Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nielsm posted:

When I'm suggesting a lamp it's something like these I imagine:

Louis Poulsen Lighting Cirque
(Probably around $500 a piece)

Louis Poulsen Lighting Enigma 545
(Probably around $900)

Louis Poulsen Lighting PH Artichoke
(Probably around $7000)

right, pendants

you are a bit off on your artichoke estimates - it's 13k for the smallest size, up to 20k for the largest. also if you need it fixed you send it to this one place in denmark where one person knows how to fix it (they freeze him in between so he never dies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

actionjackson posted:

can you take some pictures and share?

Now that I’m actually in the new place I can take some photos of rooms that need window help and get some real suggestions soon hopefully.

BUT

Before we return to your regularly scheduled Good Design chat, I instead need help with something extremely stupid.

I want/need a rug for my home office space. Unlike the rest of the apartment where I have nice rugs, IMO the office / gamer lair should be a place for something incredibly stupid.

Unfortunately, this work of artappears to be discontinued and no longer available.

So, goons, I appeal to you. Help me find the dumbest, cheap garbage rug imaginable for my posting station. The best I’ve found so far is this one, and while I appreciate the spirit of honoring the goatman, the design doesn’t quite do it for me.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Now that I’m actually in the new place I can take some photos of rooms that need window help and get some real suggestions soon hopefully.

BUT

Before we return to your regularly scheduled Good Design chat, I instead need help with something extremely stupid.

I want/need a rug for my home office space. Unlike the rest of the apartment where I have nice rugs, IMO the office / gamer lair should be a place for something incredibly stupid.

Unfortunately, this work of artappears to be discontinued and no longer available.

So, goons, I appeal to you. Help me find the dumbest, cheap garbage rug imaginable for my posting station. The best I’ve found so far is this one, and while I appreciate the spirit of honoring the goatman, the design doesn’t quite do it for me.

This might be a job for the Aliexpress thread.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My living room is currently a mess, and I'd love some advice, especially around light fixtures, but general lay out and design tips highly appreciated.
The house is a historic Victorian, and we're trying to match that style as much as possible. Things that bring out the woodwork and the fire place tile are nice. The walls are going to be painted a light green, similar to the lightest green on the fireplace tile, with a dark green accent wall on the fireplace. Our overall style is "lived in victorian" - we're a little messy, have a bunch of little things we like to display or just leave out in the open.

There are two overhead lights that need fixtures, one in the little TV/cozy seating area, and another over the no TV sitting area. I hate seeing direct light, especially when laying down / watching TV, so I'm hoping for some kind of uplight, dimmable, possibly with a light changing bulb or something like that. Chandeliers seem like they could possibly fit the victorian vibe best, but I haven't been able to find one that looks good and doesn't have bare bulbs. I'm also down for a different style/fixture type, as long as it doesn't clash with the house. I'm also more ok with having bare/visible bulbs in the non TV area

Our dining room is going to have this tiffany chandalier, so possibly something in a similar style that is more of an uplight? I've seen a lot of tiffany style chandaliers online, but it seems like most are cheap junk - is there a good place to look for lights?

the artwork is going to change, I have a large blue and green abstract/water themed painting to put up.

We're considering getting a large, wooden framed, ornate mirror for over the fire place

We also need a better way to organize our entranceway. A coat rack, maybe a wall coat rack, maybe some sort of cubby or table to dump keys and nonsense on, but won't crowd the entranceway and matches the old wood grain/victorian style better. When we moved in, there were black particle board cubbies/square cabinets on the wall, which didn't match anything at all but were kind of convenient, maybe a nicer version of that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

This might be a job for the Aliexpress thread.

Etsy has a lot of um... weird stuff too.

Edit:

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 22, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thom Yorke raps posted:

We also need a better way to organize our entranceway. A coat rack, maybe a wall coat rack, maybe some sort of cubby or table to dump keys and nonsense on, but won't crowd the entranceway and matches the old wood grain/victorian style better. When we moved in, there were black particle board cubbies/square cabinets on the wall, which didn't match anything at all but were kind of convenient, maybe a nicer version of that.

