Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I love Formula 1 as much as the next person, but I would rather have a Spa day than go to Spa. This is mostly because spa days are awesome, and it rains as much as Swansea in Spa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Diet Crack posted:

You guys are loving broken - this was a good race but Hungary wasn't??

Spa was the biggest snoozefest so far

Don't get confused, those of us saying Spa was a good time also said Hungary was fun.

This thread is 10% F1 fans and 90% grumpy old fucks whinging about the 'good ol days' when a different team was dominant for a near decade

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any upgrade regulations that teams have to follow during the summer break or are they allowed to go hog wild with their upgrade packages and research so long as they remain within the cost cap?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Don't get confused, those of us saying Spa was a good time also said Hungary was fun.

This thread is 10% F1 fans and 90% grumpy old fucks whinging about the 'good ol days' when a different team was dominant for a near decade

rude

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

You guys are loving broken - this was a good race but Hungary wasn't??

Spa was the biggest snoozefest so far

Tbf max wasn't in first place for a quarter of the race which is the longest I can think of in a while?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

marshalljim posted:

Max is a good lad who means well (when he is winning by 20 seconds over his teammate).

after starting five places behind

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any upgrade regulations that teams have to follow during the summer break or are they allowed to go hog wild with their upgrade packages and research so long as they remain within the cost cap?

Mandatory factory shutdowns for two weeks or something I think

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have been the forums greatest formula one fan since 1999 and "there was a good battle for 9th" has always been the primary form of bad race cope

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have been the forums greatest formula one fan since 1999 and "there was a good battle for 9th" has always been the primary form of bad race cope

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah but we’re talking about the battle for 19th

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You're just wrong.
2014-2020, bar subtle changes, looked like this every week

Merc: Untouchable. Applied massive amounts of sandbags because they thought people would revolt if they won races by 30s*. Sometimes they'd gently caress up this balance and actually be assailable, but usually for just one stint of a race giving someone a chance to win if it was the final stint. (or the drivers rammed each other off)
[+5-10s performance deficit that we can see by race end, obviously potentially higher if you paid attention]
RBR & Ferrari: Clear second tier, competitive with each other but ultimately fighting for #2 in the WDC and the third step of the podium on a weekend.
[60s+ usually lapped by race end]
Everyone else: no one in any other team had a shot at a ""genuine"" win or even podium.
Grid spread and car deltas were much higher, meaning many races started with all the drivers going 2 by 2 down the field or close to it.

The old fantasy league had you predict the race outcome (for the top 10) and you could just leave it the same for the whole year once you'd worked out which midfield team was 7-8 and which one was 9-10.

This is a typical early hybrid era result:

This week everyone finished on the lead lap with no safety car. Cut out Max's lead and 60s covers you to 10th place.
There are currently 5 teams, half the grid, who have been competing for race wins, podiums and poles this year. We've had drivers finish in wildly different positions all season.

If you're only watching it to see the race winner maybe just follow the sport on tiktok or something.

* - it turns out they were 100% right because your brains are all loving mush after watching Max give no fucks for optics and win by half a minute every week

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nobody died in Le Belgique this weekend? Surprising outcome

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nobody died in Le Belgique this weekend? Surprising outcome

alas the thread continues

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Khablam posted:

You're just wrong.

Merc: Untouchable. Applied massive amounts of sandbags because they thought people would revolt if they won races by 30s*. Sometimes they'd gently caress up this balance and actually be assailable, but usually for just one stint of a race giving someone a chance to win if it was the final stint. (or the drivers rammed each other off)
[+5-10s performance deficit that we can see by race end, obviously potentially higher if you paid attention]
RBR & Ferrari: Clear second tier, competitive with each other but ultimately fighting for #2 in the WDC and the third step of the podium on a weekend.
Everyone else: no one in any other team had a shot at a ""genuine"" win or even podium.
Grid spread and car deltas were much higher, meaning many races started with all the drivers going 2 by 2 down the field or close to it.

The old fantasy league had you predict the race outcome (for the top 10) and you could just leave it the same for the whole year once you'd worked out which midfield team was 7-8 and which one was 9-10.

This week everyone finished on the lead lap with no safety car. Cut out Max's lead and 60s covers you to 10th place.
There are currently 5 teams, half the grid, who have been competing for race wins, podiums and poles this year. We've had drivers finish in wildly different positions all season.

If you're only watching it to see the race winner maybe just follow the sport on tiktok or something.

