Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Steam is having a stealth game sale, and what looks like the whole package of DLCs for Alien: Isolation is 10 euro, which presumably translates to roughly ten bucks too. My question to you, Alien friends, is are the DLC worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Steam is having a stealth game sale, and what looks like the whole package of DLCs for Alien: Isolation is 10 euro, which presumably translates to roughly ten bucks too. My question to you, Alien friends, is are the DLC worthwhile?

yeah, the nostromo ones are easily worth that by themselves. less familiar/sure about the rest, but the (two? iirc) nostromo ones easily worth 10 euro.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The other ones are little bite sized challenges of do [Isolation objective solving stuff] in this part of the station to get the thing to the place. Nothing amazing but nice to play around with the items and stuff, but yeah the two Nostromo DLCs alone are worth that no question so do it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

loving MICHAEL BIEHN will be at Tucson Comic Con (about a 2 hour drive from my house) in a month.

I can get him to sign my 1st edition USCM Technical Manual (which has already been signed by Lance Henriksen).

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

loving MICHAEL BIEHN will be at Tucson Comic Con (about a 2 hour drive from my house) in a month.

I can get him to sign my 1st edition USCM Technical Manual (which has already been signed by Lance Henriksen).

Nice!

I watched an interview with Biehn where he says going out to Cons helped him slide back into public life after his health problems.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Please pass on our love.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was happy to see him in an episode of The Mandalorian :unsmith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was happy to see him in an episode of The Mandalorian :unsmith:

I was so sad when he bought it lol, they should keep bringing him back as that same character semi-regularly but have him get killed in the same episode with no explanation for how he's still alive.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Give the old man a big hug for us

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Tell him you loved how he came up with the way hicks survived the escape pod in colonial marines

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Have any of you seen Lily C.A.T?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_C.A.T.

It was an anime movie *HEAVILY* inspired by Alien and The Thing. Picture if the Nostromo picked up a Thing instead of an Alien.

Full movie is free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_lkp58Jd0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fatrick posted:

Have any of you seen Lily C.A.T?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_C.A.T.

It was an anime movie *HEAVILY* inspired by Alien and The Thing. Picture if the Nostromo picked up a Thing instead of an Alien.

Full movie is free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_lkp58Jd0

I dig this flick though it's a bit long feeling in the way a lot of OVAs of that time were.

Something fun about it is that Yoshitaka Amano did the creature designs for it! And while quite a few things in there are ripped from The Thing, he reused some of them as part of the boss NEO EXDEATH in Final Fantasy V. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Thinking about "Aliens" (the "movie")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsoVaDDS72w

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cross post from the GIF thread:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the stickied mspaint thread.

WarpedLichen posted:

That is awesome.

Thanks to Grey Cat's tutorial and the excellent Baby Billy I was inspired to go back and color my Hudson. It was really hard but also really fun!

:allears:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

From the stickied mspaint thread.

:allears:

Yes.... Yeeeees

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150440/Aliens_Dark_Descent/

Aliens: Dark Descent is on sale for $32 now. 20% off.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From the .gif thread:

Kheldarn posted:

:siren: Spoilers Ahead If You Haven't Seen Predator Yet! :siren:

https://i.imgur.com/FjlpIra.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/6u1Imyj.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Android Apocalypse posted:

From the .gif thread:

:sever:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

Please pass on our love.

Personally I think OP should try to top the Picardo shot(s)

drat I dunno what you'd have to say though...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Personally I think OP should try to top the Picardo shot(s)

drat I dunno what you'd have to say though...

I’m gonna say that I loved him in Aliens Colonial Marines and ask if he’s done any other Aliens franchise work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

I’m gonna say that I loved him in Aliens Colonial Marines and ask if he’s done any other Aliens franchise work.

Don't tell him I had to trick him to say the words "something awful" in the Cameo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Don't tell him I had to trick him to say the words "something awful" in the Cameo.

Wait, what Cameo?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Cross post from the GIF thread:

This is amazing.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what Cameo?

lmao you havent seen this?

Also, here is Michael Biehn (Hicks) saying hi to all of us.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what Cameo?

OP bitch. <:mad:>

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How much did that cost you?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

How much did that cost you?

When I started talking about it in this thread, it was $25. I kept putting it off because I didn't know how long this would last and he blew up real quick for some reason so it shot up to $85.

Just about 4 years ago.

Cameo just came out though (I think). I have no idea how they operate now.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh hey, the frustratingly cumbersome Aliens board game with the really good plastic dollies is getting a third expansion box: "We're in the Pipe, Five By Five". Will include the Ferro and Spunkmeyer figures to complete the crew, plus 4 variant mini-boss Xenomorphs.

Game will still be mess of Too Many Systems for my liking, but would be nice to complete the set of figures so I'll probably drunk order it once it's out.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I wanted to give a shout out to the posters that suggested Outland and Lily C.A.T.

Two very good movies that definitely fit the Alien theme.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Decided to pick up Dark Descent in the Steam sale, figured if it doesn't work well on my ancient PC then I can always refund it. I'm pleased to say that with a mixture of low and medium settings my machine (i5 4670k + GTX 1070) can usually hold around 60fps at 1080p.

Absolutely brilliant game and I'm glad I paid attention to all the positive opinions about it in this thread. Some highlights for me so far:
  • Lost a marine who's trait was "Bad Luck" on day 1 after being dragged off by a xeno, seems appropriate.
  • Lost half my squad in my first trip into a hive and just barely got the surviving half out intact.
  • Went back in with a full strength and upgrade squad and still barely completed the mission leaving all of them heavily traumatised.
  • Gave a speech to try and boose morale but it backfired and left all my marines exhausted.
  • Had a fight break out between two marines which left them exhausted also.
  • Have managed to develop a badass sniper lady but she is also heavily traumatised and takes forever to reload anything.

10/10 would bug hunt again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
gently caress. I don't have time for another game right now, but it's on sale and posts like that erode my resolve. Stop it

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Lord Ludikrous posted:

10/10 would bug hunt again.

So it's XCOM with Marines and Aliens?

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Barbie yesterday and the first thing that came to mind was Newt reminding us all that a doll is just a piece of plastic.

Really took the oomph out of Barbie’s existential dilemma.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the draw mspaint characters thread.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
So, I was thinking about Aliens again now that my wife is off to visit the in-laws for a few days. Instead of digging out my old collectors edition box set and DVD player, I checked and saw the whole series was on Hulu. Does anyone know what version of the films they're using? I did a Google but couldn't find it.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
If it's anything like the Disney+ ones I can watch, they're all the standard theatrical cuts.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Fatrick posted:

If it's anything like the Disney+ ones I can watch, they're all the standard theatrical cuts.

So that's the no-sentry-gun-scene version? Sorry, I love the pew-pews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, looking at runtimes, they're the standard editions