Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Confusedslight posted:

Thank you Rebecca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The end of the world is gonna be both devastatingly fast and frustratingly slow.

We should take the edge off by joining the SAW league. Come and fight to be heard, and spread the word of imminent collapse with a BELT IN YOUR HAND!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036635

Watch as !!!!A.I.!!!!!! (good buzzword) battles it out in your likeness, crushing your posting enemies with piledrivers and ddts and chairs,, while goons look on, bet, and call for you to be compressed into the mat!

*I don't officially represent SAW league, far from it I've been given the Ring of Shame GOATSE shirt. And Harold Fjord has been a good tag partner but he better PRAY I pass it off before our match in two weeks, otherwise its pinned on him!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

no

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Taima posted:

Wow, so I've posted at length about El Nino in this thread. You can view my other posts for that information.

Some really crazy poo poo has been happening right now with that:

This is huge. I won't even bother explaining what this chart is, all you need to know is that we are currently in the beginning to mid stages of a second major supercharge cycle for this year's El Nino.

It's going to be a pretty crazy winter if the rest of this active event verifies like the model is charting (and it's been doing pretty good, so I think it will, but we'll see)!

It will take several weeks to see the warm water hit the Galapagos area (known colloquially as nino 1.2 region) but it's going to charge us up right as we go into fall. Woo baby.

Unless something seriously changes, we are looking at the strongest classic-style (far EP based canonical) El Nino event since 1997. Only real question in my mind at this point is how much it will grow from here. After 3 years of La Nina, there is a LOT of latent warm water in the west pacific to push east. Therefore the top level cap on how strong this El Nino can be, is VERY high.

I'm pretty sad that I chose this year to move from CA to Seattle cuz I would love to be in the thick of it.

The entire world is going to feel the power of this event, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

I have no idea what the squiggles mean but I believe in Impending Doom :hai:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

celadon posted:

uh huh so we only need to immiserate like seven hundred thousand more children and we'll be cooking with gas, so to speak

wait, that's it? that's all we need to do to solve this thing? there's millions and millions of immiserated children right now! pretty sure even if you count only the ones that are considered to be literal actual honest-to-god slaves you've got way more than we need. and if we somehow need more, immiserated children are a commodity i definitely have no doubt our current economic can produce more of very efficiently

and here i was worrying for nothing

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lmao well gently caress

everyone mentioning 1997 and El Nino and how California was... I have a very different memory of that year here in eastern Ontario, with it conjuring up the 97-98 winter ice storm that hosed power for ages in the middle of winter

I uh just clued in that I should google the origins of that, because well bigass Pacific climate event the same year?

yep they're related

https://www.weather.gov/btv/25th-Anniversary-of-the-Devastating-1998-Ice-Storm-in-the-Northeast

quote:

January 5, 2023 – This week marks the 25th Anniversary of the 1998 Ice Storm that devastated parts of northern New England, northern New York and especially the St. Lawrence River valley of Canada from January 5th through January 9th, 1998.

This storm had historic impacts across northern New York, northern New England and southeast Canada due to the prolonged duration of the event, magnitude of the ice accretion and precipitation amounts. Although the actual weather event lasted from January 5th-9th, the impacts and recovery efforts of power restoration, clearing debris and “returning to normal” lasted weeks, even months for those hardest impacted.

The most infamous aspect of this storm was the destructive ice accumulation of up to 4 inches (100 mm) in portions of northern New York and southeast Canada, with heavy ice accumulation of 3/4-2 inches across portions of northern New England (Figure 1). In addition, the amount of liquid equivalent precipitation that fell across the region during these five days, including more than 5 inches of rain in the Black River Valley in upstate New York, led to major flooding.

Some of the devastating impacts included the power grid with hundreds of large transmission towers toppled, thousands of poles snapped and utility lines downed resulting in millions of without power, some for longer than 2 weeks. The agriculture industry suffered great losses immediate and long term. Local farmers suffered many losses from structural damage due to ice loading, tons of lost milk production and losses of cattle due to the inability to milk. Additionally, thousands of maple and apple trees were damaged or destroyed that had significant impacts for years due to lost crops. Moreover, millions of acres of forests were damaged or destroyed by this event.

Storm damage estimates for this storm were more than $4 billion ($1.4B in the U.S.) with approximately 40 fatalities. This was and is still today the only billion dollar natural disaster to impact northern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine since 1980.

This historic winter storm had its origins from a strong El-Nino pattern that was influencing weather patterns during the winter of 1997-98. Moderate to strong El-Nino patterns are famous for their impacts across the West coast of the United States, especially California.

time to start to prepare for a bad winter

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's really really upsetting about news like this is that I know, from my first 20 years of life, that chuds and moderates alike look at this kind of tragedy and think everything from "serves them right for [worshiping Allah/being generically brown]" to "oh thank goodness others are below me to take the hits in my place."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lmao well gently caress

everyone mentioning 1997 and El Nino and how California was... I have a very different memory of that year here in eastern Ontario, with it conjuring up the 97-98 winter ice storm that hosed power for ages in the middle of winter

I uh just clued in that I should google the origins of that, because well bigass Pacific climate event the same year?

yep they're related

https://www.weather.gov/btv/25th-Anniversary-of-the-Devastating-1998-Ice-Storm-in-the-Northeast

Okay but have you considered that

Ice Storm + 1.5°C warming = nice storm?

