Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like My Go but it's a bit too intentionally awkward/uncomfortable for me to fully enjoy in the way I did Bocchi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It is super funny that Anon is reverse Bocchi though

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
From ANN today:

quote:

Tonari no Yōkai-san Anime Confirmed With TV Broadcast in 2024

Manga centers on lives of yōkai, humans, gods who live alongside each other in town

Manga creator noho confirmed on Thursday that their Tonari no Yōkai-san (The Yōkai Next to Me) manga is getting an anime adaptation. The anime will be a television anime that will air in 2024.

Not having heard of this series, I went over and took a look at the manga...

Oh, this story is utterly charming. I hope they have a good team to do the series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nate RFB posted:

I like My Go but it's a bit too intentionally awkward/uncomfortable for me to fully enjoy in the way I did Bocchi.

MyGo! and Bocchi are very different shows despite being ultimately about a girl's rock band. Like, they aren't even really in the same genre.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

From ANN today:

Not having heard of this series, I went over and took a look at the manga...

Oh, this story is utterly charming. I hope they have a good team to do the series.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've watched the rest of the shows I've had on my try-to-watch list and I think:

* Undead Murder Farce is actually enjoyable, art style is pretty good, VA is great, plot is kinda interesting, OP/ED rock, will continue watching
* Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence - nice art, cozy but not much substance, the joke got a bit old by the end of the first episode, won't be watching
* BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! - my first introduction to the franchise, the art ranges from good to awkward, but the VA is pretty good, the first episode got me interested, great ED, tentatively will keep watching

Can anybody tell me more about BanG Dream and similar stuff? I haven't really watched anything like that until Bocchi the Rock which was amazing, so I'd like to know more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bang Dream's a multimedia franchise of girls band stuff. There's an anime that started in 2017 and has 3 seasons and a couple OVAs/films. The anime started in 2d but shifted to 3d, the 3d in the early stuff was very awkward but it's gotten a lot better. There's a mobile game that's also been running since 2017. The mobile game got a switch port that had most of the content from the first couple years but sadly it never got an english release.

The other anime are pretty good. S1 and S2 are pretty awkward and none of them get as heavy as mygo (and they're trying to cram in the entire cast of the mobile game so there's a lot less focus) but they manage some pretty good emotional beats still, and some very funny comedic timing. S1, since it was made before the mobile game, especially has some really weirdly funny jokes, since the whole thing's so unpolished and its clear they aren't quite sure what the franchise is.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I've actually decided to go back & watch the earlier 3 seasons of Bandori in advance of MyGO and it's been... An interesting experience. The 1st season I just found mediocre all around, after that it gets... Well, structurally it's a bit of a mess, and even as someone who has no beef with CG anime I think it's mostly just kind of ugly, but I find it oddly engaging.

The idea is that rather than following just a single band, it juggles focus between 6 different 5-man bands each with its own genre, personality and stuff it's got going on, which is quite ambitious really. One episode a girl will be talking about how she wants to form a band but needs to work 2 jobs to make rent for the space above the boiler room where she lives, the next another will be doing aerial stunts in a mascot costume that's actually a mech suit with jet boots. This allows for some colourful character dynamics as the various genres mix and match, but also turns the show into a bit of a roulette where any given episode can be either about one of the bands that are just deathly dull (which, unfortunately, includes the "main" team) or about the cool and exciting ones - but it's the latter that makes the whole excercise worthwhile for me. Season 3 in particular zooms in on a powerhouse band whose ambition & raw capability far outstrips their collective emotional maturity and it's made for some real good character drama

And naturally, the music is both quite varied as a result of the conceit and actually very good. Even if you're not interested in the show, Roselia's and Raise A Suilen's songs in particular are actually worth listening to independently

It's nowhere near the tour de force that BTR is and probably far from the 1st girls-doing-music anime I'd recommend but it's been fun. On S3E10 right now, and I can't wait to get to MyGO because every single thing I've heard about it only makes me more excited

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks a lot for the additional info! I will watch the currently airing anime before deciding whether I want to give the rest a shot.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

lordfrikk posted:

* Undead Murder Farce is actually enjoyable, art style is pretty good, VA is great, plot is kinda interesting, OP/ED rock, will continue watching
'voice actor has range' shouldn't be surprising, but finding out that rindo was also mitsumi skip and loafer made me go :stare: for some reason

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like bandori s2 and s3 a lot but it does somewhat suffer from having to somewhat know context from the mobage storylines to fill in the gap between s1 and s2, since it just drops 4 more bands on you. The core storyline of the formation of Raise A Suilen is real good though for those seasons, and sorta a precursor for MyGo. MyGo is nice since it’s not tied to mobage storylines while also having the polish of having years of experience writing bandori stuff that it really shines.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spellblades rapidly becoming my favourite show of the season.