Are those kids toys in your photos?
The kid stuf is always going to dominate, especially when they start school and have backpacks, books, muddy shoes…

Coat racks overflow immediately. We have an entryway closet with hanger pole that is used for jackets, bags, and hats. This could be replicated with a sturdy bureau cabinet.

Like I wish my entryway was just a big walk-in closet. We built when our kids were small and I underestimated how much stuff we would be dealing with every day, including my own work clothes and hobby stuff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thom Yorke raps posted:

My living room is currently a mess, and I'd love some advice, especially around light fixtures, but general lay out and design tips highly appreciated.
The house is a historic Victorian, and we're trying to match that style as much as possible. Things that bring out the woodwork and the fire place tile are nice. The walls are going to be painted a light green, similar to the lightest green on the fireplace tile, with a dark green accent wall on the fireplace. Our overall style is "lived in victorian" - we're a little messy, have a bunch of little things we like to display or just leave out in the open.

There are two overhead lights that need fixtures, one in the little TV/cozy seating area, and another over the no TV sitting area. I hate seeing direct light, especially when laying down / watching TV, so I'm hoping for some kind of uplight, dimmable, possibly with a light changing bulb or something like that. Chandeliers seem like they could possibly fit the victorian vibe best, but I haven't been able to find one that looks good and doesn't have bare bulbs. I'm also down for a different style/fixture type, as long as it doesn't clash with the house. I'm also more ok with having bare/visible bulbs in the non TV area

Our dining room is going to have this tiffany chandalier, so possibly something in a similar style that is more of an uplight? I've seen a lot of tiffany style chandaliers online, but it seems like most are cheap junk - is there a good place to look for lights?

You would have fun looking around this site, I bet. Actual lights from the appropriate period, some at prices comparable with modern stuff. Others definitely not. https://oldtownantiquelighting.com/shop/

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

peanut posted:

Are those kids toys in your photos?
The kid stuf is always going to dominate, especially when they start school and have backpacks, books, muddy shoes…

Coat racks overflow immediately. We have an entryway closet with hanger pole that is used for jackets, bags, and hats. This could be replicated with a sturdy bureau cabinet.

Like I wish my entryway was just a big walk-in closet. We built when our kids were small and I underestimated how much stuff we would be dealing with every day, including my own work clothes and hobby stuff.

We don't have kids, just like soft things.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You would have fun looking around this site, I bet. Actual lights from the appropriate period, some at prices comparable with modern stuff. Others definitely not. https://oldtownantiquelighting.com/shop/

Great! I'll check that out, thanks so much

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mutata posted:

Etsy has a lot of um... weird stuff too.

Edit:

Marvellous, the wall words have metastasised to the floor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
this is an absolutely bizarre idea and I have no idea if it exists or what terms to look for, but, you know how writing desks have those rollup wood-paneled tops? (is there a term for this?)

I have a halfwall that's about 10 feet tall, that would make a very good place to put a projector, if I cut a little cubby and built a shelf in there for it (and ran a cable/power obviously etc). The other side faces the kitchen and it'd be nice to have a motorized panel that could roll closed and cover up the projector when not in use so that it doesn't get grease/smoke from the kitchen (not ventilated the best - obviously something that would be nice to upgrade too at some point).

Is there a company who does any of that, or makes any parts that might be useful towards that end? Obviously that's broadly similar to a lot of other home-theater stuff, would crestron or some of the other home automation places be a good place to start?

edit: crestron actually appears to be a good place to start, obviously that'd be heavier duty than a shade but maybe a remote shade system hooked to whatever cover thing

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 27, 2023

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I believe the furniture piece is called a secretary.

