Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Do you get anything at all for the free tier?

I think it's worth it. Even if you sub for one month and get the most recent animations you can unsub. I think at this point most things in pathfinder are covered with the paid version. JB2A also charge per release, not month. Right now one of them is having a family issue and doesn't look like there will be a release for July (the versions are usually released at the end of the month). As the other poster said, if you have the income it really is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah like the free ones is fine, but the pay one is so much better and not all that expensive really.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Jarvisi posted:

Does anyone have experience with the pf2 animations mod for foundry? Trying to see if it's worth it to do the paid tier of jb2a animations

It's brilliant. It's flashy and very cool. You can just buy one month, get everything, and then unsub from the patreon. Resub at some point in the future if you want all the stuff that's been added since, otherwise you've got lots of cool effects for a fiver or so.

Worth it, imo!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lamuella posted:

You do pay the price of its range being absolute dogshit.

Eh, the vast majority of fights take place within 40' and as mentioned you get 80' against your prey which is almost always plenty

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Rythian posted:

It's brilliant. It's flashy and very cool. You can just buy one month, get everything, and then unsub from the patreon. Resub at some point in the future if you want all the stuff that's been added since, otherwise you've got lots of cool effects for a fiver or so.

Worth it, imo!

Ahh I assumed I'd lose access after an update if I unsubbed. I might just try it out then!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Piell posted:

Eh, the vast majority of fights take place within 40' and as mentioned you get 80' against your prey which is almost always plenty

it seems to be a very effective trench broom. I'm just thinking of encounters I've had, especially large encounters, where 40 feet would only get you a small section of the map. If it's the right weapon for the job I'm sure it's exactly the right weapon for the job.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Phalanx Piercer is also a notable upgrade from the Longbow; you trade away deadly for a higher base damage due (D10 vs D8), but more importantly, you get Razing (which is niche, but Tl;dr, let’s you shred shields and objects that might need destroying, like hazards, and more importantly, the Concussive trait, which basically means “if target resists piercing, gently caress you, this weapon does bludgeoning damage now”, which, for a ranged attacker is… a big deal sometimes, what with the prevalence of piercing weapons among ranged options.

It does still have Volley though, so a shortbow for close quarters still wins a lot.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Phalanx piercer also has reload 1, which is a big downside compared to a longbow.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I am surprised to hear that staying out of volley range is significant enough to recommend the shortbow over the longbow. Most fights my wizard has to get closer to get within the 30-foot range to cast a spell and i'm never really planted in one spot so moving away isn't to hard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gurragadon posted:

I am surprised to hear that staying out of volley range is significant enough to recommend the shortbow over the longbow.

Many, many fights in 1st-party adventures take place in areas wherr you just cannot start more than 30ft away and having LoS @ >30ft is difficult. And many DMs pattern their fights the same way, especially in urban or underground areas.

One of the hallmarks of TTRPGs for me since time immemorial is wanting to build cool long-range mobile kits, but then realizing that no DM alive ever makes for a big enough map/fight to really use them fully.

This is also because having a massive battlefield where an archer could hang out at 250ft range is intensely boring strategically for everyone else, especially melee, as it would take many rounds of triple moves to catch up with someone peppering you from long range.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah. A Pathfinder game I'm in started at a longer range than the GM expected (because they forgot that the only person who'd be invested in sneaking closer to the fight before it starts was the sniper), and it ended up being a lot of boring set-up in initiative order while the gunslinger kept having bad rolls.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I know it's for game balance, but a closer target being *harder* to hit for a bow just makes no sense.

It's closer! It's easier to hit!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jarvisi posted:

Does anyone have experience with the pf2 animations mod for foundry? Trying to see if it's worth it to do the paid tier of jb2a animations
It's awesome and well worth the patreon sub

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I know it's for game balance, but a closer target being *harder* to hit for a bow just makes no sense.

You don't aim at what you are shooting at, you aim to arch up and have it come down on them. That's why it can hit from 600 feet away. And probably part of why mastering the longbow takes a hella long time.

Like this famous image, the red line is the volley.

Of course if the longbow actually worked like this you wouldn't be able to use it dungeons with low ceilings at all. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

have you played space invaders

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, intuitively if it's in the middle of a melee it makes sense to me, it would be much harder for an archer to aim while a creature or beast is loving with them and getting them off-balance. Ultimately abstractions can never capture every single dynamic of a fight, and this is fantasy on top of that, and I think the designers of PF2e erred in a design direction that made more sense than past editions (let's be honest, PF *maybe* will stop feeling like a D&D off-shoot with the remaster, but that's what it is).

