Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

I am utterly convinced he sold state secrets, and that it will be part of of a superseding indictment.

That tape going around a few weeks ago proved that he would take these out and just show it to people, to make himself seem cool.

Why bother buying them, when a few nice words will have him showing them to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

eke out posted:

the kingdom of saudi arabia gave jared a two billion dollar investment so my money's on him, if anyone, being the one that actually did some sale of state secrets

I feel like anything that involved jared and state secrets would get very Burn After Reading very quickly.

Actually for pretty much any of the trumps.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I just want to quote this snippet of pure bitterness which comes out of nowhere because lol

quote:

Second, the reasonable viewer, unlike when Sullivan, Butts or Gertz were decided, no longer takes the time to research and verify reporting that often is not, in fact, news. As an example, only one month ago, the United States Supreme Court issued a well written 237-page joint opinion with vastly divergent views in two cases known widely as the Affirmative Action decisions.5 Within minutes of the release of the opinion, the free press had reported just what the opinion supposedly said and meant although it was clearly impossible that the reporter had read the opinion. And of course, those initial news articles were repeatedly shared, commented upon and disseminated over social media and still to this day the reasonable viewer very likely hasn’t read the opinion and never will. This is the news model of today.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ah yes, the “you’ve taken me out of context” defence. Worked great for Alex Jones when he insisted you needed to watch hundreds of hours of Infowar footage in order to fully comprehend the footage of him dismissing Sandy Hook parents as actors.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gregday posted:

That he really, really, really wants a copy of the docs at MAL, even during the trial about why he should not have the docs, makes me extra suspicious that he was selling them.

Knowing Trump, it could very well just be that he wants to be able to call up his lawyer and talk about things whenever he wants, even if it's just random toilet thoughts at 2am. Having to make an appointment with his lawyer to go to a specialized facility to talk about the classified evidence seems like just the sort of thing that would get on his nerves in the first place.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Tayter Swift posted:

I just want to quote this snippet of pure bitterness which comes out of nowhere because lol
Not entirely out of nowhere, the judge is a federalist society hack appointed to his prior gavel by Rick Scott and this one by Trump. He also deeply loathes Sullivan

quote:

Trump asks the Court to reconsider New York Times Co. v. Sullivan. See Complaint (DE [1] ¶ 47, n.41). The Court is unable to do that; the case is legally binding on this Court. This Court has previously written and quoted Judge Laurence Silberman that the Sullivan case has no basis in and “no relation to the text, history or structure of the Constitution, and it baldly constitutionalized an area of law refined over centuries of common law adjudication.” Tah v. Global Witness Publishing, Inc., 991 F.3d 231, 251 (D.C. Cir. 2021) (Silberman, J. dissenting). But any disagreement based on textualism is effectively moot for this lower Court once the Supreme Court has spoken.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Jarmak posted:

No, it's not a sane request, he's asking for a free pass to commit felonies. People who are supposed to have access to those docs can go to prison for taking them outside the SCIF.
I think it's actually much worse, though T may not have actually had this motive: "See they said I could have the documents!"

There may be a legal distinction for approved handling of scif-exported classified documents, but the general public is only going to hear endless noise from T that he did nothing different, "just having them outside a scif is no problem see! but they're charging me for that! witch hunt! Biden's weren't declassified or approved, prison!". It would set up an apparent legal contradiction.

He's basically asking for all the possession charges to be effectively dropped via a slippery slope argument, which plays well for his "optics" in Tsocial posts.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The law is you handle classified material as per the regulations for handling classified material.

How can a judge set aside the law without entirely invalidating it? Either it’s lawful and enforceable or it isn’t. “Well, right now, because I feel like it, I’m going to set this law aside and ignore any damage caused by it as just the cost of business. You are free to break the law for a couple years because I said so, so judged.” *bangs gavel*

Like, what? How is this a question?