But for your projector, you might be looking for an Appliance Garage.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

this is an absolutely bizarre idea and I have no idea if it exists or what terms to look for, but, you know how writing desks have those rollup wood-paneled tops? (is there a term for this?)

I have a halfwall that's about 10 feet tall, that would make a very good place to put a projector, if I cut a little cubby and built a shelf in there for it (and ran a cable/power obviously etc). The other side faces the kitchen and it'd be nice to have a motorized panel that could roll closed and cover up the projector when not in use so that it doesn't get grease/smoke from the kitchen (not ventilated the best - obviously something that would be nice to upgrade too at some point).

Is there a company who does any of that, or makes any parts that might be useful towards that end? Obviously that's broadly similar to a lot of other home-theater stuff, would crestron or some of the other home automation places be a good place to start?

edit: crestron actually appears to be a good place to start, obviously that'd be heavier duty than a shade but maybe a remote shade system hooked to whatever cover thing
'Tambour' is the word you are looking for the rollup wood paneled thing. This might help: https://www.cabinetparts.com/c/organizers/kitchen-organizers/appliance-garages-wood-tambour-doors

I think you might be better off with a plain sliding or hinged door of some sort though. Maybe a painting that hinges out of the way when the projector is in us and looks nice and hides it when not in use? Something motorized/automated seems like major overkill, but goons gonna goon. Why even open it through to the kitchen in the first place?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thom Yorke raps posted:

https://www.lumens.com/ or https://www.lightology.com/ are good ones. pendants are pretty good above tables because you can adjust the height - and since they are above tables, you can have them lower than normal, meaning the direct light won't be in your face, even when sitting at the table. also many pendants have diffusion which eliminates the issue.

the first gallery picture for this shows a good example of what i mean https://www.dwr.com/lighting-ceiling/pao-glass-pendant/2518791.html?lang=en_US

if you do want something with more of an uplight, you want to look at semi-flush mounts

quote:

do you have a picture and approximate dimensions? stuff that goes right on the wall is good, like https://store.hermanmiller.com/decor-basket-storage-accessories/eames-hang-it-all/6676.html?lang=en_US

For an entryway table, look up console tables - they are quite narrow by design (like 18") for entries.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 1, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I want a futon/sleeper sofa type thing for my home office. The primary use 350 days out of the year is going to be a place for me to step two feet away from my desk and lie down while the sounds of a meeting I need to be in but do not need to contribute to wash over me, and maybe a more comfortable spot to play a controller game on my PC or whatever.

Maybe a week or two out of the year, it might see actual over night guest sleeper usage. The room in question is kind of long and narrow, so in terms of sleepers, the sort that pull out to double width and use the whole length of the couch for bed length are the only kind that will work here. The old fashioned kind that place the head of the person sleeping against the back of the couch and go long won't fit in the room. That said, I have effectively infinite length to work with. (Well, like 14 feet, and I only want a 7-8 foot sofa, so).

Perhaps naively, I would like to stay under 1000 dollars. Something like the Ikea Friheten is in the ballpark, but I've never really cared for any Ikea product that involves me sitting on it.

Where else should I be looking? What else should I be looking for? How stupid am I for trying to keep this budget?

octoyam
Oct 26, 2020
What about a chaise lounge or a daybed?

octoyam fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 13, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm looking to upgrade my bedframe. I'm considering wood next - I don't like metal frames, and my old Zinus fabric-lined bedframe has gotten pretty ratty and hasn't stood up against my cat's claws. Slats, not boxsprings. I'm most concerned about durability and longevity, if I buy a bedframe I want it to last at least five years or so. Otherwise not sure what to look for in wood bedframes, or what brands to consider. Anything in particular I want to select for? Material, build type, etc.?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chevy Slyme posted:

I want a futon/sleeper sofa type thing for my home office.
It's technically not a sleeper sofa, but the IKEA KIVIK 3-seat sofa is both long and wide enough that a normal sized person can sleep comfortably on it without changing anything.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my bedframe. I'm considering wood next - I don't like metal frames, and my old Zinus fabric-lined bedframe has gotten pretty ratty and hasn't stood up against my cat's claws. Slats, not boxsprings. I'm most concerned about durability and longevity, if I buy a bedframe I want it to last at least five years or so. Otherwise not sure what to look for in wood bedframes, or what brands to consider. Anything in particular I want to select for? Material, build type, etc.?

