Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

drat, I was there from the 2nd clue (unsurprisingly).

I was like, animated, hit in the face with a leaf, I know this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This was a trippy horror movie from only like... 5-8 years ago, I think it was on Netflix.

It's kinda bad and low-budget but something drew me to it. It's about a cursed book (it looked like a kinda cheap necronomicon ripoff) that fucks you up when you read it. Dudes keep being drawn to read it, but I can't remember 100% if it was for Hellraiser-like masochism reasons, just sheer insanity, or if there was some promise of a reward if you could complete the book. I think it opens with a scene of someone stealing the book from a dude who brags about having made it to something like page 17 and acting like that was some insane feat.

The main character of course tries to read it, and from there it has some serious bad acid trip elements. A monster is summoned that I think seemed like a clear metaphor for the main guy being a bad father or something along those lines, and there are repeated instances where he thinks some convoluted series of events has happened only to snap out of it and realize he's still just reading the book.

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to find but maybe Netflix kinda buried it or something, not sure if it was an original

e: err... poo poo. I guess it must be Residue (2017). I think I may have passed over that name because it's also another movie and a separate TV show and it did not ring any bells at first.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 28, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Neither of these really fit but I’m just thinking about evil book movies, it’s almost a bit of a trope, like the ring movies and that drat video cassette.
*Scary stories to tell in the dark
*Name of the rose

The king in yellow is coming out this year and is another “read this book[play] and go mad/die” stories but it can’t be that.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
I think this was a psychological or horror movie from the 90s, and I'm certain I've seen someone link the clip on the forums before I've defintiely seen a youtube clip of it. The scene in question is where the creepy super pale 'villain?' Is at a social event with the main character and to prove how strange and/or mystical he is tells the main character to call his own house on the phone. When he does, the creepy guy is on the other end at the same time he is still standing next to him and they have a brief conversation while the in-person creep stands there and smiles.

The 'creepy' guy's actor is definitely one that has popped up in some horror movies or show episodes (the X Files comes to mind), very soft spoken and just kind of has this unblinking stare which is perfect for those roles. Been trying to recall something else he has been in to backtrack a name from there, but failing so far.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wayback posted:

I think this was a psychological or horror movie from the 90s, and I'm certain I've seen someone link the clip on the forums before I've defintiely seen a youtube clip of it. The scene in question is where the creepy super pale 'villain?' Is at a social event with the main character and to prove how strange and/or mystical he is tells the main character to call his own house on the phone. When he does, the creepy guy is on the other end at the same time he is still standing next to him and they have a brief conversation while the in-person creep stands there and smiles.

The 'creepy' guy's actor is definitely one that has popped up in some horror movies or show episodes (the X Files comes to mind), very soft spoken and just kind of has this unblinking stare which is perfect for those roles. Been trying to recall something else he has been in to backtrack a name from there, but failing so far.
Lost Highway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Nailed it, that's been bugging me all day. I aaalmost remembered the clip being called 'mystery man' but kepy going with stranger and creeper. Thanks much.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wayback posted:

Nailed it, that's been bugging me all day. I aaalmost remembered the clip being called 'mystery man' but kepy going with stranger and creeper. Thanks much.
Lynch is definitely good at burning certain scenes into the memory. Mulholland Drive has at least one that most people will remember for the rest of their lives lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Martman posted:

This was a trippy horror movie from only like... 5-8 years ago, I think it was on Netflix.

It's kinda bad and low-budget but something drew me to it. It's about a cursed book (it looked like a kinda cheap necronomicon ripoff) that fucks you up when you read it. Dudes keep being drawn to read it, but I can't remember 100% if it was for Hellraiser-like masochism reasons, just sheer insanity, or if there was some promise of a reward if you could complete the book. I think it opens with a scene of someone stealing the book from a dude who brags about having made it to something like page 17 and acting like that was some insane feat.

