

Arbetor posted:

CubicalSucrose posted:

Have fun! Blue is overpowered. Lose a few games. Step up in difficulty as you win.

Floating mana is good. Doing damage is generally better than preventing damage.

YggiDee posted:

1) don't get so caught up in lunatic synergies that you forget the value of smacking someone for 3 damage
2) poison good, cleanse also good
3) order of operations is important, including what order you equip items in.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll start a run and see how I do by simply focusing on smashing my enemies with a big stick for now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I am an idiot for thinking this was a good idea to attempt. Observe, my folly:

Zero damage, zero kills, total pacifist run.

Fortunately, I discovered that summoned enemies who are sitting in the reinforcement queue do not count towards the total HP value needed to cause the enemy to flee. It took a surprisingly small number of attempts. I nearly lost it a couple of times on this run and wasn't sure I would be able to make it due to almost all my item choices being trash for what I was doing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
lmao those stats are truly something else. Four hours

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

In my defence, they weren't contiguous. It's not a very good defence mind you.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm not great at reading final run images for anything, how'd this all work exactly?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

I'm not great at reading final run images for anything, how'd this all work exactly?

Self buffing the party HP until it gets to the point where the enemies run away.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Lemony posted:

Zero damage, zero kills, total pacifist run.

Fortunately, I discovered that summoned enemies who are sitting in the reinforcement queue do not count towards the total HP value needed to cause the enemy to flee. It took a surprisingly small number of attempts. I nearly lost it a couple of times on this run and wasn't sure I would be able to make it due to almost all my item choices being trash for what I was doing.

i would have kept restarting until a Friendship Bracelet dropped (for those unaware: tier 2 item that makes it so enemies flee at 5x hp instead of the default 10x)

this must have been painful

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Raine posted:

i would have kept restarting until a Friendship Bracelet dropped (for those unaware: tier 2 item that makes it so enemies flee at 5x hp instead of the default 10x)

this must have been painful

I did have a number of restarts. There were definitely certain blessings/items I was looking for before trying to make a serious attempt. The run before the successful one was going well purely off of having the blessing giving growth on all sides. Unsurprisingly, when you are looking at that many turns, growth gets really good. It died on that rear end in a top hat boss that turns all your sides into single use. I didn't even bother playing the fight out.

In this case, I'd gotten the increase in healing and focus on all sides. I don't think it would have been possible without focus, since that allowed me to effectively double all my sides as often as possible. That, combined with the Herbalist growth granting side (which I usually don't value at all), boost and that one that gives a party wide vitality, meant it could have been way worse. I'd often be adding 10-20 max HP per turn, and it wasn't unusual to end a fight with 20-30 regen on every party member.

I was really hoping to get a Friendship Bracelet, since it would have effectively cut enemy HP in half for the purposes of the run. Failing that, I was also hoping to get a Siphon (Replace middle side with Heal 0, Vitality, Flesh, Pain), since HP growth with that is pretty easy to set up to be exponential if you have the party member using it target themselves over and over. All you need is something that also makes it self heal and you double your HP every time you use it.

tann, I want to say this is a great game and it was worth every penny I paid for it. It would have been nice to have something that compresses extremely high HP amounts on the UI. Maybe something like having 20 or 30 display like normal, but the first box also has a number for all the additional HP. I'm not likely to ever attempt this particular gimmick run again, but it did get genuinely hard to read anything on the character information because the whole column was a haze of HP bars overlapping one another.

Also, I'm very slightly disappointed there wasn't a secret achievement for it. I didn't really expect there to be one, but I would have found it funny.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

I'm glad there are people crazy enough to do this kind of thing

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's such a joy to see people pushing the limits of what can be done in a game. Getting to the heart of play.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Now do it non-Heaven.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Lemony posted:

This seemed fun to attempt, and after several weeks of on and off trying...

Turns out fanatic suicides count as kills.

:doh:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

dregan posted:

This seemed fun to attempt, and after several weeks of on and off trying...

Turns out fanatic suicides count as kills.

:doh:

I definitely found there were a few hard check run killers. On the plus side, if you make it to the final boss, Hexia is dead easy.

I'm also entertained by how much faster you were able to go through. Siphon is an absolutely amazing item for the gimmick, since you can exponentially spike your HP growth with it.

I've actually made a few attempts at this on normal difficulty. I think it is technically possible, but would require some really specific item and level up rolls. For instance, I suspect Siphon would be almost mandatory to keep up with scaling.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Not that it's the worst thing in the world re-unlocking everything but I assume if my phone got wiped I've gotta re-unlock everything?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Hammer Bro. posted:

Not that it's the worst thing in the world re-unlocking everything but I assume if my phone got wiped I've gotta re-unlock everything?

I believe there's an unlock all toggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there is, yeah. that said if you only had some things unlocked i dont think theres any individual toggles