Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Ok blind how do you get knights of the round and 2nd question how did you know the answer to question one?

I spent a lot of time breeding a golden chocobo and then rode it around the map for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Some of you need to “guide” yourself to the Better Posting Academy!!!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Some of you need to “guide” yourself to the Better Posting Academy!!!

Oh, Pokémon Snap!

I ended up using my coins from all the physical games I’ve bought in the last few weeks and got A Short Hike digitally for 15 cents

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I spent a lot of time breeding a golden chocobo and then rode it around the map for fun.
Uh huh, and where did you learn how to have fun?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martman posted:

Uh huh, and where did you learn how to have fun?

I wish I could remember. :smith:

Trauts
May 1, 2010
TotK time. Really excited, loved botw.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ok, so I put an hour into Illusion Island. It's really cute and has some high quality work put into it. It's metroidy in that you have to get new skills in order to progress and explore / get everything but it's not really difficult yet. According to the game after 51 minutes I am 6% of the way through exploring. There's a lot of little things to collect which get you rewards that will likely mean something later.

The level design is excellent. They clearly put a ton of effort into making it both look good and also into being creative but without being unfair in the layout. It's Mickey and co, so there are lower stakes than other games. I misjudged quite a few jumps in the first part and died a couple of times but with something new like this there comes that question of, "Can I jump in the water, or will i die?" There are checkpoints everywhere so even if you do die you won't lose a lot of progress at least this early in the game. There does not appear to be a limit of lives so far either.

Tony Anselmo (Donald) and Bill Farmer (Goofy) reprise their roles from the 2012+ Mickey cartoons. I was curious why they went with Bret Iwan as Mickey instead of Chris Diamantopoulos and it seems because Bret has been the "official" voice since 2009. Kaitlyn Robrock plays Minnie since Russi Taylor passed away a couple of years ago. I'm sure I'll get used to Bret and Kaitlyn. The music is really nice and suits the game well. It invokes quite a bit of the 1950s golden era of Disney sort of feeling to the game.

Each of the characters have their own personalities and it is reflected in the way the game is put together. For example, the first upgrade ability you get is a float-jump and Mickey gets a jetpack, Minnie gets a paper airplane, Goofy gets a pepper and Donald gets a questionable rocket.

From what I saw, it's about 6.5 hours to play through the game but that is variable by quite a bit because you can do it up to 4 player couch co-op. I will probably start a new game with the kids and see how they like the couch co-op version.

Anyway, not that anyone cares but it's a cute game which clearly had a lot of love put into it by the designers and you can rest assured that it's safe enough to let the kids play since there's no objectionable content and the challenge level is adjustable / it's probably the easiest metroidvania I've ever encountered (and thus why I will finish it).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Illusion Island is really cute but yeah it's (intentionally) baby's first metroidvania so you have to accept that.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I guess I should clarify my only complaint was not having Chris Diamantopoulos as Mickey.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

otter posted:

I guess I should clarify my only complaint was not having Chris Diamantopoulos as Mickey.

Didn’t Chris only do Mickey in the shorts (or were you expecting him over Bret due to the game having a similar visual style to said shorts)?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Larryb posted:

Didn’t Chris only do Mickey in the shorts (or were you expecting him over Bret due to the game having a similar visual style to said shorts)?

Chris has done some other Mickey work as well. The shorts are what my kids know Mickey from more than anything else and because of the art style I assumed exactly that. I’m not heartbroken about it. It’s just a change I wasn’t expecting (probably because I haven’t played any Kingdom Hearts games)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

otter posted:

Chris has done some other Mickey work as well. The shorts are what my kids know Mickey from more than anything else and because of the art style I assumed exactly that. I’m not heartbroken about it. It’s just a change I wasn’t expecting (probably because I haven’t played any Kingdom Hearts games)

Yeah, Bret does the voice in a large majority of Mickey’s appearances to my knowledge but I understand why you’d think otherwise in this case

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i generally don't mind the combat in xenoblade 1 but agniratha is such a grudge match that i'm not surprised i remember almost nothing of it from my wii playthrough. even when i've done all sidequests and cranked my characters' levels up as high as they can go, there's still enough enemies strong enough to aggro-on-sight to be irritating

