Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
london trip report-

After we were done with the car we got a bus, ate at a food market place that was less expensive than I might have feart for london prices and the bourgie looking facade of the place

cheesy steak fries, better than the picture does justice. then it was another bus off to ministry of sound

and then it all got very loving messy indeed, end of trip report 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Was wasting time this morning watching some of the UK dashcam YouTube channel and it’s really astonishing how many of the videos end up being the dashcam owner telling on themselves, driving headlong into a situation you could clearly see coming a mile away but refusing to slow down because “I’m in the right!!”

OwlFancier posted:

Also my bellend boss had me chauffer him into newcastle city center because he didn't want to walk four minutes from the metro station, knobhead that he is. loving hate being sat on my arse all day in a loving car.
Is your job paying for your car insurance? Pretty sure standard car insurance doesn’t cover you driving for work-related purposes (outside of commuting) so that’s usually a pretty rock-solid excuse when they ask for bullshit like this.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

kingturnip posted:

You can see this on UK dashcam videos - someone'll be doing 60 MPH, another driver ~70 yards away will pull into the road, and rather than braking to accommodate the car that is now in front of them, they'll accelerate past the speed limit and swerve onto the other side of the road to pass them. Probably while calling them a oval office. And then think submit the video because they were clearly in the right.

Probably more than 70 yards as at 60mph that's an emergency brake and it may well be safer to speed up, overtake and call it for what it is in the moment

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rustybear posted:

No idea why you’ve taken against a particular orbit configuration

Because putting thousands of objects into orbit to get coverage is very much worse than putting a few objects into orbit? I don’t really understand what I’m supposedly missing here.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Betjeman posted:

Probably more than 70 yards as at 60mph that's an emergency brake and it may well be safer to speed up, overtake and call it for what it is in the moment

If they're bombing along at the speed limit on a motorway and don't have the foresight to pre-emptivey switch to the right lane when the slip road joins then they're morons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anybody have that meme image of the untitled goose yelling "AND WHOSE FAULT IS THAT MOTHERFUCKER" because it would fit perfectly here and I cannot find it for the life of me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

I always love it when car-brained boomers unironically post descriptions/pictures of idealised non-car-centric 15M urban landscapes and act like they're viewing a combination of Magnitogorsk in 1979 and the Seventh Circle of Hell.

"This [tree-lined, sustainable pedestrianised public space where all amenities are accessible to all within a short distance in a safe, quiet, attractive and civic-minded urban landscape] is what Khan wants!!!"
I'm a big fan of the semi-pedestrianized area with automatic bollards, where delivery vehicles have time dependent access to one side of the area and emergency vehicles and disabled pass holders have 24h access.

It has the dual advantage of preventing the dance troupes and organ grinders and novelty bird call vendors from monopolizing all the walking space and also neutralizing all the extremely good faith "but what about my friend who is disabled and also a fire engine" complaints from 'motorist interest group' dickheads.

DesperateDan posted:

london trip report-
We went to the seaside and came face to face with the infamous Nando's Cannibal.

I've decided I'm fine with not even speculating about the series of evolutionary events that gave seagulls both the ability and desire to devour an entire leftover chicken in seconds with a sound like a Hammer Horror Foley department being fed into a woodchipper.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Z the IVth posted:

If they're bombing along at the speed limit on a motorway and don't have the foresight to pre-emptivey switch to the right lane when the slip road joins then they're morons.

Personally I haven't had to either emergency brake or swerve around someone in years and it's entirely likely that the turn was telegraphed and they decided to play chicken, but if I was suddenly confronted with a solid object 70 yards in front of me when I'm doing 60 my first reaction probably would be to go around it if the road was clear.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol we're literally worse than Mississippi on wages

https://twitter.com/rayrod/status/1685627539857805312

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anybody have that meme image of the untitled goose yelling "AND WHOSE FAULT IS THAT MOTHERFUCKER" because it would fit perfectly here and I cannot find it for the life of me.
Relevant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

cheesy steak fries, better than the picture does justice. then it was another bus off to ministry of sound

On the confluence of trip reports, grub, and pedestrianization, went to the food festival at saltburn today, they closed off a bunch of roads in the middle and filled it with stalls and people.

