Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

fake news about the bridge??

The bridge is fine. Everything is fine. Even during the bombing the Crimean holidayers are enjoying themselves.

*Three seconds later*

And there are beds available for long term stays if the vacationers wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The bridge is fine. Everything is fine. Even during the bombing the Crimean holidayers are enjoying themselves.

*Three seconds later*

And there are beds available for long term stays if the vacationers wish.

oh i just misunderstood you, nevermind!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Igor Sushko is the definition of [citation needed], even more than wherever Gigolo gets his stuff.

lol yeah it did seem like that. supposedly the source are leaked FSB letters?? but you have to sub to look at them.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lol yeah it did seem like that. supposedly the source are leaked FSB letters?? but you have to sub to look at them.

the fsb letters are the aforementioned clancy fanfiction i brought up earlier

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Dandywalken posted:

fragments found in the wreckage had the letters "H" "R" and "C"....

Concerning! :elon:

Willo567 posted:

I don't know why you all think it's a false flag when recently when there's a horrific attack on Ukraine and Zelensky vows retaliation, there's a drone attack on Moscow. Also, what building did they hit?

I don't really claim to know or even have a best guess one way or another, but given that 1) it's hundreds of km from Ukraine to Moscow 2) I assume it's difficult to smuggle those drones into the vicinity of Moscow 3) Russia has done false flags before to drum up war sentiment, it's not completely out of left field.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

the fsb letters are the aforementioned clancy fanfiction i brought up earlier

hunter's laptop chock full of FSB letters that *they* don't want you to read

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

appropriatemetaphor posted:

hunter's laptop chock full of FSB letters that *they* don't want you to read

surprising amount of FSB communiques regarding hunter's hog. then again,

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

ROJO posted:

Is it odd to anyone else that only a single floor of windows appears blown out? I would expect an external drone strike of the size shown in the video to affect multiple floors and be more centralized vs. strung out laterally.

no jet fuel.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

Concerning! :elon:

I don't really claim to know or even have a best guess one way or another, but given that 1) it's hundreds of km from Ukraine to Moscow 2) I assume it's difficult to smuggle those drones into the vicinity of Moscow 3) Russia has done false flags before to drum up war sentiment, it's not completely out of left field.

before these drone strikes ukraine had been talking about its own long range drones that they developed themselves. The UJ-22 has a range of 800 km / 500 miles. That's close enough to hit from Kharkiv

https://www.militarytoday.com/aircraft/uj_22.htm

It can carry 20kg of ordnance too, which accounts for the relatively small explosion

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

before these drone strikes ukraine had been talking about its own long range drones that they developed themselves. The UJ-22 has a range of 800 km / 500 miles. That's close enough to hit from Kharkiv

Yeah, it's just a long hostile distance to cross on a lovely 2cyl or whatever that's slow for efficiency.

Fumble posted:

no jet fuel.

Ha ha! 100 Low Lead supremacy strikes again!

I hate 100LL :(

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

Yeah, it's just a long hostile distance to cross on a lovely 2cyl or whatever that's slow for efficiency.

lots of russian anti-air is destroyed, most of the rest is at the front, what isn't is clustered around the kremlin so there's not much left to destroy it with, and that's assuming they even detected it in the first place because there were no sirens, no AA fire, and by the reactions the detonation was a sudden surprise

e: also, remember those crashed drones near moscow that were reported recently? those were UJ-22s as well. The drones weren't shot down by AA either

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 30, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

lots of russian anti-air is destroyed, most of the rest is at the front, what isn't is clustered around the kremlin so there's not much left to destroy it with, and that's assuming they even detected it in the first place because there were no sirens, no AA fire, and by the reactions the detonation was a sudden surprise

e: also, remember those crashed drones near moscow that were reported recently? those were UJ-22s as well. The drones weren't shot down by AA either

alright, you've convinced me, I believe Ukrainian domestic launch and clever routing is the most plausible explanation now :cheers:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The urge to call a false flag when it comes to russia is never a wrong thing really, they do it or try to do it so often that it's usually just smart to assume it is until someone posts enough evidence to provide a better explanation

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
It rules that the best counter argument to "why would Russia do something that would make them look weak and stupid ?" is "they're _very_ stupid"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did something happen in Ukraine/Russia or just something happen in the thread?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nooner posted:

drones blew some poo poo up in moscow

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
and maybe a bridge

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
When the gently caress are we gonna give Ukraine another Patriot or two for Odesa?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Those bridges got loving rekt.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

What is this, a 9/11 for ants?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

HonorableTB posted:

sushko writes very good clancy fanfiction

how to tell something on twitterX is bullshit

1. they have a blue checkmark
2. they are posting on twitterX

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe I'm just predisposed to be suspicious but I'm wondering why there's always a handheld camera set up to catch these super close drone strikes in Russia. I can't help but feel there's a difference between these videos of a drone suddenly appearing and going boom and that horrifying video from last year where that ukrainian family filmed a sukhoi slamming a dud missile into their apartment building.