* - it turns out they were 100% right because your brains are all loving mush after watching Max give no fucks for optics and win by half a minute every week

2017-2020 weren’t like this. 2016 was at least compelling with Rosberg Vs. Hamilton. This season is, really,
really, really bad dude.

2014 and 2015, yeah I guess.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

didn't watch

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I thought I was a little bored by the Spa race but then I watched half an hour of today's NASCAR Cup Series Cook Out 400 at Richmond Raceway. F1 is perfect and the greatest sport ever.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Frond posted:

2017-2020 weren’t like this. 2016 was at least compelling with Rosberg Vs. Hamilton. This season is, really,
really, really bad dude.

2014 and 2015, yeah I guess.
The '22-'23 formula so far averages 40.5 overtakes per race.
'17-20 averaged 35.9 overtakes per race, which is considerably less when you factor in how many of those were Lewis/nico/max/dan starting p18 with penalties and gaining 15 places a race alone. These new cars are exceptionally reliable.
On track overtakes were very rare inside the top 6 and overwhelmingly rare for the lead.
I swear you sphere brains have absolutely no working or long-term memory and can only engage with the thing crofty or some "The Race" article is clickbaiting you with at that given second.
Do you not remember when 21 kicked off and people were like "WTF there's been a on-track pass for the lead in an F1 race!?!?"

You had two in this race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

imagine having Tony post lengths with the Tony racism removed and being nowhere near as likeable lmfao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tony quidtana posted:

imagine having Tony post lengths with the Tony racism removed and being nowhere near as likeable lmfao
March 6th, 2018: "They should just remove the halo" - tony quidtana

Get back in your hole.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Honestly, Aggressive Khablam has been the most intriguing thing of the season so far

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Jesus, the summer break seems so long already judging by this thread. When is the next race? :/

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Sorry, season has been cancelled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khablam posted:

You're just wrong.

A lot of those seasons sucked rear end op. Thank you. The nintendo switch is epic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What kind of an argument is that. "the 2015 formula one season was also bad". No poo poo idiot. Die. Die. Die!!!!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The nintendo switch is epic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is a truly goated console.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

The '22-'23 formula so far averages 40.5 overtakes per race.
'17-20 averaged 35.9 overtakes per race, which is considerably less when you factor in how many of those were Lewis/nico/max/dan starting p18 with penalties and gaining 15 places a race alone. These new cars are exceptionally reliable.
On track overtakes were very rare inside the top 6 and overwhelmingly rare for the lead.
I swear you sphere brains have absolutely no working or long-term memory and can only engage with the thing crofty or some "The Race" article is clickbaiting you with at that given second.
Do you not remember when 21 kicked off and people were like "WTF there's been a on-track pass for the lead in an F1 race!?!?"

The numbers spell disaster for Max at Sacrifice

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lewis to Max is as Tony to khablam

Move over old man, there a new piece of poo poo to hate in town, and he's much better at it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rectal Placenta posted:

Honestly, Aggressive Khablam has been the most intriguing thing of the season so far

what a loving garbage season

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 2023 tour de france. drat what a race. Even has a Netflix special for the Amerikkkans.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i just hope all of the drivers are having fun

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Khablam posted:

Well one overtake for the lead was due to Max taking a gearbox penalty and not starting on pole and just getting back to where he should have been.

What was the other one?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

smackfu posted:

Well one overtake for the lead was due to Max taking a gearbox penalty and not starting on pole and just getting back to where he should have been.

What was the other one?

Perez going past Leclerc

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

wicka posted:

The numbers spell disaster for Max at Sacrifice

I don’t think checo even has a 33 and a 1/3 chance though.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hold on guys just need to whip out the ol' calculator and cross reference some stats to decide if im enjoying the season lol

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F1 has been TD;DW since 2022 for me (too Dutch; didn't watch)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

March 6th, 2018: "They should just remove the halo" - tony quidtana

Get back in your hole.

ohh no did I hurt your feelings lmao

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
If Max DNF's the next 5 races in a row and Checo wins and gets the fastest lap in each - we got ourselves a new season folks.

Checo WDC 2023 still happening.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just realized that with my parents cancelling their Netflix subscription I will not be watching the next season of drive to survive welp. Not signing up for that garbage just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A lot of those seasons sucked rear end op. Thank you. The nintendo switch is epic.

2020 on paper looks bad but it had some really good races. Some of the best of the 1.6L era.