Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

syzpid posted:

I don't know, WWE did make him the first Undisputed Champ over The Rock & Austin. But then had no idea what to do with him and gave him Steph. I think giving him Steph was the worst aspect of that run.

The only reason he was the first undisputed champ was because HHH was out injured. If HHH hadn't blown his quads, Jericho probably wouldn't have even been in the tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I guess I’ll post it here since it’s WCW-related, but I found this on VHS today at a comic book store today and I’m pretty stoked about it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f8pg3

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I guess I’ll post it here since it’s WCW-related, but I found this on VHS today at a comic book store today and I’m pretty stoked about it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f8pg3

The entire thing? Very jealous.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Mr Hootington posted:

The entire thing? Very jealous.

Nah it’s like a 30 minute tape PWI put out but still neat nonetheless!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ganso Bomb posted:

It is. Cool find.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's not a popular opinion amongst the "wrestling is serious business" crowd, but the Jericho I like, and indeed pledge my loyalty to is the WCW "It's a conspiracyyyyyy!" Jericho with Ralphus and The Jerichaholic Ninja.

Also on Jericho GOAT talk:

Can he be useful to a company in the midcard? - Yes
Can he be a top face?- Yes
Can he be a top heel? - Yes
Can he be a creditable challenger to be fed to the company's top heel or face?- Yes
Can he do serious work? - Yes
Can he do comedy? - Yes
Can he use the mic to get himself and/or others over? - Yes
Has he done all of these things in multiple companies? - Yes
Has he done all of these things in multiple countries? - Yes
Can he be an entertaining guest/colour commentator? - Yes
Are his matches good? - Yes
Has he done all of this over a decades spanning career? - Yes

What else must the man do?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 29, 2023

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i still don't think he's as good as kobashi

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Can he do a 1080 poisonrana tope suicida

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Tell us where his wife was on January 6? :v:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

BrigadierSensible posted:

"YES!!!"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The big knock against Jericho as the GOAT is that he doesn't have the amazing match profile other contenders have.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Smoking Crow posted:

I think this is a controversial opinion but you are right

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

If it helps I don't think the entire thing exists on tape.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps I don't think the entire thing exists on tape.

If it does its on an unmarked tape somewhere in all the unexplored boxes that WWE got when they bought WCW.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

The big knock against Jericho as the GOAT is that he doesn't have the amazing match profile other contenders have.

It's this and also the fact that he doesn't have near the amount of feuds/program where you can point to as being the draw for a company like other GOAT candidates like a Kobashi/Tanahashi/Okada/Misawa/etc. Now this isn't quite fair cause WWE never gave him the chance but it does hold him back from being in that upper echelon

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fair. Though also that would mean that pretty much any US wrestler post-2000 has a massive handicap in any GOAT contest. Since if you were in WWE you were getting hamstrung by the booking/being hamstrung in terms of putting on amazing matches/programs and if you weren't you weren't performing on a large enough stage to count. Or you're relying on AEW's to this point relatively small sample size.

Unless you're John Cena I guess.

It's a shame Chris Jericho never truly got his due until he was almost 50.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE sure as hell makes any post GOAT discussion for US wrestlers hard yes, and it's gonna create havoc for the US WOR hall of fame too....But it's possible to break through. Bryan Danielson is a good example as even if ROH never was huge his stuff there absolutely felt like he was GOAT/Best wrestler in the world. And he managed to break through in WWE too despite them doing everything to kill that momentum

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I've been listening to some Flair interviews and podcasts about the old JCP days. I was wondering how much of it is contradicted?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 31, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

True, but few are. Misawa, prime Mutoh among his contemporaries, and out of the current group, Okada, Omega and Ospreay should be considered.

Serious talk though, there is probably a legitimate argument to be made that Jericho should be in the conversation about GOAT status though. At least, a North American GOAT.

The fact that he had a big part in AEW establishing itself as a viable alternative to the WWE as their inaugural champion and most people that have worked with Jericho in AEW have generally been better for it,

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 30, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jericho is one of the most entertaining wrestlers of all time. He's not the best in ring guy, or the best promo but he's great at both and has been for a long time.