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

pf2 is not a simulation game it is a dracolich game you can suspend your disbelief

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

You don't aim at what you are shooting at, you aim to arch up and have it come down on them. That's why it can hit from 600 feet away. And probably part of why mastering the longbow takes a hella long time.

Like this famous image, the red line is the volley.

Of course if the longbow actually worked like this you wouldn't be able to use it dungeons with low ceilings at all. :shrug:

I'm not sure if you're joking or what, but that's not how bows are/were used. Archery in combat does not look like the movies where people fire arrows high into the sky*. Most shooting-people-with-arrows was done the normal way, where you aim and launch an arrow more or less directly at your target.

I interpret the volley trait more as it being difficult to nock, full draw, and launch an arrow when an enemy is close enough that you're worried that they can charge you and stab you before you're able to reach full draw.

* There are a couple of very specific instances I can think of where you would fire an arrow in a super-high arc, but they are very niche. One is to harass an opposing army at maximum range, to force the opposition to move closer to your army, and the other is launching a signal arrow that you either need everyone to see or hear.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 30, 2023

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody who has made d&d games has ever thought about the realism of archery in it and you shouldn't either

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Andrast posted:

Nobody who has ever made d&d games has ever thought about the realism of archery in it and you shouldn't either

Actually the problem is that they have, and because nerds don't understand anything related to physical exertion, they've completely misunderstood it and made bad design based on their out-of-shape "intuition." Cf. the weird game designer talking about weapon chains using his computer mouse as an example of "how it should work."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking or what, but that's not how bows are/were used. Archery in combat does not look like the movies where people fire arrows high into the sky*. Most shooting-people-with-arrows was done the normal way, where you aim and launch an arrow more or less directly at your target.

I interpret the volley trait more as it being difficult to nock, full draw, and launch an arrow when an enemy is close enough that you're worried that they can charge you and stab you before you're able to reach full draw.

* There are a couple of very specific instances I can think of where you would fire an arrow in a super-high arc, but they are very niche. One is to harass an opposing army at maximum range, to force the opposition to move closer to your army, and the other is launching a signal arrow that you either need everyone to see or hear.

Then why do they call it archery and not straightery?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Actually the problem is that they have, and because nerds don't understand anything related to physical exertion, they've completely misunderstood it and made bad design based on their out-of-shape "intuition." Cf. the weird game designer talking about weapon chains using his computer mouse as an example of "how it should work."

The archery in pf2 is fine

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yes i cast a spell to raise my dead ally who is the sexy fox princess scion of a lost empire of sexy alien fox people, who was killed by a swarm of tooth fairies, but weapon chains physics? no, no that will not stand

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

two gunslingers square off, 25 ft from each other...

first action...I step back to avoid the -2 accuracy penalty for being "too close"

second action..

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

two gunslingers square off, 25 ft from each other...

first action...I step back to avoid the -2 accuracy penalty for being "too close"

second action..

Pistol duelists realized this was unfair to the person who won initiative, which is why both participants now walk 10 paces before the duel starts.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's also unrealistic to not have a one handed reach spear, and yet.

Game balance is weird sometimes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Dick Burglar posted:

Even cursory research suggests that a longbow is less accurate at short range than a shortbow because of the higher draw weight, though? So I'm not sure this is the place to go "lol nerds don't physical".

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cyouni posted:

Even cursory research suggests that a longbow is less accurate at short range than a shortbow because of the higher draw weight, though? So I'm not sure this is the place to go "lol nerds don't physical".

I have no idea what "cursory research" you're citing that indicates that higher draw weights (which are irrespective of "short" and "long" bows, since those things are arbitrary and relative terms) are "less accurate," because that makes no sense. It can be argued that it's more difficult to be accurate with a higher draw weight bow but, again, that has nothing to do with the "size" of the bow, and also says nothing about the innate accuracy of the bow itself.

Are you trying to post purposefully wrong poo poo?

Andrast posted:

The archery in pf2 is fine

It is! I never said it wasn't. I was making a point more broadly about how physical exertion tasks are often wildly misunderstood by out-of-shape nerds.