Are you sure it wasn't a convention reading of The Eye of Argon?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Martman posted:

Lynch is definitely good at burning certain scenes into the memory. Mulholland Drive has at least one that most people will remember for the rest of their lives lol

That's one of the greatest scenes ever

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Robert Blake turned out to be an even bigger weirdo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh mean please watch Lost Highway without looking up more than you already know :allears:

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh mean please watch Lost Highway without looking up more than you already know :allears:

It's on the agenda now and I thankfully know only that scene and didn't evem realize it was a Lynch thing so now I am even more on board.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like to rewatch a couple of Lynch movies about twice a year in a little minimarathon and I even have a cute little name for it. Yes sir indeed all my friends love to be an active part of my Lynchings

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oldpainless posted:

I like to rewatch a couple of Lynch movies about twice a year in a little minimarathon and I even have a cute little name for it. Yes sir indeed all my friends love to be an active part of my Lynchings

You could even get t-shirts printed up for that mob

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Re-upping my two white whales since it's been over a year since I last asked :v:

Pilchenstein posted:

1 - cops are questioning a guy in prison, he's been inside so long he's never seen a cigarette with a filter on it before. Also the room they're in just looks like an office rather than part of a prison, maybe?

2 - cops breach a door by sticking some kind of tactical metal bucket full of grenades to it with suction cups. It's absolutely ridiculous. Saw this late 80s or early 90s.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What’s this from?

https://twitter.com/carlinspace/status/1685017586105475072?s=46

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zogo posted:

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Dammit, I finally knew one and got beat to it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he looks like neither Godzilla nor King Ghidorah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

he looks like neither Godzilla nor King Ghidorah

sometimes movies have characters that aren't included in the title

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sitting down to watch The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and getting super pissed off when they introduce a fifth guy

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's been over two years since I posted this so I guess I'll give it another go:

I saw this when I was a kid, it's an episode of Outer Limits or Tales From The Darkside or another sci-fi horror anthology.

These people are keeping a monster as a pet the in garbage dumpster of a hotel, and they're feeding guests to it, throwing them down the dust chute. The monster looks terrible, like a flaccid uncircumcised penis with fangs. I think in the end it's "owners" get fed to it by the main character/s who might be guests of the hotel.

I watched it in the mid 90s and it was on either before or after an episode of the Outer Limits where a scientist gets injected with nanomachines that evolve him into the perfect organism (eyes start growing on the back of his head, becomes invulnerable etc). I've found this episode (https://imdb.com/title/tt0667978/fullcredits/cast) but never came across the Monster in the Chute episode. I was certain it was Outer Limits but none of the episode recaps look familiar so I'm leaning towards it being another horror/sci-fi anthology franchise, maybe Ray Bradbury Theatre or Freddy's Nightmares or Tales From The Crypt.

It isn't the Tales From The Darkside episode A New Lease On Life - when this was first suggested I thought it was correct but now I realise it definitely isn't - nor is it the '80s horror film Brain Damage.

This would have aired on Sky One in the UK in the mid 1990s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It's been over two years since I posted this so I guess I'll give it another go:

I saw this when I was a kid, it's an episode of Outer Limits or Tales From The Darkside or another sci-fi horror anthology.

These people are keeping a monster as a pet the in garbage dumpster of a hotel, and they're feeding guests to it, throwing them down the dust chute. The monster looks terrible, like a flaccid uncircumcised penis with fangs. I think in the end it's "owners" get fed to it by the main character/s who might be guests of the hotel.

I watched it in the mid 90s and it was on either before or after an episode of the Outer Limits where a scientist gets injected with nanomachines that evolve him into the perfect organism (eyes start growing on the back of his head, becomes invulnerable etc). I've found this episode (https://imdb.com/title/tt0667978/fullcredits/cast) but never came across the Monster in the Chute episode. I was certain it was Outer Limits but none of the episode recaps look familiar so I'm leaning towards it being another horror/sci-fi anthology franchise, maybe Ray Bradbury Theatre or Freddy's Nightmares or Tales From The Crypt.

