Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Flipswitch posted:

Painted my first miniature in ....several years, a Victor for a local game event!

:krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

brigade models monorail is coming along. i think its a perfect fit for battletech

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's perfect for BattleTech. Where'd you get that one?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nebalebadingdong posted:

brigade models monorail is coming along. i think its a perfect fit for battletech

Rad. Could put some broken mech limbs or partial chassis on the empty cargo flat if you wanted. Could even incorporate that into your scenarios as potential salvage.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's perfect for BattleTech. Where'd you get that one?

https://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Monorail.html

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
What kind of composition should one go for at low BV values with no restriction on era, only that it has to be mechs only?

At 6k, an decent assault class machine is pushing 2,500 +, leaving very little room for anything else.

Should you try to do high tech, powerful units and only bring 2, or go for the quantity approach and bring 4/5 pilots and a full lance?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Technowolf posted:

Just imagine the lovingly rendered scales on a Steel Viper 'Mech

poo poo I was wondering what I’d do for clan mechs and now I want to try this

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you wanna do scales then some of the Ghost regiments have dragons coiling around their mechs. That's a good way to go blind trying.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Flipswitch posted:

Painted my first miniature in ....several years, a Victor for a local game event!

I really like the cockpit color you used here, is it a copper or off-gold?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

lilljonas posted:

poo poo I was wondering what I’d do for clan mechs and now I want to try this

https://camospecs.com/unit/beta-galaxy-10/

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

What kind of composition should one go for at low BV values with no restriction on era, only that it has to be mechs only?

At 6k, an decent assault class machine is pushing 2,500 +, leaving very little room for anything else.

Should you try to do high tech, powerful units and only bring 2, or go for the quantity approach and bring 4/5 pilots and a full lance?

more mechs = more dice to roll on offense, and less damage concentration on defense

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I think 6k BV is a nice sweet spot for an IS Clan Invasion/LSW lance. I like making a lance with one mech of each size and I usually have enough left over for one or two skill upgrades.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
...is there no official Thunderbolt in plastic?!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's in the core box.

ETA: "how come I can't get popular core box mechs in lance packs?" is a valid question though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LaSquida posted:

...is there no official Thunderbolt in plastic?!

There are two. One in the Game of Armored Combat box, the other in the Eridani Light Horse Hunter Lance that's currently a Barnes & Noble exclusive. The ELH one can modeled jumping.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Barnes & Noble exclusive battletech minis...what a world we live in.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LaSquida posted:

Barnes & Noble exclusive battletech minis...what a world we live in.

People forget that they also carried the GW Fellowship of the Ring miniatures core box when that came out two decades ago. It was great when they decided to stop carrying them because I was able to get one for dirt loving cheap on clearance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I forget about B&N exclusives because they may as well not exist this side of the world. I remain hopeful that the Target exclusive will end up in Tesco here though.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is there a good battletech discord these days? (Especially for Alpha Strike?)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's been a hot minute since I picked up a paintbrush, so I decided to give this little Crab some friends.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

LaSquida posted:

Is there a good battletech discord these days? (Especially for Alpha Strike?)

The reddit one is fairly active

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We used to have #megamek on SynIRC. We could make a new goon BattleTech server if people were even slightly interested.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

We used to have #megamek on SynIRC. We could make a new goon BattleTech server if people were even slightly interested.

I say we should, Battletech seems to be going through a revival of sorts lately.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's what they said in 2007. That's also what they said in 2013. I don't think all the pieces are quite in play yet.

The audience is ready and willing, but the product isn't as laser-focused as it needs to be.

yeah sure why not

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That's what they said in 2007. That's also what they said in 2013. I don't think all the pieces are quite in play yet.

The audience is ready and willing, but the product isn't as laser-focused as it needs to be.

yeah sure why not

Well if a certain other games company keeps raising prices...

Also my LGS started a battletech tournament and apparently 19 people signed up. The problem (I think) is that theyre allowing only the manual and total warfare, mechs only, and no era restriction.

You would think the exclusion of tac ops would exclude a lot of the crazier stuff, but nope. Hardened armor, arrow IV, etc, are all in the battletech manual.

Which is going to result in some new player bringing 4x 3050 mechs and getting wrecked by some ilclan force.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Saint Celestine posted:

Which is going to result in some new player bringing 4x 3050 mechs and getting wrecked by some ilclan force.

Skill issue.

But seriously, BV does a pretty good job of making this a fair fight and I wouldn't feel like I was going in at a disadvantage even with a bunch of introtech of the event is capping number of units and BV.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Celestine posted:

The reddit one is fairly active

The megamek discord has channels for not-megamek battletech too

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

Well if a certain other games company keeps raising prices...

Also my LGS started a battletech tournament and apparently 19 people signed up. The problem (I think) is that theyre allowing only the manual and total warfare, mechs only, and no era restriction.

You would think the exclusion of tac ops would exclude a lot of the crazier stuff, but nope. Hardened armor, arrow IV, etc, are all in the battletech manual.

I like how the European Battletech Championship tournament format sets out a number of specific choices you can pick in each round and part of the skill is knowing which choices are good fits together and if you risk going with a less powerful mech for a better pilot or whatever. There are variants on the format where you get to pick between specific pairs, or a column A + column B setup, but they all encourage you to try out variants that you might otherwise overlook or just never bother with for faction reasons. Took me a while to grok the logic of doing it this way, but I now quite appreciate it. Free choice can result in people getting overwhelmed by all the options.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I like how the European Battletech Championship tournament format sets out a number of specific choices you can pick in each round and part of the skill is knowing which choices are good fits together and if you risk going with a less powerful mech for a better pilot or whatever. There are variants on the format where you get to pick between specific pairs, or a column A + column B setup, but they all encourage you to try out variants that you might otherwise overlook or just never bother with for faction reasons. Took me a while to grok the logic of doing it this way, but I now quite appreciate it. Free choice can result in people getting overwhelmed by all the options.

Yes, some sort of restrictions I think would help, even a era cap. This free for all with anything goes has the potential to bring gamey stuff, and then now I'm trying to think of stuff to counter their gamey stuff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Do anything gives me choice paralysis. Heck, I get frozen trying to decide what colour to paint my models

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ilmucche posted:

Do anything gives me choice paralysis. Heck, I get frozen trying to decide what colour to paint my models

paint them like the giants from attack on titan

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ilmucche posted:

2nd Donegal Guards, they're never off the table.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I realised that you can find a home for whatever Battletech scheme you try out within any faction since they'll almost certainly be some random merc unit with those exact colours in each faction.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Oh all my dudes are different colours. Patchwork mechs that all look weird

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

When I finish painting the stuff I have I wanna do a goofy Mercenary company but I don't know if I want to do pink and white or go red and yellow cuz McMercenaries (I'm Lovin' It)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

A company of UrbanMech's painted like astromech droids from Star Wars. I'm sure that's been done to death

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Purchased! Thank you, these seem really cool!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Same! I prefer to paint all of my mechs different colors as well. I just get bored painting miniatures the same color schemes over and over again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ilmucche posted:

High five buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Red and black. Are they the Kell Hounds? Are they Wolf’s Dragoons? Are they Draconis Combine? Ad fuckin nausea.