Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have found zero bone spear aspects or items that buff bone skills so I'm currently using a Blood Lance build because I do have two pretty good Blood Lance Legendaries. I can clear most crowds and Elites pretty easily but the capstone boss just mulches me and I waste a ton of time not having Essence to keep casting Blood Lance, so I end up spending a lot of time running around dodging his attacks because Necro is a glass cannon and my cannon is a peashooter. I looked up a Blood Lance build and I'm pretty close to it but even with two of those three Hearts you're listing I'm getting wrecked by the capstone boss.

I'd like to make it clear that the only thing I "bitched" about was that I think the seasonal mechanics are boring, lame, and lovely. Which frankly, is an opinion I'm allowed to have; this whole conversation started because I replied to someone else about the Seasonal system being great but as my first experience with it, I think this season sucks. Otherwise I love the game.

Sweeeeeet, agreed that that is not huge but its nice to see something get thrown that way.

All the bone spear aspects are in the codex as of season 1 fyi. Well not ossified essence but that is the least important early on (but still super powerful when it comes online later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also if you are playing blood necro don’t hear for glass cannon, gear to be able to facetank anything. It plays similar to pulverize Druid

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Any reason to keep my Eternal characters around? I like my character selection nice and tidy so I'm gonna delete them all. Seasonal only in my harem tyvm

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Time posted:

All the bone spear aspects are in the codex as of season 1 fyi. Well not ossified essence but that is the least important early on (but still super powerful when it comes online later)
Whelp, I missed that, thank you.

Time posted:

Also if you are playing blood necro don’t hear for glass cannon, gear to be able to facetank anything. It plays similar to pulverize Druid
Good to know, thank you again! I have enough skillpoints now, so I have a few of the Blood skills that add Fortify

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

harrygomm posted:

beat the wt4 capstone at 56 on necro. this is a stupid class
Did the same thing on druid. Beat it on my 2nd attempt. 1st attempt I got lazy and got 1 shot in phase 4 when he lights up the floor, Bulwark was on cooldown and I thought I could face tank it.

Landlside/trample/poison creeper build.

I didn't even have a Barber heart

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If the paragon stuff for Necro's minions are fixed, are minions viable at 50+ in WT3? My wife LOVES having minions but also doesn't like dying as we move up through difficulty tiers.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I’m a freak and I enjoy D4’s itemization.

It’s cool that certain armor can have gently caress-off levels of DR/hp and defensive aspects and I hunt them. It’s cool that I gotta find big move speed on boots and amulet. It’s cool that I have uniques to hunt on druid (make it true for other classes blizz!)

Managing gold and souls and veiled crystals is cool. Building up a bank of aspects and mats and hearts for alts is cool. Grinding tunnels if I want to min/max hearts is cool.

Keeping interesting rares for jewelry is cool.

idk it’s tickling my biscuit to think about in between big bear slams.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My only real major issue is how loving long it takes to pour through all the goddamn stats on all the gear in a full inventory (Especially with all the extra info on)

I really want to be able to set up loads of custom filters that auto mark loot as trash for salvage and trash for vendor and that would immeasurably improve my life, the downtime while I have relatively expensive potions or a helltide timer ticking away causing constant time pressure is killer. I know I've accidentally mulched upgrades trying to go fast.

Hell it's an arpg, so make that an unlock from rerolling or upgrading or salvaging or vendoring things with certain stats if you gotta. Cool, you rerolled to crit on gloves X times. Now you can auto filter all items with no crit on gloves etc. Etc.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 30, 2023

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have found zero bone spear aspects or items that buff bone skills so I'm currently using a Blood Lance build because I do have two pretty good Blood Lance Legendaries. I can clear most crowds and Elites pretty easily but the capstone boss just mulches me and I waste a ton of time not having Essence to keep casting Blood Lance, so I end up spending a lot of time running around dodging his attacks because Necro is a glass cannon and my cannon is a peashooter. I looked up a Blood Lance build and I'm pretty close to it but even with two of those three Hearts you're listing I'm getting wrecked by the capstone boss.

I'd like to make it clear that the only thing I "bitched" about was that I think the seasonal mechanics are boring, lame, and lovely. Which frankly, is an opinion I'm allowed to have; this whole conversation started because I replied to someone else about the Seasonal system being great but as my first experience with it, I think this season sucks. Otherwise I love the game.

Sweeeeeet, agreed that that is not huge but its nice to see something get thrown that way.

You are doing something very wrong if you are not invincible as a blood lance necromancer. Necro is definitely not a glass cannon. Mine was able to go into Elias at level 61 and mulch him within a couple overpowers on hardcore.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Rufio posted:

Any reason to keep my Eternal characters around? I like my character selection nice and tidy so I'm gonna delete them all. Seasonal only in my harem tyvm

In d3 I just kept them until I needed a season slot, they might add rebirth which seems pointless but eh nuke em

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I finally got to WT3 last night at 44, even carried a buddy through it. Gonna just hang in the NM dungeons now collecting gear and upgrading everything to sacred + imprints to get ready for paragon grinding and even more leveling.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

coelomate posted:

I’m a freak and I enjoy D4’s itemization.

