Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Halisnacks posted:

Another small detail I just recalled: when the Kens are explaining finance to the Barbies, it’s all about bonds and CDs, in line with the more dated stereotypes of masculinity in Gloria’s head, rather than stonks/crypto.

I think it works for the film, but I guess I don’t really get why Gloria’s view of masculinity would have crystallised so sharply as (presumably) a young child. She’s a millennial woman who stopped forming opinions of what it means to be masculine despite growing up and living in LA, dating and finding a partner, working in a corporate environment, having a kid, etc.?

Making fun of Matchbox 20, 90’s fashion and pre-crypto finance bro stuff cushions the blow of the jokes made at men’s expense. It’s all so far in the past that nobody’s going to take it personally, and lets men laugh at themselves too

Which is why the Zack Snyder joke was like swatting a bee’s nest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Loved it even though it was a built around early 2010's heteronormative feminism, but hey gotta start somewhere. Lowest point was the grimy Mattel corporate self-asphyxiation masturbatory script interjections. "We're an evil corporation, so self aware, so silly and harmless, please don't expect us to change in any way!"

As a dude, the scenes deprecating obnoxious male tendencies could've hurt so much more if it hadn't leaned on 90's stereotypes of masculinity. As others were saying, bring up NFT's and other stuff that's more recent. If the goal was to twist the dagger, it kinda missed the current wave of Tate-bros and wound up sticking their Gen-X fathers.

No matter what, there are gonna be some VERY happy Barbie collectors out there after this movie. It was so blatantly tailored to increase the value of NIB Barbie originals that it almost felt like a project of insider trading.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The movie’s not aiming to skewer guys, just some light ribbing so that they’ll be on board with the rest of the film

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023

Steve Yun posted:

The movie’s not aiming to skewer guys, just some light ribbing so that they’ll be on board with the rest of the film

True. I can't help mansplaining to a woman how to do something even when that something is depicting mansplaining. :doh:

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

The bros and I enjoyed tagging ourselves as the different mansplaining Kens. I’m obviously Godfather Ken, but most of my friends are Certificate of Deposit Kens

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/pushpins_/status/1684602819607736320?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Absolutely loved the movie. I can’t believing I’m saying this, but just wished there were more musical numbers. Movie is consistently funny and gosling really steals the show.

My only hang up was at one point the movie points out many women hate the brand and idea itself for the unrealistic standards it sets in place, yet there’s an obese Barbie?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Plus Size Barbie is a very recent addition to the toy line

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Absolutely loved the movie. I can’t believing I’m saying this, but just wished there were more musical numbers. Movie is consistently funny and gosling really steals the show.

My only hang up was at one point the movie points out many women hate the brand and idea itself for the unrealistic standards it sets in place, yet there’s an obese Barbie?

You are SO right about the musical numbers. They were fantastic and I desperately wanted more.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Rise of the Blackshirts Ken obviously the best song.

Is there a Truth and Reconciliation Barbie?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
The huge theatre I went to see it at ran out of Coke and popcorn and the cops were there to control the crowds, that was how nuts it was.

Anyways, loved it. If I had to make a complaint it would be that I think it would be that the executives didn't really add a lot to the movie. Probably a lot of stuff with them could have been cut. Other than that, holy poo poo, incredible.

Everyone killed it. Weird Barbie was a high-water mark, for me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

K! Death! is going to be bouncing around my head for the rest of time.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Rarity posted:

Plus Size Barbie is a very recent addition to the toy line

And one that hasn't been very popular, if sales are to be believed. But that's a valid point- there are a few black, Asian and plus sized Barbies (even Wheelchair Ken makes an appearance) but it is mostly a sea of white. And yet they felt the need to make a smallpox joke.

That was the low point of the movie for me, honestly- a small thing, but one of those "makes me madder the more I think about it" things because the metaphor is so bad. Oh yes, a social contagion of the patriarchy where everyone dresses and speaks like a tool is exactly the same as a genocide tactic that killed millions of people! This is very witty, and doesn't make the writers look like assholes at all!

But generally I liked the movie, and think people should see it; I am a true sucker for both colorful fantasias and the very Pratchett idea of non-human characters "catching" humanity, in both good and bad ways. But I'm tired, so Letterboxd review is here if you would like to know more: https://letterboxd.com/resurgam40/film/barbie/1/

Also, here's a good video on how Gerwig didn't go into the weeds about criticizing Mattel, and kind of couldn't if she wanted to maintain the easy, comedic tone the movie had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RToUZJ0l7Pk

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I would’ve loved it if that scene was just idiot bros explaining NFTs. Hopefully poorly.

That goes against the entire point of the film, where the Kens do not do anything truly bad. Like, " I wear a fur coat, I'm annoying". Who gives a poo poo? Their cultural behaviours are not grounded in actual inequality, which the film carefully avoids addressing at any point.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 30, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenMetalSun posted:

The huge theatre I went to see it at ran out of Coke and popcorn and the cops were there to control the crowds, that was how nuts it was.

I went to see it today for a morning show and it was actually hard to get tickets because so many of the showings were mostly sold out or just had terrible seats left. Also I saw a couple of young women still dressing up for it.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Saw it yesterday and both Barbie & Oppenheimer were still packed. Lots of people dressing in Pink.

Barbie was a romp. The Matrix references, particularly the scene where she is going through different doors and ends up talking to her creator, are great.

The movie has a lot of different dimensions and depth to the plot. I didn't know what to expect going into it, I had only seen the first teaser (which I forgot about until after I saw the movie) and it surprised me.

