Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I borrowed a book of short stories by Kurt Vonnegut from the library and one of them, "Welcome to the Monkey House," made me so angry, I never want to read anything by Kurt Vonnegut again, even though I liked "Cat's Cradle" and "Slaughterhouse 5" in the past. How did this short story get republished? They even named the short story collection after it! It basically argues that corrective rape of women is natural and good for them, actually . It's so gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nebrilos posted:

I borrowed a book of short stories by Kurt Vonnegut from the library and one of them, "Welcome to the Monkey House," made me so angry, I never want to read anything by Kurt Vonnegut again, even though I liked "Cat's Cradle" and "Slaughterhouse 5" in the past. How did this short story get republished? They even named the short story collection after it! It basically argues that corrective rape of women is natural and good for them, actually . It's so gross.

yea its trash. im not gonna defend it "it was the time" etc, its poo poo garbage.

i do like slaughterhouse v and mother night.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Breakfast of Champions is the goat

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The more Le Carré I read, the more I think: "this guy really wished he was Graham Greene (or, possibly, Vladimir Volkoff)". They're fine, and I could obviously be wrong, but still.

Greene definitely occupied some mental space in Cornwell's brain, going by the book of his collected letters that came out recently.

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
I liked this quote from BEE

https://twitter.com/petersavodnik/status/1617192520794124288?t=1B7vUUfRvBfcEZZmBvk-zQ&s=19

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Today my contractor finally finished the set of built-in bookshelves I was looking forward to using to store my recently-finished collection of the entire World of Darkness, along with all my other RPGs. Aside from everything else, I really wanted to get all the books out of the spare bedroom so I could go in there again.

The shelves broke under the weight, with the wood the pins were stuck into giving way and causing all of them to collapse onto the shelves beneath them, causing quite a bit of damage to the books. I'm extremely upset.

My contractor thinks that this can be fixed by using l-shaped pins instead of plain ones, and maybe drilling some new holes, but I'm skeptical. Is this a sign that the wood just isn't strong enough? I don't know.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

These shelves are supported just with dowels? I'm not a woodworker, just someone who has done a decent amount of home reno and projects, but I'd never use dowels alone to support bookshelves.

The cheap but easy / reliable way to do it is to install Pilaster strips on each side and use metal clips to hold up the shelf. That's how my house's built-ins in the living room are. Pros are that they're sturdy, cheap and easy to set up, and adjustable. It's not as attractive as all-wood joinery I suppose but it's easy, reliable, and completely fine unless you're like a 1%er who really can't tolerate metal strips on your bookshelves.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 30, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: If someone builds a bookshelf that doesn't hold the weight of books, they don't know how to build bookshelves, so don't ask them how to fix one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I've built my own bookshelves, but I use a router to cut slots to fit the shelves into the sides rather than using pins/brackets to support them. They're not adjustable, but it's more solid than using pins to hold them up.

If it's the pins that broke or pulled out, the fault is probably in the design of the supports, not the strength of the wood.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The pins slid out of the wood, so this morning we agreed to cut down the shelves to make space for l-shaped pins, which should have been how it was from the beginning, and I also insisted on adding a strip of wood at the back under each shelf that can be attached to the wall studs, which I hope is going to be enough.

Seriously, though, a shelf this long full of Chronicles of Darkness hardbooks is gonna have something close to 100 pounds on each one, so please let me know if you think I need more.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

"Here's a $20, standardized solution that will 100% work"

"The random handyman whose initial nonstandard solution failed, proposed another nonstandard solution that I'm gonna go with" :haw:

You do you man.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

"Here's a $20, standardized solution that will 100% work"

"The random handyman whose initial nonstandard solution failed, proposed another nonstandard solution that I'm gonna go with" :haw:

You do you man.

You should probably check, like, youtube, dude.

Among other things, try supporting the front edge of the shelves not just the back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would be unironically wonderful if people would explain the mechanics of this in detail to give me some ammunition, because I had to spend an hour arguing this morning just to be allowed to do the wooden strip thing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
any recommendations on grief / dealing with it?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

escape artist posted:

The Year of Magical Thinking is the definitive book on grief IMO. Might be too close for comfort if you’re not asking out of curiosity but actually need to deal with personal grief right now.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

I really liked The Year of Magical Thinking back when I read it.

