Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Do it, it's worth a watch and an eerily quiet summer night is probably the ideal circumstances. It's only kinda horror though.

Counterpoint: Vast of Night is maybe the greatest 44m Outer Limits episode ever, stretched to a full-length feature. It's really good, but it is padded as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’ll also recommend Banshee Chapter as a supernatural investigation film. I kinda can’t say it’s a great movie, just too uneven, but I have a soft spot for it and it has a couple of really effective scares as well as making one of the main characters a Hunter S Thompson expy investigating a supernatural horror drug, which is unique as hell even in this specific sub genre

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I loving love supernatural investigation movies. They're probably my favorite genre. Watching Vast of Night right now its pretty decent. Probably going to watch Dead and Buried next.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
When I first watched The Vast of Night, I enjoyed it, but I found it a little dry and underwhelming compared to the hype. But it stuck in my brain and I found myself thinking about it a lot, and on the eventual rewatch it solidified for me how good a film it really is. It's an interesting mix of some showy filmmaking (the big tracking shot towards the beginning being an obvious example, among other long takes) but also segments that could just as well be a radio play.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vast of Night isn't big on scares but hell if it isn't one of my favourite horror pairings ever with the two leads. I was fully invested in both of those characters and genuinely liked them in a way that I usually don't with horror. That alone smoothed over a lot of the film's rough edges, along with a pretty strong sense of place. Maybe not a great horror movie but a thoroughly enjoyable movie in and of itself imo. I wish I could've seen it at a drive in or some kind of outdoor theatre.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any good films about doppelgängers? I loved It Follows, They Look Like People & of course Bodysnatchers. Anything that plays with the fear of something familiar being sinister or uncanny. Also the fear of everything around you changing into something predatory. I haven’t seen Possession yet, I heard it plays with some of those themes.

Basically looking for something like Mandela Catalogue but less creepypasta-style.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Power Walrus posted:

Any good films about doppelgängers? I loved It Follows, They Look Like People & of course Bodysnatchers. Anything that plays with the fear of something familiar being sinister or uncanny. Also the fear of everything around you changing into something predatory. I haven’t seen Possession yet, I heard it plays with some of those themes.

Basically looking for something like Mandela Catalogue but less creepypasta-style.

Would Orphan: First Kill qualify? If not, this is an excuse to recommend Orphan First Kill.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone should watch Orphan First Kill regardless.

For specifically doppelganger horror, the original 2014 Goodnight Mommy. Perfect Blue is a classic for a reason too.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 30, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Power Walrus posted:

I haven't seen it yet but Enemy is supposed to be good

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Power Walrus posted:

Cam
Dual
Enemy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Vast of Night for me taps into the same creepy feeling I got as a kid watching UFO shows. The creepiest stuff is just people telling stories. I just adore it lol

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Infinity Pool features doppelganers multiple times. And speaking of Cronenberg, this Japanese Cronenbergian body horror film I saw last October has now been released onto Screambox in the US. It's called New Religion and I wrote up my thoughts here.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Carpet posted:

Japanese

Carpet posted:

Cronenbergian

Carpet posted:

body horror

Welp, guess I know what I'm tracking down tonight.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Space Fish posted:

FYI for those going in blind: no Eurythmics at all

Man gently caress this

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Welp, guess I know what I'm tracking down tonight.

This is amazing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Power Walrus posted:

The Broken (2008)

"After seeing herself drive down the street, Radiologist Gina McVey unravels a mystery centered around a broken mirror."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Carpet posted:

Infinity Pool features doppelganers multiple times. And speaking of Cronenberg, this Japanese Cronenbergian body horror film I saw last October has now been released onto Screambox in the US. It's called New Religion and I wrote up my thoughts here.

drat the synopsis for this is cool as hell.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Power Walrus posted:

Definitely watch Enemy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay I watched The Vast of Night (Good) and am now watching Dead and Buried which is also good. Whats next on my investigation themed horror watch?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Definitely watch Enemy

yeah Enemy really nails the feeling of dreamy doppelganger dread.