Conservatives losing their minds about how it about enslaving men and whatever other projects is ridiculous. This film clearly loves men. I'm bringing my Kenergy out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Mr Lanternfly posted:

True. I can't help mansplaining to a woman how to do something even when that something is depicting mansplaining. :doh:

My wife elbowed me hard during the mansplaining part, on my end I just love explaining things to everyone though I've learned to pipe down about it to my wife over the years. But unlike the guy in the Chinese theater that just stormed off in a huff I can laugh at myself about it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GreenMetalSun posted:

Anyways, loved it. If I had to make a complaint it would be that I think it would be that the executives didn't really add a lot to the movie. Probably a lot of stuff with them could have been cut. Other than that, holy poo poo, incredible.

Everyone killed it. Weird Barbie was a high-water mark, for me.

I'll allow them for the oh, her ghost keeps an office on the 12th floor joke

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Did anyone catch the “political statement” that the Dad appropriated at the end when Barbie was getting out of the car?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Did anyone catch the “political statement” that the Dad appropriated at the end when Barbie was getting out of the car?

I think he said si se puede which was used as the Spanish translation of Obama’s “Yes We Can,” but the phrase in American politics goes back to Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta agitating for farm labor rights

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Si si puede

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Steve Yun posted:

Making fun of Matchbox 20, 90’s fashion and pre-crypto finance bro stuff cushions the blow of the jokes made at men’s expense. It’s all so far in the past that nobody’s going to take it personally, and lets men laugh at themselves too

Which is why the Zack Snyder joke was like swatting a bee’s nest

Now that I've seen the movie, I'm surprised there wasn't at least one Gamer Ken obsessed with First Person Shooters, though in one shot it looks like Gosling Ken has a controller on his belt loop?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One of the execs scrambling through the Omaha Beach scene reacts like he got shot but I didn't see one of those kiddie suction cup darts so it got me wondering if there was some Ken strapped with a toy gun that pointed it at him offscreen and yelled "bang!"

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Pfbc1542Q

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
These takes will never cease to be hilarious
https://twitter.com/ZacharyW_Clark/status/1684207396531363840?t=RnHiKSD_kn7k2aoiXYtfKA&s=19

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
That is an accurate take, they're just conflating Gloria with the director because of their own personal hangups.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Panfilo posted:

My wife elbowed me hard during the mansplaining part, on my end I just love explaining things to everyone though I've learned to pipe down about it to my wife over the years. But unlike the guy in the Chinese theater that just stormed off in a huff I can laugh at myself about it.

The trick is, though, that the Ken dolls only act condescendingly when the ‘deprogrammed’ Barbie dolls pretend to be ignorant. There’s a kind of fundamental incompatibility between the fantasy and the reality that people are overlooking.

Like, when Gloria uses her heartfelt speeches to induce cognitive dissonance, she’s talking about things that her audience of Barbie dolls has never actually experienced. She’s pushing these cartoon fantasy characters into imagining human hardship because they otherwise don’t comprehend it. Being immortal robots, they would be perfectly happy serving up limitless imaginary beers forever.

Gloria has to introduce the pain of reality into this perfect system because, well… what are the stakes again? That the Barbie brand will be discontinued?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Give Mojo Dojo Casa House a chance

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I rewatched You've Got Mail recently and there's a scene about mansplaining The Godfather. I wonder where that joke first appeared.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Went and saw it again. Sold out show. Was even better the 2nd time around.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GateOfD posted:

any watchers actually had the toys, were you like "ohhh" when seeing ones you had as a kid that were thrown in the background thru out the movie
Totally. I didn't own Growing Up Skipper, but I sure remember her. And some of the outfits I'm pretty sure I owned, although most of them are after my Barbie-buying years.

Also I squeed out loud when the old lady introduced herself as Ruth.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Saw this yesterday with my two kids (13 and 11)

It was an absolute riot, such a good movie. Not at all what I expected going in.

Lots of folks dressed in pink for our cinema too (and lots of the same hanging around when I went to see Oppenheimer the other day too)

Back to Barbie, did anyone else expect there to be a reveal at the end that the old woman at the bus stop that shares a moment with Barbie when she first enters the real world was going to be Ruth’s daughter or something like that?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No, Barbie is a regular film and not like the incestuous world of Star Wars where there’s constant callbacks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There was a rumour the old lady was played by Barbie Handler but it turned out to be false

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Gloria has to introduce the pain of reality into this perfect system because, well… what are the stakes again? That the Barbie brand will be discontinued?
The stakes are that without breaking the rule of Kens, Ken dolls instead of Barbie dolls will sell like hotcakes and set feminism back 50 years

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I had the unfortunate ‘I heard the stories, but it finally happened to me’ event and had to sit next to a mom with a crying baby next to me the whole movie. She even freaking tried to use her phone to make some ding ding noises on her cellphone to calm her down. She dropped it a few times too. Didn’t bother trying to help her pick it back up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sounds like the baby was having none of the feminist messaging the movie was trying to push on it.

I await the baby's TwitterX thread about it being so "woke."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
movie told me I shouldn't mansplain to her that bringing a crying baby into a theater was rude.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
We’re not talking enough about how funny Ryan Gosling is while singing “Push.” The pronunciation choices. The faces. It’s a comedic masterclass. That should be his Oscar clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Gosling seemed to genuinely enjoy ripping apart every stereotypical stoic masculine role he's ever played before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqs7857hksM