Edit: lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

It would be unironically wonderful if people would explain the mechanics of this in detail to give me some ammunition, because I had to spend an hour arguing this morning just to be allowed to do the wooden strip thing.

The mechanics of Pilaster strips are that steel is stronger than wood

You're the one paying, right? You don't need to justify what you want, just say that's what you want. Or spend $25 and 30 minutes to install the strips yourself.

Pick up 4 of these bad boys per shelving area https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-72-in-White-Pilaster-Strip/3006365 and a pack of the metal clips that will be right next to them in the store and you're good to go.

If you're going to have 100 lbs per shelf make sure you get the heavy duty pegs

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 30, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Year of Magical Thinking is the definitive book on grief IMO. Might be too close for comfort if you’re not asking out of curiosity but actually need to deal with personal grief right now.

I need something that will immediately help me deal with personal grief

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rand Brittain posted:

Not trying to dunk on you unduly it's just . . . like, carpentry is a thing you can look up on youtube.

If you posted some photos or something I could try to give you some pointers but there are a few different things that could be wrong. Are the shelves cantilevered and only supported from the back, or are there supports in front too? Are there intermediary supports every however often down the shelving or did he try to build stuff completely freestanding? What wood did he use? How thick are the shelving planks?

There are several different ways to prevent the problem you're describing (more supports, stronger shelving, thicker shelving, etc.) and it sounds like there was a failure on multiple points.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Let's see. I apologize for being discombobulated; I've been waiting on these shelves all week, and then after finally being able to start putting my books back up and getting them off the floor, they collapse on me, damaging a lot of valuable books, and on top of that my dog has been sick all day, so I am not operating on all my cylinders.

Honestly, just getting confirmation that people who know a lot about books think more support is needing would probably be helpful to me.

This is what the bookcase looks like right now, with the old pins taken out and replaced and the shelves awaiting being sawed down a bit to fit:

This is what the holes looked like after the shelves collapsed:

Here are the shelves lying off to the side (they're 3/4" plywood):

Here is a close-up of the holes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
OK, yeah, sorry. If there's incompetence there it's beyond my expertise to spot it. Possibly the little metal shelf support dowels were too short and thus just slipped out / didn't give enough support? Maybe a third row of support holes and dowels in the middle?

Hope your doggy feels better ASAP!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 30, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Looks like it just gouged down the side, what the gently caress? What's the pin hole on the other side look like? How the hell does this happen without tearing the wood, these middle parts are plywood too, right? That should be strong enough.

Weird. DIY will surely have a wood working thread who knows.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Why would the shelves have to be changed at all? Check that one that's all hosed up -- there's like 3 that have damage. I dunno, something isn't right but I'm not sure what

E: those metal brackets are damaged too, one's in the wrong socket but they're all bent up
e2: maybe it's the right socket, they seem to all line up correctly could just be from me looking at the pic wrong

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 30, 2023

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, just getting confirmation that people who know a lot about books think more support is needing would probably be helpful to me.

I work in residential construction and specify cabinetry regularly. I also own around 1k books and related shelving.

There aren't any obvious flaws with the cabinetry you've described/shown. I assume the sides of the cabinetry are also plywood. I'm having a hard time visualizing the original pin (specifically, how it could drag down the side of the cabinet creating a groove while failing, without just falling away entirely from the load).

I typically specify a reinforced edge on any shelving wider than 33 inches. I typically specify a lock mitre: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/lock-miters/

It looks like you have a standard mitre, but there could be a detail I'm not seeing and perhaps your shelves are under 33 inches. In any case, if there's an issue you'll notice it pretty quickly (the shelf will bend when fully loaded).

I also specify bookcases with backs and one solid shelf (when they exceed 60 inches in height) roughly in the center to create a more rigid frame. Your carpenter may have attached everything to studs which would accomplish the same thing. If you push on the side walls in the center and they bend in or out, ask for them to be attached to studs around the midpoint to prevent this. There is nothing wrong with your carpenter's method, I typically need pre-built items for faster install but site-built is a fine solution. Just pointing out that there is an additional 'failure' method with site built cabinets without backs/solid shelves that has to be kept in mind.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Why would the shelves have to be changed at all?