I like the kdframes platform beds that wirecutter recommends. They're cheap and look it, but you could dress it up a bit with paint or stain. If you want something more aesthetic out of the box, they also have some modern recommendations. Both pages have write-ups about what to look for. Also, if you find something secondhand/local, know that you can get a slat replacement for a box spring from zinus and probably a thousand other interchangeable amazon brands, so you aren't limited to stuff that's built with slats.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Thuma is speaking to me, but I want a headboard and it’s like an extra $700. :gonk: Honestly though if the Thuma headboard is banger quality then I might be willing to splurge.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Putting price aside, Thuma is great as a frame. Especially came in handy when we had delays in getting new wood flooring for the new house; I was able to disassemble and reassemble by myself and put it aside in the bathroom while the flooring was being installed. And when we do eventually move, it’ll be able to go with us easily, unlike the Ikea bed we had bought for the guest bedroom. We might get a second Thuma at that point.

We like the PillowBoard that comes with it; I can’t recall if the regular headboard was an option when we bought the frame. It’s sturdy enough but also comfortable to lay against. Only downside is that it must be against the wall so it must be wedged in. I’ll have to talk to my wife about the headboard and see if we want to upgrade to it, but overall we are quite happy with their products.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

The Thuma is speaking to me, but I want a headboard and it’s like an extra $700. :gonk: Honestly though if the Thuma headboard is banger quality then I might be willing to splurge.

Thuma uses rubberwood (sometimes called parawood) for their frame and headboard. Rubberwood is the wood of rubber trees from Malaysia, which produce natural latex for a fixed part of their life cycle (iirc it's 30 years) after which they are no longer economical and are disposed of. This used to be by burning since the wood was considered junk; something about it being particularly susceptible to insects and fungus. Nowadays rubberwood gets a protective chemical treatment so it can be used in furniture. It's often presented as a "green" option since it's using up ex-plantation trees which would otherwise be burned - Thuma themselves call it an "upcycled" wood, though they don't seem to advertise the use of rubberwood any more. It whiffs of greenwashing to me but it's probably at least as green as using normal industrial hardwood so it's not really a negative.

The bigger problem I have with them is that I don't think they're being up front about what you're getting. There's nothing wrong with parawood and no reason to doubt its durability, but it's a cheap, recycled product, not a premium hardwood like oak or walnut, and IMO should be priced accordingly - more like the poplar KD frames uses. Cf this casper bed which is solid oak (probably red oak, but still nicer than parawood) and is hundreds of dollars cheaper. If you really like the design of the Thuma, or you value being able to set it up and knock it down very easily, then go for it - but just be aware of what you're buying.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that’s my concern. It’s pretty overpriced. I like the joinery aspect of it, but it’s not like I can’t handle some assembly, so :shrug: This helps me figure out price points per material - thank you!

Also, what’s the deal with headboards, anyway? Are they specific to the bedframe, or can you attach any board to any frame?

Edit: I’ve genuinely considered the Antigua: https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/antigua-solid-wood-bed-a000375456.html?piid=946690836%2C962079397 but it’s out of stock :cripes: Otherwise it’d be my pick. I have bo idea when it will be in stock again…

The Silk and Snow headboard-combo i linked above is more appropriately priced than the Thuma while also being a higher quality hardwood - acacia instead of rubber wood. Bonus, it too is castle-jointed!