I had an Armenian chicken wrap which was very nice, albeit £10, but it was delicious so not complaining.

Pedestrian spaces are good, wish we had more of them and the infrastructure to support them.

Guavanaut posted:

We went to the seaside and came face to face with the infamous Nando's Cannibal.

I've decided I'm fine with not even speculating about the series of evolutionary events that gave seagulls both the ability and desire to devour an entire leftover chicken in seconds with a sound like a Hammer Horror Foley department being fed into a woodchipper.

I saw a video of a seagull devour an entire rabbit whole in one minute and I share the sentiment of the narrator.

Seagulls are hosed up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 30, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1685626540669739010

:toot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s tremendously pathetic that the difference between Keith and Sunak’s parties is now so fag paper thin that the only wedge issue for the Sunday papers that the Tories have is “lefty Labour don’t like the very small number of you with an old polluting shitbox”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I watched a seagull eat a live pigeon, but for some reason he only went for the (delicious?) neckmeat, so the head and body were untouched but still essentially attached by a thin thread. Very weird and horrifying but still fascinating

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The real bad news is that all of the grifters who've been living off this scam are now going to need a new infrastructure grift.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

It’s tremendously pathetic that the difference between Keith and Sunak’s parties is now so fag paper thin that the only wedge issue for the Sunday papers that the Tories have is “lefty Labour don’t like the very small number of you with an old polluting shitbox”

I remember when Sadiq Khan was elected thinking that he was a bit of a New Labour Blairite, it’s sad to think that he now represents the left wing of the party

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Is that cannibalism? They're both birds but, we eat mammals, or is it more like us eating primates? Is eating an ape cannibalism? I don't know I'm genuinely asking.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, electric cars are a bad thing because they are a product first and foremost and still have the vast majority of the issues of fossil fuel cars, which exchanging the resource problems for different ones, so that seems like a good comparison. We will strip mine the world to make batteries for electric cars before anybody considers that we have a fuel efficient way to move people around and it's called "a bus" or "a train"

Yeah and this is unsolveable, it doesn't matter how efficient they are. They would have to propel themselves by pulling carbon out of the atmosphere for them to be a "solution" to climate change. You'd be able to plug one in and put a brick on the pedal and have it passively "solve" climate change.

The idea of carrying on with cars and just replacing them all with billions of electric cars is the same as planning to cause a mass extinction event. It all relies on the assumed future invention of nonsense carbon capture technology pushed by techbros and bargainers, who are kinda more dangerous than denialists, because they direct our resources into stupid bullshit while projecting a sense of something being done about the problem.

The only thing that can do it is reducing carbon emissions, but those go up every single year. Green energy doesn't replace the old energy, it adds to it and people instantly find a use for it, meanwhile fossil fuel use increases every year.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 30, 2023

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Is that cannibalism? They're both birds but, we eat mammals, or is it more like us eating primates? Is eating an ape cannibalism? I don't know I'm genuinely asking.

Humans and apes are both in the order Primates (class Mammalia), but seagulls are in the order Charadriiformes while chickens are in the order Galliformes (both in the class Aves) so it's not as bad as a human eating an ape but more like a human eating a pig.

edit: Also it seems like it's only seagulls that ever get the cannibalism discourse. No one ever cries fowl over a falcon eating a pigeon.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 30, 2023

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Columbimorphae (which includes pigeons) and charadriiformes (which includes herring gulls) had a common ancestor about 65 million years ago, whereas the pig and human last common ancestor was about 80 million years ago. So a gull eating a pigeon is fairly analogous to humans eating pigs, in terms of relatedness.

E: beaten!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah and this is unsolveable, it doesn't matter how efficient they are. They would have to propel themselves by pulling carbon out of the atmosphere for them to be a "solution" to climate change. You'd be able to plug one in and put a brick on the pedal and have it passively "solve" climate change.

The idea of carrying on with cars and just replacing them all with billions of electric cars is the same as planning to cause a mass extinction event. It all relies on the assumed future invention of nonsense carbon capture technology pushed by techbros and bargainers, who are kinda more dangerous than denialists, because they direct our resources into stupid bullshit while projecting a sense of something being done about the problem.