They need a little bit of length shaved off to accomodate the thicker L-pegs.

quote:

E: those metal brackets are damaged too, one's in the wrong socket but they're all bent up
e2: maybe it's the right socket, they seem to all line up correctly could just be from me looking at the pic wrong

These are new, so if they're damaged there's a serious problem. I agree that figuring out which ones are next to each other in the moment is harder than it looks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In the last pic the back bottom pin is already falling out. I don't think they're actually bent out of angle, can't really tell, but that sucker is not all the way in its socket

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tezer posted:

I work in residential construction and specify cabinetry regularly. I also own around 1k books and related shelving.

There aren't any obvious flaws with the cabinetry you've described/shown. I assume the sides of the cabinetry are also plywood. I'm having a hard time visualizing the original pin (specifically, how it could drag down the side of the cabinet creating a groove while failing, without just falling away entirely from the load).

I typically specify a reinforced edge on any shelving wider than 33 inches. I typically specify a lock mitre: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/lock-miters/

It looks like you have a standard mitre, but there could be a detail I'm not seeing and perhaps your shelves are under 33 inches. In any case, if there's an issue you'll notice it pretty quickly (the shelf will bend when fully loaded).

I also specify bookcases with backs and one solid shelf (when they exceed 60 inches in height) roughly in the center to create a more rigid frame. Your carpenter may have attached everything to studs which would accomplish the same thing. If you push on the side walls in the center and they bend in or out, ask for them to be attached to studs around the midpoint to prevent this. There is nothing wrong with your carpenter's method, I typically need pre-built items for faster install but site-built is a fine solution. Just pointing out that there is an additional 'failure' method with site built cabinets without backs/solid shelves that has to be kept in mind.

Yeah this makes sense, if the walls aren't attached and can bow sideways that might explain why the pin sorta dragged down without ripping the wood

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tezer posted:

This is what they looked like after the shelves fell:

quote:

I also specify bookcases with backs and one solid shelf (when they exceed 60 inches in height) roughly in the center to create a more rigid frame. Your carpenter may have attached everything to studs which would accomplish the same thing. If you push on the side walls in the center and they bend in or out, ask for them to be attached to studs around the midpoint to prevent this.

The shelf actually does have a back, which is attached to the wall studs in four locations at the top and in four locations at the bottom. It looks like it isn't because the light switch has been brought forward via an extension box, which I wish they hadn't done and I'm looking to get it either removed and covered with a flat panel or replaced with a flat switch or one that's recessed somehow.

quote:

There is nothing wrong with your carpenter's method, I typically need pre-built items for faster install but site-built is a fine solution. Just pointing out that there is an additional 'failure' method with site built cabinets without backs/solid shelves that has to be kept in mind.

So, do you think it should work as it is with the new clips and maybe a replacement hole or two drilled, or should I still get the support strip of wood at the back under each shelf, or should I go all the way and ask for the pilaster that was suggested?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

This is what they looked like after the shelves fell:

That's a pretty odd way for them to fail. My two best guesses are: (1) the walls are fiberboard not plywood (but even this wouldn't CAUSE the failure necessarily) and (2) the pin wasn't inserted properly/the shelf was set on the 'hilt' of the pin instead of the flat and it wiggled out while you were loading it. Guess number two is the one that seems more likely. I use those same pins and haven't ever had a problem - except when I don't seat the shelf properly. They even make a version with a 'stop' that digs into the shelf to stop the pin from moving - helps illustrate that it's an issue:
https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cat...63/sku-12352180

I sometimes use these sleeves (not always visually appropriate). I have them on my shelving at home. They help prevent failing to insert the pin properly, because once the sleeve is installed the pin slides in neatly. When you're inserting the pin into plywood/fiberboard it's easy to fail to seat it right because it usually will encounter some friction during insertion. This is because the holes are typically drilled pretty tight to avoid the pins slipping, and then paint application can make them too tight.
https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/category/furniture-equipment/furniture-shelf-pins/metal-shelf-pin/metal-shelf-pin-sleeve/1051846/sku-326ANO

quote:

The shelf actually does have a back, which is attached to the wall studs in four locations at the top and in four locations at the bottom. It looks like it isn't because the light switch has been brought forward via an extension box, which I wish they hadn't done and I'm looking to get it either removed and covered with a flat panel or replaced with a flat switch or one that's recessed somehow.

