Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I doubt that. Demand for electric models has outstripped supply for several years now and will probably continue to for some time. Car sales may slow but EVs will still represent a growing percentage of new sales.

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/10/unsold-electric-cars-are-piling-up-on-dealer-lots

92 days supply is a lot, and unless we see factories start getting idled right now that number is going to keep going up.

The biggest impact on the EV market as a whole though is going to be if Tesla keeps building cars and how much incentive they put on already built stock. I've seen some new baser Model 3s going for $4k off sticker, which is wild compared to the last few years.

Is Tesla going to put $10k on the hood of a Model 3 like Ford has done with F150s for decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The unsold EVs are overpriced, HTH.

It takes a while until dealerships understand this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Tesla chat really brings the best/worst out of us.

It’s nice to see Ford bring the cost of their Lightnings back down, too bad interest rates are too high to responsibly finance even half the cost.

Depending on your state, Ford is offering to finance at, IIRC, 1.8%

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

You are overly focused on an irrelevant detail. If I go back and edit my posts will you stop weeping about poo poo that doesn't matter?

Some other dude says they're just using the EPA estimate.
You say that none of their cars have an EPA estimate that high so its fraud.
Multiple people point out that you're wrong.
You double down by saying you're just posting facts.
When you're forced to admit that you're wrong you say that what you were wrong about is irrelevant.

Just stop.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Tesla engineer said that the CEO told them to fudge the numbers in the software. I just want Tesla to change their software back, to stop fudging their numbers. I don't want any manufacturer to fudge their numbers. This shouldn't be a controversial or unfair opinion :shrug:

I already edited the post with the incorrect (and irrelevant) detail. Can you stop riding Elon Musk's dick for a moment and think about whether it's a good or bad thing for manufacturers to fudge their numbers?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 29, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I much prefer to drop in when this thread is weird, not a slapfight thats been going on for a day.

Move on please

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I think we're coming up on a tipping point, where people watching their friends and coworkers drive EVs every day and not have any issues, and supply finally catching demand, which will lead to a lot more cheaper used EVs is going to start driving mass adoption.

Also, didn't want to drill the ID.4's front bumper, so I bought this thing on Etsy.

Tried the high mount config first, didn't like it since it rubbed on the painted part of the bumper.

Everything fits pretty good for a 3D printed chunk of plastic.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 29, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I think we're coming up on a tipping point, where people watching their friends and coworkers drive EVs every day and not have any issues, and supply finally catching demand, which will lead to a lot more cheaper used EVs is going to start driving mass adoption.

I wish I had your optimism. Landlords, apartment buildings, and city streets severely lack the capacity for significant EV charging at the moment.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, I've told a bunch of people curious about my EV that if they can't charge at home then don't get an EV.

I also tell them I'm never going back to ICE because EVs with at home charging are so much more convenient for daily commuting.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys I have a BMW X5 45e and I'm going to get a L2 charger installed in my garage. I don't really need it for every day driving but my garage has a dumb setup for wiring where the only plug I can use for the L1 charger can barely handle L1 charging amps and I don't want to burn my house down, so I may as well get it set up and future proof for my next vehicle which is likely to be a full EV.

I was initially set on getting an Emporia or Grizzl-e wall box, but it seems the Tesla wall charger gets pretty good reviews and isn't super expensive, plus it can do up to 48a. So I'm thinking about doing a Tesla wall charger instead. Here are my considerations:

The BMW maxes out at 9.6kw, so 48a isn't an advantage over 40a. It's just future proofing at this point.
Tesla is only available as a hardwire. This isn't a huge deal for me presently as I don't have anything right now so I will need to install something anyway, but I'm also thinking of getting some extra outlets put in along my garage wall at the same time.
The Tesla wallbox that's set up for the Tesla plug is essentially the same price as anything else, and I think I can get a Tesla to J1772 adaptor for maybe $50. Also, it's likely that the next vehicle will use a Tesla plug anyway.

Thoughts? Should I get the Tesla charger or stick with my original plan of an Emporia or Grizzl-e?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Go for the Tesla, imo. Nothing wrong with the other options though, as you pointed out NACS/J1772 adapters are common, going either way, and you'll want one for the car anyways.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The unsold EVs are overpriced, HTH.

It takes a while until dealerships understand this.

Yea, the article explicitly calls out that vehicles that are either too expensive to receive tax credits or that don’t qualify due to being imported are the ones sitting the longest.

Tesla’s price cuts and the relatively recent change to the tax credit regime coupled with supply chains starting to get fixed mean that a lot of these vehicles are simply mispriced now. People still want to buy EVs they just don’t want to pay Covid times prices for them.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have a lead foot and I still often get the EPA range.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Get the Tesla HPWC, it is pretty much the least expensive L2 EVSE with its capabilities. Because Tesla offloads pretty much all the "smart" features like scheduling to the vehicle, the HPWC is inexpensive and robust because it is so simple. The only work it has to do is load balancing which isn't even relevant to a single unit install and is just using the standard J1772 signalling to make the vehicle do the work for it anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Costco had some wallbox chargers on sale last time I saw but i can’t remember how much they were going for (or how much the tesla ones sell for nowadays)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys I have a BMW X5 45e and I'm going to get a L2 charger installed in my garage. I don't really need it for every day driving but my garage has a dumb setup for wiring where the only plug I can use for the L1 charger can barely handle L1 charging amps and I don't want to burn my house down, so I may as well get it set up and future proof for my next vehicle which is likely to be a full EV.