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Has anyone played Skyrim on Switch? Is it a good port?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I played it recently and it's decent enough. It gets pretty choppy if a dragon spawns in an area with a lot of NPCs, and there's a couple of sidequests that are currently bugged, but I haven't run into any other issues.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Thanks for the Illusion Island review. Me, wife and son all love the shorts so is a definite pickup now.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I hit 2 1/2 hours into Illusion Island and it does get a little more challenging. I probably squandered about 15 to 20 minutes retracing my steps because I didn't notice something in the second stage.
I couldn't seem to progress any further and thought I had missed something major but it turned out what it was I had not noticed there is a button which activates the moving platforms that does not give you an interact symbol because you need to jump on it. If you don't quite figure that out, you won't get anywhere and it doesn't give you any hints about it probably because it SHOULD be obvious but I missed it. Also, I couldn't find the 3rd key piece in the Gizmopolis stage because I kept on looking at the map and thinking the piece I had not yet collected was the piece I HAD collected. Took me another 10-15 minutes just to figure out I had that all backwards by completely chasing my tail and retracing everything again and again.

The game continues to be endlessly charming. I also discovered by playing around at the menu when you start you can set it so there's no damage limit so you (or your kids) don't have their character's life end. That would have been a big help back in the day when myself, my wife, and our (now 10, then 5 year old) would play New Super Mario Bros Wii and we'd hand his little brother (then 2 1/2, now 8 and can beat Breath of the Wild on his own) the xbox 360 controller and tell him he was playing when he wasn't. He chewed the rubber off the analog sticks. He's come a long way from fake-playing to pwning noobs in Fortnite and poo poo talking like you wouldn't believe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm disappointed mickey want voiced by a drunk podcaster doing a bit

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Giving the Link's Awakening remake another runthrough and drat this game looks superb on OLED. Just a shame oled can't fix the overworld framerate but ah well. Only got my oled a few months ago and now I'm thinking I'm going to have to replay like half my library to coo over the colour pop. Never thought I'd play Tokyo Mirage Sessions again but I just might. At least until anyone in it starts talking.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oled switch lite when

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Meowywitch posted:

oled switch lite when

lol never dude cmon

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s something they’d put out three months before a successor releases like the 2DS XL and GB Micro

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont care about new Nintendo hardware, I just want a sequel to Mario Odyssey.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the thinness of xenoblade 1’s cast really makes itself known at the third act twist. there’s no significant friction of chemistry among most of them because they’re all so inoffensively nice, so all the story material is strictly concept based. three straight hours of nattering about fate

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

the thinness of xenoblade 1’s cast really makes itself known at the third act twist. there’s no significant friction of chemistry among most of them because they’re all so inoffensively nice, so all the story material is strictly concept based. three straight hours of nattering about fate

Sounds like Fire Emblem

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

For transparency: Mr Acula, your Pyra /Mythra amiibo are on their way to you. May they find their mark by post, by dogsled, or snowmobile if need be. :canada:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I dont care about new Nintendo hardware, I just want a sequel to Mario Odyssey.

:hmmyes:

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

This boss fight still sucks rear end, over 20 years later

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that boss rules tho?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm excited for Mario Wonder
been playing the zeldas i never did before, the time one is great

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

My 10-year-old is replaying Jedi: Fallen Order which I have only seen small bits of. It made me wonder why Disney hasn’t thrown a giant pile of money at Monolithsoft or the Zelda team to make basically Star Wars: Breath of the Wild. They could dump out quarterly DLC and just print money.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

otter posted:

My 10-year-old is replaying Jedi: Fallen Order which I have only seen small bits of. It made me wonder why Disney hasn’t thrown a giant pile of money at Monolithsoft or the Zelda team to make basically Star Wars: Breath of the Wild. They could dump out quarterly DLC and just print money.

Because Ubisoft is on it instead :shepface:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

otter posted:

https://youtu.be/c7K2TA0bBpY

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

mycot posted:

Because Ubisoft is on it instead :shepface:

Why didn't they call it Star Cry?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want a hard mode dlc for Pikmin 4, the early game could use some spicing up for replays

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just rolled credits on Pikmin 4 though i
I'm nowhere near finished.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well yes you've had one, but what about second credits?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This boss fight still sucks rear end, over 20 years later

This boss was clearly trying to get kids hooked on slot machines, AKA gambling. :colbert:

It absolutely kicked my rear end as a kid!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think there will be but I hope there is a new game+ mode. I'd love to go hog wild from the start with all the upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Liquidating my OLED switch and some games here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038223