Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Perestroika posted:

Somebody posted a view from within one of the neighbouring buildings, and yeah it's insane light pollution and seems easily bright enough to trigger seizures when it starts flashing.

https://twitter.com/realchrisjbeale/status/1685353135236403200

And I see he's taking down the old Twitter sign at night - still not blocking off the pavement or using any safety cones - to try and avoid being caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZLXMKMgnS8
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/273729

quote:

The pilot of the tail wheeled-equipped airplane reported that, he was on an approach to land at an uncontrolled airport behind two helicopters. An airport surveillance video showed the accident airplane flying over the runway about 20 seconds after a helicopter was in a slow hover taxi adjacent to the runway. The pilot reported that he saw the helicopter and decided to land long to maintain separation. He added that while on short final, he saw a helicopter 'cross' the runway, so he increased engine power to full and attempted a go-around. About one-third of the way down the length of the runway, the airplane encountered the helicopter's downwash, and the airplane entered an uncommanded steep right bank. The pilot applied opposite aileron, but he was not able to maintain control of the airplane. Subsequently, the airplane impacted right of the runway and sustained substantial damage to the right wing and fuselage. The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.

According to Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular No. 90-23G, Aircraft Wake Turbulence, 'pilots should avoid taxiing or flying within a distance of three rotor diameters of a helicopter hovering or in a slow hover taxi, as the downwash can contain high wind speeds.

Probable Cause: The pilot's loss of airplane control during a go-around as it encountered wake turbulence from a slow hover taxiing helicopter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Real big "kid releasing a bunny into the wild only for an owl to instantly swoop in and grab it" energy

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/h1BeseQ.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/taDlDTg.mp4

Your artisanal glass bottles

https://i.imgur.com/nZiqq8F.mp4

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

totally worth the risk. he could have gotten to his destination 3 or 4 seconds faster!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

he would have had to crane his neck to see any hazards

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

teemolover42069 posted:

totally worth the risk. he could have gotten to his destination 3 or 4 seconds faster!
Yeah, the driver has strong "the loving pedestrians are almost through the crosswalk, time to start nudging into them" energy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I actually thought they were gonna slide right on through based on the distorted camera perspective, wouldn't we all look foolish if they'd pulled it off

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/dy7ecNm.mp4

My first real job was a retail store in an old K-mart building, where the ceiling was probably around 30' up. Any time a ceiling light burned out, we had to grab one of the extension ladders off the shelf (that no one ever bought) and climb up there ourselves. It was honestly pretty terrifying because extension ladders like that will wobble as you go up them, and the angle was usually pretty steep because it was always the lights in an aisle that went out, instead of out in the open.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 30, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Reminds me of working a festival where we had to hang up festoon lights between trees, and some of them were supposed to go up 20-30ft high. Basically, we had to run steel cable through the trees, then run the lights along the cables, fastening them together with zipties as needed. We were supposed to have access to a cherry picker but someone in charge of organizing hosed up and it was being used elsewhere that day. The guy in charge of our group suggested we just use ladders instead (on uneven dirt, oh boy!) but since none of us were willing to do something that stupidly dangerous, the guy just did a poo poo ton of cocaine and had us support the ladder while he did it himself. Fortunately he never fell and no one else got hurt, but it was stupid because we had access to the cherry picker the following day and could safely do about as much work in two hours with it as we did the entire previous day, but it's hard to persuade a man on cocaine that he's making poor choices

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

one time those mold numbers on the bottom of molded glass came in handy at the drug factory, cuz we used vials for a fill that was the end of one batch number and the start of the next from the RM supplier in Mexico. Once the old batch got FIFO'ed through the oven and we started running glass from the newer batch, the stopperhead in the room jammed. Me and another guy were trying to fix it but it just didn't make any sense what was going on, some of the vials passed through just fine but some others got stuck - then, of course, one that was stuck shattered and we had to throw everything away and just stop and take inventory. That's when we realized vials from molds 2, 7, 15 and 23 all had a neck 1mm taller than the rest and we had to destroy half a million units of glass and call the RM supplier lol.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I like the little dance it does

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/h959jSI.gifv

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Good thing the two guys overloading the basket capacity of that baby trailer boom didn't have harnesses on, or they never could have escaped. Why did noone just drop the boom from the base control? Why did driving a bobcat over with a demo bucket seem like a better plan?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ironhead posted:

Good thing the two guys overloading the basket capacity of that baby trailer boom didn't have harnesses on, or they never could have escaped. Why did noone just drop the boom from the base control? Why did driving a bobcat over with a demo bucket seem like a better plan?

imagine you're sitting in a bobcat cabin, and trying to find a solution that doesn't increase your exposure to the ambient BEES. is getting out and pushing a lever really gonna be your first choice?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Tommy Boy is a God damned national treasure.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bird with big dick posted:

It could use a banjo soundtrack

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

silentsnack posted:

imagine you're sitting in a bobcat cabin, and trying to find a solution that doesn't increase your exposure to the ambient BEES. is getting out and pushing a lever really gonna be your first choice?

It's an open cab machine, and two people walk past the controls before the bobcat shows up? But yes, going for the controls would probably be my first choice, but I've been working with lifts like that for twenty-ish years and have had to take control at the base during emergencies more than once.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ironhead posted:

It's an open cab machine, and two people walk past the controls before the bobcat shows up? But yes, going for the controls would probably be my first choice, but I've been working with lifts like that for twenty-ish years and have had to take control at the base during emergencies more than once.

And it's still too close to the bees or wasps or whatever.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I wonder how many times this has been ground down and rewelded (reweld?) With the 3/4"+ of bead away from the crack, it seems like someone has tried to fix this numerous times :stonklol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, the driver has strong "the loving pedestrians are almost through the crosswalk, time to start nudging into them" energy.

You can see he never actually comes to a stop, he's just so goddamn eager for that train to be past

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/N8OO1mL.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/PcJ03m3.mp4

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Where's the aliexpress listing? I could use one of those. I'll find out what exactly later.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Where's the aliexpress listing? I could use one of those. I'll find out what exactly later.

https://www.usilandlaser.com/smart-grid-cleaning-device/remote-laser-litter-removal-device-for.html

e: alternately

https://www.sptlaser.net/fiber-laser-obstacle-remover

finally the engineer class is possible in laser tag

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 30, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

I'm the bottle of flammable PVC cement inches from the literally glowing hot glass

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

i wonder if the stole the design from that guy who does laser youtube videos

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That's a 600W laser and you can just, like, buy it and shoot poo poo. My job has a ridiculous (but good!) level of safety requirements for laser use in experimental setups for way less powerful lasers. We need laser eyewear, safety interlocks, and I think any laser use outside has to be cleared with the FAA or the Air Force or something. That's horrifying.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like how they're aiming the tree destroyer laser just a degree or two below what look like power lines.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Entropic posted:

I like how they're aiming the tree destroyer laser just a degree or two below what look like power lines.
The fusible boundary you mean.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm sure those things are stupid expensive, but gently caress I want one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hate to be a pilot anywhere in a several mile radius of that

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
what's the range on those?

:thunk:

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

This looks like the ideal roof turret for my Chevy Bolt. I winder how many miles it will cost to fire.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Okay, but can one of those lasers be used as a sophisticated meat grilling contraption

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How many hours did each cut take?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Okay, but can one of those lasers be used as a sophisticated meat grilling contraption

Yes, but only very small quantities, and you have to be quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Lone Badger posted:

How many hours did each cut take?

None, it fires little invisible blaster bolts that blow things up instantly, and you can't convince me otherwise :colbert: