Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

MrMojok posted:

People have already named all my favorite jump scares, but a more recent one I’d add is that scene in The Night House.

I hadn’t heard about it and I happened to be watching the film with the volume way up, because I’d been having trouble understanding some of the dialogue earlier.

In general, The Night House is the most tense I've been during a movie in a long while, and I chalk it up to the sound design. Every little creak and click in that movie is tuned just right to echo that feeling of lying in bed and asking 'wait what is that? Is someone moving around downstairs?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm pretty sure I've seen all the Saw movies but honestly how could you even tell

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opopanax posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen all the Saw movies but honestly how could you even tell

I know I did a marathon and I couldn’t tell you a thing about any of them after like 4? Even then I’d just be saying random things I remember with no idea in what movie they happened.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Sympathy For The Devil (the new Nic Cage 'horror' movie, which is more thriller than horror but whatever) and the highlight is his Boston accent, which comes and goes like diarrhea after Taco Bell. It honestly rules, I'm not convinced he's ever met anyone from Boston before.

Update: Cage's bad accent is the highlight of the movie, the rest of the movie is honestly kinda boring, which is the biggest crime a Nic Cage movie can commit. Absolutely no horror elements, barely any thriller elements, D+ movie would not recommend.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 30, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did you see the Pickman's Model episode of GdT's CoC? Because Crispin has a world class What The gently caress Boston accent. He's also visibly in his mid 50s playing a college student.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Does anyone like Smooth Talk from 1985?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Pjjzb3Jqk

It's loosely cased on Joyce Carol Oates' short story "Where are you going, where have you been?" which in turn was loosely based on the Pied Piper of Tuscon, a murderer by the name of Charles Howard Schmid Jr who started modifying his appearance to the extreme.

it's a slow burn but haunting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like saw but I remember most of the main plot. I get kinda lost on the individuals who get saw’d and I don’t t remember the 6th one with the healthcare stuff

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like saw but I remember most of the main plot. I get kinda lost on the individuals who get saw’d and I don’t t remember the 6th one with the healthcare stuff

Alexa, summarise in 100 words or less why the Saw franchise is poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly Hellraiser is far worse. Saw is just not my thing bc I like murder instead of self mutilation

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chris James 2 posted:

OOOOOOOH YEAH WE'RE BACK BABY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PzUo4P21c

:getin: GET THE gently caress IN

Okay, that actually looks intriguing. Never expected to hear The Hollies in a horror trailer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly Hellraiser is far worse. Saw is just not my thing bc I like murder instead of self mutilation

I think it helps when they go back to their roots instead of getting lost in bad sequels, like the most recent Hellraiser make a point of the whole pleasure aspect of the box and how it intersects with Leviathan and the gifts and the nature of abuse, because the primary villain has a reputation for sexual deviance and extreme abuse of others besides feeding them to the puzzle box, so when the Priest shows up they mistakenly think he wants the gift of Sensation because he's all about the weird sex. However, at the end of the movie they realise that they judged wrong - his abuse didn't come from anything sexual really, it was all about power over other people, so he is allowed to swap his gift for the gift of Power instead.

Similarly the Saw movies get most interesting at the intersections of the varying Jigsaws' priorities, whether it's the original Jigsaw's belief in other people becoming their best selves through a crucible of pain and learning to overcome what he percieves to be their weaknesses because he's got a skewed view of life from his neverending parade of bullshit, or Amanda's perversion of those ideals and the realisation that her traps were designed to be unwinnable. There was never any way to remove the apparatus from the Angel machine guy because it was hooked deep into his ribcage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually saw x looks good bc it’s got some meat to it. I couldn’t get into the others because it was “guy who did something or was something gets tortured for not appreciating life” and it just never clicked with me

But this being a revenge tale, I’m in. gently caress em up jiggy

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, I'm excited for X because "you scammed a terminally ill John Kramer, not realizing the kind of thing he's capable of" is a back-to-basics solid motivation.

Plus I'm so glad to see series MVP Shawnee Smith back.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
They purposely operated on him wrong, as a joke.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

Lord of Illusions

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Have you seen the Denzel Washington & Elias Koteas Fallen?