One might say he is the Greatest Sports Entertainer of All Time.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
He has a great mind for the business too if you watch the post event press conferences AEW does. He's going to be around in some capacity for a long time and I'm glad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jericho is in the tier ilof GOAT with like Terry Funk for when they should've been hanging up their already established and enshrined Hall of Fame career that just kept on going and reinvented themselves to continue going and never losing respect for wrestling or by their peers. A true wrestlers wrestler that you'll see name dropped by those in the business as their personal heroes.

The Funk analogy is that there were eras of Funk too and he was a Hall of Famer before he ever became a deathmatch legend. Seeing classic Funk is incredible and with his brother Dory its just mindblowing he never stopped.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lid posted:

Jericho is in the tier ilof GOAT with like Terry Funk for when they should've been hanging up their already established and enshrined Hall of Fame career that just kept on going and reinvented themselves to continue going and never losing respect for wrestling or by their peers. A true wrestlers wrestler that you'll see name dropped by those in the business as their personal heroes.

The Funk analogy is that there were eras of Funk too and he was a Hall of Famer before he ever became a deathmatch legend. Seeing classic Funk is incredible and with his brother Dory its just mindblowing he never stopped.

Also seeing Funk in Road House AND Over the Top. Legend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ralphus was funny when he was with jericho but jericho bringing him in meant i had to see ralphus's rear end when he was wrestling for the hardcore championship after jericho left. for this jericho can never be forgiven

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Jericho is one of the most entertaining wrestlers of all time. He's not the best in ring guy, or the best promo but he's great at both and has been for a long time.

One might say he is the Greatest Sports Entertainer of All Time.

Yeah I think that's probably the best description for Jericho. Not the best wrestler or GOAT top guy, nor the best pure promo guy but probably the best at combining Promo's/Skits/and wrestling in a complete package

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

I get the comparison but Jericho's peak never really was on Terry Funk's peak in the 70's or in All Japan. Now on the other hand Jericho's later stuff is way better than Terry's ECW and Deathmatch stuff...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

ralphus was funny when he was with jericho but jericho bringing him in meant i had to see ralphus's rear end when he was wrestling for the hardcore championship after jericho left. for this jericho can never be forgiven

Did Ralphus really get fired for developing a giant ego?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Ralphus would get paid 500 dollars every night he made an appearance with Jericho. As the Ralphus character’s popularity grew….Riker smartened up and actually hired himself an attorney. John Riker’s lawyer was able to get him a very lucrative contract of about $80,000 a year, plus appearance fees. In some cases, Riker was making more money than some active wrestlers on the roster. Chris Jericho stated in his first book that Riker developed an ego and even had his own groupies at WCW shows.

When Jericho left the company to join the WWF, it appeared that Ralphus was done as a character. That was not the case, however, as he became a comedic sidekick to Norman Smiley during his Hardcore title run. Ralphus would remain a character up until 2000…when he would return to driving a truck for a living.

From https://ringthedamnbell.wordpress.com/2020/09/08/rikers-island-remembering-wcws-ralphus/

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Simply stunning.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

one of the smartest men in wrestling

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Wrestlers really are dumb as gently caress.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol I can't lie, I gotta give the guy credit.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Imagine THAT'S NOT CICLOPE but it's Goldberg instead. That would have been awesome.

Jericho is still my favourite wrestler ever, despite everything.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It would’ve been better if it were the Giant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been listening to some Flair interviews and podcasts about the old JCP days. I was wondering how much of it is contrsdict?
How big is contrsdict?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

How big is contrsdict?

Just a tiny one. 3 or 4

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

How big is contrsdict?

Not much, how big is contrsdict with you?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mongo took a turn for the worse :(

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1687576552576290817

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Just saw that, poor guy. ALS is a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Help a goon out: I need to find the WCW episode where Great Muta was on commentary randomly yelling ”VAMPIRO” on the mic.