Mm, what you need is people not travelling places as much or if they are, using mass transport networks which can move lots of people at once, efficiently.

And that's going to involve a lot more things like getting rid of stupid jobs that don't need doing and giving people the means of living without the pretense that they need to be working to deserve it, getting people working from home if possible, putting services closer to people so they don't need to travel as far. Along with all the other poo poo in the same vein of building houses that last, clothes that last, technology that lasts, cutting production and consumption of disposable goods, cutting out the jobs producing and selling that crap, just making stuff that people need and getting it to them as efficiently as possible.

It's also going to mean retrofitting or abandoning a lot of current developments because a lot of them are predicated on cars being the primary form of transit, which they can not be if humans are going to live in the numbers we do for very long.

But that's a lot harder than "buy a new car to save the planet" for some people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 30, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

But that's a lot harder than "buy a new car to save the planet"

The same way that "Capital has the ability to subsume all critiques into itself", to quote the literature known as Disco Elysium, it will also turn any attack on growth into a new form of consumerism.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Betjeman posted:

Personally I haven't had to either emergency brake or swerve around someone in years and it's entirely likely that the turn was telegraphed and they decided to play chicken, but if I was suddenly confronted with a solid object 70 yards in front of me when I'm doing 60 my first reaction probably would be to go around it if the road was clear.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying it's prudent to switch to the right lane beforehand if you can because you never know what's coming down that slip road.

In general I find a lot of these car/cyclist arguments boil down to who's supposedly in the right when actually the question should be who's left. I both cycle and drive and I find assuming cyclists are suicidal and drivers are murderous/indifferent a good rule to live by.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shyrka posted:

Humans and apes are both in the order Primates (class Mammalia), but seagulls are in the order Charadriiformes while chickens are in the order Galliformes (both in the class Aves) so it's not as bad as a human eating an ape but more like a human eating a pig.

edit: Also it seems like it's only seagulls that ever get the cannibalism discourse. No one ever cries fowl over a falcon eating a pigeon.
I had a friend that kept chickens and they would sometimes feed them bits of cooked chicken which seemed hosed up to me but the chickens didn't seem to mind

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, what you need is people not travelling places as much or if they are, using mass transport networks which can move lots of people at once, efficiently.

And that's going to involve a lot more things like getting rid of stupid jobs that don't need doing and giving people the means of living without the pretense that they need to be working to deserve it, getting people working from home if possible, putting services closer to people so they don't need to travel as far. Along with all the other poo poo in the same vein of building houses that last, clothes that last, technology that lasts, cutting production and consumption of disposable goods, cutting out the jobs producing and selling that crap, just making stuff that people need and getting it to them as efficiently as possible.

It's also going to mean retrofitting or abandoning a lot of current developments because a lot of them are predicated on cars being the primary form of transit, which they can not be if humans are going to live in the numbers we do for very long.

But that's a lot harder than "buy a new car to save the planet" for some people.

I was getting ready to comically harrumph at your general stance that travelling to places is pointless (which I believe you'd hold even if planes were actively pleasant and good for the environment?), but yes, all of the above.

It even leaves room for travelling to places for an actual purpose that's tied to that place - for those that want it. Imagine if most of the people on a train were going to the city to see the city itself - while the people that work there can live near their work, or broke their stocks from home, if they must (they musn't).

Also reminds me of Douglas Rushkoff's current obsession with drills and lawnmowers - everyone has a minimal viable product drill or lawnmower that sits idle 99% of the time, but if you propose that there should be 1 or 2 shares ones per neighbourhood, people get all funny and antisocial, and/or boohoo about the poor drill/lawnmower manufacturers.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's no coincidence that the criticism of the 15 minute city thing is being funded by Capital in this dumb culture war, it represents an attack on growth, and it must be opposed at all costs, even at the expense of killing most life on the planet. Because noone is at the reins, we're all controlled by something much more abstract, the accumulated labour of dead humans, vampirically devouring us.

Even the rich and powerful are just acting in their class interests, pretending that they make conscious decisions.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's already provision for sharing tools that are used infrequently, it's called "tool rental" and yeah you could absolutely expand it and subsidise it.