It isn't the Tales From The Darkside episode A New Lease On Life - when this was first suggested I thought it was correct but now I realise it definitely isn't - nor is it the '80s horror film Brain Damage.

This would have aired on Sky One in the UK in the mid 1990s.

You might check out Monsters, a series from the people who did Tales from the Darkside. There is one episode about a hotel with a monster in the basement that eats people and another about a bed that eats people, though neither completely match your description. Was it for sure an American or Canadian production?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

Sitting down to watch The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and getting super pissed off when they introduce a fifth guy

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover & Some rear end in a top hat

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gripweed posted:

I got so mad at Beethoven when Charles Grodin showed up

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Also Clifford when Charles Grodin showed up

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also Clifford when Charles Grodin showed up

My sister was obsessed with this movie when we were kids so I've seen it too many times

It's not good

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

My sister was obsessed with this movie when we were kids so I've seen it too many times

It's not good

I politely disagree

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grassy Knowles posted:

I politely disagree

Ok the scene where Clifford makes an insane face and Charles grodin says why can you act like a human is an actual thing my kid does and it makes me laugh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Should be Charles Rodan

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Alan Smithee posted:

Should be Charles Rodan

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

Ok the scene where Clifford makes an insane face and Charles grodin says why can you act like a human is an actual thing my kid does and it makes me laugh

Aren't you going to say something nice about Sarah's mother?

Alan Smithee posted:

Should be Charles Rodan

I think all contenders for King of the Monsters belong in dinosaur world, even if Steffen is the clear winner. Also I didn't know Rodan's first name was Charles

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

You might check out Monsters, a series from the people who did Tales from the Darkside. There is one episode about a hotel with a monster in the basement that eats people and another about a bed that eats people, though neither completely match your description. Was it for sure an American or Canadian production?

I'm fairly certain it was US/Canadian based. It wasn't any of the older British ones from the '80s like Tales of the Unexpected or Armchair Thriller, it was definitely "new" when I watched it.

Your suggestion of Monsters was good because this picture is very similar to the monster I remember in my head - like a really lame version of a Xenomorph chestburster

But the episode synopsis aren't jumping out at me. I'll keep investigating though because this is the best lead I've ever had, thanks

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm fairly certain it was US/Canadian based. It wasn't any of the older British ones from the '80s like Tales of the Unexpected or Armchair Thriller, it was definitely "new" when I watched it.

Your suggestion of Monsters was good because this picture is very similar to the monster I remember in my head - like a really lame version of a Xenomorph chestburster

But the episode synopsis aren't jumping out at me. I'll keep investigating though because this is the best lead I've ever had, thanks

There’s also The Hunger, which was new in 1997 and aired on Showtime in the US. It does have a few episodes about hotel rooms killing people, although no exact match. Or maybe Tales From the Crypt?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tried using ChatGPT to find the goons "Thought this car was cherry" movie, no dice

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

chatgpt probably thinks troll 2 is the sequel to troll

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chatgpt, create an adversary capable of beating Mr. Data.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
There's this movie where Patton Oswalt or someone who looks just like him [and it's kind of weird how many actor-comedians do when you'd think he'd be unique] plays a coach, teacher, or principal who sorta mentors an obese child.

Looked up PO's filmography and can't find it but it has a really sweet scene where after overcoming his insecurities the kid asks if he should ask out this girl that he's closely befriended and if a girl like her could ever truly be attracted to someone like him. And the principal says no, probably not, and that he shouldn't risk getting his heart broken just now. What makes it so interesting is that it's not played for laughs or setting up a scene where the kid makes a big gesture (TM). It just is what it is and coming from a caring place. And Oswalt looks pained to have to say any of this.

e: Turns out it's not Patton Oswalt, it's John C. Riley in the film Terri (2011). Thanks codyclarke.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Sounds like a great scene! Is it possibly from an episode of A.P. Bio?