I'm also sad that I cannot find the example I am (vaguely) remembering. I think it had to do with a tabletop RPG, but I'm not sure which.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

I have no idea what "cursory research" you're citing that indicates that higher draw weights (which are irrespective of "short" and "long" bows, since those things are arbitrary and relative terms) are "less accurate," because that makes no sense. It can be argued that it's more difficult to be accurate with a higher draw weight bow but, again, that has nothing to do with the "size" of the bow, and also says nothing about the innate accuracy of the bow itself.

It is! I never said it wasn't. I was making a point more broadly about how physical exertion tasks are often wildly misunderstood by out-of-shape nerds.

I'm also sad that I cannot find the example I am (vaguely) remembering. I think it had to do with a tabletop RPG, but I'm not sure which.

The mouse cord thing? It was PF1, IIRC.

Also:

Andrast posted:

Nobody who has made d&d games has ever thought about the realism of archery in it and you shouldn't either

Dick Burglar posted:

These posts are more compatible than they seem. I feel like RPG designers often overthink how both swords and guns (and in the specific case of Gygax, polearms) work, but not bows particularly.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Hellioning posted:

It's also unrealistic to not have a one handed reach spear, and yet.

Game balance is weird sometimes.

I bring you tidings of great joy- Breaching Pike. Absolutely agree it's odd how long it took them to add it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Evilgm posted:

I bring you tidings of great joy- Breaching Pike. Absolutely agree it's odd how long it took them to add it.

Weird as hell that it is uncommon and specifically hobgoblin, but okay, I'll take it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Dick Burglar posted:

Even a quick search tells you that people generally consider a long bow to be ~6-7 feet, and a short bow to be 3-5 feet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Weird as hell that it is uncommon and specifically hobgoblin, but okay, I'll take it.

Well, it's representing the hobgoblin martial tradition. It's from treasure vault, it's good worldbuilding (I let a PC in my Abomination Vaults game take it, with the idea being that you can get anything in Absalom.)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pair of hobgoblin fighters marching single file through one of the abomination vaults many spacious corridors.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Hobgoblins needed some ancestry weapons, because when they first released there weren't any at all so their ancestral weapon feats were pointing at nothing. Whips are still probably better though because flail/hammer crit spec, even after the remaster gates it behind a save.

I still need an opportunity to make a Hobgoblin Swashbuckler with the Braggart style sometime, because hobgoblins have some absurdly good ancestry feats for Demoralize.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Hobgoblins needed some ancestry weapons, because when they first released there weren't any at all so their ancestral weapon feats were pointing at nothing. Whips are still probably better though because flail/hammer crit spec, even after the remaster gates it behind a save.

I still need an opportunity to make a Hobgoblin Swashbuckler with the Braggart style sometime, because hobgoblins have some absurdly good ancestry feats for Demoralize.

I’m playing this right now. It’s enormous fun. At low levels the damage is a bit anemic, but you bring a lot of control and off tank type play; then at level 8 you get bleeding finisher and become The Boss Killer.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Chevy Slyme posted:

I’m playing this right now. It’s enormous fun. At low levels the damage is a bit anemic, but you bring a lot of control and off tank type play; then at level 8 you get bleeding finisher and become The Boss Killer.

That sounds amazing.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Chevy Slyme posted:

My original plan was actually Champion for maximum AC and shield block reactions, with Antagonize via Swashbuckler archetype. You wouldn't get to reset the 'cooldown' on Demoralize attempts per target that way, but Demoralizing Lash could let you keep the Frightened up indefinitely on nearby targets and others needing to attack you to clear their Frightened (and the psychic DoT that came with it) would be a lot more likely to be wasted attacks.

Building around Demoralize can be really effective because feats like You're Next and Battlecry can let you cheat out the actions for free or as reactions instead.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I'm brand new to Pathfinder in general and have read the past few posts here and decided to dive into the online resources for the system and made me an Investigator. Did I understand that at level 2, I could take Gunslinger dedication and now have pistols?

I usually sit in the forever DM side of playing (by choice! I'm super hyped to run PF), but this kind of character building really sucked me in.

I came up with a Gnoll Magus that fights with a flail this morning, and I think I kinda love this guy and my potion slinging, Moriarty-hunting, pistol wielding Investigator if I understand any of this! :black101:

E: if anyone cares I can post my build ideas or try to share the character file somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zeg posted:

E: if anyone cares I can post my build ideas or try to share the character file somehow

If you're using Pathbuilder, you can share a link to the character with this option:

That said, yes, Gunslinger Dedication does give you proficiency in guns, so the idea you describe would work just fine, caveats about firearms themselves notwithstanding.