And yeah, sure, it does dovetail perfectly with my preferred way of living generally, but part of the reason I live like that is because for most of my life I've not been able to afford to live any other way, so by necessity I've adapted and learned to enjoy it. And that's also why rich people are orders of magnitude worse for the environment than poor people.

Plus, just like... I wouldn't want to live slogging my guts out, saving up all year to blow it all on one or two frantic trips somewhere, every step of which costs a loving fortune. I don't get how to enjoy that. Would it not generally be better if you just had far more time to do what you wanted?

If I did have more time, and if it didn't cost a fortune, I might more frequently take the train somewhere nice. But the train does cost a fortune, and driving still costs a lot, and is stressful, so I don't want to bother.

Do you want the faff of having to constantly buy and replace and fix and fuel and everything else you have to do with cars, and clothes, and tech, and all the other poo poo you're increasingly required to have? Is it not easier to have things that you don't have to worry about? Personal stuff that lasts, public solutions to things where personal ones are impractical?

It's rare, honestly, that I come across consumer items that aren't just more burdens. Cars absolutely are. Convenient sometimes yes, but a burden all of the time. If we are to have them I'd rather just loan one from the car office or whatever, on the odd chance I need it. And I'd rather just not loving need it most of the bloody time.

There's people out there that seem enthusiastic about owning all the stuff and I just do not get it. Maybe it's easier if the costs are immaterial.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
One of the mental scars I have is some David Attenbourgh narrated thing about monkeys way back in the 80s/90s.
It shows chimps or some species and started with 'This species is mostly vegetarian' and shows them eating leaves.
'But sometimes they eat meat as a way to show dominance over another group' and showed them attacking, capturing a kid monkey who couldn't run, ripping it apart and eating it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

There's people out there that seem enthusiastic about owning all the stuff and I just do not get it. Maybe it's easier if the costs are immaterial.

I reckon it's a behaviour that made sense in hunter-gatherers, it assured survival, but then with agriculture things got a bit out of hand. Especially because people could no longer count their possessions on their fingers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

lol we're literally worse than Mississippi on wages

https://twitter.com/rayrod/status/1685627539857805312
Not sure if it's acknowledged in the full body of the text—I faced a paywall—but i tried looking up wage info and found that the median household income of the UK was indeed a few thousand less (£33000, ~ $42400) than the median household income of Mississippi ($49111), but that doesn't factor in private healthcare costs and other necessities that are packed in to UK taxes and spun off into separate privatized costs in the US.

I'm curious what numbers they were working with, I'm never sure what's the smsost useful measurements with that sort of thing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh yeah, not having a go at all, my only point of disagreement is that there are other countries I like to go sometimes. But my work has cut right back on sending me to places on a whim, and I'm glad of that.

Trains are stupidly expensive, both in the UK and across Europe when compared to flying :(

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Boiled Frog syndrome in the UK is remarkable. It is absurdly expensive for everything from butter to trains to houses while people are paid a pittance and anyone earning over 40k is seen as “posh”. This country is hosed. A basket case.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
it's okay to give up and submit yourself to resignation of despair... it's alright

It's valid

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

The Boiled Frog syndrome in the UK is remarkable. It is absurdly expensive for everything from butter to trains to houses while people are paid a pittance and anyone earning over 40k is seen as “posh”. This country is hosed. A basket case.

people just swallowed whole the idea that the country needs austerity in 2010 to an extent and for a duration that cameron and his cronies most likely couldn't have dreamed of back then

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
like, it's not ended, and they just keep extending it for more reasons and people just say oh well that's the way of it isn't it lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Frogs get free heating?
When my grandfather was alive during a war!?!
Outrageous.
Nigel will hear of this!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shyrka posted:

What about ducks, though?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
In the dark times
Will there also be singing?
Yes, there will also be singing
But it will subject to noise complains from residents of the new flats

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Shyrka posted:

Falcons are majestic, natural allies of humanity, you can have them chill on your arm and send them out to literally hunt things for you. Well I can't do that but other people can. As far as I'm aware, nobody has successfully trained a Seagull to steal chips, they just do it by themselves.