They did this right, extending the box into the cabinet is how it should be done. If you need to keep the switch but want it 'flat-ish' you can install a 'tamper resistant' switch that uses a key to operate - they are pretty flat:
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/m1201-il

I thought it was site-built because of that strip at the top where you see a couple of screws. That's a detail I typically see on site-built cabinetry.

quote:

So, do you think it should work as it is with the new clips and maybe a replacement hole or two drilled, or should I still get the support strip of wood at the back under each shelf, or should I go all the way and ask for the pilaster that was suggested?

Hard to say - I would probably load a test shelf near the bottom, keeping a close eye on the pins while you do so, and see what happens. You shouldn't need the strip along the back, but perhaps there's some aspect of your install that will require it for stability that isn't obvious over the internet. I usually see the shelves start to fail (bend) well before I see any pin movement, if you aren't seeing any shelf bending but the pins are failing that's pretty unusual.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Were the original shelves using the silver brackets/pins instead of the gold, heavier duty ones that you have in the first set of pictures?
From the gouge, it looks like the whole bracket got worked out. Could be the pin in the back of bracket was not very long, or for some reason the pin compressed the edge of the hole so it could work out, or the hole was just too large so the pin could tilt and slip out.

escape artist posted:

I need something that will immediately help me deal with personal grief

I wish I had a recommendation for you, good luck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What are the vertical planks made from? They look like fiberboard from what I can see in those pictures. If they're not proper plywood like the shelves, they may simply not be strong enough for the weight you're wanting to put on them

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

StumblyWumbly posted:

I wish I had a recommendation for you, good luck.

Thank you.

Something about people dealing with the death of a parent would be nice. No, no Jennette McCurdy please :lol:

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 30, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

escape artist posted:

Thank you. *sigh* Lost my father yesterday

This is always a terrible thing to happen, and I hate that my cabinetry is in danger of overshadowing it. I wish I had a good recommendation, although in truth, the healing power of time is the only thing that really eases that pain, although being near other people helps.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Were the original shelves using the silver brackets/pins instead of the gold, heavier duty ones that you have in the first set of pictures?

From the gouge, it looks like the whole bracket got worked out. Could be the pin in the back of bracket was not very long, or for some reason the pin compressed the edge of the hole so it could work out, or the hole was just too large so the pin could tilt and slip out.

Yeah, it looks like this is probably what happened.

CommonShore posted:

What are the vertical planks made from? They look like fiberboard from what I can see in those pictures. If they're not proper plywood like the shelves, they may simply not be strong enough for the weight you're wanting to put on them

I'm assured that they're all 3/4" plywood.

Tezer posted:

They did this right, extending the box into the cabinet is how it should be done. If you need to keep the switch but want it 'flat-ish' you can install a 'tamper resistant' switch that uses a key to operate - they are pretty flat:

Well, I don't really need to keep it, because there's an identical switch that actually has a dimmer like six feet away. Still, the keyed switch is an option that might be easier for someone to install.

Thanks to everybody for the advice! It looks like the additional strip may not be necessary but I may still go forward with it for the sake of a little extra piece of mind.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

escape artist posted:

Thank you.

Something about people dealing with the death of a parent would be nice. No, no Jennette McCurdy please :lol:

Zen Master Thich Nhat Hahn has written a book entitled "How To Live When A Loved One Dies", I find his teachings quite comforting and accessible. If you are concerned about the Buddhist thing, I'm an atheist and still do many of his mindfulness meditations, which I find help me a great deal

There are loads of his talks available on youtube as well for immediate comfort.

Sorry for your loss

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bilirubin posted:

Zen Master Thich Nhat Hahn has written a book entitled "How To Live When A Loved One Dies", I find his teachings quite comforting and accessible. If you are concerned about the Buddhist thing, I'm an atheist and still do many of his mindfulness meditations, which I find help me a great deal

There are loads of his talks available on youtube as well for immediate comfort.

