Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
He's a hotep and his moves pause you in time....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Buschmaki posted:

He's a hotep and his moves pause you in time....

More specifically visually his design is horribly boring, he's just kind of... a guy. A future guy?

The MK11 characters really didn't do it for me, people like Kano or Johnny Cage feel like they have a much stronger sense of style with things like their terminator eye or tattooing their own name on their chest. Hell, even the palette swapped ninjas have slowly become far more distinct over time.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

maruhkati posted:

They've got him, Reiko, AND Li Mei - they're eating like they haven't eaten in years. Any day now Kai is gonna show up.

Also, it's hilarious that Geras of all people got an entire reveal trailer. As if the WHOLE WORLD was waiting to see if he made it back.

Honestly I'm kind of disappointed they went with Darrius instead of Kai for a weird 3d era pick unless they're gonna show him off later

I sort of remember Ed saying they wanted to have Kai do Capoeira but whenever they tried they couldn't really make it work (ie. If it's not totally real and deadly kung fu it's not in Carlos Pesina's mocap rolodex) so they scrapped the idea. I think this is a great time to dust off that concept and bring out Violent Eddy Gordo as a kameo

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would have bet large amounts of money that Geras was a one-and-done. He had no personality and saw little play. Really, really surprised they saw something salvageable there.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

CapnAndy posted:

I would have bet large amounts of money that Geras was a one-and-done. He had no personality and saw little play. Really, really surprised they saw something salvageable there.

Yeah, same. Hell, pretty sure Kollector got more play than him, and now I'm wondering if he's coming back

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Geras. He's basically the Terminator in 11 and in 1 it's like "what if the Terminator got to get a non-poo poo job" and that's interestnig.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, same. Hell, pretty sure Kollector got more play than him, and now I'm wondering if he's coming back

I'm kinda glad that Kollector never got a Discourse about him, 'cause his design might be a little antisemitic?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

I like Geras. He's basically the Terminator in 11 and in 1 it's like "what if the Terminator got to get a non-poo poo job" and that's interestnig.

He was also one of the most popular characters in competitive play for quite a while.

More importantly, Geras trained at the dawn of time to invent crucial moves like the elbow drop and running neckbreaker. He's the first pro wrestler.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

He was one of the most popular tournament characters for a long time though? He had a lot of KBs and they were all things that would trigger throughout the normal course of a match. Other characters had to fish for the KB requirements first.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

With Darrius making it in as a kameo, there's hope for my boy Kobra.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
There's so much of me that wants to see William Zabka loan out his voice and likeness for a Kobra kameo

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know, if the Motaro Kameo is cool old Motaro they should make lovely bipedal Motaro playable so you can really make it weird.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

pretty soft girl posted:

Lol that they bothered putting in Darrius just to make him have some of the most boring generic looking moves in the entire game so far

Guess it's true to the source material, the weird hardcore 3d era fans must be thrilled

I think I posted this in the other thread when he was first revealed but Darrius is the absolute worst of the 3D-era characters in terms of memorable moves, which makes him especially ill-suited to be a cameo since they're all staying faithful to whatever the characters originally did. That spin-kick he does in the new trailer (which they basically changed into a completely different thing by having the main character fling him around) is the most memorable move he has, and it's completely recycled from Cyrax from the game before.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

AndyElusive posted:

With Darrius making it in as a kameo, there's hope for my boy Kobra.

im hype for Mavado

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If I had to pick someone to bring back it'd be Havik of course, but I want to see some new faces. Bring out the original characters, Ed.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

NRS (and old Midway) pull surprises like that on the regular though. No one predicted Li Mei would be back on main roster duty after Deadly Alliance because she was perceived as whitebread and boring, yet there she was in Deception. Or how they saw fit to bring back Bo' Rai Cho in the MXL ultimate DLC despite him not being in demand nor well-liked by the fanbase.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Geras was super popular in competitive so it's not entirely surprising that he's back. If you played KL for any appreciable length of time at all then you had to learn that matchup.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1685433610801651712?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Kai is back baby

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Red circle? Crimson sphere? It’s red circle crimson sphere man!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Its not Kai. Noticeable lack of tattoos going over his shoulders to his chest. Most likely story fatality fodder.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That's just Doug.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Crowetron posted:

That's just Doug.

He's DLC. Very expensive!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think that's Jade as a kameo fighter at 2:20?

I think the core game looks great and initially the kameo system sounded really fun but the main roster characters and all the stages look incredible, and the kameo characters seem out of place many times I see them from not seeming to have as much care put into their designs. That brief clip of Jade looks good, but then Goro and especially Sektor look particularly bad imo and stand out because of it. I really like Sektor & Cyrax as well and it's great to have them in some form, but I wish they'd made them look better. They don't have to ditch the MK3 designs but some more detail would go a very long way, imo. At the other end of the spectrum you have Motaro looking fantastic in that cutscene leak.

Regarding non-MK DLC characters, I've always thought Pinhead would have been a perfect fit for the game but I think the chance has passed now since MKX was focused on horror guests, MK11 was focused on action guests and MK1 seems focused on superhero guests.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

SUNKOS posted:

I think that's Jade as a kameo fighter at 2:20?

Nah, that's Frost

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Crowetron posted:

That's just Doug.

Forget it. I'm outta heeere.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My bet is that it's just a random White Lotus nobody who gets owned soon after and Boon is 100% trolling.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ed Boon would never troll, how dare you

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
He's generic and forgettable. It's Cole from the new MK movie if it isn't a redshirt.

Boon even joked about adding him at the time. In fact, that was the troll. Making us think he was joking.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Donnerberg posted:

He's generic and forgettable. It's Cole from the new MK movie if it isn't a redshirt.

Boon even joked about adding him at the time. In fact, that was the troll. Making us think he was joking.

poo poo, I would love that. Like how Hsu Hao immediately dies in the MKX prequel comic.

Just, Cole Young swaggering in and summoning his golden basket shirt. Then Kung Lao's hat flies in and cleanly takes off his head.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's just a generic monk, you can see another generic-looking monk stepping out of the portal behind Raiden, they just teleporting with the homies for some reason

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
If he's anything, he's a placeholder for a not-yet-revealed Earthrealmer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

If he's anything, he's a placeholder for a not-yet-revealed Earthrealmer.

Christoper Lambert

Not Raiden. Just Lambert, hanging out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gavok posted:

He's DLC. Very expensive!

You BROKE my COMBO?!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Orv posted:

Christoper Lambert

Not Raiden. Just Lambert, hanging out.

"Somebody named Christopher Lambert has been with us the whole time?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's Art, obviously

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Why, to create peace, did Liu Kang turn a japanese guy and a white guy into chinese people?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Liu Kang
Hates: Shang Tsung

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That's absolutely fan favorite kombatant Art Lean

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

Why, to create peace, did Liu Kang turn a japanese guy and a white guy into chinese people?

People are saying the new Scorpion is Kuai Liang, the second Sub-Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Donnerberg posted:

People are saying the new Scorpion is Kuai Liang, the second Sub-Zero.

Yes, he made a japanese guy into a Chinese person for "stability" . . .?