Silk and Snow Wooden Bed Frame with Headboard, Queen: Solid Acacia @ $1200 $1080 (7/28/2023)
Thuma Platform Bed + Headboard, Queen: Solid Rubberwood @ $1795 (7/28/2023)

In the absence of the Antigua, I think the Silk and Snow is an attractively optimal pick.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 28, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, that’s my concern. It’s pretty overpriced. I like the joinery aspect of it, but it’s not like I can’t handle some assembly, so :shrug: This helps me figure out price points per material - thank you!

Also, what’s the deal with headboards, anyway? Are they specific to the bedframe, or can you attach any board to any frame?

If all else fails and don't you mind some extremely simple diy, or know an ok handyman, you can always attach a headboard to the wall, using a french cleat or something, so in that sense you can use any headboard with any frame. Otherwise, it depends how the headboard and frame are set up. If you buy a separate headboard at a furniture store it'll probably come with metal legs which you can bolt or otherwise attach to your frame. The old-school metal folding frames which are designed to be used with boxsprings often come with studs for this purpose. If you buy a headboard from Thuma or whatever furniture company, though, it won't necessarily be designed that way, so you can't count on mixing and matching out of the box.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gotcha, thanks! Had no idea you could attach headboards to the wall. Maybe if I ever buy property…

In the meantime, I just edited my post above to consider the Silk and Snow bedframe. Any reasons I shouldn’t get it?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pollyanna posted:

Gotcha, thanks! Had no idea you could attach headboards to the wall. Maybe if I ever buy property…

In the meantime, I just edited my post above to consider the Silk and Snow bedframe. Any reasons I shouldn’t get it?
I'd much rather have rubberwood than that chopped up mess of laminated shorts the silk and snow one is made of. There's nothing at all wrong with rubberwood. It's heavy and reasonably strong and takes stain nicely. Sure it's not especially fancy, but at your price point fancy isn't really an option.

Also lol at the Antigua one:

quote:

Made of Oak
Wood Species: Walnut
Well, which one is it?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd much rather have rubberwood than that chopped up mess of laminated shorts the silk and snow one is made of. There's nothing at all wrong with rubberwood. It's heavy and reasonably strong and takes stain nicely. Sure it's not especially fancy, but at your price point fancy isn't really an option.

Also lol at the Antigua one:

Well, which one is it?

At that price, walnut veneer over oak is my guess

Pollyanna posted:

I agree with Kaiser's take on the glued-together scraps; I don't personally like the look, and I kind of think it's bullshit to even call it "solid wood" when it's so clearly not. At the same price i'd probably take the rubberwood. Acacia (like teak) is good for outdoor furniture because it's moisture- and rot-resistant, but it's not really fancier than rubberwood for indoor stuff unless you get a big live edge slab or something. The silk and snow piece definitely feels like a closer to fair price than the thuma, even though I personally wouldn't be interested.

Just one point I'll make about the joinery. Check out this picture from Silk and Snow's website, although you can see the same thing in Thuma's product shots:

See how the tops of the joints don't quite line up with the rails, and there's an uneven gap in the seams? That poo poo would drive me crazy - it looks so sloppy. It's the work of a minute or two to sand that joint flush, but only if you test fit the pieces together at the factory before staining. Now maybe that wouldn't bother you - I'm not necessarily saying it should - but here's what Silk and Snow themselves say about their craftsmanship:

quote:

Quality Craftsmanship
We’re picky about craftsmanship, and you should be too. This wooden bed frame has been constructed by experienced craftspeople in the illustrious Vietnamese furniture industry, who value quality and durability in the same ways that we do.

If I'm gonna be picky - it's perfectly possible to get that joint smooth, even on mass produced, mostly-machined stuff. The casper bed I linked before is a good example - the join between the leg and the rails has a nice even shadow line, which is a fine choice to hide some slight unevenness in your tolerances, and the top is level. If you're spending a thousand bucks on a piece of furniture, it's not too much to ask for basic stuff like the joints lining up. (Please note I mean no offense to the illustrious craftspeople of Vietnam - this is a failure of the production process, not the individuals building the furniture. I am sure they would take the extra time if it were up to them.)