Sorry for your loss

I actually adore Thich Nhat Hahn but didn't know of this title, so thank you for the recommendation and for the condolence

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

escape artist posted:

I actually adore Thich Nhat Hahn but didn't know of this title, so thank you for the recommendation and for the condolence

I'm glad the recommendation meets with your approval.

There is another companion volume on this topic as well: https://www.amazon.ca/No-Death-Fear...s=books&sr=1-18

Again, very sorry for you, but I hope their memory can bring you peace and comfort

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My condolences escape artist. Glad to see that another goon was able to recommend a book more appropriate to your current situation.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Appreciate y'all

edit: I somehow stumbled on Matthew Lyons' A Black and Endless Sky. I read a teaser about there being an ancient door in the desert, and that was enough to get me in. It's okay so far.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 2, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

For those of you that aren't History Book Thread regulars, reposting this request from a teacher:

Grem posted:

Hello history book thread! Wow this is my third oldest bookmark, behind my mortgage and energy payments page.

I would like to humbly ask you folks for support. I teach 7th and 8th grade social studies in a pretty rough school district. Lots of problems with gangs, violence, drugs, you name it. I recently transferred to a brand new, as in first year it is open, school in the same district. In my previous school I had a lot of books from the school. Not text books, but nifty little books about women in history, how horrible life was for people in the middle ages, etc. I would give them to kids after they finished testing, or if they were done with assignments early, or a lot of other reasons. I also had a few of my own books, mostly about the Haitian Revolution, or the French Revolution, stuff I thought kids would be interested in. Here's one quick story about giving out these books:

There was a 7th grader, we'll call him Adam. He was always in trouble, would get mad at teachers often, walked out of classes a bunch, troubled homelife, all the red flags on his roster page, etc. He wasn't my student, he was on another team, but he was in my team's hallway once a day for a reading intervention class. He hated that teacher, I don't really blame her, she wasn't a pleasant person. One day he was cursing in the hall, super pissed at her, and I came out and gave him a book about Lafayette. It was my book, it was a little comic book thing. He looked at me kind of confused, it was our first real interaction. I went back into my room without saying a word to him. He was quiet, though, and he looked at the book once or twice. One of his friends walked by him and he said "Yo that motherfucker gave me a book." Throughout the rest of the hour I'd look out in the hallway, sometimes he was glancing at the book, sometimes not, it didn't really matter to me. But he kept the book.

I'm not going to lie to you, or myself, and tell you I sparked a love for history in this kid, but it did create a connection between the two of us, and every time he was heated in the hallway, I'd go talk to him. Not about history or anything, but the act of giving that book was an opening to let the kid know that I do care about him, so when he was cursing and yelling and I'd ask him "Adam, what's the deal?" he'd calm down and tell me what was upsetting him. Whether it was valid reason or not, I felt like he was at least honest with him and willing to talk to me like I wasn't an enemy.

At the end of the year I usually give out all of the books that were in my classroom that were mine, not the school's. So every year I'd start with a decent amount of books but would replenish my own throughout the year. I did the same last year, not knowing I'd be taking this new job. So I left all the books that belonged to the school behind. I got into my classroom for the first time this last Friday. I have no books.

I put my only remaining book from my own collection from last year, a book about Robespierre (that Amazon says is worth $94, wtf?!). I asked my admin for some history books, and because we're in contract negotiations (a confounding reason), I was told no, only literacy classes would get books supplied by the school. I asked my district's social studies coordinator, she said all social studies resources would be online.

So I have two bookshelves in my room, and one lonely book. My funds are extremely limited (I'm a teacher, single dad, and two kids, ya know?) So here I am humbly asking for help. If anyone would be willing to donate a history book, ANY history book, I would be eternally grateful. I have no reading level restrictions, as I'll be teaching kids with everything from kindergarten to 8th grade reading levels, and the kids with higher reading levels generally enjoy challenging themselves with big fat intimidating books.

If you would be willing to help with any used book that you've loved in the past, please PM me, and I will provide you with my address for shipping. I'm not expecting miracles, but a single book can be so important to some of these kids that I'm willing to try anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yep, that aligns with how I perceive the US.