Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Does building up your tolerance to heat reduce your tolerance to cold

I need to know which stat is best to put my points in.

Can I just go for tolerance to water? I think on balance that will be most useful

just wear cold resist gear, heat resist gear is much rarer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I’m Just waiting for the first woke DLC for Frostpunk quite frankly

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

celadon posted:

also while i have no doubt that its probably true you can increase heat tolerance by a number of differnet mechanisms, i do not think that the populations that are most susceptible to getting heatstroke are likely to, or even be able to, do those sorts of preventative behaviors

like are 70 year olds going to start a process of heat therapy? is a retirement home going to have coordinated heat exercise days? like, whats the liability the first time a 90 year old has a heart attack because you're doing a system-wide cool for the summer heatstroke practice

bonkers to see this stuff start getting posted already, too

Also, what are we actually talking about here? Generally when the washington post says that experts say there’s good news about a serious problem, the good news is that you can make it somewhat less bad by being middle class or better, and that often doesn’t even work.

This exciting new technique seems to be “get hot when it’s hot so it won’t seem as hot later, also exercise more.” I guess that’s fine, but it seems to me like what’s defining things lately is poo poo getting way worse than expected really suddenly. Like, take a walk when it’s 90 so 95 won’t feel as bad, sure, fine, but what happens at 115? I don’t know how to establish an internal precedent for the unprecedented and I’m not sure this advice is useful to people who can’t build saunas in their yards

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

As time goes on we'll screw up more and more local weather systems and trigger more tipping points, and the discourse will still be "oh if we just do this, this and this, we can reverse the damage." And we'll keep saying that while doing absolutely nothing until there's nothing left to screw up.

And what's more, we'll price it in. Carbon capture will never be viable but we'll increasingly say it is, while not doing it, and simply deducting the potential carbon capture from our emissions to say we're effectively net zero

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
ocean acidification in easy to solve just dump a bunch of pepto bismol in

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mags posted:

it will solve itself when all the glaciers and the poles melt into the ocean. the solution to pollution is dilution.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

No! No more emissions! :mad:

:thurman:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
As everyone knows, the problem with climate change is it's going to get hotter, so if you get used to it being a little hotter you personally will be fine. Because of course, it's going to only get a little hotter, and then stop, and there aren't going to be any other effects or issues caused by climate change and its consequences.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm building up a tolerance to famine and riots by skipping breakfast and kicking myself in the balls a little bit every day

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
This is also helping me build up a tolerance to microplastic-induced infertility

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress we're all going to die

no you don't understand, we're going to die. climate change is the gun but most people don't even understand what the bullet is yet. ocean acidification.

extreme weather is fun and all and that'll kill millions and displace billions, leaving easily a quarter of humanity mostly from the global south at the hands of terrified first worlders and their rising fascism, but that's just bruises. climate change is the gun and ocean acidification is the bullet that will do the actual reaping

please do everything you can to make it stop

Fact Check: we were all going to die even without climate change. Everyone dies.

mags
May 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

I'm building up a tolerance to famine and riots by skipping breakfast and kicking myself in the balls a little bit every day

don’t forget tear gas microdosing

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

Fact Check: we were all going to die even without climate change. Everyone dies.

Now they tell me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilippineStar/status/1685271630262792192?t=oj6ROvmhZvXYSajWjZ5-hg&s=19

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Though usually not all at once

mags
May 30, 2008

new normals coming faster and faster

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

im egay

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
ahh poo poo its the hitler page quick post faster

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The realistic climate policy page

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hey everyone, in this post I will be detailing in depth why Malthus was right and we need a rational, objective approach to degrowth :words:

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

protip: if you steal a fascist's debit card it's often really easy to guess their PIN

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Though usually not all at once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBrob3bjI

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

fosborb posted:

can you actually bother explaining what the chart is? i'd like to be able to interpret that in the future, tbh

drat dude not even a please or something? That's an enormous ask. Kids these days.