Though to be fair I'm only watching thee shows.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They weren't joking about that 20% death rate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More like a 20% survival rate this year

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
neat that Spellblades ep4 jumped right into the action, especially when I'm like finally we get to see what kind of magecraft system they cooked up for this world

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sakurazuka posted:

Spellblades rapidly becoming my favourite show of the season.

Though to be fair I'm only watching thee shows.

Episode 3 was pretty weak and I almost dropped it, but 4 has the show back on track to being interesting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The First Slam Dunk is incredible. If you live near a theater that's playing it you are legally required to go see it. Hey, I don't make the rules.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
you know, between the enslavement of sentient beings, snuff events for the whole school and casual disregard for human life, I'm starting to suspect that somehow the mage society in 7 spellblades might be a little imperfect

what do ya'll think?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Spellblade ep4
can't tell if these bunch of random students that got slashed died or not. they kind of just disappeared in the next frame to be seen nowhere in the background like jrpg mobs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, besides Adventure 02 and the Digimon OVAs was there anything else notable announced in the latest Discotek update?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yes,

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1685350523078348800?t=B1Wj03EccxyuTw3IaY2w2Q&s=19

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol chargeman ken

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Stink Billyums posted:

lol chargeman ken

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IzFcvbiHbo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nanoha TV please so I can get StrikerS on BD with English subs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenny Lauderdale will have a field day knowing Chargeman Ken got a re-release.

EDIT: Yep

https://twitter.com/KennyLauderdal3/status/1685371910660423681

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 30, 2023

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
edit: oops not chat thread

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I forgot how good Horimiya is when it’s bouncing off the entire cast. I really like it but remember not liking how much it focused on side characters at the end, but maybe going back to it with that expectation might make me rethink it.

Ryza got its beach episode out of the way.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Hopefully we get Hinamatsuri Piece since they skipped a lot of side character chapters in that too

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

synduality noir is actually good so far, worth a look if you like the goofier mecha shows like aquarion evol or back arrow or whatever

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Spellblade ep4
can't tell if these bunch of random students that got slashed died or not. they kind of just disappeared in the next frame to be seen nowhere in the background like jrpg mobs.

They did, as the garuda going down meant the remaining students could start moving in to stabilize them. Given they're just random nameless 2nd year students who are completely irrelevant going forward though, it's not surprising the episode just cut that part of the resolution to the incident to focus on more important stuff.

The mildly disappointing part of the episode is that the garuda looks perfectly fine. Basically, in the LN it's described as looking haphazardly plucked all over and otherwise bedraggled, missing the vast majority of its feathers with the few remaining ones in clumps and patches. Basically garuda are supposed to have access to two elements - wind AND fire - and this one has been so ground down it's completely lost access to that second element (which is also why everyone isn't dead). As terrifying as it is in the fight, it's actually a crippled garuda, and looks the part. Here it's just... an entirely normal looking generic birdman monster. Obviously you're not going to get the long-winded descriptions or thoughts in adaptations for any number of obvious and good reasons, but bits of neat visual storytelling like that are nice.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yea, I can tell that there's a bunch of things lost in adaptation, but I can see it trying to do something.
The animation looks a bit janky at times and low budget, which I can excuse. I can still follow what's going on. The sound work and shifts to climax is pretty nice.

I loved for the MC does not tolerate bullshit, when the classmates were bullying the beast lover girl, he doesn't say anything, he just blasts them, lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

new tsutomu mizushima show, what is he cooking this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbFYZGG2f0M

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tales of Woe posted:

new tsutomu mizushima show, what is he cooking this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbFYZGG2f0M

Wait, where are the catenary wires?????

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Don't need caternary wires after the apocalypse

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait, where are the catenary wires?????

Dual mode electric plus diesel can run without catenary but they usually contract the pantograph when running on fuel. Animators hosed up.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yohane this week be https://twitter.com/digikerot/status/1685716865664835584

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In case you didn't the next season of Baki is up on Netflix.

Watching it right now and Baki continues to own

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
is it the animal or caveman arc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GateOfD posted:

is it the animal or caveman arc

Caveman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched all of the Slam Dunk anime in a month to prepare for the movie. The show was fine. The movie made me cry. Hard to imagine any sports anime movie can top this.