If security classifications and punishments for violations aren’t legal, which is what cannon would have to rule here, then that’s going to be a big loving problem.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Charlz Guybon posted:

You love to see it

twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1685231092247244800

OVERNIGHT: A federal judge (appointed by Donald Trump) dismissed Trump’s lawsuit claiming CNN defamed him by using the phrase “The Big Lie,” which Trump says implicitly compares him to Hitler.

Lawsuit dismissed *with* prejudice.

Yeah nice to see these just getting dismissed before they get anywhere. Hopefully kills off the motivation to file this kind of litigious crap since I'd hope there are minimal to zero defense expenses?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah nice to see these just getting dismissed before they get anywhere. Hopefully kills off the motivation to file this kind of litigious crap since I'd hope there are minimal to zero defense expenses?
T just filing one line lawsuits these days: "Godwin's Law, checkmate libs".

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

T just filing one line lawsuits these days: "Godwin's Law, checkmate libs".

Quirk's Exception.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump is proudly reposting his letter from Richard Nixon.

https://twitter.com/archivesfdn/status/796397087839703040

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I guess that would have been around when he was promoting Art of the Deal. He could still coherently speak back then. Dude was always a dumbfuck, but he could get to a point if you drew him a straight line to it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Trump is proudly reposting his letter from Richard Nixon.

https://twitter.com/archivesfdn/status/796397087839703040

Would be funny if this were a common sort of letter they sent out and dozens of people received similarly worded notes from the Nixon’s.

Dear X,

Saw you there, you’d be great in politics. Love dickie

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A new sort of Dear Richard letter

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Ah, yes, Richard "Crook" Nixon. A fine specimen of utter corruption and dishonor.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Not that it matters but the Nixon Center rebranded itself as the center for the national interest and hosted the infamous 2016 foreign-policy speech investigated by Mueller.

https://gordonua.com/english/news/e...sky-316154.html

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Meatball posted:

That tape going around a few weeks ago proved that he would take these out and just show it to people, to make himself seem cool.

Why bother buying them, when a few nice words will have him showing them to you?

maybe it's "oh yeah i'll show you the cover sheets and some juicy excerpts for free, but the complete document will cost $$$"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That's incredible.

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1685425784070995973

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well thats a lie.
We know he doesnt actually pay anyone except Stormy Daniels. :D

There was an article a few days ago saying that his rally in Erie today wanted payment in advance.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pennsylvania-town-wants-trump-to-pay-in-advance-of-rally-2023-7?r=US&IR=T

"According to a recent report from the Erie Times-News, Erie Mayor Joe Schember wants to be reimbursed for any fees related to the upcoming rally ahead of time, after Trump's campaign failed to repay the city more than $35,000 following a campaign event in 2018."

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 30, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

OgNar posted:

Well thats a lie.
We know he doesnt actually pay anyone except Stormy Daniels. :D

There was an article a few days ago saying that his rally in Erie today wanted payment in advance.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pennsylvania-town-wants-trump-to-pay-in-advance-of-rally-2023-7?r=US&IR=T

"According to a recent report from the Erie Times-News, Erie Mayor Joe Schember wants to be reimbursed for any fees related to the upcoming rally ahead of time, after Trump's campaign failed to repay the city more than $35,000 following a campaign event in 2018."

Hope they got it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Hope they got it.

If so, it’s only because Trump put pressure on some sycophants to pay it out of their PAC or pockets.

Did he have any guest speakers that day? If so, I’d give good odds that they are 35k out of pocket on the opportunity.

Edit: any political message on these events is entirely secondary to their value as income generation. I 100% expect that Trump will cancel at the last minute and stiff everyone involved if he’s not going to get some minimum level of guaranteed payment.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 30, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1685758369083052032

Confirmed that they were planning on indicting the IT guy too but he wisely flipped, Nauta and De Oliveira are loving morons if they don't take a plea deal, Taveras is going to gently caress them and Trump is going to say they were acting alone.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1685758369083052032

Confirmed that they were planning on indicting the IT guy too but he wisely flipped, Nauta and De Oliveira are loving morons if they don't take a plea deal, Taveras is going to gently caress them and Trump is going to say they were acting alone.