I was initially set on getting an Emporia or Grizzl-e wall box, but it seems the Tesla wall charger gets pretty good reviews and isn't super expensive, plus it can do up to 48a. So I'm thinking about doing a Tesla wall charger instead. Here are my considerations:

The BMW maxes out at 9.6kw, so 48a isn't an advantage over 40a. It's just future proofing at this point.
Tesla is only available as a hardwire. This isn't a huge deal for me presently as I don't have anything right now so I will need to install something anyway, but I'm also thinking of getting some extra outlets put in along my garage wall at the same time.
The Tesla wallbox that's set up for the Tesla plug is essentially the same price as anything else, and I think I can get a Tesla to J1772 adaptor for maybe $50. Also, it's likely that the next vehicle will use a Tesla plug anyway.

Thoughts? Should I get the Tesla charger or stick with my original plan of an Emporia or Grizzl-e?

I have a griz with a J1772 but my car is a Tesla how about you buy the Tesla charger and we swap

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Anecdotally, I enjoy my Emporia Charger, but I haven’t had it long enough to really speak to the reliability. I got one of their home energy monitors too which is very nifty.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Unless I'm misunderstanding, next year, the 3750/7500 credit will be baked in at purchase of a car instead of waiting until tax time. Maybe some people are also waiting for that too. :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know anything about the other two, but I've seen a spat of bad reviews recently from people with Grizzl-e chargers failing after a year or two.

If your car can't use more than 40A anyway, my personal preference would be to get a new 14-50 socket installed and then buy a charger that plugs into that. Hard wiring for only 40A seems like you're getting the worst of both worlds

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If outside gets too hot your Tesla will auto drive into the pool

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvTIm3oNbEL

I mean can’t blame it, 110 is hot AF.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 30, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know anything about the other two, but I've seen a spat of bad reviews recently from people with Grizzl-e chargers failing after a year or two.

If your car can't use more than 40A anyway, my personal preference would be to get a new 14-50 socket installed and then buy a charger that plugs into that. Hard wiring for only 40A seems like you're getting the worst of both worlds

It's pretty trivial to swap a hardwired charger, or to swap in a 14-50 later, as long as the wiring's there.

Russian Bear posted:

If outside gets too hot your Tesla will auto drive into the pool

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvTIm3oNbEL

I mean can’t blame it, 110 is hot AF.

"Ingenious self-cooling feature!"

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Fake news, everyone knows as soon as your Tezler battery gets wet it erupts in a nuclear meltdown

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do you guys decide what mode to drive your cars in? Today my partner said that our Kona accelerates like poo poo compared to Teslas. But that’s almost definitely because we ride exclusively in eco mode. I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d opt for normal or sport mode and lose a few miles of range.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I like getting onto a freeway at speed whenever I like.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

QuarkJets posted:

If I were to hardwire it would be for 48a, with the thicker gauge wiring and 60a breaker.

Seems like the Tesla charger is the way to go, but I still feel a bit weird getting a new charger that doesn't have the right connector for the car and then having to immediately use a Tesla to j1776 adapter which is weirdly super expensive. I'm not going to get a J1776 tesla charger because those are more expensive and there's no point if everyone is going to tesla anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vegetable posted:

How do you guys decide what mode to drive your cars in? Today my partner said that our Kona accelerates like poo poo compared to Teslas. But that’s almost definitely because we ride exclusively in eco mode. I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d opt for normal or sport mode and lose a few miles of range.

Could also be because the Kona has either 133 or 201 hp depending on trim and a Model 3 LR has 350+.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vegetable posted:

lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I put my Kona into whatever the fastest-sounding mode was called and it still accelerates like poo poo compared to any other EV I've ridden in. It accelerates faster than a typical 4-cylinder ICE but not by much

If I'm going on a long road trip I might put it into eco mode, but I usually don't even bother doing that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I drive in chill 95% of the time, it makes it easier to feather the pedal for comfort. I only turn off chill when I'm going on a road trip and might want passing oomph

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I came here to discuss my love of the electric motor, but so far all I'm seeing is a slap fight. I'll try again in a couple of weeks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What current vehicles can take advantage of 48a L2 charging?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

2019 model S/x, Lightning, hummer

Edit: rivians, lucid????

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Porsches have an option to go up to 80A charging if I recall correctly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Polestar 2 and Rivian, at least

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
eGMP vehicles are about 45 amps I believe. 10.9kW

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Throatwarbler posted:

Ioniq 5, although apparently not necessarily for several hours, you might get throttled from overheating.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Throatwarbler posted:

Most 2023 stellantis cars can go 11kw AC, Renault-Nissan alliance can usually go 22kw AC.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SlowBloke posted:

Most 2023 stellantis cars can go 11kw AC, Renault-Nissan alliance can usually go 22kw AC.

The Ariya is 11kW and the Leaf 6.6 (or lower, Japanese ones are still 3.6 or something)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

The Ariya is 11kW and the Leaf 6.6 (or lower, Japanese ones are still 3.6 or something)

Ariya is 22kW in Europe, I would guess they didn't add the three phase part on the US bound units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The (2022+, I think?) Chevy Bolt, of all fuckin' things.