The short answer is that it shows anomalous winds on the equatorial band. Red is a slowing or reversal of trade winds, blue is an above average strengthening of trades. The former is associated with oscillations and other conditions that support El Nino, while the latter, La Nina.

You want to see strongly red signals in the pacific basin, especially the west pacific. That supports El Nino in the future and causes warm water to travel east to the NINO regions where a typical event forms, off South America.

You also want to see those anomalous red bands travel east over time to impart additional velocity to the warm water.

That's exactly what is happening right now and forecast to continue for the next couple of weeks. It will provide huge support for El Nino, but it takes a while for the water to get there (weeks).

The ideal is that after this large burst of anomalous winds, commonly referred to as a WWB or Westerly Wind Burst, we would either have one more major one, or the atmosphere would shift to a completely El Nino pattern, which would be less strong, but completely red, across the entire pacific basin, signaling a low frequency conversion to a +ENSO baseline.

It also shows like 9 other things including if those red anomalous winds produce cyclones, and a bunch of other poo poo.

And btw when I say "ideal" I mean ideal for El Nino to form. El Nino fucks up the world in various ways so it is extremely psychopath to WISH for it to occur, even if it can have some locally beneficial effects like rainfall in the southern USA or amazing surfing and skiiing.

You're not getting the long answer because it's literally "learn what El Nino and La Nina are all about from the ground up". I love that chart, it's my favorite El Nino chart by far, but I like it because it comes together to monitor several systems at once. If that's what you want to do, I'm all for it. Good luck friend.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/sokurovark/status/1685376025167835136?s=46&t=J1lVrKOqDLGRcF29dzsWPA

Your body can build up tolerance to heat domes. Here's how.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Koirhor posted:

ahh poo poo its the hitler page quick post faster

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

mags posted:

it’s my toilet so I’m way ahead of you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I'm the bucket

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Climate is normal actually

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I didn't think the AMOC needed blue ocean to shut down. Source: I have formerly worked on sea and land ice paleoclimate models.

edit: like, we used to not factor land ice loss into models before ~2014 but we have since and it's clear that land ice plays a much more dramatic role in Total Fuckumage than previously appreciated

I didn't mean that they were necessary for one another. Freshwater influx from the greenland ice melt will stop the AMOC, in between then and now we'll have a blue ocean event, maybe. I wonder whether the arctic will freeze over again when the AMOC collapses, at least for a while

mags
May 30, 2008

Struensee posted:

I didn't mean that they were necessary for one another. Freshwater influx from the greenland ice melt will stop the AMOC, in between then and now we'll have a blue ocean event, maybe. I wonder whether the arctic will freeze over again when the AMOC collapses, at least for a while

nice we can rug pull the polar bears, smug coke drinking fucks need to be taken a peg or two down the IUCN Red List

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

Climate is normal actually

we have changed the definition of climate to reflect current changes. look! everything is normal now and so fine

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Who turned the loving fan down? * Cranks it to Max

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

get me outta this page I can't be seen here

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

smoobles posted:

get me outta this page I can't be seen here

The Order will help bring the end of days, OP.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Always wanted to hotbox my poop after eating mac n cheese

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Soggy Muffin posted:

Always wanted to hotbox my poop after eating mac n cheese

Live your best life

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I just heard about ocean acidification and it sounds like a good thing? Apparently the ocean can absorb all this excess CO2 in the form of some kinda acid. As usual the demoncats are overblowing a natural thing that resolves itself.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

climate solution: dunk yourself in an ice bath. you're welcome

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i am curious as to the mechanism by which ocean acidification is the thing that kills us all. like is the oxygen-producing capacity of cyanobacteria diminished at a pH value we are likely to hit? not to downplay things but i think every fish could die and we wouldnt all starve. ~40lb fish per capita vs ~200lb of rice per capita produced per year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Microplastics posted:

No! No more emissions! :mad:

i know we throw around terms like "lol" and "lmao" a lot, but lol and lmao, from the bottom of my heart