IANAL, but somehow I don't think the case relies on Nauta and De Oliveira taking a fall and going to jail for Trump. Just curious: how long do federal trials take? Weeks? Months? That is, could the documents trial still be ongoing during the November election? I realize all the caveats about "this has never happened before" apply.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ynglaur posted:

Just curious: how long do federal trials take? Weeks? Months? That is, could the documents trial still be ongoing during the November election? I realize all the caveats about "this has never happened before" apply.

Could be a few weeks, could be almost two months, depending on which lawyers you're inclined to believe.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Even without De Oliveira's cooperation, they have a witness who can testify that he was acting on orders from "the boss".

Edit: and that's also only one of the 32 counts, so that's not a huge deal if they can't get that to close.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm now contemplating the hellworld scenario where the trial starts October 2024, Trump wins the election in November, he's convicted in December, pardons himself after the inauguration in January only for SCOTUS to rule the action unconstitutional in February and he has to serve as President from jail.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm now contemplating the hellworld scenario where the trial starts October 2024, Trump wins the election in November, he's convicted in December, pardons himself after the inauguration in January only for SCOTUS to rule the action unconstitutional in February and he has to serve as President from jail.

Just chain him to the Resolute Desk and make him actually do the job of President. No golfing allowed. No TV time. No X'ing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nervous posted:

Just chain him to the Resolute Desk and make him actually do the job of President. No golfing allowed. No TV time. No X'ing.

There is precedent for this. People on house arrest are often allowed to commute to and from work and that's it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Prez can't pardon state crimes in NY and GA.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Naup, can't just throw out a DA, two years of investigations, and months of grand jury work. :fuckoff:

(Fulton, GA. https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23891541/2022-ex-000024-ex-parte-order-of-the-judge-1.pdf )

(But there's also a hearing scheduled for 8/10, by Superior Ct judge Schuster...)

Fani, go ahead and open the charges today. You already have two rulings in your favor, Schuster didn't file some injunction, so just announce the charges and don't worry about the hearing. :clint:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 31, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Naup, can't just throw out a DA, two years of investigations, and months of grand jury work. :fuckoff:

(Fulton, GA. https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23891541/2022-ex-000024-ex-parte-order-of-the-judge-1.pdf )

(But there's also a hearing scheduled for 8/10, by Superior Ct judge Schuster...)

Fani, go ahead and open the charges today. You already have two rulings in your favor, Schuster didn't file some injunction, so just announce the charges and don't worry about the hearing. :clint:

“And for some being the subject of an investigation can, ala rumplestilskin, be turned into golden political capital, making it seem more providential than problematic.”

L O f’ing L. Judge is just tired of Trumps nonsense.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i believe, per the long final footnote chiding trump's attorneys, this holding moots that separate civil action

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1685983002059223042

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/tristansnell/status/1686065090527641600?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1686062867148128256

Poor idiot doesn't realize his own lawyer is driving the bus that he is going to be thrown under.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

eke out posted:

i believe, per the long final footnote chiding trump's attorneys, this holding moots that separate civil action

Would this be the footnote that ends,

“… in the future, counsel is encouraged to follow the professional standard of inquiring with the chamber’s staff about timing and deadlines before burdening other courts with unnecessary and unfounded legal filings.”?

:fuckoff:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1686062867148128256

Poor idiot doesn't realize his own lawyer is driving the bus that he is going to be thrown under.

They are gonna gently caress this dude to death

gregday
May 23, 2003

Looking forward to his lawyer arguing that his “Never saw nothing” answer in DOJ interviews is not a lie because actually, it’s a double negative and he saw tons of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

They are gonna gently caress this dude to death

And he honestly has no idea, any sane person at this point would run to the feds and tell them EVERYTHING, he could probably plead it down to a misdemeanor if he would roll on Trump and Nauta, the guy just has no idea how hosed he is because he is not running screaming from Trump's attorney.