It’s cool that certain armor can have gently caress-off levels of DR/hp and defensive aspects and I hunt them. It’s cool that I gotta find big move speed on boots and amulet. It’s cool that I have uniques to hunt on druid (make it true for other classes blizz!)

Managing gold and souls and veiled crystals is cool. Building up a bank of aspects and mats and hearts for alts is cool. Grinding tunnels if I want to min/max hearts is cool.

Keeping interesting rares for jewelry is cool.

idk it’s tickling my biscuit to think about in between big bear slams.

I'd like it a lot more if they maybe toned it down on some of the affixes. Like do we really, really need;
-%Damage
-%Damage to Slowed
-%Damage to Stunned
-%Damaged to Crowd Controlled
-%Damage to Unstoppable
-%Damage to Unstoppable Bosses you Staggered
-%Damage to Unstoppable Bosses you Staggered that just came out of Stagger
-%Damage to Unstaggered Staggerd Bosses someone else Staggered for you
-%Damage to Bosses who got Staggered Facing North with an Easterly Breeze with a High Chance of Rain Later this Evening

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Good ol' Carbot says what we're all thinking

I've started skipping a lot of events in dungeons as my brain associates them with "same loot, 3-5 times slower."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm trying to decide if I want this game. I'll play it couch coop on a PS5 with one other person, but years ago when I did that with Diablo 3, we got bored on our first playthrough by there being basically zero difficulty, and the story not involving the characters we were actually playing.

Should I bother with this one?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Doomykins posted:

I've started skipping a lot of events in dungeons as my brain associates them with "same loot, 3-5 times slower."

lol amazing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The writing is better. Your character is still fairly generic, though they have a (stoic, altruistic, nicely fearless) mild personality. The supporting cast carries a lot better than D3.

The difficulty depends. It's gonna be similar to D3 boss design: a big imposing monster slams AoE markers down. I think D4 boss design is overall better and there's a bit of a nice challenge for an ARPG campaign going through World Torment 2(WT2) to start. WT1 is sleepwalk mode. WT3 and WT4 make things harder but are definitively post campaign and also paradoxically become super easy as you gear up in their new tier of drops, then you make the game as hard as you want trying to push Nightmare Dungeons until a Super Boss rematch with the last boss.

The campaign is distinctly better than D3, the issue is if you think it'll be $70 worth of better. It took me awhile to decide to take the risk and I've found it barely worth it, but I personally hate paying release date prices.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gort posted:

I'm trying to decide if I want this game. I'll play it couch coop on a PS5 with one other person, but years ago when I did that with Diablo 3, we got bored on our first playthrough by there being basically zero difficulty, and the story not involving the characters we were actually playing.

Should I bother with this one?

It's better, but definitely don't buy D4 for the story imo. Your character appears in cutscenes but there's a handful of them and a whole bunch forgettable fodder bookended by two amazing cinematics.

Difficulty is a weird one, because you won't really be dying until higher difficulties (after campaign), but monsters will take considerably longer to kill than D3.

Vic fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 30, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah D4 writing is better in that everybody is grateful we didn't get a Diablo 3 or Shadowlands tier disaster. It's goodish for a video game in a genre where the story can be skipped in a blind playthrough.

Watching Carbot vids I think Blizzard needs to get on voice packs in the shop that let me use better sound design from older games. Sorry D4 devs, you did a good job in a lot of places but I have a Pavlovian response smile to hearing D2 Barb noises.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I actually think the sound design is a place were D4 shines super hard, especially while playing as a Barb.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The sound and graphics in D4 are amazing. The soundtrack isn't super memorable but atmospheric as gently caress.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

If the paragon stuff for Necro's minions are fixed, are minions viable at 50+ in WT3? My wife LOVES having minions but also doesn't like dying as we move up through difficulty tiers.

They were before this patch. My eternal necro was 74 and melting wt4

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Doomykins posted:

The writing is better. Your character is still fairly generic, though they have a (stoic, altruistic, nicely fearless) mild personality. The supporting cast carries a lot better than D3.

The difficulty depends. It's gonna be similar to D3 boss design: a big imposing monster slams AoE markers down. I think D4 boss design is overall better and there's a bit of a nice challenge for an ARPG campaign going through World Torment 2(WT2) to start. WT1 is sleepwalk mode. WT3 and WT4 make things harder but are definitively post campaign and also paradoxically become super easy as you gear up in their new tier of drops, then you make the game as hard as you want trying to push Nightmare Dungeons until a Super Boss rematch with the last boss.

The campaign is distinctly better than D3, the issue is if you think it'll be $70 worth of better. It took me awhile to decide to take the risk and I've found it barely worth it, but I personally hate paying release date prices.
$60 in 2012 is worth $76 in 2023 money.