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 28, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hypnophant posted:

Acacia (like teak) is good for outdoor furniture because it's moisture- and rot-resistant,
While it is often marketed this way, it's really not true. Acacia is a genus of over 1300 species with quite widely varying properties and rot resistance (most are not particularly rot resistant, but some are). Plenty of the stuff sold as 'acacia wood' probably really isn't in any case. To me 'Acacia wood' means 'cheaply made in SE asia somewhere from god knows what brownish wood '

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is why I have goons do things for me. :v:

Okay, so maybe not the Silk and Snow one. That joint work is pretty dire when you look at it. I understand the kd and Casper recommendations now - of those two, Casper is more attractive. Unfortunately, Casper reviews are pretttty bad. I might just kick the can down the road a bit longer and see how I care with the kd.

Orrrrrr I could go whole hog and get Amish-made. :getin:

I’m learning!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 28, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Orrrrrr I could go whole hog and get Amish-made. :getin:

I’m learning!

https://www.stickley.com/pages/bedroom

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I'm once again asking for sofa recommendations.

This weekend I got a quote for $8,500 for a three seater sofa ottoman from Ligne Roset, including tax and delivery. On top of that, the lead time is 12 months for practically any option. I could pay that much ... but paying more than half of that for a sofa might impact my ability to afford other furniture I want. I tried out Hay sofas at DWR and they were really uncomfortable, and the price on pretty much everything there was not much cheaper. Figuring that American makers might be less expensive, I checked out Herman Miller and Knoll but they are just as pricey. I'm wholly against buying a knockoff but I looked just for kicks, and even a knockoff Bellini is something like $4500.

The reddit approved American furniture maker for getting an expensive look for less money is Lee Industries, but their sofas are really boring looking. Interior Define is even cheaper than Lee, but I really want a more unique and inventive design and that seems to be lacking from this sector of the market. Occasionally I see high end studios collaborating with mall companies like West Elm/Crate & Barrel, is this the only place to buy more unique furniture for something that doesn't approach five figures? Where is the middle ground these days?

As an aside, while scrolling pages of sofas in despair I discovered Irish furniture maker Orior and their poo poo is so cool. Very expensive but relatively unknown compared to the likes of Ligne Roset/HM/etc.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kreeningsons posted:

I'm once again asking for sofa recommendations.

This weekend I got a quote for $8,500 for a three seater sofa ottoman from Ligne Roset, including tax and delivery. On top of that, the lead time is 12 months for practically any option. I could pay that much ... but paying more than half of that for a sofa might impact my ability to afford other furniture I want. I tried out Hay sofas at DWR and they were really uncomfortable, and the price on pretty much everything there was not much cheaper. Figuring that American makers might be less expensive, I checked out Herman Miller and Knoll but they are just as pricey. I'm wholly against buying a knockoff but I looked just for kicks, and even a knockoff Bellini is something like $4500.

The reddit approved American furniture maker for getting an expensive look for less money is Lee Industries, but their sofas are really boring looking. Interior Define is even cheaper than Lee, but I really want a more unique and inventive design and that seems to be lacking from this sector of the market. Occasionally I see high end studios collaborating with mall companies like West Elm/Crate & Barrel, is this the only place to buy more unique furniture for something that doesn't approach five figures? Where is the middle ground these days?

As an aside, while scrolling pages of sofas in despair I discovered Irish furniture maker Orior and their poo poo is so cool. Very expensive but relatively unknown compared to the likes of Ligne Roset/HM/etc.

Roger + Chris at least gives you some customization options, so perhaps you could at least design closer to what you want.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Assuming you’re looking for more modern styles, do you have a Natuzzi store or dealer near you?

Full disclosure, I work in merchandising for the American team. But we have two brands that both have some unique styles. We aren’t as widespread in the US, so I rarely see our name come up as options for upholstery.