Twin Peaks, especially The Return, is also worth a go

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I need suggestions for investigative horror! You have 15 minutes!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I need suggestions for investigative horror! You have 15 minutes!

Is it time for a Mothman Prophecies rewatch yet?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Thai movie Shutter is investigative in nature if I recall.

The Ring is, also, IMO.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Is it time for a Mothman Prophecies rewatch yet?

Oh that's a good one. I haven't seen that in so long it'll be like watching it fresh again.

edit:

drat it not available to me

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 31, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've watched like ten different Mothman documentaries since the last time I saw The Mothman Prophecies so I'd probably get a kick out of rewatching it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The George C Scott Changeling movie is also investigative is it not?

As well as The Devil’s Backbone. Most ghost stories, really since a lot of the run time is often devoted to discovering why there are ghosts and why they are haunting people.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Brotherhood of the Wolf is an investigation movie :iiam:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The stuff has an investigator

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I settled on Cast a Deadly Spell

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

I settled on Cast a Deadly Spell

Julianne Moore is literally just Jessica Rabbit in that movie. And Clancy Brown was born to play a noir heavy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Julianne Moore is literally just Jessica Rabbit in that movie. And Clancy Brown was born to play a noir heavy.

Yeah its too bad that Fred Ward didn't reprise his role in the sequel but Dennis hopper is alright.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mothman prophecies Owns but there’s some godawful stock sounds during the bridge collapse and it nearly ruins a pretty solid scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPyNZm9YIA

At 5:30 the stock sounds begin. They even have the ahhh real monsters sound lmfao

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cast a Deadly Spell is good but the use of the f slur and its derogatory approach to gay people is not. Like I understand its suppose to be 1940s but eh.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Definitely watch Enemy

Less horror, but Richard Ayoade’s version of The Double from the same year is also very good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Cast a Deadly Spell is good but the use of the f slur and its derogatory approach to gay people is not. Like I understand its suppose to be 1940s but eh.

Yeah its general handling of LGBT issues is a big ol’ negative and the one thing that stops me from recommending it to everyone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah its general handling of LGBT issues is a big ol’ negative and the one thing that stops me from recommending it to everyone.

I mean I'd still recommend it. I've seen it before but it had been awhile so I'd forgotten about some parts of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean, the laughed-off statutory rape might be another.

e: that being said, it's still a drat fine time at the movies assuming you can get past that kinda thing

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 31, 2023

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I don't count Vast of Night as horror, but I think it's just a fantastic movie. I think my favorite scene was when the screen is just black and you're listening to that guy tell the story.

Actually, yeah, it does bring up some fears of the unknown, and the scene in the car is pretty scary. It gets a pass.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Just finished New Religion, and I liked it, but it's definitely not going to be for everyone. The pacing is pretty slow, even by J-Horror standards, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it would have been just as effective trimmed down by 20 minutes while still not having to lose anything beyond lingering shots. I also think the body horror term is apt, but should emphasize that it's more conceptual body horror rather than practical body horror, so if you think you're going to see anybody lose a limb or something, you're not. It's an imperfect comparison, but think of it as something spiritually like Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure, but by way of David Lynch. The more I think about it, I think it's really intriguing that the whole thing comes down to some nightmare combination of loneliness and grief met with a kind of religious zealotry and transformation. The parallels with the Aum Shinrikyo cult are interesting as well. I can loosely sketch together how it relates -- salvation through a single man, emphasizing the Christian aspects of Aum Shinrikyo, ultimately leading to a perverted reincarnation where the soul leaves but something else takes its place and form (like the distorted Buddhist aspects of the cult). I also think it's really interesting that the reincarnation metaphor, and the thing the photographer is always studying, is a moth rather than a butterfly. Butterflies are beautiful and elegant, and being reborn as a butterfly would be a more beautiful rebirth. Instead you come back as a moth; ostensibly a very similar insect, but one that's much less loved and much less attractive. Lots to think about that might clarify with another viewing..

Anyway, I liked it. I think folks should just be prepared for a much slower, virtually blood-free experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

The stuff has an investigator

The name's Mo. They call me me that because when people recommend investigative horror movies, I always want mo'.