$70 in 2023 money is worth $55 in 2012 money.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

th3t00t posted:

$60 in 2012 is worth $76 in 2023 money.

$70 in 2023 money is worth $55 in 2012 money.

But 2012 was only...

I'm a big fan of the part of the hobby where you can get any game for $30 or less if you wait a year to play it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Doomykins posted:

But 2012 was only...

I'm a big fan of the part of the hobby where you can get any game for $30 or less if you wait a year to play it.

Unless you like Nintendo games lol. BoTW was a launch title, had its direct sequel released a few months ago and is STILL its original price.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i think it depends on if the guide author has actually been testing out new things in the season or if they just rushed it out for clicks, ive been collecting aspects fopr a minion necro using a maxroll guide and its changed several times since the season start and doesnt use disobedience anymore

Yeah between the blizz aspect and the crowd controlled one its 25+25 Dr can't see how to beat that for two defensives

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got the freeze gloves on my rogue last night. Seems like the first unique I’ve gotten that might be useful. I’ll have to look up some stuff for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Switched from a chain lightning build to an ice spikes build for my sorcerer and now she’s melting entire screens at once. What a dramatic difference. A+.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its annoying that you cant just replace a wrathful heart on a piece of armour thats equipped and you have to take it off.

Either I was really tired last night when I did this or there's some weird special case for wrathful hearts, because I remember simply swapping in a new heart into jewelry I was wearing without needing to remove it? There was a confirmation dialogue that the existing heart would be destroyed but I'm pretty sure I didn't remove it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Either I was really tired last night when I did this or there's some weird special case for wrathful hearts, because I remember simply swapping in a new heart into jewelry I was wearing without needing to remove it? There was a confirmation dialogue that the existing heart would be destroyed but I'm pretty sure I didn't remove it.

There’s a weird special case for wrathful hearts, you have to unequip the jewelry to slot a new one in.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Doomykins posted:

I don't think I've ever successfully completed the one where you have to keep at least one person alive. They just die too fast to some random bullshit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not sure how the wandering soul one works at all

Not the one looking for something, the one where you have to kill imbued stuff or whatever while it wanders around

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Rufio posted:

The main use is to test builds without having to spend resources in season.

Edit: There's also a decent chance they become far more powerful than anything possible in season thanks to legacy items etc.

The Huge Manatee fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 30, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

hawowanlawow posted:

Not the one looking for something, the one where you have to kill imbued stuff or whatever while it wanders around

The gimmick there is that new imbued stuff only spawns after you kill the existing ones, so if you're not focusing down imbued enemies you're not going to kill enough of them before time runs out

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

One mob will have a sort of greenish glowing aura around it, you kill it and it fills up the bar and a new one appears. It's actually one of the better ones. Except it doesn't end with an elite I guess.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

Gotta kill the purple enemies. They've got a sorta aura thing. It's hard to notice, but only one of those can spawn at once so if you wanna succeed the event you either have to do absurd full screen clear or focus on the specific purple enemies.

So slow, I am so so slow

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

Gotta kill the purple enemies. They've got a sorta aura thing. It's hard to notice, but only one of those can spawn at once so if you wanna succeed the event you either have to do absurd full screen clear or focus on the specific purple enemies.

So slow, I am so so slow

yeah focusing on one enemy is not really my build's thing, but I did not notice the glow before so I will try it now

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

fknlo posted:

I got the freeze gloves on my rogue last night. Seems like the first unique I’ve gotten that might be useful. I’ll have to look up some stuff for it.

I got those the other day and love them. 2 levels below me now, but them help my rogue hitting above her weight when when tend to freeze everything around me.

With their help I was about to get through the first part of the T4 capstone at 58 and could get Elias down to the last potion mark. Ended up going to town and recruiting some people that helped me beat him.
I just wanted out of T3 to get some better gear.

I'm really getting burnt out on the game this season though. A lot of it is due to the slow grind for XP.
They seem to think that grind will increase the engagement, but it's just driving people away.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The one that you have to kill is a red dot on the mini-map too.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tarnop posted:

Have they fixed the blood orb corpse tendrils bug

I don't know why people keep thinking it's a bug. They didn't change anything that would make it be a bug. They nerfed it with no documentation, likely for the same reason they nerfed blood lance for 1.0.4 https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/news/diablo-4-hotfix-patch-1-0-4-blood-lance-nerfs-333892 too many blood lances spawning from blood orbs and gore quills aspect causing server issues.

I agree it's incredibly loving annoying, though, because I'm still playing blood lance and it was fun as hell before they deleted the corpse tendrils ability to spawn blood orbs. Now you have to rely on massive attack speed to get any blood orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The one dungeon event that confused me is the one where you’re supposed to kill the bats before they combine or something like that? I was sure I was doing that bhmut still failed.