It's pretty mediocre in total, but has a number of interesting moments with its ideas, a somber mood, and a stacked cast.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

ynohtna posted:

Have you seen the Denzel Washington & Elias Koteas Fallen?

It's pretty mediocre in total, but has a number of interesting moments with its ideas, a somber mood, and a stacked cast.

I've seen (and enjoyed) both of those. My blind spots are a lot of Hong Kong movies, older French in general (did see the Extreme stuff like Inside, Haute Tension, Martyrs) and British non-folk horror (I've seen Wicker Man, adored Blood on Satan's Claw, loved A Field in England, own All Our Haunts, so folk horror I have covered) of all things. So something like Full Circle/Haunting of Julia (which was fine), Christmas Ghost Stories, would fit for me .

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

Angel Heart, or for a more light hearted pastiche that would still scratch that horror detective itch: Cast A Deadly Spell

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Ninth Gate.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

david_a posted:

Lord of Illusions

Specifically the director’s cut, it has one of the creepiest scenes I’ve ever seen in it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SneakySneaks posted:

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS :cthulhu:

MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN :black101:

SAVAGELAND :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJLF1cL2r0

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 30, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Angel Heart, or for a more light hearted pastiche that would still scratch that horror detective itch: Cast A Deadly Spell

Angel Heart is certainly engaging, but for me it falls into that unfortunate category of "thoroughly compelling movie with an asinine twist ending that retroactively sours the whole experience."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just a brief head's up, the Sweet Sixteen of Bracketology starts this week and we'll be end running to the Championships in September. Nothing complicated to do, just watch some movies and vote. So all are welcome.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018436&pagenumber=25#post533554082

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Talk to Me was fantastic. top-tier horror and 90 minutes!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SneakySneaks posted:

The Vast of Night I think fits

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SneakySneaks posted:

Dead and Buried!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Right, I'm excited for X because "you scammed a terminally ill John Kramer, not realizing the kind of thing he's capable of" is a back-to-basics solid motivation.

Plus I'm so glad to see series MVP Shawnee Smith back.

Yeah, the plot of this is like a more goopy Abominable Dr. Phibes, and I'm all in for it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lumbermouth posted:

Specifically the director’s cut, it has one of the creepiest scenes I’ve ever seen in it.

Can you stream this anywhere, or do you have to buy the Blu-Ray?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

SneakySneaks posted:

I'll second The Vast of Night. The Wailing involves a police investigation, and for investigations driven by more personal reasons, stuff like Impetigore, Censor, and The Night House might be of interest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I will again recommend The Resurrected which is my favorite Horror Noir film.

Investigation horror is my favorite genre.

I'd also go ahead and throw in The Stone Tapes which is definitely worth searching out.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 30, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ooh, yeah, The Stone Tape totally fits and is worth the hunting it out. Also Quatermass and the Pit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I actually walked out (i do this a lot more lately cuz i have moviepass) of Talk to Me cuz I felt like I wasn't understanding all the dialogue. Maybe 80% of it but still, it seemed cool so I wanted to wait for streaming and closed captions.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
I've seen and loved a lot of those (Mouth of Madness, Censor, Dead and Buried). I thought I saw The Wailing, but I did not, that looks amazing. The Vast of Night, is also exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit: Also is Europa Report any good? Was looking at that too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Vast of Night is really impressive on a technical level and I dig the vibe of it but there aren't really any incredible scares and they kind of fumble the climax.

Also the weird TV screen framing scenes do nothing.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the first thing that comes to mind for "investigation horror" is kolchak, the show that inspired x-files. it was two tv movies then a single season.

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-stalker/

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

dorium posted:

Talk to Me was fantastic. top-tier horror and 90 minutes!

FYI for those going in blind: no Eurythmics at all

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'mma check out Vast of night.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

david_a posted:

Can you stream this anywhere, or do you have to buy the Blu-Ray?

Physical only, all streaming versions are the theatrical cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

I'mma check out Vast of night.

Do it, it's worth a watch and an eerily quiet summer night is probably the ideal circumstances. It's only kinda horror though.