Checkmate, doomailures :agesilaus:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

What's really really upsetting about news like this is that I know, from my first 20 years of life, that chuds and moderates alike look at this kind of tragedy and think everything from "serves them right for [worshiping Allah/being generically brown]" to "oh thank goodness others are below me to take the hits in my place."

it was 4 days ago, i'm sure everything is fine now

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

mdemone posted:

someone from my academic past asked me today to level with him about my best advice

take cover

what does taking cover look like here?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

username post combo

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Blockade posted:

what does taking cover look like here?

taking cover obliquely refers to stealing tarps, the only protection you can rely on in the various grim futures ahead

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

can we get some loving snow this winter then

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

not a problem, the vast majority of economic value is produced indoors

power goes out

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I know things seem bad but for a few sweet years the overlap of the extended El Nino and the collapse of the AMOC will result in climate conditions that scientists describe as the "Cool Zone".

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Taima posted:

I won't even bother explaining what this chart is, all you need to know is that we are currently in the beginning to mid stages of a second major supercharge cycle for this year's El Nino.

can you actually bother explaining what the chart is? i'd like to be able to interpret that in the future, tbh

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

global warming is going to be memory holed again this fall, so I wouldn’t worry about any of this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lots of posts mansplaining at the woman “credited with paving the way for the coining of the word mansplaining” as per her wikipedia article

(honestly i think she falls into the category of probably on the right side of things except lives in the Bay Area and thus infected with techie brain. If you don’t know anything about carbon capture or green tech or whatever it is easy to believe the hype when everyone you meet repeats it to you.)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
looks like the x-axis is longitude, primary coloration is velocity, but i don't know which direction the velocity axis is in reference to. So it's an unwrapped slice around the equator, I assume? Y-axis is time, so every horizontal line is a different unrolled equator at the indicated date. If you track those diagonal tracks, that's a batch of wind speed that's moving as a block through time.

no idea what the overplotted ellipses/curves are, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Demon Of The Fall posted:

oh my God, we solved climate change and first world brain worms

we did it

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
So we'll have a blue ocean event sometime before 2040, but they're predicting the shutdown of the AMOC in short order thereafter, which would refreeze the Arctic? And give Europe a couple more decent years maybe? At least if your house can handle a real winter

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I didn't think the AMOC needed blue ocean to shut down. Source: I have formerly worked on sea and land ice paleoclimate models.

edit: like, we used to not factor land ice loss into models before ~2014 but we have since and it's clear that land ice plays a much more dramatic role in Total Fuckumage than previously appreciated

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Jul 30, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I want this to all stop

I am so tired

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress we're all going to die

no you don't understand, we're going to die. climate change is the gun but most people don't even understand what the bullet is yet. ocean acidification.

extreme weather is fun and all and that'll kill millions and displace billions, leaving easily a quarter of humanity mostly from the global south at the hands of terrified first worlders and their rising fascism, but that's just bruises. climate change is the gun and ocean acidification is the bullet that will do the actual reaping

please do everything you can to make it stop

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

like, we're hosed

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

somebody

do something!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm doing my part *turns the fan from hi to lo*

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Vote.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've stopped putting plastic in the recycle bin

I'll still take the bottles back for my 10c though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress we're all going to die

no you don't understand, we're going to die. climate change is the gun but most people don't even understand what the bullet is yet. ocean acidification.

extreme weather is fun and all and that'll kill millions and displace billions, leaving easily a quarter of humanity mostly from the global south at the hands of terrified first worlders and their rising fascism, but that's just bruises. climate change is the gun and ocean acidification is the bullet that will do the actual reaping

please do everything you can to make it stop

The ocean isn't indoors so I wouldn't worry about it acidifying, the economy won't be affected. So don't worry about it. Don't worry. It's fine. No need to worry.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Hubbert posted:

somebody

do something!

*whacks off furiously*

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the ocean should just go lie down in a dark room for a couple hours until the acidification wears off

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mola Yam posted:

*whacks off furiously*

No! No more emissions! :mad:

Griz
May 21, 2001

56 degrees in upstate NY, dew point 54, everything feels sort of cold and damp

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this could go in so many threads lol

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1685368998152593408

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Potato Salad posted:

I want this to all stop

I am so tired

Don't worry! Did that help make you feel better?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Does building up your tolerance to heat reduce your tolerance to cold

I need to know which stat is best to put my points in.

Can I just go for tolerance to water? I think on balance that will be most useful

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

As time goes on we'll screw up more and more local weather systems and trigger more tipping points, and the discourse will still be "oh if we just do this, this and this, we can reverse the damage." And we'll keep saying that while doing absolutely nothing until there's nothing left to screw up.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There will be a booming economy of death and lol's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Don't worry, your body can build up a tolerance to misery.