Yeah they would need somewhere to plug their telecine in and time to develop the film it's v implausible

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Willo567 posted:

When the gently caress are we gonna give Ukraine another Patriot or two for Odesa?

Patriot batteries are basically bespoke items. Full up NATO allies have single-digit systems. The US has maybe dozens. Czechia had one. They gave it to Ukraine in exchange for someone's spare S-400 battery, which was very generous of them.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Rust Martialis posted:

and maybe a bridge

Surprised there hasn't been more said about it beyond one or two tweets, but traffic has been stationary on the Russian side since last night. Google says traffic is typically light all the time beyond a rush hour blip so something is definitely up there.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

mllaneza posted:

Patriot batteries are basically bespoke items. Full up NATO allies have single-digit systems. The US has maybe dozens. Czechia had one. They gave it to Ukraine in exchange for someone's spare S-400 battery, which was very generous of them.

I'd be very surprised if Czechia were to suddenly start fielding S-400s in the middle of Europe.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IiRC they put together that Patriot for Ukraine from Dutch and German donations of launchers and radars. Only Erdogan was dumb enough to get an S-400. Anyway its been long enough that I'm sure they could've scraped together another battery if they wanted by now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I don't think Ukraine ever got an S-400, they were well in conflict with Russia by the time those came available to foreign countries. Must've been an S-300.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ok, I misremembered some details. They may have been important ones.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Putin is interested in being seen as having control of the war and protecting the motherland, while Ukraine is interested in attacking long range targets, getting experience doing it to get more effective to hit more valuable targets, forcing Russia to put air defence systems away from the front, and many more.
Putin doesn't need a "false flag" to do anything, he does whatever he wants and can make poo poo up on propaganda TV without having hugely embarrassing explosions in Moscow. Please just stop with the false flag thing

In other news, Motherland will gently caress you over always, exhibit #42069
https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1685531165686456325

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Nooner posted:

Well you see, a long, long time ago there was a president. He was an okay presednt. There have been better, there have been worse. This one was just fine. Anyway, as stories like this go, there was a fair princess. She grew up to be queen and one day would herself take the throne of the kingdom.

But then, an orange knight appeared to challenge the queen....

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pictured: Russian army coaxing building contractor into job site

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ded posted:

how to tell something on twitterX is bullshit

1. they have a blue checkmark
2. they are posting on twitterX

That was always true. Even before Musk

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

These drones they keep filming have limited range. Theyre all quadrotor designs which simply do not have the range to be launched from hundreds of miles away.

While it might ultimately be Ukraine army arming them, my money is on local anti government operators, perhaps even Ukrainians forcibly relocated into Russia.

While russia is dumb as a brick and their internal security is trash I find it hard to believe that the secret services just drove a truck of explosives and drones from ukraine to 10 miles outside moscow without being stopped or spotted.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

It's an interesting comparison if you look at the long range strikes carried out by both sides (assuming Ukraine did the drone attack.

Russia hits malls, hospitals, schools... Basically anything it can with a rocket aside from military targets.

Ukraine flies a drone 1000km into the heart of the capital and blows up one office on a specific floor of a specific high rise building at night.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Put the drones and explosives in crates labelled as if they were vodka. Load them first, then fill the truck with actual vodka. Give a case or two to anyone who looks like they might actually look in the back. Have plenty of cash and you can get that truck from Minsk to Vladivostok without a serious inspection.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ROJO posted:

Is it odd to anyone else that only a single floor of windows appears blown out? I would expect an external drone strike of the size shown in the video to affect multiple floors and be more centralized vs. strung out laterally.

Makes sense if the drone penetrated the building before going boom instead of exploding outside of it. The internal floors would have kept the blast largely contained to the floor it entered.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Drone_Fragger posted:

These drones they keep filming have limited range. Theyre all quadrotor designs which simply do not have the range to be launched from hundreds of miles away.

While it might ultimately be Ukraine army arming them, my money is on local anti government operators, perhaps even Ukrainians forcibly relocated into Russia.

While russia is dumb as a brick and their internal security is trash I find it hard to believe that the secret services just drove a truck of explosives and drones from ukraine to 10 miles outside moscow without being stopped or spotted.

The quadrocopter drones at the front line are not the same as the long range fixed wing drones being launched at targets hundreds of miles away

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Drone_Fragger posted:

You can't realistically secure the Russian border to prevent smuggling. You might have to send it on a circuitous route through the Caucasus or even Kazakhstan but if someone with the resources of a nationstate behind them wants to get something into Russia then it's getting in.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1685550092550361088
:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Ukraine flies a drone 1000km into the heart of the capital and blows up one office on a specific floor of a specific high rise building at night.

I don't think they targeted specific office on a specific floor, footage from the damaged office shows some regular open space office, but that government building was probably the intended target.