Italia is all made in Italy & has some very unique styles. We do stock our best sellers in one or two covers in the states, so if one of those options work for you, you could have a sofa in a few weeks.

The Editions brand is mostly made in Asia & is a little less European, but super comfortable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Idk what exactly you want, but Lee Industries is in fact great. Good quality at a fair price if you can find something there you like.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GoreJess posted:

Assuming you’re looking for more modern styles, do you have a Natuzzi store or dealer near you?

Full disclosure, I work in merchandising for the American team. But we have two brands that both have some unique styles. We aren’t as widespread in the US, so I rarely see our name come up as options for upholstery.

Italia is all made in Italy & has some very unique styles. We do stock our best sellers in one or two covers in the states, so if one of those options work for you, you could have a sofa in a few weeks.

The Editions brand is mostly made in Asia & is a little less European, but super comfortable.

Cool stuff. I’m definitely into the Colle, Apulo, Buddie, Seagull, and Longbeach in the Italia collection. Not seeing much for me in the Editions collection.

The Lee Industries sofas do look well made, but the shapes are too traditional for me (with one exception, the one arm sofa). Their textile game looks strong — I guess it’s always possible to spruce up a traditional shape with a non traditional fabric — but that’s not really my game.

The Ligne Roset sofa I wanted was the Plumy because it looks extremely comfy, the seat can flip out onto an ottoman as a chaise which I can put away due to the space limitations in my living room, the cover is washable and removable (very costly to replace the cover but still nice to have the option), and I just love the era in which it was designed and the overall casual look.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Re Stickley: we've had this chest for twentysomething years, and holy cow has it worn like iron.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Alrighty so I'm really dumb at this stuff and I'm looking for furniture layout ideas. I'm building a house and I don't know how to layout my living room. Here are the dimensions and some notes:

1. We removed the wall where I have put red X's.
2. Since this will be our main room, we will have a TV (size TBD). I want to put it on the wall on the bottom of the image across from the window and prefer not to have it above the fireplace. I think the TV should go on an entertainment center and not wall mounted, but I'm not glued to that idea.
3. My husband really wants a sectional but I'm not sure if we can put one without it feeling super lopsided. The main reason he wants a sectional is for seating spots. (We are a family of four but wish to entertain.)
4. Since the floors are hardwood, I'd like to put a large area rug.
5. My current idea is to put a couch in front of the window (top of image center) and put large cushy chairs in either corner (top left and bottom right) if the sizing is right.
6. We'd like to put bookshelves on either side of the fireplace, but that will come later.

Thoughts/ideas/pictures?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sectional goes like this so you can create an area pretending to focus on the fireplace but actually focused on the TV. Circles could be a different loveseat or individual seat or seat and table, or coffee table, etc. Top left and bottom right are separate arrangements of whatever your thing is, plants, bookcase, endtable, sculpture, piano, etc.

You can put a console table or slim organizer against the back of the sectional facing the sliders, so it has things you need coming in and going out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 11, 2023

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I guess I left the dimensions of the drawing but it's about 21' by 14'8" so it's long. If we put the couch in the middle we'd be too close to the potential tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
How big a tv are you planning on? 8' is a normal distance for a normal-size (65") 4k tv. If you want to sit 14' away you will want a 100" mega-tv or a projector

link with recommended distances

Personally I'd do Anne's layout but push the sectional to the left and put two armchairs facing each other over a chessboard in front of the fireplace but it's maybe too cute. Or if money's no object and you don't want the tv to be the centerpiece (and, honestly, dominate the room, if you get one sized appropriately for that room) get a giant custom u-shape sectional facing the window and put a smallish tv in the top right corner at an angle. It depends what you mean by "we wish to entertain" - if you mean host football parties then you want the tv to be the centerpiece, if it's cocktail parties or board game nights then that's too much tv imo